Is Diego's career over?

Denominator

Mind you at one time I was a huge fan of Diego. Sanchez would grab you, keep grinding and get the takedown. He was a complete beast, and a jiu jitsu/ground and pound machine. When I saw him at the weigh ins his body looked funky. When he had previously fought at 170 and even as high as 185lbs., this dude was ripped. When he weighed in he looked kinda pudgy, with skinny arms. He didn't even look all that much larger then he did at 155lbs.

I've read about how he moved back to Alburquerque (Not sure on spelling), but that he wasn't gonna go back to Greg Jackson's camp (Huge mistake). Right when he got in the ring he was doing the same Diego movements that he has been using since Clay Guida/ Joe Stevenson. He looks absolutely horrible. I mean not even bad, but totally predictable. He always throws the same 3 punch combinations. I haven't seen him mix it up at all. I don't think he threw any body blows whatsoever, and his takedowns were freaking nowhere near what they use to be. It even seems like the UFC brass is hunting for excuses for his loss, but the fact of the matter is that even if Hathaway was bigger (Which he was, but in large part due to Diego not putting on all that much muscle mass ~ I think he weighed 178lbs. come fight time, which is WAY too low) his skills have diminished. His ground skills don't show up at all.

I know Diego is extremely motivated, but he really needs to live by living by his saying "you gotta evolve". He's not evolving, he's regressing. He throws the same 3 punch flurries, does the same faint when he goes for a takedown, and doesn't seem hungry.

I hope he goes to the Phillipines and studies over Muay Thai for a good 6 mos. before his next fight. He can't take down people that are stronger then him if he can't weaken their legs, and his boxing is extremely predictable. Here's to hoping he goes to a big camp soon.

I think he needs to go back down to 170lbs Hathaway was man handling him. He was actually pretty good at Lightweight' date=' and in Welterweight he is just gonna get smashed unless like you said he evolves//changes camps.[/quote']

i agree 155 would be better for him i would say at this moment to many big strong guys at 170

I never was a big fan of Diego's. I think he is kind of annoying. Who knows, maybe he will never be the same after what BJ put him through...

Whether he stays at WW or goes to LW I think he is just gonna be one of those guys that are perpetual top 10ers or so but never actually achieve glory...

Hathaway seems blessed with keeping his strength despite what looks like a tough cut to get to 170. Sanchez looked bigger than Hathaway at the weigh in but smaller than him in the fight.

I think either Sanchez should move back down to 155, where he belongs in my opinion or be happy as a gatekeeper at 170. I'd like to see him fight someone like Swick at 170 or KenFlo at 155 (which won't happen unless Florian gets beat in his next fight).

I thought that 170 would be better for him, but yesterday he got dominated by Hathaway's superior size and reach. We all thought it would increase his power and speed, but that didn't really seem to count for much when every time he tried to do anything, Hathaway just punished him.

As far as I'm aware, he moved up partly because he knew he'd never be able to beat BJ and claim the LW belt, but after yesterday, I think he'll be more competitive at LW then he ever could be at WW.

Once BJ vacates the title, who knows where Diego could find himself.

i think he needs to move down again in weight class and change his training camp. he just was not the same diego as before. give credit to his chin though. neither hathaway nor bj could put him away for good. i hope he bounces back from the two losses.

not sure if it is over...he certainly doesn't look sharp in there...getting tagged early pretty much takes the fight out of him....I'm thinking he will get smashed at WW...

that is exacly what happened to diego in his last 2 fights, got tagged early and just gets scared to get hit again, still no one has been able to knock him out.

not sure if it is over...he certainly doesn't look sharp in there...getting tagged early pretty much takes the fight out of him....I'm thinking he will get smashed at WW...

I agree with this statement, hell need to bulk up a fair bit if he is to face the likes of Rumble, Hardy etc who all cut a lot to get to WW

i completely agree with topik starter. I was thinking the same, in his last few fights all diego does is the same punch compinations, get some distance and make a small explosion with 1-2-3 that barely conects. HIs takedowns are not what they used to be, he would grab your leg like a mad dog and eventually take you down, and then its all diegos game. But not for some time now. He definetely needs new aspects to his game. He is not over, he just needs to be smarter and try new things and different training. I think also his whole persona is hurting him, this overconfident ego and maniac cartonish ways are stoping him from concetrating and evolving..

His head movement is terrible. He needs to focus on boxing defense I reckon. His aggressiveness might be exciting and all but he is in the big leagues now and if he can't get someone down on the first attempt he is going to be eating a lot of punches. He has a pretty good jaw though.

I'm not even going to take the time to read the BS post that accompanies the title of this thread. This was Diego's 4th loss...how the hell is his "career over"???????

****ing moron...

Yeah, I think I should have stated the end of his career in the UFC. My mistake on that part. He has a phenomenal record, it's just that he is getting beat alot lately, and is showing alot of holes in his game.

I think if he went back to 155lbs. the results would be the same. He just looks predictable to me. Same combinations, same faints, lack of head movement (Which another member pointed out, but I didn't realize till he said so). He does have a great chin, but he shouldn't be getting knocked around soo much if he had good defense to begin with. I honestly don't see him as a top 10 fighter in either weight division. I think that Eddie Alvarez (Who looks ten times better now that he has bulked up) would annihilate him at 155lbs.

I hope he changes camps soon, cause he may be in danger of being cut if he does not.

Archived