Is national service a good idea?

aethlefirth

In my opinion yes!

there are far too many bored teens hanging round on street corners with no respect for anything!

in the UK National Service, or Peacetime Conscription, was a compulsory two year spell in the services for men aged between 18 and 24 years and after the Second World War took place between the years 1949 and 1960. Early conscriptions only served 18 months though were in the reserves for four years until the Korean War saw this extended to 24 months National Service and only a six month service in the reserves.

For many these were considered their lost years of their youth, for others it was a time of opportunity, adventure and fun combined with square bashing, spit and polish, boots, blanco, brasso and bully and about all friendship. Foreign travel in the 1950s and 1960s was expensive and difficult and national service did give some the opportunity of serving abroad in countries like Cyprus and Germany, though not always in a peaceful role. Many national servicemen saw active service in war zones like Malaya, Eriteria, Kenya, Somaliland and Korea whilst others worked towards a trade to stand themselves in good stead in civvie street. Sadly many were killed whilst on active service or training and other were injured and disabled.

i just dont see the problem with these young people giving something to a society they are going to take so much from!

what are you thoughts?

i don't believe in making people fight for a cause they may not believe in.

its not really about fighting but if they just went in and did some service! Maybe not send them to fight but guard a base is that not ok?who wouldnt believe in keeping people safe?

its not really about fighting but if they just went in and did some service! Maybe not send them to fight but guard a base is that not ok?who wouldnt believe in keeping people safe?

The problem with that is you'll have a majority who will only enroll to fulfill their obligation and not want to fight a war. When a real war breaks out, where is the man power?

Abso-F'ing-Lutely!

With the risk like sounding my age, I think that the youngsters of today (at least on the western countries) have way too much free time, and way too much "crap" to do. Starting with stupid things like playing video games instead of keeping their neighborhood clean all the way to being in gangs (and not our fictitious ones here) and causing so much damage.

It doesn't have to be the army mind you, there are elderly people to help, hospitals to volunteer in, kids to tutor, roads to be kept safe and soooo much more.

I'm proud to say, that on top of the compulsory army service I did back in Israel, I volunteered as a youth leader for a year before. It was a very important time and I still think about the little I was able to do for some kids as one of the most rewarding experiences in my life.

Everyone should do something to better their community, city, country, whatever.

my 2 cents.

i'm all for this as i'm proof that a spell in service does work, i will admit that when i was a teenager i was a bit of a nightmare, i was never into anything too bad but me and my friends at the time were slowly getting worse, at 16 i joined the army and have never looked back, i noticed the change in me and i'm proud of myself, i had little chance of making anything of myself and serving 7 years changed that, whilst a lot of my old friends have never worked a day in their life and others have been to prison and i'm sure i'd have ended up like them, going in the army took me away from them and helped me change, i went from being expected to not acheive anything in life to where i am now with a nice house and a job as a teacher. maybe it could work for others

Here is a suggestion. Trouble youths that have more than 2 incidents on their record will have to serve a minimum of two years in the service. These are minor incidents such as theft and non-violent felony accounts. All other serious offenders will not be allowed and are not obligated.

But then again, I see problems with this also.

i'm all for this as i'm proof that a spell in service does work' date=' i will admit that when i was a teenager i was a bit of a nightmare, i was never into anything too bad but me and my friends at the time were slowly getting worse, at 16 i joined the army and have never looked back, i noticed the change in me and i'm proud of myself, i had little chance of making anything of myself and serving 7 years changed that, whilst a lot of my old friends have never worked a day in their life and others have been to prison and i'm sure i'd have ended up like them, going in the army took me away from them and helped me change, i went from being expected to not acheive anything in life to where i am now with a nice house and a job as a teacher. maybe it could work for others[/quote']

Haleluiah

In my opinion yes!

there are far too many bored teens hanging round on street corners with no respect for anything!

in the UK National Service' date=' or Peacetime Conscription, was a compulsory two year spell in the services for men aged between 18 and 24 years and after the Second World War took place between the years 1949 and 1960. Early conscriptions only served 18 months though were in the reserves for four years until the Korean War saw this extended to 24 months National Service and only a six month service in the reserves.

For many these were considered their lost years of their youth, for others it was a time of opportunity, adventure and fun combined with square bashing, spit and polish, boots, blanco, brasso and bully and about all friendship. Foreign travel in the 1950s and 1960s was expensive and difficult and national service did give some the opportunity of serving abroad in countries like Cyprus and Germany, though not always in a peaceful role. Many national servicemen saw active service in war zones like Malaya, Eriteria, Kenya, Somaliland and Korea whilst others worked towards a trade to stand themselves in good stead in civvie street. Sadly many were killed whilst on active service or training and other were injured and disabled.

i just dont see the problem with these young people giving something to a society they are going to take so much from!

what are you thoughts?[/quote']

My god no.... If they tried to make me serve, well lets just say I would not go peacefully or I would flee the country. I just got out of school, oh a year and half ago. I am not about to go back to something just like that. I do not bode well with people telling me what to do and acting as if I should give them respect when they give me none back. That's the way it is at school and that's the way it would probably be there.

So noway, people have the right to pursue their dreams, this will just stall them from doing so.

I'd like to see it, but for a much shorter duration. Six months? Maybe.

I agree that extended service would rob people of their youth. I also believe a boot camp environment to be extremely beneficial. Let's not forget that we have a lot of litter to deal with.

If you were to check out my "So What'll It Be" thread (shameless self-promotion,) you'd see that although I'm not one to spend years and years in the military, I believe that the initial basic training is an experience worth having. In the thread I also contend that the people of Korea are so attractive and well kept because of the compulsory military service.

Six months of mandatory uniformed, non-military service for our youth would be great for this country.

My god no.... If they tried to make me serve' date=' well lets just say I would not go peacefully or I would flee the country. I just got out of school, oh a year and half ago. I am not about to go back to something just like that. I do not bode well with people telling me what to do and acting as if I should give them respect when they give me none back. That's the way it is at school and that's the way it would probably be there.

So noway, people have the right to pursue their dreams, this will just stall them from doing so.[/quote']

What the hell school did u go to?

I wouldn't serve these crooked bastards in government in the world today for any reason. Join a militia if you want to do something good for yourselves.

militia? lol how much money do you get if you sign? do they send you to college? militia groups are usual rednecks that stock pile guns thinking everyones against them.

What the hell school did u go to?

MVHS, Mount Vernon High School. Just a regular school but the teachers and principals were pieces of s***. Many people who go there would also agree with me that, that place sucks.

They tried taking my cellphone away at lunch, of course they did not get it, I'm no pushover little kid like the rest of them. I consider anything that they try to take away from me as stealing, which it is stealing. Not to mention I had some things on my phone, that could incriminate some of my friends and myself, so noway were they going to get it and they didn't. So I sneaked out of the office and hid for the rest of the day, I am too sneaky to be caught lol.

Not to mention your Freedom of Speech is taken away at school as well.

MVHS' date=' Mount Vernon High School. Just a regular school but the teachers and principals were pieces of s***. Many people who go there would also agree with me that, that place sucks.

They tried taking my cellphone away at lunch, of course they did not get it, I'm no pushover little kid like the rest of them. I consider anything that they try to take away from me as stealing, which it is stealing. Not to mention I had some things on my phone, that could incriminate some of my friends and myself, so noway were they going to get it and they didn't. So I sneaked out of the office and hid for the rest of the day, I am too sneaky to be caught lol.

Not to mention your Freedom of Speech is taken away at school as well.[/quote']

Damn sounds like hell bro. My high school days were amazing lol

MVHS' date=' Mount Vernon High School. Just a regular school but the teachers and principals were pieces of s***. Many people who go there would also agree with me that, that place sucks.

Not to mention your Freedom of Speech is taken away at school as well.[/quote']

Fail.

hold onto your freedom of speech, pal. don't take that crap. Myself and a crew of about 10 made up "cheerleading is not a sport" T-shirts and wore them to school and the principal tried to make us change and I refused. I was suspended but I made my point. Don't let these jerks tell you what you can think.

In my opinion yes!

in the UK National Service' date=' or Peacetime Conscription, was a compulsory two year spell in the services for men aged between 18 and 24 years and after the Second World War took place between the years 1949 and 1960. Early conscriptions only served 18 months though were in the reserves for four years until the Korean War saw this extended to 24 months National Service and only a six month service in the reserves.

what are you thoughts?[/quote']

i agree i wouldn't mind doing two years, i know its not as hard but did 3 years in army cadets and learnt a lot of usful stuff and enjoyed it. I have also just finished school and the amount of undisciplined people that i see on the street and in school is ridiculous. I think it would be great to teach them some discipline and give them a job where they are earning money and not living off benefits. Its just getting stupid with the amount of people hanging around the streets thinking they are top dogs because they have a gang or carry a knife or lip off to their teachers.. love to see them get put in their place when they mouth off to someone with rank...

hold onto your freedom of speech' date=' pal. don't take that crap. Myself and a crew of about 10 made up "cheerleading is not a sport" T-shirts and wore them to school and the principal tried to make us change and I refused. I was suspended but I made my point. Don't let these jerks tell you what you can think.[/quote']

Ya, me and my friends, put up these posters around school, saying to unexpell my friend, who got expelled. They all got taken down and I think some of my friends got in trouble. The basturds!!!

Ringo Starr on television recently remarked that he has always believed that the Beatles and the entire 1960s youth revolution was due to the fact that his was the first generation that didn;t face national service. He himself missed it by a matter of months.He figures that the time that would have been spent in the national service learning hpw to polish shoes was spent instead on things like music and art.

Lol ok' date=' coming from the guy who got caught with his cell out and then tries to be a Billy Badass about it.[/quote']

A badass about it? How am I trying to be an badass about it? I could careless what people think of me moron.

My problem is that some many kids are pushovers when it comes to school. If a teacher tells them to do something, then they do it. I see it as that they have no right to tell me what to do.

just keep putting them up' date=' but don't get caught.[/quote']

Im out of school now, cant. I quit my junior year, would have quit earlier but you cant quit until your 18 but I used a loophole to get out right before my 17th birthday. I went and got my GED, which I passed easily, did not even study for it. I have always hated school with a passion that's why I quit. I just hate being stuck in drab building where you cant even go to the bathroom without asking for permission.

High school is not needed really, if you go to college, no one will ever bother to look and see if you went to HS.

A badass about it? How am I trying to be an badass about it? I could careless what people think of me moron.

My problem is that some many kids are pushovers when it comes to school. If a teacher tells them to do something' date=' then they do it. I see it as that they have no right to tell me what to do.[/quote']

Sounds like you think teachers have no right to tell you what to do, even when your doing something wrong. I'm glad you quit school, at least now tax paying Americans won't have to waste their money on you for awhile, that is until you go on welfare.

Honestly I don't see how national service will help gang members/people from poor communities. They will go learn military skills come back and just get better at killing people. If you think being in the military for 18-24 months will make you want to get a job then you are just wrong.

Honestly I don't see how national service will help gang members/people from poor communities. They will go learn military skills come back and just get better at killing people. If you think being in the military for 18-24 months will make you want to get a job then you are just wrong.

national service would leave these people with a sense of pride and discipline, people who are from poor family's would earn money, military wages are quite good, not loads of money but you have somewhere to live and 3 meals a day, your wage is yours to do what you want with, also it wouldn't make them any better at killing each other as the tactical side of the army is not much good for gangs to use, while they are doing national service they will be given an opportunity to learn a trade which will give them more chance to make something of themselves when they leave, this won't work for everyone, but it will for the majority.

having national service will ease the pressure on those who are already in the military and help slow the turn over of people serving their country, i know the british army has no problems with recruitment but a big problem getting them to stay in service due to the amount of operational tours they need to do and guard duties and such like when they come back, people on national service could do the guard duties and some other stuff easing the work load and helping retention!!

Sounds like you think teachers have no right to tell you what to do' date=' even when your doing something wrong. I'm glad you quit school, at least now tax paying Americans won't have to waste their money on you for awhile, that is until you go on welfare.[/quote']

How is that wrong? Cause its a rule? Your a tool, i decide for myself whether a rule is right or not, I suggest that everyone does the same, don't let unjust rules control you. Tax payers did not pay for me to go to school, my books were payed by my parents and everything. I think you should be more worried about all these illegal aliens coming over here and having free medical operations done because they are pregnant or some s***. All these illegal aliens stealing our SS numbers. People on welfare who should not be.

Welfare is reserved for the lazy and handicapped, I'm neither. I have worked 11 hours a day, walking the whole time, helping the state clean up after irresponsible adults and kids, probably like yourself. I doubt you could work 21.5 hours in two days on three hours of sleep for each day. Even with friends that job is boring and long, good thing I don't do that anymore.

How is that wrong? Cause its a rule? Your a tool' date=' i decide for myself whether a rule is right or not, I suggest that everyone does the same, don't let unjust rules control you. Tax payers did not pay for me to go to school, my books were payed by my parents and everything. I think you should be more worried about all these illegal aliens coming over here and having free medical operations done because they are pregnant or some s***. All these illegal aliens stealing our SS numbers. People on welfare who should not be.

Welfare is reserved for the lazy and handicapped, I'm neither. I have worked 11 hours a day, walking the whole time, helping the state clean up after irresponsible adults and kids, probably like yourself. I doubt you could work 21.5 hours in two days on three hours of sleep for each day. Even with friends that job is boring and long, good thing I don't do that anymore.[/quote']

Lol tax payers didn't pay? Where do you think your teachers check came from? And the key here is the difference between an unjust rule and a just rule. Your interpretation of it being unjust does not necessarily make it unjust. "Clean up"? Sounds like your either a janitor or you pick up garbage for a living, so whos the tool?

Lol tax payers didn't pay? Where do you think your teachers check came from? And the key here is the difference between an unjust rule and a just rule. Your interpretation of it being unjust does not necessarily make it unjust. "Clean up"? Sounds like your either a janitor or you pick up garbage for a living' date=' so whos the tool?[/quote']

Exactly tax payers payed for my teachers not me and I never signed up for school did i, its required. I don't pick up garbage for a living I did it for one weekend for quick cash $200 bucks for two days work, free hotel room, and being able to party and work with friends is awesome.

If you consider people who pick up trash tools you are seriously an idiot. The side of the interstate would look like a landfill if not for these hard workers, who work for 11 hours a day cleaning up trash 5 days a week. They have their own trash truck because there is so much trash, that's how much there is. If it was not for people like this, you would not be able to live like you do.

Exactly tax payers payed for my teachers not me and I never signed up for school did i' date=' its required. I don't pick up garbage for a living I did it for one weekend for quick cash $200 bucks for two days work, free hotel room, and being able to party and work with friends is awesome.

If you consider people who pick up trash tools you are seriously an idiot. The side of the interstate would look like a landfill if not for these hard workers, who work for 11 hours a day cleaning up trash 5 days a week. They have their own trash truck because there is so much trash, that's how much there is. If it was not for people like this, you would not be able to live like you do.[/quote']

Trashmen makes some good money. And they work for the state (I think). It's actually hard to get the job from what I hear.

Trashmen makes some good money. And they work for the state (I think). It's actually hard to get the job from what I hear.

We made 9 an hour (without taxes as well). We got the job from my friends dad who basically contracts for the state, he hired 10 of us. We picked up the trash so the weed whackers and tractors could come through and cut the grass. So we were not really trashmen but trash picker uppers lol.

It was actually some what fun since I worked with 10 of my friends. You would be surprised by what you can find on the side of the interstate. We found a machete, around $36 bucks, bag of weed (two mexicans found it, it was funny), a pipe, a grinder for weed, and other things I cant remember. Unfortunately I did not find a damn thing.

Archived