Is Anderson striking acually that good ?

wanderlei4ever

Lets start off with chris leben he dominated him but his is not a good striker just has power, then he destroyed franklin with knees ill give him that, he go outstruk but cote, where was his "great striking" against maia, cote, lutter. leites his striking only appears good against can and lesser fighters

.... it has been a while since he was seriously challenged >

Win Demian Maia Decision (Unanimous) UFC 112 - Invincible 4/10/2010 5 5:00

Win Forrest Griffin KO (Punch) UFC 101 - Declaration 8/8/2009 1 3:23

Win Thales Leites Decision (Unanimous) UFC 97 - Redemption 4/18/2009 5 5:00

Win Patrick Cote TKO (Knee Injury) UFC 90 - Silva vs. Cote 10/25/2008 3 0:39

Win James Irvin KO (Punches) UFC - Fight Night 14 7/19/2008 1 1:01

Lets start off with chris leben he dominated him but his is not a good striker just has power' date=' then he destroyed franklin with knees ill give him that, he go outstruk but cote, where was his "great striking" against maia, cote, lutter. leites his striking only appears good against can and lesser fighters[/quote']

I see your point but..... Forest is without doubt a great striker. He outstruck Rampage, He was definately outstriking Rashad. He has shown great striking ability. And Anderson made him look like he shouldn't be in the UFC at all. So Anderson has the striking but I don't think he has good enough cardio. I'm with Rogan when he said Anderson was tired against Maia. His ground game isn't superior either. When Anderson finally loses in the UFC, I bet it will be to a dominate wrestler. If a striker does it first, I will be surprised.

Lets start off with chris leben he dominated him but his is not a good striker just has power' date=' then he destroyed franklin with knees ill give him that, he go outstruk but cote, where was his "great striking" against maia, cote, lutter. leites his striking only appears good against can and lesser fighters[/quote']

Nah Andersons just weird.

If he sees a challenge in his opponent he will completely dominate them.

If he knows they never stood a shot to begin with he gets bored wins three rounds easily and rides the fight out the last two.

Point is Anderson just needs a challenge.

I see your point but..... Forest is without doubt a great striker. He outstruck Rampage' date=' He was definately outstriking Rashad. He has shown great striking ability. And Anderson made him look like he shouldn't be in the UFC at all. So Anderson has the striking but I don't think he has good enough cardio. I'm with Rogan when he said Anderson was tired against Maia. His ground game isn't superior either. When Anderson finally loses in the UFC, I bet it will be to a dominate wrestler. If a striker does it first, I will be surprised.[/quote']

yeah but don't forget a lot of fighters looked gased that night. Rogan said it in a Q&A the climate there was very hard is was intensily hot and humid and you could tell just when we saw rogan and goldberg talk at the beginning of the event they were all sweaty. That has to affect them u know...

Anderson himself obviously thinks its good which is why (if you believe the rumours) he wants to fight Roy Jone Jr in a straight up boxing match. Something (again if you believe what you read) Dana white isnt keen to happen. I have to wonder how much Andersons' nationality effects his popularity and therefore the general opinion of him. I cant defend his latest outing where he acted like an moron but I wonder if he has become bored by the lack of competition for him in the UFC. Personally i don't think you can doubt his striking. Leben (who nobody KO's) he won via TKO, Rich franklin (lost 4 times in recent memory, twice to Anderson silva) both TKO, Nate Marquardt TKO, James Irvin KO, Forrest Griffin KO. In fact, 30 career wins 15 by KO and 6 title defenses which i think may be a ufc record. Come on? His record speaks for itself. If Silva were America would anyone be questioning his stand up? Its not my place to say but i do have to wonder.

Yes, his striking is that good. I have trained with, and talked to, many boxing and Muay Thai coaches in the south east of the U.S. and I have gotten the same answer from all of them, A. Silva is the best striker in the UFC and usually MMA. Sometimes they compare Rua and he, but the only comparison made is that Rua is more powerful but not by much. A domininant wrestler may have the wreslters' equivalent to a punchers' chance but they will have to be better than Henderson and faster than Silva, not to mention that fights start standing. So anyone shooting in is liable to catch an uppercut or knee which will end the fight. I am a Silva fan, but I most admire the fact that a in sport dominated by wreslters (the vast majority of fighters trin diligently in takedowns so I'm talking MMA wreslting not collegiate) that a striker; Rua is also making a case for himself, can be so dominant. I am a proponent of dominating a fight and winning as opposed to grinding out decision wins everytime. You can not tell me that GSP was matched so evenly by Hardy that it needed to go to decision and the same with Evans/Rampage. I digress. Yes, his striking is that good. Nobody else makes other fighters; at the level they need to be to be in the ring for a title shot, look as amateurish in the striking game, nobody.

Yeah, i agree with anderson not being challenged. I'd like to see anderson keep fighting in the light heavyweight division. I liked andersons knock out over forest girffin. I dont think hes being challenged...i mean, hes fighting chael sonnen now and thats not gonna be a challenge for him either. All though i agree with dana when he said if anderson pulls that dancing around crap, that sonnen will just double leg him, but still, Anderson is gonna win that fight. no question. i'll be REAALLLY surprised if sonnen pulled out a win. I'd like to see anderson fight vitor belfort, lyoto machida (dana says it perfectly, theres no friends in the ufc) wanderlai silva, and i probablly would'nt mind him fighting rashad or shogun...maybe rampage but anderson would probably just use his muay thai and knee rampage.

first, cote had nothing on him silva won all the rounds, second maia was just standing there and anderson silva wanted to embarrass him by showing he can win without even fighting, third leites tried to go to the ground and he just laid on his back and anderson wasnt gonna fall for that trick......and what the **** do u mean he doesnt have great striking did u not see the forrest fight? he dodges punches at will and lands at will...

Anderson himself obviously thinks its good which is why (if you believe the rumours) he wants to fight Roy Jone Jr in a straight up boxing match. Something (again if you believe what you read) Dana white isnt keen to happen. I have to wonder how much Andersons' nationality effects his popularity and therefore the general opinion of him. I cant defend his latest outing where he acted like an moron but I wonder if he has become bored by the lack of competition for him in the UFC. Personally i don't think you can doubt his striking. Leben (who nobody KO's) he won via TKO' date=' Rich franklin (lost 4 times in recent memory, twice to Anderson silva) both TKO, Nate Marquardt TKO, James Irvin KO, Forrest Griffin KO. In fact, 30 career wins 15 by KO and 6 title defenses which i think may be a ufc record. Come on? His record speaks for itself. If Silva were America would anyone be questioning his stand up? Its not my place to say but i do have to wonder.[/quote']

What are you babbling about? Who cares if Anderson isn't American. People who question his standup are missing a bolt. If you know that people who question is standup are wrong then why waste the effort on them. His standup is very good and to say otherwise is dumb.

What are you babbling about? Who cares if Anderson isn't American. People who question his standup are missing a bolt. If you know that people who question is standup are wrong then why waste the effort on them. His standup is very good and to say otherwise is dumb.

The point i was driving at (poorly as it may seem) is that fans are far more fickle when it comes to non-American/non english speaking, fighters. One poor performance, one bad deed and suddenly they suck **** when clearly this is not the case. I agree its stupid to suggest his stand up is "weak" i'm merely procrastinating as to why someone would say such a stupid thing. Hush my mouth...

The point i was driving at (poorly as it may seem) is that fans are far more fickle when it comes to non-American/non english speaking' date=' fighters. One poor performance, one bad deed and suddenly they suck **** when clearly this is not the case. I agree its stupid to suggest his stand up is "weak" i'm merely procrastinating as to why someone would say such a stupid thing. Hush my mouth...[/quote']

I can see what you mean. Silva does speak english, don't let him fool you. I think he doesn't talk because as much of a badass as he is. He has a little girls voice, I kid you not. On the flip side, Wanderlei Silva is not American. He's had an unipressive record in the UFC but it seems like everyone loves him, myself included. He could lose 100 more times and I will still proudly call him the best LHW champ of all time. People say dumb things because.....well...they're dumb.

I'm no Spider fan in the slightest, but you've got to give credit where it's due - and his striking is far and away the best in the world at MW.

He's the only fighter in the division than moves his head and feet effectively, like a boxer. His recent fights show signs of Roy Jones Jr.......which is a big compliment.

He's not known for hooks, or uppercuts, but his jabs and straights are like precise arrows. And let's not forget what he can do with those knees.

I think another more technical striker like Shogun could easily whoop him, but at MW, nobody touches Silva's skillset as a striker.

The point i was driving at (poorly as it may seem) is that fans are far more fickle when it comes to non-American/non english speaking' date=' fighters. One poor performance, one bad deed and suddenly they suck **** when clearly this is not the case. I agree its stupid to suggest his stand up is "weak" i'm merely procrastinating as to why someone would say such a stupid thing. Hush my mouth...[/quote']

you may be talking about the 14 year olds that have infected this site as of late, but even the casual MMA fan who has been watching for a few years understands that the belts will probably not be held by all americans. This is a worldwide sport, while american wrestlers have a great background to get into MMA, it would be infantile to think that only americans would hold the belts, anyone who is upset by that is obviously watching the wrong sport.

And to the OP, YES, Anderson Silva has some of the most deadly striking in all of MMA.

yeah but don't forget a lot of fighters looked gased that night. Rogan said it in a Q&A the climate there was very hard is was intensily hot and humid and you could tell just when we saw rogan and goldberg talk at the beginning of the event they were all sweaty. That has to affect them u know...

I seriously doubt a hot, humid enviroment affected a guy who lives in trains in Brazil. Its almost as hot and even more humid there.

Been to Brazil and The UAE there is no comparison. Ever. Get off the plane in Dubai and friggin melt' date=' and that's at night. Sao Paulo is not so bad, it's hot don't get me wrong but it is not Dubai.[/quote']

I spent time in both while in the military. I didnt notice much difference except that it was much wetter in Brazil. Dubai was more of a dry heat.

Course I grew up in the SW dessert so maybe thats why the dessert there didnt bother me as much. I guess your mileage will vary with something like that.

Could I just raise the point that you seem to be forgetting to mention any of Silva's fights outside of the UFC? He was showcasing his superior striking skills long before he stepped into the Octagon.

(and yes, this is my 1st post on the forum, not sure if that void's my opinion or what. I check here regularly but have never bothered to sign up before; mainly because most of the threads I read tend to turn into opinionated arguments rather than discussions. Nevertheless there does seem to be a few interesting topics and link posted around so I thought I'd join.)

Could I just raise the point that you seem to be forgetting to mention any of Silva's fights outside of the UFC? He was showcasing his superior striking skills long before he stepped into the Octagon.

(and yes' date=' this is my 1st post on the forum, not sure if that void's my opinion or what. I check here regularly but have never bothered to sign up before; mainly because most of the threads I read tend to turn into opinionated arguments rather than discussions. Nevertheless there does seem to be a few interesting topics and link posted around so I thought I'd join.)[/quote']

You have to look at who those other fights were against.

The only names were Carlos Newton, whose 15-13

Jeremy horn whose fought so many times his body must be a train wreck and who was also outstruck by Liddel.

Jorge Rivera... who was 9-4 at the time

And a LOSS to Yushin okami

Everyone else before UFC was can. Some of whom beat him.

You have to look at who those other fights were against.

The only names were Carlos Newton' date=' whose 15-13

Jeremy horn whose fought so many times his body must be a train wreck and who was also outstruck by Liddel.

Jorge Rivera... who was 9-4 at the time

And a LOSS to Yushin okami

Everyone else before UFC was can. Some of whom beat him.[/quote']

Yeah I agree with what you're saying, although the loss to Yushin Okami is irrelevant when we are talking about Silva's striking, it was clear that Silva had far superior striking in the Okami fight, and getting DQ'd was his own stupid fault.

I was merely pointing out that you can't base a fighters skills purely on what they have achieved fighting in the UFC. Look at Silva's striking against Tony Fryklund 14-9, still obviosuly a lesser opponent but who else do you see knocking someone out like that? It's not just about how good Silva's striking is but how inventive and unpredictable it is and in the UFC we can see it improving all the time.

For me questions over Silva's striking ability will only be answered when he fights Belfort.

Anderson Silva isn't just a great striker, but if you think about it, his body is literally designed for MMA...

Small torso... long arms... long legs... gives him advantages with his striking, agility, speed, and BJJ off his back... literally built like a spider...

When Lutter had the full mount and was punching, Anderson was able to throw his leg past his head to knock him back so he could get up... not a lot of people can do that... that's why he's so versatile... not just because he's skilled at what he does, but also because his body is built in a way that allows him to do what he does...

And thats what sets him apart... very similar to what people say about Michael Phelps being able to swim like he does because, not only is he very well trained in what he does, but he's literally built like a fish (long arms, large torso, small legs)...

The only way I can ever see Anderson Silva losing is by his own complacency... like if he bought into his hype so much he quit training...

I spent time in both while in the military. I didnt notice much difference except that it was much wetter in Brazil. Dubai was more of a dry heat.

Course I grew up in the SW dessert so maybe thats why the dessert there didnt bother me as much. I guess your mileage will vary with something like that.

IDK how you grew up in the SW, whew! I went to NTC and JRTC and Dubai and Sao Paulo were comparitive to both respectively as far as moisture which was not so bad cause I grew up near Miami, but nothing was hot like the UAE, not even Benning. I dont see how you could take it man. I give you props.

Yeah I agree with what you're saying' date=' although the loss to Yushin Okami is irrelevant when we are talking about Silva's striking, it was clear that Silva had far superior striking in the Okami fight, and getting DQ'd was his own stupid fault.

I was merely pointing out that you can't base a fighters skills purely on what they have achieved fighting in the UFC. Look at Silva's striking against Tony Fryklund 14-9, still obviosuly a lesser opponent but who else do you see knocking someone out like that? It's not just about how good Silva's striking is but how inventive and unpredictable it is and in the UFC we can see it improving all the time.

For me questions over Silva's striking ability will only be answered when he fights Belfort.[/quote']

I dont think the Belfort fight will happen.

To me Silva is giant question mark. He has shown some great moments, but shown some really pis poor ones too, especially against submissions.

It doesnt help at all that he is cutting a ton of wieght to fight in the weakest division either.

I think if the UFC gave GSP enough money to move up and fight him, or gave Anderson enough money to move up and fight the top LHW we would have a clearer picture. But right now its just a big mystery how good he actually is.

It also doesnt help that you never know if Silva the figher or Silva the dancing clown will show up.

IDK how you grew up in the SW' date=' whew! I went to NTC and JRTC and Dubai and Sao Paulo were comparitive to both respectively as far as moisture which was not so bad cause I grew up near Miami, but nothing was hot like the UAE, not even Benning. I dont see how you could take it man. I give you props.[/quote']

LOL well when you live here you dont have much choice. You get used to it.

I actually hated Benning. GA made me feel like had to take a shower, like all the time, everyday. Just always needed to shower. I didnt really feel hot so much as nasty. Humidity is miserable though.

LOL well when you live here you dont have much choice. You get used to it.

I actually hated Benning. GA made me feel like had to take a shower' date=' like all the time, everyday. [b']Just always needed to shower[/b]. I didnt really feel hot so much as nasty. Humidity is miserable though.

What are you trying to pick people up, or talk MMA?

You should stick to showering and not talking about MMA. You just got fed on the Nazi thread. lol

What are you trying to pick people up' date=' or talk MMA?

You should stick to showering and not talking about MMA. You just got fed on the Nazi thread. lol[/quote']

Pick people up? LOL you must be a teenage homophobe.

This is the sort of thing that people who have traveled the world talk about. The food, the culture, the local laws, the weather. Those of us with a little experiance in real life occasionally have actual experiance to talk about with other grown ups.

When you get out of school and become an adult you might learn that.

Archived