Blame the UFC marketing department!

Shady_Champ

Oh yay I get to add to the many posts about the same Sh!t.

Alot of people are going back and forth about the LnP once again(Big surprise)

Don't get mad at new people because they get upset when they see a grappling conest rather then a slugfest. I'm sure over the last few months the UFC has gained quite a few fans or atleast gotten a ****load of PPV buys from people who saw the commercials and ads. And what ads show? Let's look at the commercial for UFC 114, it showed Rashad and Rampage talking about how they were going to knock each other out and showed clips of them knocking other people out. Don't get me wrong there were some nice grappling clips in there like the powerbomb that Rampage delivered but there were no clips of anyone being "grappled" the F out.

So stop complaining when people get pissed because they didn't get the product they were advertised to get. Like I said in a previous post, yes I was bored out of my mind with GSP's last fight but I understand that's how he fights and I expected it.(I even won money against a friend who doesn't watch MMA that much when I bet him GSP wouldn't finish the fight) with that being said I wasn't mad @ GSP because he wasn't saying he was gonna KO him there was no mention of a snuggie. However with Evan's it was completely different. He promised a KO and didn't really go for it.

Discuss, Flame, type fail or troll or even post your neat little pictures that say fail or troll. that's your right as a forum member.

There's a lot to this; so what you're saying is the way the fight was advertised wasn't the way it happened in real life, and that's why people get upset?

I don't get upset about it, as I know any fighter is in there for the win and to advance in the rankings. I also firmly believe that the onus is on each competitor to take the win taking the minimum amount of damage possible, or to nullify the other's gameplan, rather than provide a spectacle to my exact personal specification. I watch because I am entertained by watching, in short.

Rashad knew full well (and so should anyone who claims to know a thing about any combat sport) that unless Rampage's chin was out swinging in the wind and he was gassed, looking to trade would be a higher risk strategy. Similarly when he was pinned to the cage, Rampage couldn't risk committing to too much offence, as Rashad's takedowns were the risk factor. The fact is, it's mistakes that often let well matched opponents take the advantage in fights, you can't go out and impose your will every time, fighting your dream fight. A lot of fans know and understand this, but I think a significant proportion of the audience could be more casual/uninformed fans who are expecting a knockout every match.

Granted, the trails for the fight don't show this, but what's the alternative? The footage of both fighters dishing out absolute shellackings wasn't fabricated - they're both capable of it, but spectacular knockouts more likely than not result from mistakes, as previously stated. I don't think the UFC or any org should have to put a disclaimer on it to that effect. And as regards the interviews from before the fight, what do we honestly expect?

Rashad: 'I'm coming to this fight highly mindful that Rampage could smack the taste out of my mouth, and have no intention of letting him hit me even once if it could be avoided. Getting hit hurts'.

Rampage: 'I'm hoping that Rashad will at some point just stand static in front of me long enough for me to smack the taste out of his mouth. If he uses his skills I will probably concentrate on neutralising them, rather than fighting a different fight to the one I find myself in'.

Both fighters would have made good on their threats, had the other allowed them to do so. It was a pretty even matchup, neither fighter did anything much wrong; one fighter's tactics edged the other's in terms of scoring.

I agree. I along with many others knew damn well that Rashad was going to fight the way he fought last night. I don't blame him for doing so. If that was the case he should have said something to the effect of "I'm gonna go out there and beat him whatever way I see fit"

I think all the hype behind this fight not only by the UFC but by the fighters involved aswell adds to the frustration too. I'm just saying that "noobs" have a right to be pissed.

I agree. I along with many others knew damn well that Rashad was going to fight the way he fought last night. I don't blame him for doing so. If that was the case he should have said something to the effect of "I'm gonna go out there and beat him whatever way I see fit"

I think all the hype behind this fight not only by the UFC but by the fighters involved aswell adds to the frustration too. I'm just saying that "noobs" have a right to be pissed.

True, but they bought a package which overall gave value for money, I would say. If you only watched the main event expecting bells and whistles you would be a bit miffed I guess.

As Rashad said, 'this ain't boxing with 10 or 12oz gloves' and that's basically the problem with MMA. It's just very easy to get knocked out with those small gloves by anyone with any sort of power. Rashad isn't going to risk getting caught by one wild shot and then have to grind away for another 12 months to get back into contention. The other problem with main event fights recently is the same thing that's the problem in boxing. MONEY. Looking at the fighter salaries both evans and jackson were on 250k for the fight with the win bonus being 185k. Now, if you knew u had won the first 2 rounds are you saying you wouldn't just play it safe in the third so u wouldn't knocked out and win that 185k. Course u would and that's what happened. Personally I think the money should be increased for a finish rather than a fairly dull points victory but there you go. Expect plenty more of these lame main events with one of the fighters doing nothing but avoiding a punch and then going for takedowns. The prelims as usual were far better than the main event.

The prelims as usual were far better than the main event.

I agree. I've always said the free fights whether it be prelims or spike shows always seem to have more entertaining cards because it's full of guys trying to make it to the PPV main cards to make the extra cash.

I agree with a lot of what has been said here. Most of us understand the hype aspect of these things. After all this is a business, and they are trying to market their product. The thing that bugged me about this fight was not the wrestling alone. Gsp is my favorite fighter, and lesnar is in my top 5. I dont mind that aspect of mma what so ever. I enjoy it. and have often defended / explained it to others. My issue, and from what ive been seeing a lot of others as well, is that Rashad made no attempt to back up his talk.

Look i get that its smart, and i have no issue with implementing a strategy that utilizes your strengths / targets you opponents weaknesses. GSP does this in every one of his fights ( A training partner of mr Evans) and nobody should hate on somebody for doing that. The thing was that while most fighters dont just come out and say their strategy, however obvious it may be, Completely lying to the public about it is something completely different. I'm not saying i bought into what he was saying, but I have lost all respect for him after it. Granted I didnt give him much to begin with, but he seemed like a very good coach. It looked like he cared for his fighters, and really tried to help them.

Rashad had much to gain from doing what he did, and he only lost the respect of a large portion of mma fans. Rampage seems like he is in the UFC because he loves fighting. It is looking more and more to me like Rashad is in it for the money / fame. Rampage may be in a movie, but honestly how many of us would pass that one up?

Going into his next fight i really doubt he is going to talk about how easy it will be to KO Shogun. He will try to use his wrestling again, and I wont have one problem with him doing it. I just dont get how you can say all that stuff knowing full well, while your saying it, that your not going to even attempt to do any of it. Dont get me wrong, if rampage had tried to turn this into a wrestling match ( lol ) I'd be just as irritated with him as well. Rashad really just needs to stop acting like the bad **** Ko artist that he no longer is. At least he gave us all warning at the presser that he wont be traded with people anymore.

does no one know how to summarize?

like say it in like a small organized four sentence paragraph?

instead of the whole novel stories you guys got goin on

I'm sorry, I thought this was a place to have a discussion. Maybe I should only post half of what I'm thinking. I guess I like to actually explain my reasoning behind things, and not just make point blank statements that many people on here tend to misunderstand. If you dont like it then dont read the post. Or i guess you could just make a pointless post complaining about how many evil wrds is on ur sreen.

Archived