Sign in to follow this  
rickyjonnylo

Rashad Evans vs Shogun Rua

Rashad has been rocked in both of his last fights.. both times when his opponent decided to rush in at the end of the fight.. its obvious Rashad doesnt do well when rushed.. especially late in the fight.. Shogun is a master when it comes to rushing in.. Muay Thai is based off of closing the distance with strikes to get in a clinch.. my muay thai coach puts you against a wall when you back pedal to much cause Muay Thai is about going in and staying in the pocket / clinch.. so basically where rashad is worse at i feel Shogun is best.. but lets say Rashad can handle this clinch and get easy takedowns (without getting caught with a knee on the way in) then hes gonna have to worry about Shoguns BJJ.. which is amazing.. watch his fight with Lil N0G.. they basically switched roles in that fight Shoguns grappling was amazing..

in a 25 minute bout.. if it isnt shogun getting back to his feet and KO'ing him or getting the better of the clinch.. then the knee on the way in is bound to happen in a 25 minute fight.. and Rashad has shown he slows down in a 3 rounder.. imagine a 5 rounder.. (he wrestles way to much.. doesnt matter how much cardio you got you cant explode into takedowns for 25 minutes.. and rashad has shown he can barely do 3)

just my take on the fight.. Shogun wins this

If Rashad gets easy takedowns then ied say Shogun will get the KO in the 3rd or 4th round..

Rashad by way of the most boring LnP title fight we have ever had the displeasure of suffering, Closely followed by Rashad losing the belt in even more devastating fashion then the first time to Lyoto thus sending us full-circle.

Thanks for nothing Greg Jackson.

If you have to ask who i want to win then you must blind.

shogun has proven to have the most difficulty with wrestlers and i believe rashad will have issues with shoguns muay thai i personally think its a bad match up for both and either could win. i would lean more towards rashad regaining his title through control of his emotions and also i believe he will be able to dictate the pace

I think it could go near enough the same as the rampage fight. If rashad is smart and uses his wrestling and speed then i think he could grind out a UD and get booed again, but when they are both stood up then shogun has the advantage and rashads always in danger of getting KO'd. I think rashad will get a UD but will probably come close to getting knocked out in his 3rd fight in a row

I dont think so.

I think Rashad will find it alot harder to stay at range since Shoguns main tools are kicks(greater reach and power) and knees(good for punishing takedown attempts).

Also Shogun is alot more technical and faster then Rampage so darting in for a shot then darting back out wont be as easy.

Rashads only hope is in LnP, Luckily he has Greg Jackson to teach me exactly how to do it without being stood back up.

Should be thrilling.............

Rashad does offer a new challenge to Shogun, but I don't think its that hard of a test. We've already seen how Shogun can handle quickness and elusiveness. He will be able to breakdown Rashad with heavy leg and body kicks.

Shogun's ground game is definetely underrated. Rashad would be able to get Shogun down but I doubt he'll be able to keep him there for long.

Over the course of a 5 round fight with Shogun's cardio and chin I can't see Rashad finishing Shgoun anywhere. On the other hand Shogun will catch Rashad with something. Whether it be with the hands, kicks, knees or a sub.

Last night I saw the fastest, most athletic, strongest, most aggressive Rashad I have ever seen in the Octagon.

The last time Shogun faced anything like that, in the UFC, was Forrest, and Rashad is easily much, much faster and stronger.

Shogun will absolutely have to knock him out before the second round is over. Otherwise, he will not be able to withstand that kind of pace for 5 rounds. He will end up being thrown around like a ragdoll and embarrassed out of his belt.

And I'm not even a Rashad fan.

shogun has proven to have the most difficulty with wrestlers and i believe rashad will have issues with shoguns muay thai i personally think its a bad match up for both and either could win. i would lean more towards rashad regaining his title through control of his emotions and also i believe he will be able to dictate the pace

How does Shogun have trouble with wrestlers?

I honestly hope Rashad gets KTFO in his fight against Shogun. All Rashad has been doing since his loss to Machida is take his opponent down, attempt lousy GnP, and then grind out a decision. His "game plan" made Rampage/Evans a snore fest.

Shogun is a quitter and once a quitter ALWAYS a quitter.

Evans by Tko or sub in the 4th or 5th' date=' when the chance for the KO is long gone.

THe quitter gene never lies.[/quote']

lol rashad by sub? haha i dont need to tell u your an idiot

Anyway i see this fight going to the ground fairly quickly, but i think alot of people will be surprised by shoguns bjj. Shogun by leg lock in the 1st

It could obviously go many ways so instead of saying how I think it will go down I'll just break down how I see the match up.

Rashad has good wrestling quicks with his footwork but as a striker, in striking posture, his foot work is awful. He has good head movement but his hands aren't stellar even though they are fast. The problem with him striking with Rua is that Rua is clearly a better striker than him and clearly takes punishment better and won't likely be hurt by Rashad, at all. Rashad, on the other hand, doesn't take punishment well and has been finding himself in sticky situations in all of his last three fights. If he's hurt, on his back against Rua, he will go to sleep. Rua just finishes fights so well.

If he wrestles Rua, he will be able to get the take downs, and I'm sure that will be his strategy, but against a lesser bjj guy in Thiago Silva, he wasn't able to land strikes with his top position and was easily stood back up. He landed only 8 ground strikes in that entire fight. Rua has such an under rated sweep game, as well. I really see Rua dominating him on the ground or killing him standing.

I like Rashad and he is a very good fighter but this just doesn't match up well.