maybe the noobest question ever

e_r_i_k

but can anyone tell me exactly what it means when a fighter is introduced as a "freestyle" fighter?

i would have thought it meant someone who dosent specialze in anything in particular, but it seems those guys would be intro'd as a MMA'ist

can anyone shed some light on this plz

but can anyone tell me exactly what it means when a fighter is introduced as a "freestyle" fighter?

i would have thought it meant someone who dosent specialze in anything in particular' date=' but it seems those guys would be intro'd as a MMA'ist

can anyone shed some light on this plz[/quote']

I suppose it would mean not coming from 1 particular base style.

i would have thought it meant someone who dosent specialze in anything in particular' date=' but it seems those guys would be intro'd as a MMA'ist

Im guessing a lil bit ov everything that one does not dominate in one category.

I'd imagine it's up to the fighter how they're announced.....freestyle just implies they don't have a specific discipline. Probably haven't formed a particular style, like Thai, Wrestling, Karate.....so they could be introduced as a mixed martial artist, or a freestyle fighter. I'm quite sure they're about the same thing - just a preference for description.

A freestyle fighter is someone who does not lay claim to any "base" art.

They never specialized in boxing' date=' wrestling, kickboxing, Muay Thai etc.

Cheers

-DR[/quote']

I thought that is what MMA is all about....not specializing in one area. Hence, mixed martial arts.

I thought that is what MMA is all about....not specializing in one area. Hence' date=' mixed martial arts.[/quote']

Yes..MMA is mixing it all together. But as of now...most fighters except for the exceptionally young...at one time or another.."started" somewhere.

For instance they were a boxer. Or amateur wrestler.

Sure if you fight MMA...I HOPE you can do more than one thing. BUT...when a fighters style is announced..they will often announce that first BASE discipline they specialized in.

Cheers

-DR

Yes..MMA is mixing it all together. But as of now...most fighters except for the exceptionally young...at one time or another.."started" somewhere.

For instance they were a boxer. Or amateur wrestler.

Sure if you fight MMA...I HOPE you can do more than one thing. BUT...when a fighters style is announced..they will often announce that first BASE discipline they specialized in.

Cheers

-DR

So essentialy a freestyle fighter and a MMA fighter might be considered the same discipline; to not focus on one style.

I understand most fighters come from a specific background and then expand their fighting skills to different styles. But a freestyle fighter? A little bit of this a little bit of that etc, compared to a Mixed Martial Artist who is skilled and fluent in ALL aspects of fighting techniques.

Cheers

freestyle wrestling?

Ideally yes but when was the last time you saw Gray Maynard try to pull a flying armbar or Maia slam somebody into the mat?

thanks to everyone for trying to answer this for me

thanks especially to you two, because we've been going at it lately over brock/carwin, and you guys still managed to give a straight answer with no BS in between;)

even though we dont agree on brock, you 2 still managed to give your opinions...TY

thanks to everyone for trying to answer this for me

thanks especially to you two' date=' because we've been going at it lately over brock/carwin, and you guys still managed to give a straight answer with no BS in between;)

even though we dont agree on brock, you 2 still managed to give your opinions...TY[/quote']

No problem and I've instituted a new rule.

Never click on anything with the words Brock or Carwin on it.

I have yet to see one of those threads NOT go to hell within two hours of its creation.

freestyle wrestling?

Ideally yes but when was the last time you saw Gray Maynard try to pull a flying armbar or Maia slam somebody into the mat?

But if they have your fight videos already how would that help?

Maybe in the first fight or two but it wouldn't work long term.

No problem and I've instituted a new rule.

Never click on anything with the words Brock or Carwin on it.

I have yet to see one of those threads NOT go to hell within two hours of its creation.

lol yea your pretty right...

as a matter of fact

its NEVER good to replay to any thread brock related

i give you my word...if brocks name is in the thread, arguments are guaranteed to insue...lol

What else are you supposed to call Jardine.

lol yea your pretty right...

as a matter of fact

its NEVER good to replay to any thread brock related

i give you my word...if brocks name is in the thread' date=' arguments are guaranteed to insue...lol[/quote']

Yeah dude its threads like those that just lead me to get pissed off and start to hate loggin on to a website as well as hate whoevers fans you're arguing with.

By the way if I came off as an a**hole the other night sorry. I was pretty wasted.

What else are you supposed to call Jardine.

i know this isnt an "official" fight term

but

"this man is an under the bridge (troll) fighter" sounds right to me

he's always reminded me of a bald troll

i guess cause of his stance....lol

Yeah dude its threads like those that just lead me to get pissed off and start to hate loggin on to a website as well as hate whoevers fans you're arguing with.

By the way if I came off as an a**hole the other night sorry. I was pretty wasted.

lol its all good...i get in the zone too

never any offense intended to anyone:p

Archived