How strong are MMA fighters?

AXEINGAR

I realize they are among the top athletes in the world but thats not what I am asking. Just raw strength how do they stack up to say a football player etc. Just looking at Brock or Shane I would assume they are both capable of throwing around 3-400 lbs with most major muscle groups. But what about the smaller guys. GSP for example he is cut and in shape but do you think he is capable of benching 3-400 lbs or look at A Silvia. He looks fairly small just muscle wise for his devision. Anyway just thinking ~ share your thoughts and please discuss not bash for trolling because im not.

Wrestlers are functionally the strongest people in the world, i think brock is the strongest fighter in the ufc ( not that it will help him against carwin) but i have heard many fighters say that gsp is the p4p strongest fighter in mma.

But strength plays a very small role in most sports ( except weight lifting) take soccer,rugby,american football relie more on speed,power and explosiveness.

Wrestlers are functionally the strongest people in the world' date=' i think brock is the strongest fighter in the ufc ( not that it will help him against carwin) but i have heard many fighters say that gsp is the p4p strongest fighter in mma.

But strength plays a very small role in most sports ( except weight lifting) take soccer,rugby,american football relie more on speed,power and explosiveness.[/quote']

(MOD EDIT)

I bet many UFC guys can put up 315+

I know Lesnar can easily bench well over 400 lbs. He was juiced to the gills in the WWE. I bet he has done over 500lbs before.

As a bodybuilder and martial arts as a second hobby, I get the best of strength training and functional strength and flexibility. I can bench 365 for 6 reps. I never do a 1 rep max. I'm not a naturally strong bencher either. 6'2" and 245lbs

However, bench really isn't the impressive strength determiner. I definitely think a squat or a deadlift prove much more functional strength than a bench press.

When it comes to technique though, if your technique is not good, a normal dude can submit a real strong dude.

Sitting in the gym and getting buff doesn't do much for a fighter if his skill is lacking. Ask Pudzianowski.

Penn's a flabby ****, but he kicks **** because his skill is very good.

I realize they are among the top athletes in the world but thats not what I am asking. Just raw strength how do they stack up to say a football player etc. Just looking at Brock or Shane I would assume they are both capable of throwing around 3-400 lbs with most major muscle groups. But what about the smaller guys. GSP for example he is cut and in shape but do you think he is capable of benching 3-400 lbs or look at A Silvia. He looks fairly small just muscle wise for his devision. Anyway just thinking ~ share your thoughts and please discuss not bash for trolling because im not.

Well the smaller weight classes dont really have comparisons in major American sports.

Take football, even the halfbacks, which are the little fast guys are usually 220 or so. Basketball players are nearly always 200 pounds or more, i would wager that baseball is the same too.

You would really have to compare them to golfers to tennis players. Since neither of those is really a strength sport Its very hard to say.

You could compare them to more obscure sports like surfing or rock climbing. In which case i think the rock climbers are probably the pound for pound strongest and surfers probably have better core strength and overall endurance.

Its very hard to say for sure though.

I would say the best answer is proportionately, MMA fighters are the strongest athletes in the world. This is best proven by those few episodes of "Fight Science" in which they were testing effective power in every martial art. The first episode compared all the classic martial arts against each other to find the most powerful and effective strikes among them. At this time MMA was left out of the testing. They found the most powerful kicks were Muay Thai, punches were American style boxing, judo had the most effectively powerful throws/ takedowns, etc..

The next episdoe compared these "best of" against MMA fighters. They tested guys like Tito, Rampage, El Guapo, and Randy Couture and found that hands down, the weakest of the MMA strikers in each category was still more powerful than the strongest of the traditional arts.

El Guapo was of course the most powerful puncher and kicker. In fact they had to run the kick tests several times to verify that it wasn't an equipment malfunction. An el Guapo liver kick was like getting hit with a car moving 30 MPH. A straight right hand was powerful enough to cause brain damage or even possibly death against an untrained person.

The science guys postulated that due to the variety of training received by MMA fighters in several fighting styles and strength techniques, their entire bodies are trained to the extreme and the overall strength, fitness, and athletic capabilities surpass that of athletes from any other specific sport.

They did another episode to find the most powerful impacts in professional sports, and it was a Rampage Jackson slam, like the one that KO'd Arona and a few others early in his career. It was more than a wide open field hit on a receiver in football, more than an against the boards check in hockey. They said the only way to match it is sports today is a car crash like the one that killed Dale Earnhardt.

So I would say, in comparison to other athletes from other sports, in a side by side, pound for pound type challenge, MMA fighters are the most powerful athletes in the world.

Show us a credible source for your accusations then there is no need to edit your post.

Ken Shamrock admitted it.

Sean Sherk got suspended for testing positive(obvious juicer).

Royce Gracie, the skinny dude that he is, got busted and fined.

Stephan Bonner too. Claimed it would help an elbow injury. Hope he didn't use stanozolol, hahaha

Use google, there are tons of credible sources for this info.

As a guy who is closely associated in the Bodybuilding circle and is very familiar with AAS use, when a guy tests positive for AAS, I know it wasn't an accident. People try to ******** with excuses, but they are fvkking lying.

Supplement companies don't taint creatine and $#!T with steroids. They'd be found out, sued and put in prison in the US.

First of all, oral steroids are expensive, and supplement companies can't afford to put in an effective dose of methylated (oral) steroids in each serving. Second, if they put an ineffective dose in, their products wouldn't show supraphysiological amounts of lean tissue growth anyways, so there's no point. Third, if they put in high of amount of testosterone (usually made in a suspenison for IM injection) in powdered supplements, it would again be ineffective. Testoserone is less than 15% bioavilable taken orally. The liver breaks it down and the resulting metabolites are useless for performance enhancment. and it costs too much as well.

So, in the end, if a guy is testing + for 2500ng/dl testoterone, they had to inject some real **** or chomp on some oxandrolone , fluoxymesterone, methandrostenolone, etc tablets and test positive for their corresponding metabolites.

Frankie Edgar does flat bench with dumbells with 90s and Gsp with 100s (2 years ago)

Alistair deadlifts 660 pounds

Thiago Alves does clean jerk with 220 for 10 reps with ease

Ken Shamrock admitted it.

Sean Sherk got suspended for testing positive(obvious juicer).

Royce Gracie' date=' the skinny dude that he is, got busted and fined.

Stephan Bonner too. Claimed it would help an elbow injury. Hope he didn't use stanozolol, hahaha

Use google, there are tons of credible sources for this info.

As a guy who is closely associated in the Bodybuilding circle and is very familiar with AAS use, when a guy tests positive for AAS, I know it wasn't an accident. People try to ******** with excuses, but they are fvkking lying.

Supplement companies don't taint creatine and $#!T with steroids. They'd be found out, sued and put in prison in the US.

First of all, oral steroids are expensive, and supplement companies can't afford to put in an effective dose of methylated (oral) steroids in each serving. Second, if they put an ineffective dose in, their products wouldn't show supraphysiological amounts of lean tissue growth anyways, so there's no point. Third, if they put in high of amount of testosterone (usually made in a suspenison for IM injection) in powdered supplements, it would again be ineffective. Testoserone is less than 15% bioavilable taken orally. The liver breaks it down and the resulting metabolites are useless for performance enhancment. and it costs too much as well.

So, in the end, if a guy is testing + for 2500ng/dl testoterone, they had to inject some real **** or chomp on some oxandrolone , fluoxymesterone, methandrostenolone, etc tablets and test positive for their corresponding metabolites.[/quote']

You provided a source for the ones I already knew. Show me one for GSP and Brock Lesnar.

Frankie Edgar does flat bench with dumbells with 90s and Gsp with 100s (2 years ago)

Alistair deadlifts 660 pounds

Thiago Alves does clean jerk with 220 for 10 reps with ease

I would have expected GSP to do more than that on the DB's. I would have thought he could manage atleast 120's.

You provided a source for the ones I already knew. Show me one for GSP and Brock Lesnar.

Apparently I do't have a source of legit information/confession for GSP or Lesnar using steroids. Suspicion only, but based upon my experience in seeing those who juice, I could name lots of names, and be about 85% accurate if everyone told the truth.

GSP, I can see either way. He is very lean for how much cardio they do. The level of cardio fighters go through typically is counterproductive to mainting muscle mass and losing fat. Excessive cardio to have extreme endurance encourages the body to hold body fat moreso than moderate cardio and lifting plus a sold diet.

Body builders don't do ridiculous amounts of grueling cardio all while staying huge and getting lean, even with steroids.

Lesnar obviously juiced in WWE. They guy was ridiculously huge and lean. Men don't get that big all by themselves. Lots of those guys in WWE, TNA etc juice.

Archived