True Champion (former and remaining)

mike_4

There are many former champs, and present champs, who do you think is or was a true champion in their weight class? I think any fighter who can defend their title 3 or more times is a true champion.

Lightweight: BJ Penn, defended his title 3 times and will get the belt back.

Welterweight: GSP, was a former champ, and now the remaining champ who defended his title several of times. Matt Hughes, held the title for a good amount of time.

Middleweight: Anderson Silva, in my opinion is the only true champion to EVER hold the title in middleweight and ALWAYS will be, seeing that he defended his title 8 times and fought twice out of his weight class.

Light Heavyweight(this belt just gets thrown around like nothing): Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell, and Tito Ortiz(go ahead and laugh, but in my opinion he was since he defended the belt 5 times).

Heavyweight: Randy Couture

There are many former champs' date=' and present champs, who do you think is or was a true champion in their weight class? I think any fighter who can defend their title 3 or more times is a true champion.

Welterweight: GSP, was a former champ, and now the remaining champ who defended his title several of times. Matt Hughes, held the title for a good amount of time.

Middleweight: Anderson Silva, in my opinion is the only true champion to EVER hold the title in middleweight and ALWAYS will be, seeing that he defended his title 8 times and fought twice out of his weight class.

Light Heavyweight(this belt just gets thrown around like nothing): Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell, and Tito Ortiz(go ahead and laugh, but in my opinion he was since he defended the belt 5 times).

Heavyweight: Randy Couture[/quote']

You missed out Coleman from your list of greats, or wasn't you watching it then?

Although a fan of BJ, i cant say he's a great champion because he doesn't care enough when he got the belt. Could say Anderson Silva but i hate giving that guy credit after the Maia fight. GSP is a proud champion and always gets the job done. hard to say though. if i chose on previous Champ now i would prob change my mind soon after. This is one reason why MMA is great.

There are many former champs' date=' and present champs, who do you think is or was a true champion in their weight class? I think any fighter who can defend their title 3 or more times is a true champion.[/b']

Heavyweight: Randy Couture

I disagree and so does chael sonnen.

Sonnen said ''matt hughes claimed to be the champ you have to defend your title once, well i think thats bullsh1t, If you train your whole life and you give your all in the title fight and you beat the champion and you leave the octagon with 12 pounds of gold around your waist then you are the true champion and nothing can take that away from you''

There are many former champs' date=' and present champs, who do you think is or was a true champion in their weight class? I think any fighter who can defend their title 3 or more times is a true champion.

NO LOVE FOR HUGHES I SEE.. -_- .. he only did something noone else had did at the time.

randy had to lose it 3 times inorder to win it 3 times.. i dont really see that as a true champ.

tito was the father of g-n-p and though he's hated alot these days the guy was a beast at 205 when he was the champ.

Sonnen said ''matt hughes claimed to be the champ you have to defend your title once' date=' well i think thats bullsh1t, If you train your whole life and you give your all in the title fight and you beat the champion and you leave the octagon with 12 pounds of gold around your waist then you are the true champion and nothing can take that away from you''[/quote']

LOL, of course Chael would say something like that, spoken like a true polotician. I agree with Hughes!!!

NO LOVE FOR HUGHES I SEE.. -_- .. he only did something noone else had did at the time.

randy had to lose it 3 times inorder to win it 3 times.. i dont really see that as a true champ.

tito was the father of g-n-p and though he's hated alot these days the guy was a beast at 205 when he was the champ.

Keep reading, Hughes got a mention!!

Can't believe you would leave out Frank Shamrock as well as Coleman. When the UFC 1st created a middleweight belt Shamrock won it and defended it 4 times after winning the belt. this is when the UFC was tougher than it is today. He beat the UFC 14 champ Kevin Jackson in 14 seconds for the belt. then defended it against Igor Zinoviev, Jeremy Horn, John Lober, Tito Ortiz. the retired as the champ because he doesn't like Dana White. so he's an unbeaten UFC champ.

Sonnen said ''matt hughes claimed to be the champ you have to defend your title once' date=' well i think thats bullsh1t, If you train your whole life and you give your all in the title fight and you beat the champion and you leave the octagon with 12 pounds of gold around your waist then you are the true champion and nothing can take that away from you''[/quote']

He only said that because he knows he wont hold the title long even if hes does get it (which prolly wont happen anyways)

Archived