Sign in to follow this  
Bonobo

Wont it be nice if these so called "lay & pray" fighters keep dominating...

and drive away the wannabe fans who know f-all about MMA and are only interested in seeing two talentless goons stand toe to toe and throw sloppy haymakers until one of them drops?

Wouldn't that be awesome :)

It would be even better if every time there were a bunch of exchanges on the feet the ref would intervene and sit the fighters down. You know, because they weren't doing enough to control their opponent.

and drive away the wannabe fans who know f-all about MMA and are only interested in seeing two talentless goons stand toe to toe and throw sloppy haymakers until one of them drops?

I'm with ya on this one.

it would :)

Nope, MMA needs the fans. Without them we will never have people who have trained since they were 7 years old and are as exceptionally good and get paid 5 mill a fight like they have in boxing.

It would definitely be great to see more people come in with elite wrestling abilities both defensively and offensively though.

Wrestling.Come on now if we wanted to watch wrestling we would watch a wrestling match.Last time i heard this is MMA. The people that wrestle cant strike nor have bjj.Look at Carwin for instist his wrestling is out of this world and not a P-ussy he'll stand there and strike

regardless if his opponent is a better striker.Those are the fights that makes MMA popular and interesting.Not this lay and pray croup cus he a better striker so ima do this all through the rounds.Its predictable who wants to watch a fight like that

Mmm on the flip side... casual fans would stop watching.

This would take away revenue from the company.

I don't give a rats **** about revenue for the company...MMA has gotten worse in a lot of ways over the past few years not better...the line is becoming so blurred between the UFC and pro-wrestling that I'm ashamed to admit I'm a fan sometimes. More money doesn't always translate into a better product. McDonalds started as an awesome little one shop restaurant that served, real ice cream milkshakes, giant juicy burgers on fresh baked buns and hand cut fries...now their a mutli-billion dollar franchise and their food is slop. The UFC is making McMMA and it's not an improved product.

just because you like to watch fights that entertain you, & cheer for fighters who actually fight aka Throw strikes,

doesn't make you a noob or an idiot, or someone with no knowledge.

i'd watch college wrestling if i wanted to see wrestling for points.

there is a side to every complaint, so your better off just sitting down, & shutting the front door.

You are maybe the most annoying unintelligent person ever. The only nice thing would be you leaving this forum. Give it a rest man, we get it Rashad won by sleeping on Rampage, your trolling is about as boring as the fight was.

I don't give a rats **** about revenue for the company...MMA has gotten worse in a lot of ways over the past few years not better...the line is becoming so blurred between the UFC and pro-wrestling that I'm ashamed to admit I'm a fan sometimes. More money doesn't always translate into a better product. McDonalds started as an awesome little one shop restaurant that served' date=' real ice cream milkshakes, giant juicy burgers on fresh baked buns and hand cut fries...now their a mutli-billion dollar franchise and their food is slop. The UFC is making McMMA and it's not an improved product.[/quote']

Then go watch some underground MMA. That is about the level of fighters you will be seeing without a good amount of cash from fans to back up the price of training, travel and profit.

I bet your mommy says she wishes she would have done the world a favour yanked you from her **** with a coat hanger :)

Ha you so funny.To bad i was in the process of ****ing ur moms old **** *****mmmmmm tasted like blue cheese

just because you like to watch fights that entertain you' date=' & cheer for fighters who actually fight aka Throw strikes,

doesn't make you a noob or an idiot, or someone with no knowledge.

i'd watch college wrestling if i wanted to see wrestling for points.

there is a side to every complaint, so your better off just sitting down, & shutting the front door.[/quote']

You're right, it doesn't necessarily make you an idiot that you prefer to see striking as opposed to ground-fighting...what does make you, and your ilk, idiots is that you choose to watch a sport where wrestling and grappling makes up 50%, if not more, of the action.

You and those like you are not MMA fans...you're fight fans but you're not mixed martial arts fans. the only reason you're here and the only reason you watch is because it's popular. People like you would enjoy K1 far more but it's not the "in thing"...it's not "cool & trendy" so instead you watch a sport where you dislike half of what it entails. Not too bright in my humble opinion :)

Ha you so funny.To bad i was in the process of ****ing ur moms old **** *****mmmmmm tasted like blue cheese

So you confess to eating out old lady **** and that's somehow supposed to burn me?

Okie dokie pal...good one :rolleyes:

To all those latent homosexuals who defend the ground game (pardon me, holding on the ground game) so frenetically and reply to disappointed people who want to see the complete fight that includes MIXED MARTIAL ARTS with sentences like: GO WATCH K-1 or BOXING i have to say only this: IF YOU HATE STRIKING SO MUCH, GO WATCH WRESTLING or GRAPPLING CONTESTS!

God, you ground game only defenders are so ignorant that it makes me sick. It's not about striking only, it' not about grappling only but if there is a match where there is only striking involved, there is also DAMAGE involved. In wrestling there is no DAMAGE done, so all you fools need to realize that wrestling should be only used as a BASE that will allow you to deliver at least some damage to your opponent. Scoring system has to change and bringing the yellow cards like in Pride is a must. So then, Rashad could make a living selling all those yellow cards he would get for STALLING and doing NOTHING to his opponents (somewhat like GSP post Serra defeat).

Ignorant noobs...pathetic. No other word...

Cheers

Realistically, the only laying and praying that I have witnessed RECENTLY is Rashad Evans in his past two fights, and before that (somewhat the same concept) Randy Couture vs. Brandon Vera. I don't see which "lay & pray" fighters are dominating, considering none of them are champions?

Grappling is trying to improve your position to inflict more damage or attempt a submission.

Rashad pressing Rampage into a cage or Fitch doing nothing while staying in side control is not grappling.

People like you would enjoy K1 far more but it's not the "in thing"...it's not "cool & trendy" so instead you watch a sport where you dislike half of what it entails. Not too bright in my humble opinion :)

Oh, go back to smoking clove cigarettes and listening to obscure bands you MMA hipster.

Realistically' date=' the only laying and praying that I have witnessed RECENTLY is Rashad Evans in his past two fights, and before that (somewhat the same concept) Randy Couture vs. Brandon Vera. I don't see which "lay & pray" fighters are dominating, considering none of them are champions?[/quote']

Jon Fitch's 12-1 record looks pretty dominating. Gray Maynard is 7-0. How many strikers boast those sort of win streaks in the UFC?

Jon Fitch's 12-1 record looks pretty dominating. Gray Maynard is 7-0. How many strikers boast those sort of win streaks in the UFC?

I hear some guy called Anderson something is pretty good at it, his friend Machida is no slouch either.

Realistically' date=' the only laying and praying that I have witnessed RECENTLY...[/quote']

Lay n Pray is just a term tossed around by know-nothing noob fans who want to sound knowledgeable by using mma lingo...and it appeals to them because it rhymes but they don't really know what it means. GSP doesn't ever do it, Rashad didnt do it, last night, Koscheck didn't do it against Daley. All of these guys are constantly throwing punches, hammerfists and elbows and looking for submissions. That is not lay n pray.

You are maybe the most annoying unintelligent person ever. The only nice thing would be you leaving this forum. Give it a rest man' date=' we get it Rashad won by sleeping on Rampage, your trolling is about as boring as the fight was.[/quote']

I contend that his trolling is actually much MORE interesting then the fight was. Watching these idiots who like wrestling defend their gay **** style is kinda funny. That fight wasnt interesting or funny at all.

I'm pretty sure he has given us more action on the forum then a wrestler ever will in a match.

Lay n Pray is just a term tossed around by know-nothing noob fans who want to sound knowledgeable by using mma lingo...and it appeals to them because it rhymes but they don't really know what it means. GSP doesn't ever do it' date=' Rashad didnt do it, last night, Koscheck didn't do it against Daley. All of these guys are constantly throwing punches, hammerfists and elbows and looking for submissions. That is not lay n pray.[/quote']

Kos threw little shots here and there to keep the ref from standing them up, but that was honestly lay n pray. GSP honestly doesn't really lay n pray.

Rashad has NEVER gone for a submission and threw like 10-15 shots on the ground. None against the cage. He was layin' and prayin' like a robot controlled by Greg Jackson himself.

Lay n Pray is just a term tossed around by know-nothing noob fans who want to sound knowledgeable by using mma lingo...and it appeals to them because it rhymes but they don't really know what it means. GSP doesn't ever do it' date=' Rashad didnt do it, last night, Koscheck didn't do it against Daley. All of these guys are constantly throwing punches, hammerfists and elbows and looking for submissions. That is not lay n pray.[/quote']

None of those guys, EVER throw a punch, GSP tried 2 submissions in 25 minutes, and ****ed em up, and a dinky **** little hammer fist from 3 inches away is not ground and pound. Its patty cake to try to trick the ref into not standing your lay and pray **** up.

So sorry *** but ALL of those guys are lay and prayers, and ALL of them did it on those fights.

You must be the worst MMA fan ever. Why dont you go watch college wrestling?

What GSP does, and what Rashad does are two completely different things. GSP is constantly fighting for position, passing guard and attempting submissions or delivering damage to his opponent. I'm sorry you're an Evans fan, but Rashad did none of that against Rampage. He held him up against the cage and when he did take him down, he threw about 10 punches maximum in the 15 minutes. And don't get me started on Koscheck .. he was whispering in Daley's ear, not throwing "punches, hammerfists and elbows."

Wrestlers that have literally done no work when taking their opponent to the ground as of more recently: Couture, Evans, Maynard & Fitch (take a wild guess why they aren't getting title shots after dominating their respective divisions).

You don't think Dana & Joe Silva catch onto this sort of thing? What other explanation is there for Frankie Edgar getting a shot before an undefeated fighter who BEAT HIM? Or the fact that Koscheck is getting a title shot before a guy who beat Paulo Thiago, who knocked Koscheck straight onto his back? Although MMAth is usually pretty stupid, it shows some validity here. The fighters who "lay and pray" are not dominating, but rather are squeaking out victories and slowly earning title shots. Rashad just happens to be a golden boy in a division where there is literally NO competition.

You're right' date=' it doesn't necessarily make you an idiot that you prefer to see striking as opposed to ground-fighting...what [i']does[/i] make you, and your ilk, idiots is that you choose to watch a sport where wrestling and grappling makes up 50%, if not more, of the action.

You and those like you are not MMA fans...you're fight fans but you're not mixed martial arts fans. the only reason you're here and the only reason you watch is because it's popular. People like you would enjoy K1 far more but it's not the "in thing"...it's not "cool & trendy" so instead you watch a sport where you dislike half of what it entails. Not too bright in my humble opinion :)

i do watch k1... i'm a big fan of the zombie before his WEC fight, i watch bellator, i watch all sengoku. i'm a big fan of Dan Hornbuckle who has never once fought in the UFC. i don't cheer for fighters or watch certain organizations because it is the 'cool' thing to do. i'm entirely an individual who sticks with the same fighters i am a fan of because of their attitude, fight style, potential & accomplisments & it doesnt change just because someone takes a Loss. i'm no fairweather MMA fan.

i'm not a fan who prefers standing strikes to ground game, i'm a fan who prefers finishing fights, whether on the ground or standing as opposed to controlling fights just for points

i LOVE a good ground game, i love watching demian maia fight, or terry etim, or dustin hazelett or Kendall grove. guys who can finish fights on the ground & try to advance position. i do not like to watch wrestling for points, that does not make me a anymore of a 'fight' fan or any less of an 'MMA' fan, it makes me someone who likes action not fighting for decisions.

Two guys enter the cage under a set of rules. Both men can use those rules to win. If one guy cant stop being controlled for 3 rounds, then he loses. He can punch, kick, and knee his opponent to stop being taken down. If he cant, then its over. Simple as that. Entertaining or not, its still a sport and not all wins are pretty.

ok just a minute

everyone is now getting confused between "lay 'n' pray" and "grappling"

did NO ONE notice a rather marvellous grappling-dominated fight between Brills and Lil Nog?

ok the decision was bad, but christ it got fight of the night!

if you dont understand the grappling side, watch some abu dhabi tournaments or a jiu jitsu instructional video (it would take 2 mins of your time)

i agree people like jon fitch and matt hughes arent fantastic to watch these days with their "safety first" approach to winning a fight

but if you watch fights like Brills vs Nog and G-Sot vs Joe Daddy (even the Stun Gun vs Sadollah match up) you will see that not all grappling-based matches are boring!

even striking can be boring sometimes, Escudero and Lauzon were getting booed throughout most of the fight

x

Yes' date=' driving millions of fans away and the UFC losing millions of dollars just to give us a bit of peace, that would be very nice.[/quote']

Like I stated earlier...

I don't give a rats **** about revenue for the company...MMA has gotten worse in a lot of ways over the past few years not better...the line is becoming so blurred between the UFC and pro-wrestling that I'm ashamed to admit I'm a fan sometimes. More money doesn't always translate into a better product. McDonalds started as an awesome little one shop restaurant that served' date=' real ice cream milkshakes, giant juicy burgers on fresh baked buns and hand cut fries...now their a mutli-billion dollar franchise and their food is slop. The UFC is making McMMA and it's not an improved product.[/quote']

Yes, it would be awesome.

nothing wrong with a fight being on the ground if the guy on top actually does something

and doesn't just lay on top counting down the minutes left in the fight

also nothing wrong with clinching the guy against the fence if your actually going to do something ex: shane carwin smashing mir

but there will always be guys like rashad and gsp who will do what they have to win

not caring how bad it makes them look to some fans

ok just a minute

did NO ONE notice a rather marvellous grappling-dominated fight between Brills and Lil Nog?

ok the decision was bad' date=' but christ it got fight of the night!

if you dont understand the grappling side, watch some abu dhabi tournaments or a jiu jitsu instructional video (it would take 2 mins of your time)

i agree people like jon fitch and matt hughes arent fantastic to watch these days with their "safety first" approach to winning a fight

but if you watch fights like Brills vs Nog and G-Sot vs Joe Daddy (even the Stun Gun vs Sadollah match up) you will see that not all grappling-based matches are boring!

even striking can be boring sometimes, Escudero and Lauzon were getting booed throughout most of the fight

x[/quote']

+1

It would be even better if every time there were a bunch of exchanges on the feet the ref would intervene and sit the fighters down. You know' date=' because they weren't doing enough to control their opponent.[/quote']

LOL...nice work.

nothing wrong with a fight being on the ground if the guy on top actually does something

and doesn't just lay on top counting down the minutes left in the fight

also nothing wrong with clinching the guy against the fence if your actually going to do something ex: shane carwin smashing mir

but there will always be guys like rashad and gsp who will do what they have to win

not caring how bad it makes them look to some fans

+1. Exactly.

ok just a minute

ok the decision was bad' date=' but christ it got fight of the night!

x[/quote']

Very true. But people who are fanboys of wrestlers like to confuse the issue by claiming that if your bored by a lame wrestling match where they are just fighting for points and control then you must not like any grappling or ground work at all.

Its a straw man argument and a pretty weak one at that. But that never stops them from trying it.

Very true. But people who are fanboys of wrestlers like to confuse the issue by claiming that if your bored by a lame wrestling match where they are just fighting for points and control then you must not like any grappling or ground work at all.

Its a straw man argument and a pretty weak one at that. But that never stops them from trying it.

yer everyone is entitled to their own preferences, i just think most MMA (UFC/casual fans in general) dont realise just how bloody spoilt they are with these cards

out of 8 - 13 fights (on average including fight nights, finales etc), if only 1 or 2 fights end up being mild sleepers because the fighters for whatever reason didnt show any finishing initiative, i think that is a pretty good result

besides, if there are so many "lay 'n' pray" fighters competing now, then it is the opponents fault for not developing their game or at least attempting to learn how to get up/off their back etc

am not much of a GSP fan and i am a HUGE dan hardy fan, but i whole heartedly accept that the outlaw is the only one to blame for how that fight went

x

thats almost sig worthy material right there

thats both god damn funny, and pathetic

Wrestling is killing MMA, It was cool back when they used to it GnP but nowadays its more of less a way of controlling your opponent and winning on points without really trying to either inflict damage or finish your opponent i.e Rashad and Koscheck coasting to title shots.

I say let them fight then tell them the winner gets a title shot because instead of the fighters coming in hungrier, They are coming in safer and less inclined to get into an exchange if they have even the tiniest bit of wrestling pedigree up their sleeves.

Wrestling is killing MMA' date=' It was cool back when they used to it GnP but nowadays its more of less a way of controlling your opponent and winning on points without really trying to either inflict damage or finish your opponent i.e Rashad and Koscheck coasting to title shots.

I say let them fight then tell them the winner gets a title shot because instead of the fighters coming in hungrier, They are coming in safer and less inclined to get into an exchange if they have even the tiniest bit of wrestling pedigree up their sleeves.[/quote']

I think the UFC is getting better at not rewarding it. You dont see Fitch getting a title shot again do you? I dont think Rashad would have either if there hadnt been so much hype behind this fight. Sooner or later the wrestlers will understand that being boring wont get you a title shot no matter how many wins you have.

DW needs to just talk to all the wrestlers and point out John Fitch and Greg Maynard as examples of what will happen if you keep that crap up.

yes

quit making so many damn threads...

Most of these people complaining are just ghetto trash and white wann-bes upset their joke of a fighter got completely owned. They aren't concernd about "lay and pray", they are concerned their hero was humiliated, and hence they too, since most of those retards spent months saying that rampage would kill Rashad etc.

Most of these people complaining are just ghetto trash and white wann-bes upset their joke of a fighter got completely owned. They aren't concernd about "lay and pray"' date=' they are concerned their hero was humiliated, and hence they too, since most of those retards spent months saying that rampage would kill Rashad etc.[/quote']

No most of us are people who dont like ****ty cowardly wrestlers coming in with the game plan to eke out a point victory rather then fighting to end the fight.

Look its okay you wrestled in school. I'm sure you had a great reason for thinking it was cool to wear tight spandex and roll around with sweaty men. I understand that until recently people like you had to be quiet about your orientation and had to find ways to indulge it that was socially acceptable.

But really dude, its 2010, join the parade in San Fran and get the hell out of our sport with your lame excuses.

No most of us are people who dont like ****ty cowardly wrestlers coming in with the game plan to eke out a point victory rather then fighting to end the fight.

Look its okay you wrestled in school. I'm sure you had a great reason for thinking it was cool to wear tight spandex and roll around with sweaty men. I understand that until recently people like you had to be quiet about your orientation and had to find ways to indulge it that was socially acceptable.

But really dude' date=' its 2010, join the parade in San Fran and get the hell out of our sport with your lame excuses.[/quote']

That's so true! :))

At least you helped him get out of the closet!

I honestly can't believe anyone with sane mind can defend Rashad's performance and actually be a fan of that type of a "fight". I mean seriously, those people are definitely not MMA fans.

Cheers