Sanchez - A waste of talent?

FiEnD

Gah, I havent posted on this forum in awhile but after thinking about Diego and his recent loss I cant help but vent about the guy. I feel that if Diego moved to a camp (Back to Jacksons) and actually trained with elite fighters, better fighters than himself, he would be doing a lot better. I feel hes wasting away and the sport is going to pass him up if he doesnt pull his head out of his ****.

Diego, go back to New Mexico.

My buddy met the dude at UFC 115 and said he was totally ****-faced hammered and acting like a complete ****. Makes me wonder if the whole spiritual yogi **** he puts on is just an act.

I really don't imagine this guy fairing well with the elite of the 170-pound division, most likely to become another gatekeeper.

I dont know. I feel that although his stand up is still terrible it may be decent enough to set up some of his old school take downs to GNP. Ever since he left Jacksons gym he's been working on stand up and bjj. Thats great and all but why leave a gym where your getting world class stand up and bjj to go to a gym thats going to give you world class bjj only? Kinda makes me think of the saying "Why fix something if its not broken?"

Sanchez was doing all the right things. He was landing his take downs and GNP. I think if he went back to Jacksons Camp and picked up where he left off he would benefit. His standup still needs help but its good enough to set up his old school takedowns. He needs to go back to his roots. Go home Diego. Before its too late.

I totally agree. I thought he looked sloppy as early as the BJ fight, I don't think BJ turned in a hugely dominating performance- Diego simply went for the same style of takedown over and over and over...He really didn't do much else, whenever he was striking he got tagged over and over by basic counterstriking.

He needs to change camps, change his attitude because the whole "YES!" thing is not working out so well, and get back into title contention.

Diego (one of my favorite fighters or at least used to be) was really good until that video of him training with Oscar De La Hoya. Ever since that he's never been the same, and has lost too many fights. We all know what happened to De La Hoya towards the end of his career, no idea why he was training with him.

It's like Anderson Silva was training with Steven Segal who apparently ate someone's pudgy kids,. lets see how well he fairs in his next fight.

I was a huge fan of his, and have been stating the same things about him returning to a top camp. He looks freaking horrible out there. I remember arguing with some guy on here about him training at his camp in San Diego.

Diego actually moved back to New Mexico, to be around his family. He has not returned to Greg Jackson's camp, and I believe that it is because he doesn't want to lose face, as he left originally when Jackson started training GSP. No offense to him, but GSP just has alot more physical attributes that he doesn't have at 170 (Mainly reach, and alot more athleticism). After seeing how much muscle mass he lost at 155 I thought that he looked outright scary skinny, but even when he returned at 170, he basically lost all that mass. I don't think he can return to 170lbs., he just lost too much muscle. Just to prove my point I added some images of Diego when he was at the 170lbs. class, and what he looked like at 155, and subsequently looks like now. It's a night and day difference guys. (Note the rib tattoo at 155).

His striking skills really aren't that formidable. He does the same combos repeatedly, and honestly I see alot of guys on the independent circuit that have better standup. He needs to utilize leg kicks, as he needs a way to set up those takedowns. He isn't a Josh Koscheck, who can basically tear into an opponent and keep pushing. He just doesn't have the explosiveness to do so.

Honestly I feel that he is diminishing, and at such a young age it doesn't make sense. If you look at old vids of him, and how fast he was when he was at Greg Jackson's camp, versus his last two fights, it's as if he was fighting in slow motion.

He should drop down again and make a new run for the title. He cant beat BJ but he still can put away a lot of LW.

If BJ gets a flogging again in his next fight, I think Diego is in with a chance to get the belt. 2 or 3 wins in a row at LW will get him there.

He needs to suck up his pride and realize he most likely won't even reach GSP, and should go back to Jacksons' camp. I don't know how hard or easy it was for him to make 155, but he looked great at 155, and while I don't see a rematch with Penn going any differently, I see him having some great fights at 155.

He should drop down again and make a new run for the title. He cant beat BJ but he still can put away a lot of LW.

If BJ gets a flogging again in his next fight' date=' I think [b']Diego is in with a chance to get the belt.[/b] 2 or 3 wins in a row at LW will get him there.

No way dude, Diego's last run at the lightweight title wasn't exactly stellar. I don't think he really ever deserved a title shot at 155, he only had two fights at 155 leading up to his title shot. A unanimous decision over Joe Stevenson, not the most impressive one either, then a split-decision victory over Clay Guida which is even less impressive because Guida worked him pretty good and Guida isn't exactly a top contender either and although it was a very entertaining fight, I do not believe that Diego proved he was ready for a shot at the belt.

If Deigo was to return to the division there are many fighters there who would whoop him, Florian, Maynard, Dunham, Edgar, Penn, (Jim) Miller, Sotiropoulos, Griffin.

Diego is not a contender in either division, 170 or 155.

No way dude' date=' Diego's last run at the lightweight title wasn't exactly stellar. I don't think he really ever deserved a title shot at 155, he only had two fights at 155 leading up to his title shot. A unanimous decision over Joe Stevenson, not the most impressive one either, then a [b']split-decision[/b] victory over Clay Guida which is even less impressive because Guida worked him pretty good and Guida isn't exactly a top contender either and although it was a very entertaining fight, I do not believe that Diego proved he was ready for a shot at the belt.

If Deigo was to return to the division there are many fighters there who would whoop him, Florian, Maynard, Dunham, Edgar, Penn, (Jim) Miller, Sotiropoulos, Griffin.

Diego is not a contender in either division, 170 or 155.

I think he is better at 170 then 155, though i'm really beginning to wonder about how he lost soo much weight, as I showed in those photos earlier. His body just looks weird now. At 155 he seemed to tire faster, as he had to cut more weight. Whilst he was definitely smaller then Hathaway, he was always, more or less, a smaller fighter. I mean c'mon he fought at 185lbs. during the UF, and won the thing, whilst everyone was gunning for him.

He needs to hit the gym, and hard, and go suck it up, and return to Jackson's camp or go to ATA. He looks freaking pathetic out there right now, and I don't even see Hathaway as a top 10 WW. Sanchez, as someone else stated, just looks sloppy out there. Doesn't set up anything, does the same 3 punch combo, and never utilizes any reach.

I would like him to return to 155, just so Florian could deck him, and get him to develop some humility, as he has always needed to get his ego in check.

Still a talented fighter, which everyone says trains harder then anybody.

• 2 weeks later...

Diegos biggest issue was being too ****y. His downfall didnt start when he trained with De la hoya. It started when he let his emotions get the best of him at weighins for the KOS fight. He blamed Jacksons Camp for his loss then was threatend at the idea of having to train with GSP. Why he got ahead of himself and automatically figured he would face GSP in the future is beyond me. The fact of the matter is Jacksons Camp is where he belongs. And even if he was to face GSP. It sure **** hell wasnt going to happen at the time. Why turn down a chance to train with a UFC title holder. It would have been great. He would have been worked up and down the mats and he would have learned something out of it.

If diego did in fact move back then I have hope he will be back at Jacksons Camp!

When did this move take place?

Diegos biggest issue was being too ****y. His downfall didnt start when he trained with De la hoya. It started when he let his emotions get the best of him at weighins for the KOS fight. He blamed Jacksons Camp for his loss then was threatend at the idea of having to train with GSP. Why he got ahead of himself and automatically figured he would face GSP in the future is beyond me. The fact of the matter is Jacksons Camp is where he belongs. And even if he was to face GSP. It sure **** hell wasnt going to happen at the time. Why turn down a chance to train with a UFC title holder. It would have been great. He would have been worked up and down the mats and he would have learned something out of it.

If diego did in fact move back then I have hope he will be back at Jacksons Camp!

Forgot he blamed his staff infection for the KOS fight. Thats a legitimate excuse for losing. Fact is, he should have pull out of the fight and faught 100%.

Diego is one of those "decent" fighters. He's decent at everything but not "dominant" in one area. His striking is horrible, all he does is throw the same 1-2's throughout the Penn and Hathaway fight. If he can get a good boxing coach him he'll be Top 5. He's one of my favorite and hope to see him back on top.

WAR Sanchez.

Diego is one of those "decent" fighters. He's decent at everything but not "dominant" in one area. His striking is horrible' date=' all he does is throw the same 1-2's throughout the Penn and Hathaway fight. If he can get a good boxing coach him he'll be Top 5. He's one of my favorite and hope to see him back on top.

WAR Sanchez.[/quote']

He's one of my favourites, too.

IMO, he could beat Frankie Edgar.

who's the one of the worlds best bjj practicioners?

hes talkin about saulo ribeiro...hes deff one of the best bjj practicioners....but yea i dont think he trains with him anymore since leaving san diego....he trains with like a bunch of nobodies in new mexico check out this video.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYuAXv0tQ7I

yea he did move i dont think he is training with saulo ribiero anymore...which i dont like i thought he was learning alot with him he just needed to bring in a good striking coach and work more wrestling......check this video out......

I think he's definately got the talent there. I wouldn't say he's overrated.....

When he fought Clay Guida, he fought with some real venom! Everything about his performance to me was fantastic and it was a great fight. Since then though....he's lost his edge. Ever since the loss to Penn really. Shame.

Archived