Thoughts On UFC 114

darkthrone99

So what did everyone think of the overall event? I thought on the whole there were some really interesting fights and for me it's probably been the standout UFC of 2010 so far. As usual though the main event was a washout because one guy (rashad) was so afraid of getting hit that he danced around like a fairy on meth and held the other guy against the cage until he got the points win. He almost looked ashamed in the press conference, he could barely keep his head up. At the end of the day if certain people (GSP and others) have a problem with getting punched then don't become a ****ing pro fighter.

It's pretty obvious that the mentality for a lot of fighters now is to treat fights like athletic events rather than fights which means nothing but more holding against the cage for a decision victory in the hope you have greater stamina. On another point I thought rampage just looked plain old and tired. He's never impressed me much but last night just reinforced my opinion of him as a fairly slow, flat footed banger and not much else. His time at the top may be over just like dan henderson's. Two legends of the sport who simply haven't evolved enough.

worst pay per view of the year they need to stop promoting these fights so much if this is how the main event is going to be one guy comes to fight and throw bombs and the other comes to hold him against the cage. prayin that shogun devastates rashad

So what did everyone think of the overall event? I thought on the whole there were some really interesting fights and for me it's probably been the standout UFC of 2010 so far. As usual though the main event was a washout because one guy (rashad) was so afraid of getting hit that he danced around like a fairy on meth and held the other guy against the cage until he got the points win. He almost looked ashamed in the press conference' date=' he could barely keep his head up. At the end of the day if certain people (GSP and others) have a problem with getting punched then don't become a ****ing pro fighter.[/quote']

I just really wish people would quit *****ing about how rashad won the fight...its called gameplan look it up...im sure if you were a pro fighter you would stand toe to toe with someone that has tremendous knockout power instead of fighting safe and doing wat your good at

If the fight hadn't been hyped up so much, especially the main event, it would have been an okay event. But considering that the main event was lackluster to say the least, I didn't find it very entertaining.

I'm not really a rashad or rampage fan, but I expected it to be an all out war in there, and it was not. I was very dissapointed that rampage didn't capatalize on his opening he had in the 3rd to finish it. Maybe it was ring rust...who knows. I was disapointed. That said, there were a few impressive showings for sure. The guy who fought lil nog, that was awesome, and he was robbed of the win cuz of nogs name, if nothing else. But thats what happens when you leave it to the judges. Bisping, meh, I wanted to see him get his face caved in again, and that didn't happen, but he didn't allow Dan Miller to execute his game plan.

As far as the greg jackson stuff, I dunno. Gameplans are okay, but really, its getting old in my opinion. I have all the respect for the fighters for sure, as they are doing something that I know I never could, but I wanted to see a fight, not a boring **** chessmatch.

I knew Rashad was going to win,too. It was so obvious. This sport is called The Ultimate fighter, not the best street brawler. If you want to see that, then by all means,go log on to the old Kimbo Slice pics and vids. Leave this sport for us tactical fighter lovers. See you haters are always upset because you see the promos of split second strikes and knockouts in the commercials and think that's what it's all about. But the truth is far from it. What you're seeing is something that takes place after 3/5 rounds of back and forth fighting maneuvers. And those are the few that aren't left up to the judges, which most in a ring do.

I knew Rashad was going to win' date='too. It was so obvious. This sport is called The Ultimate fighter, not the best street brawler. If you want to see that, then by all means,go log on to the old Kimbo Slice pics and vids. Leave this sport for us tactical fighter lovers. See you haters are always upset because you see the promos of split second strikes and knockouts in the commercials and think that's what it's all about. But the truth is far from it. What you're seeing is something that takes place after 3/5 rounds of back and forth fighting maneuvers. And those are the few that aren't left up to the judges, which most in a ring do.

I don't really like Page but calling him a street brawler is just stupid. And I like tactical fights but I also enjoy a good old slugfest like Garcia vs zombie.

By the way, my thoughts on 114 are: Rashad v Rampage- excellent. It was obvious Rashad was going to use other tactics aside from striking just because he was going up against a stiker. Common sense tells you or anybody in a fight use your skills without limiting yourself to one style. Duh. Nogiera v Brilz- another excellent fight! This is one of those seldom fights were a guy can strike, kick, mangle, just shy of mameing his opponent but if the results don't show from it, it was all for nothing. Watching Nogiera take a beating and still follow up with counters reminded me of Couture. Once Randy was bathed in his own blood and he still won. That's what I saw in the Nogiera fight. It was cool. M. Guillard- excellent job again. Russow- way to go! All fights were good, but the one I was disappionted with was D.Sanchez. What in the world was that?! It was as if he was never taught the boxing part of this sport. Nor the jiu-jitsu when he was topped by Hathaway. Sanchez kept trying to takedown Hath. with dismal results that had me flashback to his loss with Penn. And unlike Nogiera, D. was so afaid of getting hit he disregarded any technique of close combat striking, as what fighters have to do when confronting long reaching opponents. Whoa! What happened?! Aside from that the night was good. I'm still baffled, but never the less, it was great fightnight. Seeya after 115!

I don't really like Page but calling him a street brawler is just stupid. And I like tactical fights but I also enjoy a good old slugfest like Garcia vs zombie.

Everyone enjoys a slug fest. Sure I'm being politicaly incorrect about kimbo but yall know what I mean. UFC. Ultimate. that's how it is, that's how it's gonna stay.(knock on wood)

By the way, my thoughts on 114 are: Rashad v Rampage- excellent. It was obvious Rashad was going to use other tactics aside from striking just because he was going up against a stiker. Common sense tells you or anybody in a fight use your skills without limiting yourself to one style. Duh. Nogiera v Brilz- another excellent fight! This is one of those seldom fights were a guy can strike, kick, mangle, just shy of mameing his opponent but if the results don't show from it, it was all for nothing. Watching Nogiera take a beating and still follow up with counters reminded me of Couture. Once Randy was bathed in his own blood and he still won. That's what I saw in the Nogiera fight. It was cool. M. Guillard- excellent job again. Russow- way to go! All fights were good, but the one I was disappionted with was D.Sanchez. What in the world was that?! It was as if he was never taught the boxing part of this sport. Nor the jiu-jitsu when he was topped by Hathaway. Sanchez kept trying to takedown Hath. with dismal results that had me flashback to his loss with Penn. And unlike Nogiera, D. was so afaid of getting hit he disregarded any technique of close combat striking, as what fighters have to do when confronting long reaching opponents. Whoa! What happened?! Aside from that the night was good. I'm still baffled, but never the less, it was great fightnight. Seeya after 115!

I was pleasantly surprised by some of the undercard bouts, as mentioned. Even if some of the guys I wanted to win didn't (or did when they didn't, i.e. Nog), I was satisfied with the undercard.

I had a feeling the main event might go that way, which was a disappointment. I am all for a wrestler using wrestling, but I think if there is no progression with both guys standing against the cage, the ref should break it up after 30 seconds. There were like 2 or 3 decent power shots, and a couple of take-downs in the whole 15 minutes. No real exchanges, no real ground game. I like both these guys, and Rashad trains here, but this fight didn't excite me.

Overall it was a decent, but not great, night of fights. They should always save the best unaired prelim to show after the main event, just in case it's a let down like this.

This was definitely not a fightcard to be remembered. There were a couple of decent fights but, overall I thought it was a waste of $45. I'd rather have waited and watched it free on Spike.

I had a feeling that the main event was going to be a bit of a disappointment. That being said, I was impressed with Bisping as he seemed to have definitely improved his game and was actually committing himself to beating Miller's ****. Not to take anything away from Miller though. He is tough as nails and a great and worthy opponent.

The lil Nog vs Brilz fight was the best fight of the night and definitely deserved the $65K purse that came with it.

I love this sport and I love fighting in general. So, I'm always a bit emotional before, during and after the fights. I was kinda let down with the overall event last night and feel it should have been free on Spike or Vs. But, the fighters did give it their all for the most part and I can't expect every UFC to be the best UFC ever.

I *****ed a little on the forum after the fight last night but, after watching the post-fight press conference, I'm back to anxiously waiting for the next event.

Thanks to Dana and the fighters and awesome UFC production crew!

Archived