pride had its good points.

slfsrvingslave

PRIDE was simply better than the UFC. Dana thought UFC had the best fighter in the world in Chuck Liddell then he got owned by Rampage in PRIDE Grand Prix Dana and Co buy out PRIDE take most their good fighters and make them fight differently then they did in Japan. quick history lesson for you.

PRIDE was simply better than the UFC. Dana thought UFC had the best fighter in the world in Chuck Liddell then he got owned by Rampage in PRIDE Grand Prix Dana and Co buy out PRIDE take most their good fighters and make them fight differently then they did in Japan. quick history lesson for you.

all true, but i think the ufc rules allow for more technical fights as opposed to the brawls we all knew and loved in pride.

all true' date=' but i think the ufc rules allow for more technical fights as opposed to the brawls we all knew and loved in pride.[/quote']

there were many technical matchups in PRIDE. and the crowd respected both striking and grappling which made it seem much more humane and respectable instead of fans booing fighters for taking someone down. As brutal as PRIDE was it was also very technical and respected during its time.

there were many technical matchups in PRIDE. and the crowd respected both striking and grappling which made it seem much more humane and respectable instead of fans booing fighters for taking someone down. As brutal as PRIDE was it was also very technical and respected during its time.

maybe i am just thinking this since fighting has evolved alot in the last 6 years. wanderlei silva made me start watching mma.

I totally agree. UFC needs some type of yellow card, and I'd like to see kicks to the ground come back, give the good wrestlers a little something to worry about.

Wanderlei was an amazing fighter. Like some other guy said on here, sadly he was never the same after he got kicked by Mirko Crocop.

I totally agree. UFC needs some type of yellow card' date=' and I'd like to see kicks to the ground come back, give the good wrestlers a little something to worry about.

Wanderlei was an amazing fighter. Like some other guy said on here, [i']sadly he was never the same after he got kicked by Mirko Crocop[/i].

its hard to be the same after one of those....i was never the same and i only watched it.

I totally agree. UFC needs some type of yellow card' date=' and I'd like to see kicks to the ground come back, give the good wrestlers a little something to worry about.

Wanderlei was an amazing fighter. Like some other guy said on here, sadly he was never the same after he got kicked by Mirko Crocop.[/quote']

totally soccer kicks. and i think knees to the head on the ground too. it gives a guy a reason to get to a better position.

totally with wanderlei, and so many k.o.s after that too.

all true' date=' but i think the ufc rules allow for more technical fights as opposed to the brawls we all knew and loved in pride.[/quote']

I do not agree... the pride refs where legendary in choosing when to restart a fight.. The us judges lets people wrestle to long, even if they do not g&p or go for submissions...

i miss pride

I do not agree... the pride refs where legendary in choosing when to restart a fight.. The us judges lets people wrestle to long' date=' even if they do not g&p or go for submissions...

i miss pride[/quote']

sometimes it does go on too long, however if a guy is advancing his position, let it happen, we all know that once a guy gets full mount or takes back and stretches a dude out the fight will likely end.

I do not agree... the pride refs where legendary in choosing when to restart a fight.. The us judges lets people wrestle to long' date=' even if they do not g&p or go for submissions...

[b']

i miss pride[/b]

...tear running down my cheek while looking at my PRIDE DVD collection that will never expand.

pride will always be the best mma org there ever was' date=' i just dont get the same excitement and emotion out of ufc events. dont get me wrng i still like the ufc but its just pride watered down.[/quote']

i feel the same except the other way around.....would like the yellow card in ufc

yea Pride was awesome...I actually think it was a smart move for UFC to buy them out thou, cuz if Pride was still on today with all the wrestling and lay n pray thats been going on latley alot of people wouldve ditched UFC and gone to Pride. It's just something about it that made it more exciting...the ring...the japanese refs...stomps, head kicks to a downed opponent ext. it made it seem like a video game

well I remember watching that Lidell Fight, and the buyout happened a few years after that I believe. Part of the problem with pride was the conditions the fighters had to deal with.

I liked the yellow card Idea for sure, I did not like the 10min first round though. You think guys gas out after 5 mins, it happens even more after 10. I've watched a ton of pride fights and it did happen a lot. Also, to me, the soccer kicks and knees to the head were stupid. It caused too many injuries, which is why the UFC won't ever have it. Say what you want about Lay and pray or whatever, but the UFC refs have stood up a lot of fighters when they have been advancing positions as well.

The only major thing that is different between pride and UFC as far as the fighting style is concerned is there is not a ring, its the octagon, the cage. Pride obviously had it in a regular boxing style ring, which obviously has made for a tough transition to the cage for some of the pride vets. Open weight tourneys were cool, but again, so many injuries its a logistical nightmare.

A lot of the top fighters came from pride, but have not fared well in UFC, and some have come over from not being all that great in Pride and turned out to be some of the greatest in history (A. Silva anyone?) So you can make the argument either way.

To me, the biggest thing from pride they should take would be a yellow card for stalling. Points don't make a huge difference if the fighters are way ahead on the scorecard anyways, but the money always seemed to get their attention.

Archived