World cup soccer - South Africa 2010

UFCisGSP

Any soccer fans? The English members must be :-)

American folks - Soccer = the real football. You know, the one that is actually played using the foot... :P Just teasing. American Soccer was a pleasent surprise since 1994.

Every 4 years the most watched sport in the world is the focus of millions around the world. Will you be following? watching? rooting? who for? any bets? any predictions?

Let's have it then!

Since my national team didn't qualify (as is our custom since Mexico 1970...) I am an English fan. Every 4 years I root for England until they getted knocked out on the QF (normally by our nemesis - Argentina...) and then pass my moral support to Brazil and the Netherland.

My wish then is that England will win.

Realisticly speaking it has to be Spain or Argentina (PLEASE NO!!!) with some decent chance for Brazil.

If Spain's players stay healthy it's their year to take it. As for the dark horse, I'm picking the Ivory Coast. One of the strongest teams they've had so far and maybe the Cup being in Africa can help them make a run.

I predict an England vs Spain final.

i won't be watching 'world cup soccer' but i will be watching the football world cup, i think this one is where a team outside the normal winners will win, this is probably not going to be england though, this is our best chance since 1966 but i think we'll leave at the semi finals due to us playing well against the top teams but we make the lesser teams look good

American folks - Soccer = the real football. You know' date=' the one that is actually played using the foot... [/b']:P Just teasing. American Soccer was a pleasent surprise since 1994.

Every 4 years the most watched sport in the world is the focus of millions around the world. Will you be following? watching? rooting? who for? any bets? any predictions?

Let's have it then!

Since my national team didn't qualify (as is our custom since Mexico 1970...) I am an English fan. Every 4 years I root for England until they getted knocked out on the QF (normally by our nemesis - Argentina...) and then pass my moral support to Brazil and the Netherland.

Realisticly speaking it has to be Spain or Argentina (PLEASE NO!!!) with some decent chance for Brazil.

The most difficult thing about playing soccer is having to tell your parents that you're gay.

The most difficult thing about playing soccer is having to tell your parents that you're gay.

Play a lot, do you? How did Dad and Dad take it?

I joke!

England have a relatively easy group stage on paper, but America do have good players. England and A.N.Other will qualify from the group, although Algeria will be just happy to not get humiliated.

Portuguese so obviously rooting for Portugal. A lot of Portuguese people are saying that they wouldn't be surprised if Portugal didn't even make it out of the groups. Personally, I think they can take #1 spot in the groups if they really try. I think that's Portugal's problem a lot of the times... they don't try hard enough.

As for who will win? No idea. I'd love for it to be Portugal, but I'm not getting my hopes up. That always seems to end badly. :(

Portuguese so obviously rooting for Portugal. A lot of Portuguese people are saying that they wouldn't be surprised if Portugal didn't even make it out of the groups. Personally' date=' I think they can take #1 spot in the groups if they really try. I think that's Portugal's problem a lot of the times... they don't try hard enough.

As for who will win? No idea. I'd love for it to be Portugal, but I'm not getting my hopes up. That always seems to end badly. :([/quote']

Who is your domestic team? Let me guess - Benfica? hahaha :)

As opposed to putting on a load of padding and then playing a poor mans version of rugby!?!

Haha it makes me laugh that people give football and rugby so much cr@p. I can understand football, because there is alot of diving and theatrics. But rugby is a real mans sport, t-shirt, shorts and boots, and just smashing into eachother for 80 mins(i think). Yet the yanks have all their padding on and call rugby players wimps :rolleyes:

American folks - Soccer = the real football. You know' date=' the one that is actually played using the foot... :P Just teasing. American Soccer was a pleasent surprise since 1994.

[/quote']

Here football is like religion or more important sometimes! I will not root for Brazil. Not with a donkey leading the team. I'm rooting for France.

Ok, a few pointers:

1. We already established that since I'm a GSP **** I must be gay. So how saying I'm gay supposed to be a jab at me?...

2. Check who super models like to have fun with when they don't throw up or snort some coke.

3. No, it is not gay at all to stick your hands beteen your team mates legs while in doggy position....

4. It is ok to play sports without trying to injure the opponent... one can like UFC AND Soccer

5. If liking soccer is gay then I guess gays rule... After all, the Soccer world cup final is consistently the most watched sports event (Yes, the SB got nothing on that). But what do all these millions and millions of gay retatrds know...

American folks - Soccer = the real football. You know' date=' the one that is actually played using the foot... :P Just teasing. American Soccer was a pleasent surprise since 1994.

Let's have it then!

Realisticly speaking it has to be Argentina (PLEASE NO!!!) with some decent chance for Brazil.[/quote']

Im english and Im hoping..but dont think we will get past the quarter finals... Argentina wont go far coz thay have Maradona (who is a fukn loon) as manager.... Mexico are impressive and I think may face England in the Quarters!!!! Spain or Brazil 4 me...sadly....but who cud ever rule out italy and GERMANY (UBER ALLES)!!!

Im english and Im hoping..but dont think we will get past the quarter finals... Argentina wont go far coz thay have Maradona (who is a fukn loon) as manager.... Mexico are impressive and I think may face England in the Quarters!!!! Spain or Brazil 4 me...sadly....but who cud ever rule out italy and GERMANY (UBER ALLES)!!!

good point... It was Liniker (sp?) who said that soccer is a game that is played for 90 minutes and in the end the Germans win...

I really hope that somehow Argentina can find it in them to not qualify for the KO stages :-)

good point... It was Liniker (sp?) who said that soccer is a game that is played for 90 minutes and in the end the Germans win...

I really hope that somehow Argentina can find it in them to not qualify for the KO stages :-)

With the current Argentina, it could happen. Maradona has opted to leave Diego Milito out of his squad, despite him scoring both in the Champions League Final!

I will be rooting for the USA as usual but with no real expectations. Even though England is looking strong, I don't see them taking the whole thing or making the final. I think Brazil is most likely to take it and Spain has the players but will disapoint. And let's not forget about the Dutch, they have a wicked squad but again I think they will flop midway through.

HaHa Yea true.. although gary lineker does have a german name1!!!

I will be rooting for the USA as usual but with no real expectations. Even though England is looking strong' date=' I don't see them taking the whole thing or making the final. I think Brazil is most likely to take it and Spain has the players but will disapoint. And let's not forget about the Dutch, they have a wicked squad but again I think they will flop midway through.[/quote']

I would expect to here about some sort of split in the Dutch camp within the next week;)

I would expect to here about some sort of split in the Dutch camp within the next week;)

I know what you mean, but they seem to have quite a solid team this time with two extremely talented leaders. Plus, I believe that this time, there is more "homogenic colour composure" to be politically correct...

Nope' date=' just going on what always happens to the Dutch when it comes to a World Cup.[/quote']

Drama Queens... I have a Dutch friend that swears this is their year but my buddy from Argentina says the same thing. I don't think either will pull it off. Their are so many good teams that are capable but I think it will come down to the usual suspects.

Drama Queens... I have a Dutch friend that swears this is their year but my buddy from Argentina says the same thing. I don't think either will pull it off. Their are so many good teams that are capable but I think it will come down to the usual suspects.

I dunno man, I think if Robben performs to his best they could go far.

the dutch have always had great players but for some reason they just never quite click as a team, i hope england win but i can't see it and i think that one of the main reasons is the british media who put massive pressure on the squad and leading up to every competition claim it's their best chance to win and when they don't turn on them and undermine everything they did in the competition

With the current Argentina' date=' it could happen. Maradona has opted to leave Diego Milito out of his squad, despite him scoring both in the Champions League Final![/quote']

What are you talking about? Diego Milito is part of the squad. Probable not a starter, but he is there in South Africa with the rest of the players..

On paper, I give it to Spain. But anything can happen in a short tournament with such high level of competition. I dont understand why brits dont have more confidence in their team's chances this time around. Have looked solid during qualifiers, very experienced and successful coach, a superstar in Rooney... I see them doing well. And it bothers me, cause I am Argentinean..

footy and rugby is gay

You, sir, are a mental, or a communist, or a woman. The greatest achievement in human history is not to be derided or sullied in this manner. Gay? Pffft! I cracked my cheek in a pre season warm up game - playing with my own team mates, at that.

Thus ended the career of the best player never to pull on his country's shirt, IMO. (Note to all tired or 'refreshed' after tonight's event - I am being ironic and comical).

Edit: the football! I was so incensed by Sizzer's outrageous jibber-jabber that I forgot. Happy to see England win, though we'll never hear the end of it - 1966 is still brought up every ten minutes by every Englishman everywhere no matter what the conversation topic may be - this is why the British political system is so slow moving. But I would LOVE to see Holland win - their fans are the best anywhere.

Edit 2: Apart from the dancing Brazilian ladeez...

My favourite teams are Mexico and Portugal. Mexico however lacks height in their squad as seen in the England friendly. They were outgunned in the air, both offensively and defensively. So that's always going to be a problem in their game. Portugal, well sometimes things just don't go your way, don't see them taking it either. Spain and the Netherlands normally have probably two of the best teams on paper, but are consistent underachievers, that being said Spain does have a real chance if they get it together. Usa, England, Italy sorry just not impressed. By the way anyone remember the Dutch/Portugeese game last World Cup? That made my tournament LOL!

Archived