This generation is pissing me off.

VanDeux

I have no other outlet other than this so I'll let it out here. At the risk of sounding like some crusty old man (my dad), I have to say that this generation is pissing me off a little bit tonight. *What follows is not earth shattering or anything, but it is an indicator of other greater implications. I just came over from ESPN's website (generally good covering sports other than MMA) to see what else they had to say about Ken Griffey Jr. retiring, as I had caught a snippet on yet another website. They did have it as a headline so I read a little bio, some numbers, and some comments from other players.

I exited out of that story and scrolled down the page to scan some other headlines and came to this evenings poll section which read as follows- Which was the bigger Wednesday night story? A.) Blown call costs Armando Galarraga a perfect game. or B.) Ken Griffey Jr. retires. And the answer: (according to over 30,000 dum@$$eS) A. I'm sorry....WHAT??? A? This is probably a typo, let me refresh the page......A. W T F? I don't even know where to start. First of all, all respect to Galarraga for a HELL of a game. Great job dude. You really got screwed by the ump. Bummer. Better luck next time. I really mean it.

But, how on God's green earth can you say that is bigger news than one of the greatest baseball players of the last 20 years retiring quietly (too quietly) on a Wednesday night (weird) before a game? I am not a raving KGJr. fan, but I have a great appreciation for what he has done in 22 seasons as a major league baller. Who the freak is Armando Galarraga (2-1)? Some dude you have never heard of before tonight, and will not hear of again.....ever. And his one-hitter is bigger news than Griffey calling it quits? ESPN should be ashamed of even asking the question in the first place. For this I blame the generation currently driving the sports media machine and their obsession with the right now. Giving little regard to rich history and tradition, and thinking that the only thing that matters is what, or who, is happening right now is inexcusable. I am only 34, but I think that out of respect for the game- any game- to say that some funky call during a midweek baseball game is bigger news than the retirement of an absolute legend is total BS. Total.

I could go on, but i sukk at typing, and I want to get this posted. I love sports. Football, wrestling, MMA, lacrosse, baseball, tennis...whatever. Sport is awesome. Sport is winning and losing, and legends, and comraderie, and competition, and respect, and emotion, and passion. I just think that when a gladiator like Griffey lays down his sword, it is far more impactful to the game than some jinky call by some domschnitt ump. please discuss. thanks guys (and gals)

Griffey is my favorite player of all time. He should have retired after last season but whatever. He missed the equivalent of 4 seasons in his prime and still ended his career with 630 home runs as the only clean player in his generation. He is worthy of more press than he's getting, here. I am with you on hating this generation of idiots that can't recognize it.

my point is not necessarily about Griffey. I'll try to equate it to MMA. Let's say on Saturday night Dan Severn and Don Frye are driving to knitting lessons together and are killed in a horrible car wreck. On the same night in some undercard fight some ****** gets DQ'ed for poking some other ****** in the eye. I poll which was bigger news, and 30k morons say the two weenies. Follow? Lots of kids following MMA today might say "Who the hell is Don Frye? I vote for ****** eye-poking."

Griffey is my favorite player of all time. He should have retired after last season but whatever. He missed the equivalent of 4 seasons in his prime and still ended his career with 630 home runs as the only clean player in his generation. He is worthy of more press than he's getting' date=' here. I am with you on hating this generation of idiots that can't recognize it.[/quote']

David- I was answering the dude above you. I hear you. Griffey was the man -even though I am a Yankee fan (born and bred in Jersey). I also think Griffey played the game like a man, and was never linked to illegal substances. Cheaters sukk.

Every generation following the previous is almost always going to turn out worst than the previous. Kids these days are so much more disrespectful than my generation.

Yes, I know....this has nothing to do with the OP's topic, but I have no where to vent this, so I'll put it here.

my point is not necessarily about Griffey. I'll try to equate it to MMA. Let's say on Saturday night Dan Severn and Don Frye are driving to knitting lessons together and are killed in a horrible car wreck. On the same night in some undercard fight some ****** gets DQ'ed for poking some other ****** in the eye. I poll which was bigger news' date=' and 30k morons say the two weenies. Follow? Lots of kids following MMA today might say "Who the hell is Don Frye? I vote for ****** eye-poking."[/quote']

How did ****** get through once, but not the other times?

I could go on' date=' but i sukk at typing, and I want to get this posted. I love sports. Football, wrestling, MMA, lacrosse, baseball, tennis...whatever. Sport is awesome. Sport is winning and losing, and legends, and comraderie, and competition, and respect, and emotion, and passion. [b']I just think that when a gladiator like Griffey lays down his sword, it is far more impactful to the game than some jinky call by some domschnitt ump.[/b] please discuss. thanks guys (and gals)

I understand what you mean...

I don't know who he is but I think the same about this part.

OP, just wondering....you got that opinion from just 1 show? I grew up watching Griffey Jr. I didn't know he retired because this Galarraga stuff is all over the news. But don't sweat it, that ump call will be old news and you will see Griffey get his due.

It's not what the news people think, it's what Ken Griffey would want you to recognize. And you did.

So i did a quick search of the first page of threads and didnt see a Griffey thread, so I made one. I then came in here to read about all the idiot kids running around these days to see that this thread is in fact a Griffey thread in disguise!!@!

I've grown pretty tired of ESPN over the last 5 or so years. A couple years ago they did the "Who's Now?" popularity contest. I almost shot myself when they showed that tens upon tens of thousands of people were voting on who's more popular between Tom Brady or Tiger Woods. Great sports reporting, idiots.

i blame hip hop.

yes its funny' date=' and i meant it to be, but its also true, its straight up making younger kids act like complete idiots. idolize gangsters, and pretend they are gangsters which pisses me off the most.[/quote']

I don't blame hip hop. I blame the steroid users. If not for McGwire, Sosa and Bonds making a mockery of the sport and ruining the record books Griffey would be getting his rightful dap as the greatest of his generation. Hip Hop is not innocent in anything but the numbers mean less and so monumental careers like Griffey's are overlooked because of it.

Every generation following the previous is almost always going to turn out worst than the previous. Kids these days are so much more disrespectful than my generation.

Yes' date=' I know....this has nothing to do with the OP's topic, but I have no where to vent this, so I'll put it here.[/quote']

Never really agree with you, but agree with you wholeheartedly here. It's amazing how entitled and f**king pathetic these college kids and =< are.

Never really agree with you' date=' but agree with you wholeheartedly here. It's amazing how entitled and f**king pathetic these college kids and =< are.[/quote']

ya, but they will all have nothing. the worst generation is the boomers. they got everything handed to them and have given nothing back. They are the first generation since the industrial revolution to not leave the world better for the next generation. they are selfish a-holes.

I have no other outlet other than this so I'll let it out here. At the risk of sounding like some crusty old man (my dad)' date=' I have to say that this generation is pissing me off a little bit tonight. *What follows is not earth shattering or anything, but it is an indicator of other greater implications. I just came over from ESPN's website (generally good covering sports other than MMA) to see what else they had to say about Ken Griffey Jr. retiring, as I had caught a snippet on yet another website. They did have it as a headline so I read a little bio, some numbers, and some comments from other players.

I exited out of that story and scrolled down the page to scan some other headlines and came to this evenings poll section which read as follows- Which was the bigger Wednesday night story? A.) Blown call costs Armando Galarraga a perfect game. or B.) Ken Griffey Jr. retires. And the answer: (according to over 30,000 dum@$$eS) A. I'm sorry....WHAT??? A? This is probably a typo, let me refresh the page......A. W T F? I don't even know where to start. First of all, all respect to Galarraga for a HELL of a game. Great job dude. You really got screwed by the ump. Bummer. Better luck next time. I really mean it.

But, how on God's green earth can you say [i']that[/i] is bigger news than one of the greatest baseball players of the last 20 years retiring quietly (too quietly) on a Wednesday night (weird) before a game? I am not a raving KGJr. fan, but I have a great appreciation for what he has done in 22 seasons as a major league baller. Who the freak is Armando Galarraga (2-1)? Some dude you have never heard of before tonight, and will not hear of again.....ever. And his one-hitter is bigger news than Griffey calling it quits? ESPN should be ashamed of even asking the question in the first place. For this I blame the generation currently driving the sports media machine and their obsession with the right now. Giving little regard to rich history and tradition, and thinking that the only thing that matters is what, or who, is happening right now is inexcusable. I am only 34, but I think that out of respect for the game- any game- to say that some funky call during a midweek baseball game is bigger news than the retirement of an absolute legend is total BS. Total.

I could go on, but i sukk at typing, and I want to get this posted. I love sports. Football, wrestling, MMA, lacrosse, baseball, tennis...whatever. Sport is awesome. Sport is winning and losing, and legends, and comraderie, and competition, and respect, and emotion, and passion. I just think that when a gladiator like Griffey lays down his sword, it is far more impactful to the game than some jinky call by some domschnitt ump. please discuss. thanks guys (and gals)

I assume your talking about my generation, im 18, I hate most of my generation, cant stand them. I have always thought of the older players as more talented than the future players. Like Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, etc. they helped pave the way in their respective sports, for future generations of players.

I don't really watch baseball at all, use to play it when I was young but never really got into it. But I understand where your coming from Griffey retiring, should get more attention, than some BS call.

i blame hip hop.

yes its funny' date=' and i meant it to be, but its also true, its straight up making younger kids act like complete idiots. idolize gangsters, and pretend they are gangsters which pisses me off the most.[/quote']

I hate hip hop and rap with a passion. I love classical rock though, my favorite is 70's rock. A lot of my friends feel the same way, we hate bullsh** rap and hip hop and we wish we could have lived in the 70's. I would love to see Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Hendrix, Robin Trower, and Van Halen live. I cant stand modern day rock I hate it, rock went down the ****t** in the 90's.

Music use to take a lot talent to make, now they just get on a beat board and make up some stupid repeating beat. Music also use to have meaning to it.

Now, all anyone makes music about is fuc**** some girl, shooting someone, or talking **** to another rapper.

ya' date=' but they will all have nothing. the worst generation is the boomers. they got everything handed to them and have given nothing back. They are the first generation since the industrial revolution to not leave the world better for the next generation. they are selfish a-holes.[/quote']

Hold on there Ghost Rider, I am a baby boomer. We have the toughest of all generations to deal with. Social Security rests on our shoulders. The future of our nation rests on our shoulders right now.

Please don't talk about something you don't know. Quite Frankly, it is the two generations ahead of us that are still running the nation.

I have no other outlet other than this so I'll let it out here. At the risk of sounding like some crusty old man (my dad)' date=' I have to say that this generation is pissing me off a little bit tonight. *What follows is not earth shattering or anything, but it is an indicator of other greater implications. I just came over from ESPN's website (generally good covering sports other than MMA) to see what else they had to say about Ken Griffey Jr. retiring, as I had caught a snippet on yet another website. They did have it as a headline so I read a little bio, some numbers, and some comments from other players.

But, how on God's green earth can you say [i']that[/i] is bigger news than one of the greatest baseball players of the last 20 years retiring quietly (too quietly) on a Wednesday night (weird) before a game? I am not a raving KGJr. fan, but I have a great appreciation for what he has done in 22 seasons as a major league baller. Who the freak is Armando Galarraga (2-1)? Some dude you have never heard of before tonight, and will not hear of again.....ever. And his one-hitter is bigger news than Griffey calling it quits? ESPN should be ashamed of even asking the question in the first place. For this I blame the generation currently driving the sports media machine and their obsession with the right now. Giving little regard to rich history and tradition, and thinking that the only thing that matters is what, or who, is happening right now is inexcusable. I am only 34, but I think that out of respect for the game- any game- to say that some funky call during a midweek baseball game is bigger news than the retirement of an absolute legend is total BS. Total.

Good post man. It is a travesty like you said. That blown call at first was a joke, but when people vote it more important than a LEGEND of baseball retiring.....it's a sad sad day.

Griffey will be missed. Best swing I've ever seen.

All i have been seeing is this ******** on my ESPN mobile and on the ESPN homepage on my computer. The ump already said he made a mistake and he apologized personally to the player (something umps RARELY do). Bud Selig is going to reverse this call and the guy will get his perfect game. Why is this even relevant when, arguably, one of the top 5 baseball players ever just retired?

I'm not really too into baseball, but I have always liked Griffey because he is living proof that you don't need juice to hit tons of home runs and be a great player.

Look at the home run list (I don't include Barry Bonds because a lot of his home runs should be rescinded):

1. Hank Aaron

2. Babe Ruth

3. Willie Mays

4. Ken Griffey Jr.

Right behind the all time greatest players lies Ken Griffey Jr. First ballot hall of famer, 630 home runs in the steroid era without using steroids, 13 all star appearances. His image shaped the Mariners in the 90's and only bettered the image of the MLB. If it weren't for Griffey, this era would have nothing to marvel about regarding the MLB. Without Griffey, all we would remember was the steroids.

Perfect games are happening more commonly now. One of the top 5 greatest players of all time retiring is not common.

Can't wait for this stupid decision to get over turned so we can focus on Griffey's legendary career, even though we shouldn't be putting the ump's missed call before Griffey in the first place.

Great post man, I totally agree with you

Hold on there Ghost Rider' date=' I am a baby boomer. We have the toughest of all generations to deal with. Social Security rests on our shoulders. The future of our nation rests on our shoulders right now.

Please don't talk about something you don't know. Quite Frankly, it is the two generations ahead of us that are still running the nation.[/quote']

You guys are the last generation that will even get social security. You are proving my point in your answer. The future of all nations doesn't rest on your shoulders anymore. It did, and your generation failed at everything and has left a debt that three, four, five generations won't be able to pay off. I don't believe in our monetary system and don't think it will ever actually be paid anyways but your generation let that happen.

You guys are the last generation that will even get social security. You are proving my point in your answer. The future of all nations doesn't rest on your shoulders anymore. It did' date=' and your generation failed at everything and has left a debt that three, four, five generations won't be able to pay off. I don't believe in our monetary system and don't think it will ever actually be paid anyways but your generation let that happen.[/quote']

I think you are mistaking my generation for the two generations prior to us. Baby boomers are around my age-35-40 years old. We are not the ones racking up the bills. We are now responsible for the national debt and the welfare of social security which was handed down to us from prior generations. When it is your turn, you will have a more difficult time dealing with these issues. You cannot blame one generation for the economic turmoil we are facing today.

Shall I blame the preceeding generations?

well Griffey is one of the best players ever and a big ceremony would feel anti-climatic at this point. he had his curtain call at the end of last year.

perfect games are a rare feat..something like 21 or 22 in history. there have been two already in this short season, which is unheard of. this would have been the first time ever we've seen 3 in one season. a blown call of this proportion not only changed the history of the game, but probably will be the catalyst for instituting more instant replay in baseball.

the situations been handled with class by the pitcher Galaraga and the ump Jim Joyce..he admitted his blown call.

Griffeys surely and all-timer, but his retirements been a long time coming. one of the most exciting players ever

To tell the truth the ump blowing a guys perfect game is probably the bigger story. Why? Because Griffey is the past and this blown call could well result in the implementation of a lot more instant replay use in baseball so it affects the future. Actually, saying Griffey is the bigger story is kind of short sighted and I think a lot of baseball fans and I know a lot of writers think this bad call incident could change the way baseball is played.

You guys are the last generation that will even get social security. You are proving my point in your answer. The future of all nations doesn't rest on your shoulders anymore. It did' date=' and your generation failed at everything and has left a debt that three, four, five generations won't be able to pay off. I don't believe in our monetary system and don't think it will ever actually be paid anyways but your generation let that happen.[/quote']

Like yours wouldn't have hahahahahahaha

GTFO here you grumpy old man. Who is Griffey anyways? Probably some scrub baseball player.

Not to mention Griffey missed about 4 seasons IN HIS PRIME due to injuries. He would have shattered the homerun record.

FroZeN, are you feeling OK?

Archived