Fights judged as a whole?

team_spahr

If fights were judged as a whole rather than round base added up, which fights in your opinion would change.

In this spirit of tonights main event, where rashad is getting the better of rampage for 12 minutes, and gets caught, I would say the purpose of A fight is to get that moment rampage had. And so I would probably have to say Rampage won that fight as a whole based on the fact he delt the most damage.

Another fight I think would have changed is Machida Shogun 1, with machida squeeking out his rounds, and shogun blasting him in the later rounds, I would say that is more significant and thus winning the fight as a whole.

Other notables.

Penn vs GSP #1-round 1 was a beating, and GSP snuck out the remainder of the fight

Evans vs T. Silva-silva doing a great job of controlling, but getting caught in the end(very similar to tonights match up)

Can you guys think of any?

Full fight scoring is just another reason why Pride > UFC. Real talk.

Judging a fight based on damage and effort to finish a fight more than overscored takedowns and lay and pray is a much more effective way to judge an MMA fight.

Not saying I think Rampage would have won under Pride Criteria, but a perfect example would be Wandy Vs Franklin. Wandy should have won that fight for sure.

Damage and effort to finish > takedowns and cage control

Period.

i never understood why pushing a guy into the cage was so valuable in judging criteria, its basicly octagon control. But its the equevelant of stalking a guy down on your feet, your controlling the fight, but then not throwing any punches, and in the end your the one getting tagged and falling. who wins that exchange?

Full fight scoring is just another reason why Pride > UFC. Real talk.

Judging a fight based on damage and effort to finish a fight more than overscored takedowns and lay and pray is a much more effective way to judge an MMA fight.

Not saying I think Rampage would have won under Pride Criteria' date=' but a perfect example would be Wandy Vs Franklin. Wandy should have won that fight for sure.

Damage and effort to finish > takedowns, dominant postion and cage control

Period.[/quote']

THIS!

A takedown is not winning a match. It is winning ONE part of MMA. The fact that you can beat the **** out of a guy in the stand up for half of the round, then be taken down and lose the round because of the second half is UNBELIEVABLE. One guy is trying to finish, the other guy is trying not to get finished.

Striking/Submissions>wrestling in terms of scoring. A dominant position though should be scored high. A dominant position being mount or EFFECTIVE side control.

facial damage' date=' but rampage had him out for a few seconds, causing brain damage. you chose which ones worse[/quote']

No he didn't. Rashad rammed his own fuqing head into Rampages knees, you stupid fuqer.

The most significant damage done to Rashad, make that the ONLY damage done to Rashad was done by Rashad himself.

Im a relatively new to being an avid MMA fan. Ive always watched it casually but didnt really follow the championship contenders and thus I have never really thought much about this topic. However, I agree totally with most of the points you all are making. Over all damage should decide the outcome of a fight, not who wins 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 5. I have seen way too many fights where somebody gets caught early in a round and gets hurt bad only to manage to take the other guy down, shove him into the fence and basically lay on him for the remainder of the round and somehow win the round. Another thing on that note, I understand the ground game for the most part and know its a huge part of MMA. Wrestling and takedown defense along with submission defense are the biggest part of the ground game in my opinion. However, I'd like to see the referees stand these guys up alot sooner if thier is no serious work going on, on the mat or some good ground and pound. I think stand up is so much more intriguing part of MMA and Id like to see even more of it.

Archived