Can Someone Explain to Me

ShanePatrick

Boxing vs mma is interesting.

Way to make the match sound like the gimmicky cash-grab it is. It is interesting only to half-wits - the rest of us already see what is going to take place in this fight.

i think if he actually becomes competent in takedown-d and ground game his boxing will push the striking to a higher level in the sport in general.

He's 41 and has zero wrestling or JJ background. Let's not get ahead of ourselves lol. He'll he isn't ready to guard against a kick for all we know.

Obviously, there is the money aspect of it. You can guarantee the fight is going to sell PPVs. Boxing fans are going to buy the fight expecting a former champion to demolish the 'inferior' striking skills of MMA. MMA fans are going to buy the fight to watch Randy Couture press Toney into the fence, take him down, and make him regret ever signing with the UFC, which is what is going to in fact happen.

Other than the money side of the fight I believe that Dana White wants to make a statement to the boxing community. Professional boxers, not at all, but some as well as boxing fans, commentators, organization presidents etc. think that boxers are far superior in skill and technicality than MMA fighters. We have been referred to as rednecks that just swing for the fences, and 'dry ****' eachother on the ground. Any real MMA fan knows this couldn't be farther from the truth, but I think Dana White is putting Toney in to embarrass him and prove that you can't just get into fighting and coast on your hands.

I mean come on, his first fight is with Randy Couture. Could that be any worse of a matchup for him? A guy notoriously known for closing the distance and man-handling his opponents. It's not like the Kimbo fight. He didn't give him a fight to fit his style to break him in. Dana White gave him the worst fight possible to make the statement that he can't hang in the UFC plain and simple. He wants to embarrass him.

Obviously' date=' there is the money aspect of it. You can guarantee the fight is going to sell PPVs. Boxing fans are going to buy the fight expecting a former champion to demolish the 'inferior' striking skills of MMA. MMA fans are going to buy the fight to watch Randy Couture press Toney into the fence, take him down, and make him regret ever signing with the UFC, which is what is going to in fact happen.

Other than the money side of the fight I believe that Dana White wants to make a statement to the boxing community. Professional boxers, not at all, but some as well as boxing fans, commentators, organization presidents etc. think that boxers are far superior in skill and technicality than MMA fighters. We have been referred to as rednecks that just swing for the fences, and 'dry ****' eachother on the ground. Any real MMA fan knows this couldn't be farther from the truth, but I think Dana White is putting Toney in to embarrass him and prove that you can't just get into fighting and coast on your hands.

I mean come on, his first fight is with Randy Couture. Could that be any worse of a matchup for him? A guy notoriously known for closing the distance and man-handling his opponents. It's not like the Kimbo fight. He didn't give him a fight to fit his style to break him in. Dana White gave him the worst fight possible to make the statement that he can't hang in the UFC plain and simple. He wants to embarrass him.[/quote']

culd not hav said it any better myself...and yeah dana aint guna put toney in with a pure striker or a break in fighter,give him one of the best to start with...i wuld soo laugh if couture knocks him out

Why is Toney being allowed to fight in the UFC? I thought this organization was above gimmicks and stupid sideshow matchups.

You should of asked that question when Brock wanted to fight in the ufc. Brock has proven himself to be a worthy opponent and competitor, but prior to that, no one knew anything about him and could easily dismiss him as you are about to dismiss James Toney.

Archived