Steven Segal trains Anderson Silva. video

BUDDHASPORT

Ack! One ego-maniac training another.

This could only be more horrible if Segal was giving him acting lessons....

And here the haters come.

Silva could train with God and people would still find a reason to hate.

It would be interesting to see someone apply some select techniques from traditional martial arts to the octagon. If anyone could do it' date=' it would be Anderson Silva. Certainly, not everything from the other arts is ineffective.[/quote']

Yeah. He was showing anderson stuff and kept asking if it was legal. Anderson kept responding yes. And just the excitement on Anderson's face when he is learning new techniques is cool to see. There is always room for improvement.

And here the haters come.

Silva could train with God and people would still find a reason to hate.

Nonsense. How many MMA fights does Segal have under his belt? It's like taking music lessons from a guy who played a musician on "Friends", instead of from an actual musician.

I don't hate Silva. He's incredibly talented. I used to respect the amount of respect he showed the art. Now I feel like he's believing his own press.

Someone who has the opposite opinion to yours isn't always hater. Any more than defending a fighter you support always makes you a nut-hugger.

Yeah. He was showing anderson stuff and kept asking if it was legal. Anderson kept responding yes. And just the excitement on Anderson's face when he is learning new techniques is cool to see. There is always room for improvement.

I agree, I don't think that these moves will be that effective against a wrestler, but you can def do that palm strike to the face to stuff a shot...

Nonsense. How many MMA fights does Segal have under his belt? It's like taking music lessons from a guy who played a musician on "Friends"' date=' instead of from an actual musician.[/quote']

Woah! Stop right there, kid.

How many MMA fights do Phil Nurse (Muai Thai), Freddie Roach (boxing), Greg Jackson (MMA), Cael Sanderson (wrestling) etc. have under their belts???

None.

Is it worth getting training from them?

DUH!!

Its not about how effective the stuff Segal is teaching SIlva.

its about bringing more, and diferent kinds of weapons to the octagon.

You all saw how long it took to sum1 to read machidas game.

Silva is training truly mma. bringing more and more styles of fighting... from capoeira... muay thai.. bjj and possibly he shows sumthing of aikido in his next fight.

lets just hope he goes there to fight.. not to showboat. Then we can see the A. SIlva we all like watching.

nice video but wtf is that gona do

There's a reason Segal kept asking him if it was a legal strike or not. A proper chop or blade strike to the neck can KO a dude. It could even rupture an artery and they could bleed to death internally. Given the high HR and blood pressure during a fight, that is even more likely if you blade strike the neck.

traditional martial arts stuff isn't just some fantasy hitting. The **** is dangerous if done properly. That was the whole reason martial was developed. To kill people in defense of yourself if your village was under attack.

Just because we see guys throw heavy hands like boxers and kickboxers, and it's effective, for some reason people think traditional martial arts techniques are ineffective. the reason we don;t see it is because nobody in MMA is actually good enough. Anderson is one of the few that could learn and apply the techniques properly. Machida is another who I could use this stuff effectively. They both follow the same method of fighting where they stand out of range and then explode in for a strike and get right back out. Other guys who just stand and deck eachother in the face are tough, but that' is not what martial arts traditonally is even about. It's a bout sustaining little damage and inflicting a huge amount (defending, even to the point of killing if necessary) in return.

Karate and other MA's teaches this stuff because it can actually work, not just because it looks cool in movies. It was around long before the movies. Things like punching and striking the throat are illegal in MMA because people would die. Also, groin kicks (illegal) and selective nerve targeting works as well. A hard strike in the nerve cluster under the armpit can temporarily paralyze an arm and permanently damage nerves.

My Sensei struck under my arm (because I was dubious of what he was telling me) after I threw a cross (he blocked and struck in the armpit) and it was limp for 3 hours. I've been hit hard before, but my arm was totally fwkked. It dangled like a noodle and I could barely clench a fist. I haven't doubted since then.

So, when you see some of this kind of stuff being worked on, don't be so ignorant and closed minded just because we don't see movie glamour type action scenes inside the octagon. I've hardly seen a 200lb guy capable of moving like a Shaolin Monk.

Real situation of a forehand blade strike right to the neck, just under the jaw line. Dude drops like a sack of bricks.

This is the striking area Segal is showing Anderson. It can really **** a guy up.

But no, it's fake and won't work for realzy...

LOL

Segal actually showed him alot of the same stuff that I was taught at the corrections academy in our DT class.

My father was the negotiator for the cell extraction team and part of the riot control.. They do show you guys some fun stuff.. He wooped my **** when I was like 13 and was a brown belt in karate lol

My father was the negotiator for the cell extraction team and part of the riot control.. They do show you guys some fun stuff.. He wooped my **** when I was like 13 and was a brown belt in karate lol

Well, skill level won't help if you're 13 and fighting an adult. It's like a poodle fighting a pitbull.

Teens, even if muscularly developed and highly skilled, are weak compared to fully grown men.

Some of you guys are far too in love with the magic of martial arts. The chops and stuff like that traditional martial arts teach aren't used in MMA not because the fighters "aren't skilled enough", but because the positions fighters are in relative to each other the majority of the time shuts down chops to vital area's and the intense physical training the fighters do decreases the effectiveness of many body blows that are close to lethal to a normal person. Almost none of us could be punched in the abs by Pat Berry and go have a good rest of the day. That punch alone would knock most of us out. But Cro Cop took several of them with seemingly no ill effect.

Chops are slower and less impactful than most boxing punches, require closer ranges, and require better balance. So, by enlarge, why would you throw a chop?

Some of you guys are far too in love with the magic of martial arts. The chops and stuff like that traditional martial arts teach aren't used in MMA not because the fighters "aren't skilled enough"' date=' but because the positions fighters are in relative to each other the majority of the time shuts down chops to vital area's and the intense physical training the fighters do decreases the effectiveness of many body blows that are close to lethal to a normal person. Almost none of us could be punched in the abs by Pat Berry and go have a good rest of the day. That punch alone would knock most of us out. But Cro Cop took several of them with seemingly no ill effect.

Chops are slower and less impactful than most boxing punches, require closer ranges, and require better balance. So, by enlarge, why would you throw a chop?[/quote']

Dim Mak..nuff said. :P

Guest [Deleted User]
It would be interesting to see someone apply some select techniques from traditional martial arts to the octagon. If anyone could do it' date=' it would be Anderson Silva. Certainly, not everything from the other arts is ineffective.[/quote']

UUUMM Lyoto?

Guest [Deleted User]

Silva might just replace the chop with an elbow. those takedowns looked really nice i hope he can actually utilize some of them. Sonnen has no idea whats coming for him

Archived