What is the deal with...

MMAPhoenix

What is the deal with all of you people?

Ok ok ok. I -know- I'll get flamed for this on some level, but I'm really at a loss here.

First off, yes, this is in relation to the events of UFC 114. But the real topic in question is the main event and people's reactions to it.

1st off. I had Rampage pegged to win. I thought he would lock him up and end it by TKO in the 2nd round. Well, I was wrong. Oh well.

I give some serious kudos to Rashad Evans though. He went in there, had a gameplan, and executed it as well as he could. Executed some ground and pound and even rocked Rampage. It was a good fight and though it was slow going, it was fairly techincal in nature, though some spots (2nd round) were pretty sloppy.

I don't get what is wrong with people wanting to take their opponent out of their element, and win by completely neutralizing them. Heck, even if that is a problem, in their last fights both GSP and Rashad both tried to finish the fights, GSP by numerous submissions and Rashad by Ground and Pound (as brief as it was).

So, the real questions I have are... "What is the big deal guys? What is the problem here? Why is everyone so pissed off? And why are people coming down on Greg Jackson?"

He just has no other dimensions to his game...

Well I don't know so much about that, but I'm really just wondering what the deal is with people getting all pissed off about decision victories in MMA or wrestling in MMA. I'm cool with it and I'm more of a submissions guy myself. So what gives?

Forrest vs Bonnar was a decision... And that is the most important fight in UFC history... if not (possibly) all of MMA (from a media/promoting perspective).

He won fair and square.

The thing I don't like is- All the hype, trash talk, they hate each other. Then rashad goes out there and tippy toes around and takes basicaly no risks.

That looked more like playing it safe for a title shot, rather than going for blood.

Rashad almost knocked him out. He fought stand up and wrestled. Rampage was holding as well. He just has no other dimensions to his game but striking and holding until they are stood back up again.

he knocked him down, but he was not close to out...it was a big hit that knocked him over, he was immediately up to defend the TD...

Rashad was almost knocked out in the final round...

Rampage is very one-dimensional, but that dimension is usually exciting...

nothing wrong with taking it to the ground but they have to do something with it not just lay there

this is what people dont get, and mma judges dont seem to know the rules

how many take down attempts did rashad have? he landed 2 of about 20 now who won the grapple battle? surely not rashard who had 10% success rate right? there is no credit give for rampage stopping the take downs if there was he probably wins the fight.

rashards aim was to get it to the ground and he didnt so that means rampage actually had octagon control, rampage landed more strikes as well,

if you are scoring the fight based on the rules of mma its either 29-28 rampage or 29-28 evans depending on who you gave the third round to, in no way was it 30-27 to evans because in round 2 everything he tried was unsuccessful and he got outstruck

big nog vs fedor is one of my favorite fights and 90% of that fight was in nog's guard, people just want guys to stand in front of each other and throw haymakers at all moments because they dont care about the health of the fighter and just want to see somebody's mouth piece go flying. and 90% of the people at the events are drunk and want to see the same thing. it's not Rashad's fault that he's a great wrestler, it's Rampages fault for not being able to do defend himself.. he looked awful out there, like he was 40 years old.

nothing wrong with taking it to the ground but they have to do something with it not just lay there

this is what people dont get' date=' and mma judges dont seem to know the rules

[b']how many take down attempts did rashad have? he landed 2 of about 20 now who won the grapple battle? surely not rashard who had 10% success rate right? there is no credit give for rampage stopping the take downs[/b] if there was he probably wins the fight.

rashards aim was to get it to the ground and he didnt so that means rampage actually had octagon control, rampage landed more strikes as well,

if you are scoring the fight based on the rules of mma its either 29-28 rampage or 29-28 evans depending on who you gave the third round to, in no way was it 30-27 to evans because in round 2 everything he tried was unsuccessful and he got outstruck

i said this same thing about the Penn/Edgar fight...everyone said Edgar out-wrestled Penn....when BJ stuffed 7 of 9 TDs...securing 2 of 9 TDs means you lost the grappling battle imo...

I don't get what is wrong with people wanting to take their opponent out of their element' date=' and win by completely neutralizing them. Heck, even if that is a problem, [b']in their last fights both GSP and Rashad both tried to finish the fights[/b], GSP by numerous submissions and Rashad by Ground and Pound (as brief as it was).

So, the real questions I have are... "What is the big deal guys? What is the problem here? Why is everyone so pissed off? And why are people coming down on Greg Jackson?"

don't even compare Rashad to GSP. yeah they both outwrestled their opponents but GSP works for finishes. there were 3+ submission attempts against hardy. if hardy would rather break his limbs than submit, you can't really fault GSP for that. Rashad did... nothing... against rampage. unless you count that weak **** GnP at the end. you think THAT will finish rampage?

rashad's game plan was to pin rampage and not fight. he wrestled, didn't fight. now i respect that under the rules of MMA this is legit and i can appreciate controlling an opponent (eg. Kim vs Sadollah) but Evans said he was going to beat rampage at his own game, he talked a TON of trash about how "you're head's too big and too easy to hit" ... that annoys me. because his mouth writes cheques his **** can't cash.

big nog vs fedor is one of my favorite fights and 90% of that fight was in nog's guard' date=' people just want guys to stand in front of each other and throw haymakers at all moments because they dont care about the health of the fighter and just want to see somebody's mouth piece go flying. and 90% of the people at the events are drunk and want to see the same thing. it's not Rashad's fault that he's a great wrestler, it's Rampages fault for not being able to do defend himself.. he looked awful out there, like he was 40 years old.[/quote']

I agree, Rashad talked a lot of trash but so did rampage. Fghts will happen all the time in everyday life and most wont last 15 secs let alone 15mins, all Rampage lovers should come to terms that Rashad is a mma fighter and will be technical in every1 of his fights and that wont change no matter how much someone walks around with a cranky face sayin "HE'S DEAD" lol in a months time all that will matter is that Rashad got the W!

Archived