I put money on USA vs England - Seriously, what are my chances?

Bonobo

An elderly English fellow just conned me into making this bet with him that the US would beat England when they meet at the world cup. Keeping in mind that I know F-all about football/soccer and not ripping me a new cornshoot, am I a complete fool? Or do I have any shot at winning?

Here's the deal. England is capable of beating any team in the world. But they are capable of losing to the most unlikely ones as well...

The US team has exceeded expectations since 1994 and has a very solid base (players in shape no excuses, tactical discipline).

They have a lot of potential, but they are missing the "one player"... the likes of Ronaldo, Messi, Xavi that takes a team to the next level.

To get to the point :-) You got a 50/50 chance there.

Okay, alright...I'm not feeling completely dejected about my ill-informed bet now. But the truth is I just don't know anything about the sport and he was telling me that the US has beaten England before in world cup play (I found out later it was in 1950 :( and he went on about how the US beat Spain (I think that's who he said they beat) this year and just beat Turkey, who he claimed were good (are they? I have no idea) and before I knew it I was shaking on a bet.

I think the USA are not very good. England would have to blow it, more than they could legitmately win it. there is a talent gap there, and having guys like Rooney, guys that the americans can't produce, makes it very difficult for them to beat England. They don't have enough talent. It could be their year to over achieve but i still wouldn't bet on it.

Well lets see. Canada versus Argentia is probably about the same chances.

I belive the Argentines sqeeked out a victory there.

Honestly the trouble with non soccerplaying nations is finishing.

The CAnadians and Americans are every bit as good at passing and playing defense and all the other chit - but they have no finishers.

And that is one game where scoring is the big thing.

An elderly English fellow just conned me into making this bet with him that the US would beat England when they meet at the world cup. Keeping in mind that I know F-all about football/soccer and not ripping me a new cornshoot' date=' am I a complete fool? Or do I have any shot at winning?[/quote']

no shot at all!

Well lets see. Canada versus Argentia is probably about the same chances.

I belive the Argentines sqeeked out a victory there.

Honestly the trouble with non soccerplaying nations is finishing.

The CAnadians and Americans are every bit as good at passing and playing defense and all the other chit - but they have no finishers.

And that is one game where scoring is the big thing.

Nope. Players from nations with football tradition (specially south americans) have a different vision, craftiness and impundence. That is what makes the difference.

Nope. Players from nations with football tradition (specially south americans) have a different vision' date=' craftiness and impundence. That is what makes the difference.[/quote']

True, the countries that have more experience in the football field, have a bit more in the creative aspect than the new players. England players also have more experience in more competitive league, ie EPL. What the US team does have, is chemistry, with the exception of a few players like Altidore, the majority of the team is local based.

Archived