Greatest Baseball Player of All Time

raffy_handsome

Who's your pick?

Majority of these guys are World Series winners, so let's focus more on the individual achievements, here are some.

Babe Ruth - 690 career slugging percentage, 714 HR

Ty Cobb - 11 career batting titles, set 90 majot League records

Lou Gehrig - Most career Grand Slam (23)

Joe DiMaggio - 56 game hitting streak

Roger Maris - His 61 HR in a season holds for 37 years

Barry Bonds - 7 times MVP. Major League record 73 HR in single season, All time leader in HR (762)

Hank Aaron - Former all time leader in HR (755)

Mark McGwire - All time HR record in a single season for a Rookie (49), former holder of single season HR (70)

Cal Ripken - 2,632 consecutive games played from May 30, 1982 to September 20, 1998.

Mickey Mantle - Records for most World Series home runs (18)

Jackie Robinson - First Black baseball player

Pete Rose - All time hits leader 4,256

My pick would be Mark McGwire, the guy broke a 37 year single season HR record, famous member of the Bash Brothers.

Baseball is struggling during the 70's & 80's era, but his rivalry with Sosa in breaking the HR record brings back some attention to the game.

Cal Ripken needs also some special mention, when you talked about the guy, you talked about the word commitment. he's the Randy Couture of baseball.

Who's your pick?

Majority of these guys are World Series winners' date=' so let's focus more on the individual achievements, here are some.

Barry Bonds - 7 times MVP. Major League record 73 HR in single season, All time leader in HR (762)

Mark McGwire - All time HR record in a single season for a Rookie (49), former holder of single season HR (70)

Cal Ripken - 2,632 consecutive games played from May 30, 1982 to September 20, 1998.

My pick would be Mark McGwire, the guy broke a 37 year single season HR record, famous member of the Bash Brothers.

Baseball is struggling during the 70's & 80's era, but his rivalry with Sosa in breaking the HR record brings back some attention to the game.

Cal Ripken needs also some special mention, when you talked about the guy, you talked about the word commitment. he's the Randy Couture of baseball.[/quote']

You forgot to put Griffey Jr. on your list.

630 HRs, 2781 hits, 10 gold gloves

Arguably one of the most complete baseball players of all time on offense and defense. I would put him before Mark McGwire and his steroids.

You forgot to put Griffey Jr. on your list.

630 HRs' date=' 2781 hits, [b']10 gold gloves[/b]

Arguably one of the most complete baseball players of all time on offense and defense. I would put him before Mark McGwire and his steroids.

Yeah I forgot to put him. The "Refuse To Lose at the Kingdom" series against the Yankees is awesome. He and the Big Unit emerges from that.

I would put Griffey JR and Derek Jeter above quite a few of the guys on that list. Baseball isn't all just about hitting. All around game Griffey and Jeter are right up there.

Jeter

.319 career avg

2830 hits

1100 RBIs

4x Gold Glove

5x WS Champ

11x Allstar in 14 seasons.

One of the most clutch playoff performers ever to play the game.

Of those on your list I went with Lou Gehrig, but I've always been more of a fan of players like Roberto Clemente. May not have had record-setting numbers, but performed consistently throughout his career.

.317 career batting average, 3000 hits, 440 doubles, 166 triples, 240 homeruns, 1305 RBI, 1416 runs, won 2 World Series, WS MVP, NL MVP, 15 time All Star, 12 Gold Gloves, 4 batting titles. He was still going strong after 18 seasons when he died in a plane crash rendering aid to earthquake victims in Nicaragua.

Craig Biggio, Tony Gwinn, and Kirby Puckett are all favorites of mine as well. They all gave it everything they had in each and every game they played.

Yea no way mark mcguire or sosa can be considered on that list cuz of steroids. The best offensive baseball player u didn't even include which is Ted Williams he won the triple crown twice, probably the best hitter of all-time, and lost a whole bunch of years in his prime to ww2.

Ken Griffey Jr. The only man to play the game' date=' the right way. None of his numbers were ever questioned, best ever[/quote']

best of his generation. he didn't hit a high enough average to be the best player ever though. Ruth, Gehrig, Williams all hit for average as well as power. but ya, he was my favorite player and he played the game exactly how a star player should.

best of his generation. he didn't hit a high enough average to be the best player ever though. Ruth' date=' Gehrig, Williams all hit for average as well as power. but ya, he was my favorite player and he played the game exactly how a star player should.[/quote']

Sadly, his retirement was overlooked by the perfect game contraversy. :(

Sadly' date=' his retirement was overlooked by the perfect game contraversy. :([/quote']

Ya, but he's first ballot HOF either way and he'll get his due for his career when that happens. Griffey was a class act. Not being a jerk like Bonds actually hurt him int he media too because a family man that isn't a distraction won't put you on ESPN every night.

Ken Griffey Jr. The only man to play the game' date=' the right way. None of his numbers were ever questioned, best ever[/quote']

JR. is probably one of the best. During the early stage of his career a lot of people mark him as better than Ruth. But after leaving Mariners, he kinna cool down a little bit.

Ya' date=' but he's first ballot HOF either way and he'll get his due for his career when that happens. Griffey was a class act. Not being a jerk like Bonds actually hurt him int he media too because a family man that isn't a distraction won't put you on ESPN every night.[/quote']

Definitely first ballot. I think he could've played as a DH in the AL and made a new milestone.

JR. is probably one of the best. During the early stage of his career a lot of people mark him as better than Ruth. But after leaving Mariners' date=' he kinna cool down a little bit.[/quote']

It was all the injuries that slowed him down. I thought he would've made it to 700 before retiring but oh well.

Definitely first ballot. I think he could've played as a DH in the AL and made a new milestone.

It was all the injuries that slowed him down. I thought he would've made it to 700 before retiring but oh well.

Before all the injuries he was EASILY going to shatter the home run record. He lost over 4-5 years of playing time due to injuries, at 30 homers per year for 4 years that's another extra 120 homeruns.

Who's your pick?

Majority of these guys are World Series winners' date=' so let's focus more on the individual achievements, here are some.

Cal Ripken needs also some special mention, when you talked about the guy, you talked about the word commitment. he's the Randy Couture of baseball.[/quote']

Where's Griffy JR? A great career just was unhealthy alot. But great player

Before all the injuries he was EASILY going to shatter the home run record. He lost over 4-5 years of playing time due to injuries' date=' at 30 homers per year for 4 years that's another extra 120 homeruns.[/quote']

Injuries are part of the game however, his injury took a lot out of him as well.

Griffy left about 120-150 home runs on the table, missing over 4 complete seasons worth of playing time in his prime, when he averaged over 40 home runs per season. Some injuries can be expected but he was hurt far more than the average guy. 630 home runs, with no steroids, in an era where all the pitchers were cheating too, and he should have had close to the record, by my calculations, means he was certainly a great. The best defensive player of his era as well. He was phenomenal. I still say, ruth though, because he was an amazing pitcher first, and then was the best hitter too. Gehrig had awfully good numbers too. As did ted williams. I won't mention the roid users, A rod and Barry, MacGwire, Sosa, etc. but Albert Pujols deserves mention too. he is the most consistently great player I've ever seen. Never below .300, never below 30 home runs, never below 100 RBI, and he's in his tenth season. He is statistically amazing. I would give a shout out to ichiro as well, because he may get 3000 hits in the majors by his career's end and he didn't get there until he was in his late twenties. If you count his japanese numbers he'd be close to Pete Rose when it's all said and done. And he is insanely good defensively as well.

Who's your pick?

Raffy, this thread fails because you left out Ted Williams. Stats wise one of the greatest of all time, and he missed 3 seasons of his prime (ages 25,26,and 27) fighting in WW2. Also the last man to bat .400.

unquestionably it's the Babe. You seem to forget that before he was the Yankee DH and the best statistical hitter in history(until Mr. Juice), he was the Ace pitcher in the Boston organization, had several no hitters, and the lowest ERA in the league several years running. And in a few of those seasons pitching, he was also the most productive pinch hitter in the league. When have you ever even heard of that? Your best pinch hitter is your best pitcher as well. Had he played in the National league there would be no doubt in any mind. Even only hitting every 3 games as was customary for NL pitchers at the time, he would have led the league in both hitting and pitching. That is completely unheard of and virtually impossible.

And the best answer to every question of if he played today..

Well if he played today, he would have the same access to the same modern training techniques as every other modern athlete, and if you combined that with his obvious natural gifts, he would be like Bonds, Pujols, Ichiro, Randy Johnson, and Mariano Rivera all in one package.

Raffy' date=' this thread fails because you left out Ted Williams. Stats wise one of the greatest of all time, and he missed 3 seasons of his prime (ages 25,26,and 27) fighting in WW2. Also the last man to bat .400.[/quote']

But his name is not that global or shall we say, he cannot be an icon like those guys I've listed. Those guys wre not just known for their stats but also very popular.

As a life long Braves fan' date=' I have to vote for ................Ty Cobb.[/quote']

As a life long Braves fan I had to go with Aaron. 755 with no juice is amazing, plus he was getting death threats for the last 50 or so. Ty Cobb was a racist, cheating, put a spike in your face ball of fun though. But more importantly he was a hell of a ball player!

But his name is not that global or shall we say' date=' he cannot be an icon like those guys I've listed. Those guys wre not just known for their stats but also very popular.[/quote']

I agree with most of this, as most people that aren't Red Sox fans or HUGE baseball fans don't know who Ted Williams is. But your poll was for greatest ever not most popular.

And of the ones you listed, gotta go with the Babe over all between HR power (even stole a lot of bases for a big guy) and his pitching stats before he became an everyday player.

As a life long Braves fan I had to go with Aaron. 755 with no juice is amazing' date=' plus he was getting death threats for the last 50 or so. Ty Cobb was a racist, cheating, put a spike in your face ball of fun though. But more importantly he was a hell of a ball player![/quote']

LOL, I never met Cobb, but I did see the movie. Plus, he is from Royston GA. I use to live up there.

Hey, I love Hank. I just think Cobb was better all around. Minus hitting home runs.

Who's your pick?

None of the above......William Mayes was the best player in the history of professional Baseball. He made the game exciting with stolen bases, great player on the field, Top 5 Homerun king, and an all out great human being.

Oh and jackie robinson wasnt the first Black Man to play in the majors believe it or not!!!

LOL' date=' I never met Cobb, but I did see the movie. Plus, he is from Royston GA. I use to live up there.

Hey, I love Hank. I just thiunk Cobb was better all around. Minus hitting home runs.[/quote']

Oh absolutely he was. Better batting average, more stolen bases, but I got to go with Hank because he had the fear of death coming at him and he just said **** it! Im breaking the record. And without steroids I really think that record would have never been broken.

None of the above......William Mayes was the best player in the history of professional Baseball. He made the game exciting with stolen bases' date=' great player on the field, Top 5 Homerun king, and an all out great human being.

Oh and jackie robinson wasnt the first Black Man to play in the majors believe it or not!!![/quote']

Just the first to have success.

None of the above......William Mayes was the best player in the history of professional Baseball. He made the game exciting with stolen bases' date=' great player on the field, Top 5 Homerun king, and an all out great human being.

Oh and jackie robinson [b']wasnt the first Black Man to play in the majors[/b] believe it or not!!!

History lesson please...

Oh absolutely he was. Better batting average' date=' more stolen bases, but I got to go with Hank because he had the fear of death coming at him and he just said **** it! Im breaking the record. And without steroids I really think that record would have never been broken.[/quote']

Understood. I have lived in Atlanta most of my life. I loves me some Hammerin Hank.

Well if we are talking ALL of professional baseball then it is Josh Gibson. They said he could field a ball in deep center and throw it to himself at the 2nd base cut off. Plus over 700 HRs in the ***** leagues. On the old barnstorming tours every white MLB pitcher knew and feared Josh Gibson more than any other player, including Ruth.

And the first black player in MLB was Larry Dobie with the Cleveland Indians, he had about a half season head start on Robinson to much less publicity.

Archived