Greg Jackson is the Norman Stone of MMA

dimalder3463

yeah it's called the 'fight to win strategy'

you'll never lose the fight if you don't give your opponent an opportunity to hit you or rip your arm off. It is also a great way to not wind up a combination of Chuck Liddell mixed with Rocky Balboa a few years later in your career.

unfortunately, not alot of fighters have the skillset and abilities to utilize this effective gameplan, otherwise everybody would be doing it.

for all of you that dont know who norman stone is.....he is the former long time trainer of john ruiz that taught him the" punch and hold/grab/hug" for the whole fight technique :D

Are you serious? Greg Jackson has one of the best camps in MMA. Rashad Evans does not hold/hug in his fights, and neither does George St Pierre. Look how well Melvin Guillard is doing now, since joining Greg Jackson camp.

based on rashads last couple of fights.....he bores me.....he bored the whole room of people that was watching the fight.....but it is what it is, that will be the last time i pay to see him, gsp, and coutore fight, there comes a point where you have to do more.....people are so hard on silva but laming his opponents out in whatever fashion you wanna call it is HIS "fight to win strategy".....rashad is losing fanbase with these performances.....gratz on the win and all, good name on your resume, but thats not the performance the majority want to see.....next time you talk trash to another fighter be real....instead of saying your gonna lay him out just say.....man im gonna pin your **** againts the cage and just lame you out, then ima drop you on the ground and not get off for 15 minutes, lol

good, if you're not watching it there will be one less person complaining, people keep thinking that fighters are supposed to be fighting for every single person thats watching them, you will never please everybody, so what's the point of even trying, everybody turns on fighters in a second, it's getting ridiculous. nobody talks about the tactic of kicking somebody's leg for 15 minutes to me thats worse than overpowering somebody in the clinch and having the ability to tackle another person that's fighting against it, try to spar in real life, educate yourself

i just wrote this in another thread so ima just copy and paste.....

damn i see there are some really *****y **** people here, lmao

lets get one thing straight.....you guys are one of millions.....MILLIONS of mma fans that enjoy the sport in their own way.....apparently not every fan is going to enjoy the same fighters you enjoy or share your same ideas.....im not taking anything away from evans, its just that him and gsp have been performing very boring lately.....and im not asking for one punch ko fights, i enjoyed the machida vs shogun fights, all of penns fights, koshchek, and others.....they dont all end in kos.....while you may enjoy a certain type of fight doesnt mean the whole world should be a fan of the sport based on your interpretation of a "good fight"

and im sorry.....buddy here is talking about the complete mma fighter won tonight?.....all i saw is boxer vs wrestler.....evans didnt use submissions, jujitsu, anything outside the wrestling element

sports fans are equivalent to movie buffs.....some people like comedys, others like action, and some like romantic movies.....same as mma.....some people enjoy action, others tactical fights, and some ground game

bottom line.....grow the **** up, respect the fact that there are other fans of the sport with a different point of view

so say your piece and move along, no need to act like your a 13 year old kid talking some brave **** behind the safety of your monitor

oh btw.....at least i can say gsp realizes his performances are dull and is actively doing something about it by training with freddy roach at the wilde card gym.....i might actually see his next fight due to the fact that it shows hes aware of the fans and is working on it

apparently there are more fans who think his fights are recently lame than there are those that are satisfied with his performance to make him train with freddy roach.....

Well he's the best coach in MMA right now. Greg Jackson teaches his fighters how to best utilize thier strengths to defeat other fighters in an intelligent way.

The plan against Rampage was a good one. For one thing going in and trading with Quinton is not a bright idea. Second Rampage has some of the best takedown defense in mma so constantly struggling for takedowns is not real smart either. He would just gas and Rampage would escape and turn it into a brawl which is dangerous for Rashad.

Im positive they knew Rashed was faster and in better shape than Rampage so why not stick and move on the outside and make Rampage chase and make him over commit. It would be good for Rampage to make it a brawl and bad for Rashad. So this stick and move strategy on the outside does three things.

1. Makes Rampage tired ( or at the very least test his cardio ) and possibly frustrates him.

2. Makes Rampage open to counter punching if he gets frustrated and comes in carless. ( See Chuck ).

3. It makes it easier for Rashad to close the distance and clinch when page does commit deep and tries to turn it into a brawl.

4. It throws Rampages timing off because Rampage has to worry about 2 and 3 above and even 1 later in the fight.

Now when the opportunity to clinch opens up you press him on the cage and make him bare your weight. This makes Quinton more tired and probably frustrates him even more. It would be stupid for Rashad to waste alot of energy going for constant takedowns against someone who is known for having one of the best TD defenses in the game. This would take away Rashad's main advantage, most likely he wouldn't get the takedown and he'd get tired trying and then he would have to fight a brawl which would play right into Rampage game.

If anything I actually like Rashad now where I didn't like him before. He's using strategy and tactics that play into his game, Pre Thiago he didn't listen and just kind of went out there and winged it. The Machida KO was the best thing that could have happened for him. He's rededicated himself and wants to fight smart not only so he can challenge for the title but for the longevity of his career.

I think he grew as a fighter if you ask me and will continue to grow.

Well he's the best coach in MMA right now. Greg Jackson teaches his fighters how to best utilize thier strengths to defeat other fighters in an intelligent way.

The plan against Rampage was a good one. For one thing going in and trading with Quinton is not a bright idea. Second Rampage has some of the best takedown defense in mma so constantly struggling for takedowns is not real smart either. He would just gas and Rampage would escape and turn it into a brawl which is dangerous for Rashad.

Im positive they knew Rashed was faster and in better shape than Rampage so why not stick and move on the outside and make Rampage chase and make him over commit. It would be good for Rampage to make it a brawl and bad for Rashad. So this stick and move strategy on the outside does three things.

1. Makes Rampage tired ( or at the very least test his cardio ) and possibly frustrates him.

2. Makes Rampage open to counter punching if he gets frustrated and comes in carless. ( See Chuck ).

3. It makes it easier for Rashad to close the distance and clinch when page does commit deep and tries to turn it into a brawl.

4. It throws Rampages timing off because Rampage has to worry about 2 and 3 above and even 1 later in the fight.

Now when the opportunity to clinch opens up you press him on the cage and make him bare your weight. This makes Quinton more tired and probably frustrates him even more. It would be stupid for Rashad to waste alot of energy going for constant takedowns against someone who is known for having one of the best TD defenses in the game. This would take away Rashad's main advantage' date=' most likely he wouldn't get the takedown and he'd get tired trying and then he would have to fight a brawl which would play right into Rampage game.

If anything I actually like Rashad now where I didn't like him before. He's using strategy and tactics that play into his game, Pre Thiago he didn't listen and just kind of went out there and winged it. The Machida KO was the best thing that could have happened for him. He's rededicated himself and wants to fight smart not only so he can challenge for the title but for the longevity of his career.

I think he grew as a fighter if you ask me and will continue to grow.[/quote']

well said.

rashad utilizes his striking in a similar way as gsp does. he utilizes it to set up takedowns, but also he sticks and runs. this can be very frustrating to an opponent. its like an offensive style machida attack.

it's a great way to not get knocked out, land some shots and throw your opponent off of his game, leaving him guessing as to what you are going to do next

however he does have a very unorthadox style for boxing. it is awfully low, yet he keeps the hands up high. this is clever for both blocking strikes as well as stuffing takedowns, but leaves you a little more prone to flying knees and whatnot, even though those kind of moves are not in quinton's playbook, which makes that style just so much more effective for rashad

Why rampage never tried to utilize any kicks in the fight is beyond me. im not a fighter or anything, but if i was rampage, the first thing i would try to do in the fight is try to land a whole lot of leg kicks to slow rashad down. it would be much harder for him to hit and run, or shoot for a takedown if its harder to spring off a sore leg.

however it does run the risk of being countered into a takedown, but in my opinion, the lack of leg kicks seemed to be a key issue in this sort of a fight. rashad was just too fast, and rampage couldn't seem to slow him down. its really hard to get the timing down and get your opponent in your range if he is moving just that much faster then you. story of the fight in my opinion

i just wrote this in another thread so ima just copy and paste.....

damn i see there are some really *****y **** people here' date=' lmao

lets get one thing straight.....you guys are one of millions.....MILLIONS of mma fans that enjoy the sport in their own way.....apparently not every fan is going to enjoy the same fighters you enjoy or share your same ideas.....im not taking anything away from evans, its just that him and gsp have been performing very boring lately.....and im not asking for one punch ko fights, i enjoyed the machida vs shogun fights, all of penns fights, koshchek, and others.....they dont all end in kos.....while you may enjoy a certain type of fight doesnt mean the whole world should be a fan of the sport based on your interpretation of a "good fight"

and im sorry.....buddy here is talking about the complete mma fighter won tonight?.....all i saw is boxer vs wrestler.....evans didnt use submissions, jujitsu, anything outside the wrestling element

sports fans are equivalent to movie buffs.....some people like comedys, others like action, and some like romantic movies.....same as mma.....some people enjoy action, others tactical fights, and some ground game

bottom line.....grow the **** up, respect the fact that there are other fans of the sport with a different point of view

so say your piece and move along, no need to act like your a 13 year old kid talking some brave **** behind the safety of your monitor

oh btw.....at least i can say gsp realizes his performances are dull and is actively doing something about it by training with freddy roach at the wilde card gym.....i might actually see his next fight due to the fact that it shows hes aware of the fans and is working on it

apparently there are more fans who think his fights are recently lame than there are those that are satisfied with his performance to make him train with freddy roach.....[/quote']

I copy pasted this from another thread I posted it in.

last time I checked you get paid to win.

Now when the opportunity to clinch opens up you press him on the cage and make him bare your weight. This makes Quinton more tired and probably frustrates him even more. It would be stupid for Rashad to waste alot of energy going for constant takedowns against someone who is known for having one of the best TD defenses in the game. This would take away Rashad's main advantage' date=' most likely he wouldn't get the takedown and he'd get tired trying and then he would have to fight a brawl which would play right into Rampage game.

i dont need you to state the crystal clear strategy of rashad.....based on his last fight vs a dangerous striker in thiago i knew that if he gets the chance to do the same to rampage that THAT is how the fight would play out....the majority of mma fans knew he would utilize his speed and wrestling to go for a decision

but im not a fan of solely using wrestling in a fight for 15 minutes.....i love watching koshchek fights because hes a wrestler who also uses his striking and goes for the submission and i used to enjoy gsp fights but he started getting lame and i do appreciate the fact that there are CLEARLY more fans bored with his last couple of fights that NOW hes training with freddy roach to improve and give the MAJORITY of the fans what they want

if one or two people have an opinion, who cares, if many people are all saying the same thing then its something to consider.....which is what gsp has noticed and is taking time to improve

bottom line, some people enjoy just watching wrestling.....thats fine....but some people want to see more than just wrestling used.....thats all

a win is a win.....and its a great one for rashad.....but some people just wanted more diversity and some people were satisfied with the win

I like this, Greg Jackson and his team are great at preparing fighters to win with effective well thought out gameplans and training. This is part of the game that I like because winning against a wide range of opponents really shows your true prowess. How well these fighters can prepare for different opponents and come out with the W shows a lot. A lot of people here doubted Rashad would even have a chance and would get caught. Gotta give it to Rashad for playing his cards rights and out manuvering Rampage. Apparently a bad **** attitude and one punch KO power aren't enough for the evolving sport of MMA.

I don't mind when a skilled wrestler takes it to the ground, uses his skills, and works his wrestling. A good ground game is like a chess match. I think, though, if you allow guys to just hold against the fence for minutes at a time, you undermine the sport by making the cage the main factor; you can't do that in a ring, or anywhere else. You are using the ring as a tool to avoid fighting. Does it tire the guy? Sure, but I'm paying $50 to watch guys fight, not tire each other out by not fighting. I think if there is no progression after 30 seconds or so, the ref should break them up. I also do not believe the judges should award points for pinning the guy to the cage without taking him down. A smart fighter, like Penn against Florian, will let the guy push him against the cage, so he can rest while the pusher tires. I mean, which should score more, holding to tire your opponent, or letting yourself be held t0 tire your opponent?

I also believe if a guy is on his knees, holding onto a leg for a take-down, the guy standing should be allowed to kick and/or knee the guy to the head/face.

Archived