What does Machida need to work on?

Kristufa

To start, I have the utmost belief that Machida WILL own the LHW title again.

That said, the fight against Shogun (both times) showed that there are indeed holes in his game that he needs to work on.

For example, he was able to take Shogun down a few times, but unable to hold him down.

He was also unable to make adjustments in the first fight.

So what do you believe that he has to work on in order to be successful?

Refer to poll

He needs to not leave his chin wide open...

He always leans his head slightly back and it leaves him wide open for a KO

While I do agree to an extent, I believe he actually uses that more to bait the opponent into throwing a shot.

It's an invaluable weapon when it works... and horrible when it doesn't.

Heart, focus and drive.......he lacks all of these significantly. He will never be a longtime champion, and I don't think he'll ever get it back to be honest. Getting ruined by Gun like that has shattered his confidence.....wait for it, his career will fade.

I've been watching and hating Machida for years now, and seeing Shogun blast him was probably in my top 3 favourite MMA moments....

Heart' date=' focus and drive.......he lacks all of these significantly. He will never be a longtime champion, and I don't think he'll ever get it back to be honest. Getting ruined by Gun like that has shattered his confidence.....wait for it, his career will fade.

I've been watching and hating Machida for years now, and seeing Shogun blast him was probably in my top 3 favourite MMA moments....[/quote']

He lacks those?

I haven't seen him get hurt enough in order to gauge how much heart he has.

While I do agree that Shogun ruined his confidence, it's amazing what a convincing rebound win can do for someone.

Any logical reason you hate him?

Machida will never get that title back dude seriously you have to be joking, and i said it after the first fight and after the second. Machida showed too much respect, he didnt see Shogun as just another fighter, he saw him as Dangerous Shogun and payed for it. it was obvious he couldnt deal with pressure since he had never been in such position. Another thing we saw Machida didnt know how to react while being attacked, again i dont know if thats his hole or that was also because he was afraid of the great "shogun".

He lacks those?

While I do agree that Shogun ruined his confidence' date=' it's amazing what a convincing rebound win can do for someone.

Any logical reason you hate him?[/quote']

I can say this...i understand now, i was like exodus i tought i hated him but i dont...i actually hated his fans for thinking he was untouchable for what again? lol so thats why i couldent wait to see him getting ko and mostly by my fav fighter oat

Heart' date=' focus and drive.......he lacks all of these significantly. He will never be a longtime champion, and I don't think he'll ever get it back to be honest. Getting ruined by Gun like that has shattered his confidence.....wait for it, his career will fade.

I've been watching and hating Machida for years now, and seeing Shogun blast him was probably in my top 3 favourite MMA moments....[/quote']

I can tell you he doesnt lack focus. hes one of the most focused in the buss. he's just second to shogun thats why i voted that.

Machida will never get that title back dude seriously you have to be joking' date=' and i said it after the first fight and after the second. Machida showed too much respect, he didnt see Shogun as just another fighter, he saw him as Dangerous Shogun and payed for it. it was obvious he couldnt deal with pressure since he had never been in such position. Another thing we saw Machida didnt know how to react while being attacked, again i dont know if thats his hole or that was also because he was afraid of the great "shogun".[/quote']

You have to stop berating the opinions of others.

Just a suggestion.

He lacks those?

While I do agree that Shogun ruined his confidence' date=' it's amazing what a convincing rebound win can do for someone.

Any logical reason you hate him?[/quote']

He's a p*ssy man. He can't finish fights. 9 decisions in 17 fights. That's attrocious. He's had a few decent wins - Franklin, Thiago (although that was more from Silva being a moron), and Evans. Everything else is pure garbage. He's not even a good counter-striker. He's a backpeddlar. If he was an offensive counter-figher, I might respect him more....instead, he hides behind some BS system called Machida Karate....which is nothing more than regular karate.

He went to decision against Sam Hoger and Heath.....lol. He's got no real ability to finish fights, as indicated by his 9 decisions.

A 191 Penn almost schooled him, and many felt actually should have won that fight.

Machida's entire career, you can see he is actually afraid of getting punched in the face. He's made some of the most comical expressions I've ever seen.....

Plus he drinks piss.

I know, I'm harsh. But Machida has been on my most disliked fighters list for years, even before the UFC.

I give him props for somehow going 16 without losing.....but many of those wins were just junk.

I can say this...i understand now' date=' i was like exodus i tought i hated him but i dont...i actually hated his fans for thinking he was untouchable for what again? lol so thats why i couldent wait to see him getting ko and mostly by my fav fighter oat[/quote']

Dunno about you, but I've disliked the guy since I saw him fight Greco.....I've always thought he was the epitome of p*ssy in the ring/cage.....

He's a p*ssy man. He can't finish fights. 9 decisions in 17 fights. That's attrocious. He's had a few decent wins - Franklin' date=' Thiago (although that was more from Silva being a moron), and Evans. Everything else is pure garbage. He's not even a good counter-striker. He's a backpeddlar. If he was an offensive counter-figher, I might respect him more....instead, he hides behind some BS system called Machida Karate....which is nothing more than regular karate.

He went to decision against Sam Hoger and Heath.....lol. He's got no real ability to finish fights, as indicated by his 9 decisions.

A 191 Penn almost schooled him, and many felt actually should have won that fight.

Machida's entire career, you can see he is actually afraid of getting punched in the face. He's made some of the most comical expressions I've ever seen.....

Plus he drinks piss.

I know, I'm harsh. But Machida has been on my most disliked fighters list for years, even before the UFC.

I give him props for somehow going 16 without losing.....but many of those wins were just junk.[/quote']

Ahhh, matter of taste then.

Some call it being a ****, others call it playing smart.

I think the main reason I've liked him was due to the Rich Frankling fight, and the fact that I'm relatively light. The fact that someone at 205 moves like he does

I can empathize with his style, because even in sparring sessions the only shots I would throw standing would be power shots that I knew would hit. I was always defensive, and I guess that's what attracted me to watching him (although yes, he is boring). Karate for 2 years as well (although I was never really good at THAT) also got me in the mindset of not getting hit.

Well anyways, that story was unnecessary.

To each their own lol

Good GAHD at all the SHOGUN **** lickers I mean I like Shogun and I like Machida just alittle more. But it's funny how people say SHOGUN solved the puzzle I hate to say this and maybe this wouldnt have mattered but Shogun trained with Machida he said so after the second fight on mma live. I mean I think it would have been a different fight it they have never trained with each other but, maybe not. But everybody is acting like Machida wasnt a true champion but look at who he has beat before just because he got beat by Shogun he is no good anymore come on people we have seen people lose like this and come back from it before. But hey no excuses Shogun beat Machida but, remember no excuses and Shogun got beat by Forrest Griffin. Don't get me wrong I like Forrest but come on. No excuses about Shogun either because he was injured the second time when he fought Machida the second time so I don't want to hear it in the Griffin fight.

Machida needs to work on ground and pound. When I wrestle with my 6 year old daughter, she can deliver some vicious ground and pound. Machida couldn't hurt a fly while on the ground. If he can take his game to the next level and learn some ground and pound, he would be even more dominating.

Machida is one of those fighters that fairs well with the majority of fighters but when it comes to a certain style, he just ends up folding. I would like Machida to invest the next two years in learning some effective ground and pound. His stand up is good. There is not a whole lot of fighters who can chase him down like Shogun. Most fighters would not do that but Shogun came in with a perfect game plan and chased Machida down and forced him to fight a brawl. I hate to say this to Shogun fans but that tactic was do or die and Machida could have won that fight just as easily as Shogun did.

The only thing I hate about Machida is the fact he cannot throw bombs. His punches are weak. He does not know how to put his body into those punches. His knock out of Rashad was due to an accumulation of punches. If you know anything about effective punches, you'll know Machida cannot throw bombs. I can hit harder than Machida. I weigh about 155 lbs to be exact but I assure you my 155 lb frame can deliver more torque and power than Machida's.

Being able to punch hard is something you cannot really learn I'm afraid. You can improve it somewhat but ultimately the ability is in your body and coordination. I happen to have a very good vertical leap as well when I was much younger. I took some time to teach others how to utilize their feet, muscles and momentum to gather the most force possible for a take off....but sadly some people are not coordinated the same way.

Punching is the same way... you can improve the speed and the power, but the coordination is what delivers the most impact. I can punch just as hard as any 175 lb man. Contrary to what people believe, it is not muscles that delivers the knock out blow, it is the coordination delivered effectively by punching or kicking from the body and not the limbs. All power punches and kicks come from the legs and torso. Machida does arm punches which has no real power ....Shogun knew this and chased him down.

This is the reason Machida fights the way he does. Some people do not know how to throw bombs. After decades of studying Karate, the ability to throw bombs will have been dormant even more-so than before the karate lessons began.

I rambled on long enough..

Stop being a wimp and allow himself to get punched in the face more for our entertainment.

Seriously I don't see how you can give a guy grief for doing his best to avoid getting punched in the head. Maybe different strokes for different folks but one thing I learn young is that getting hit in the head sucks so its best to avoid it. And if someone can perfect a fighting style that has all damage going the other way it is the style I want to master.

You can't make a career on the strenth of your chin and I see a long career for Machida.

And as the guy above me said more power in his punches but I don't expect to see it from him.

Dunno about you' date=' but I've disliked the guy since I saw him fight Greco.....I've always thought he was the epitome of p*ssy in the ring/cage.....[/quote']

i dont think i'll dislike a fighter because of how he fights...i just wont watch his fights. but knowing the guy is garbage and hasnt proven anything and seeing so many noobs talking about him all of a sudden as if he was god is what pisses me off. just like jds, and he will get beaten by Roy..

i dont think i'll dislike a fighter because of how he fights...i just wont watch his fights. but knowing the guy is garbage and hasnt proven anything and seeing so many noobs talking about him all of a sudden as if he was god is what pisses me off. just like jds' date=' and he will get beaten by Roy..[/quote']

JDS hasn't beaten anyone?

To start' date=' I have the utmost belief that Machida WILL own the LHW title again.

That said, the fight against Shogun (both times) showed that there are indeed holes in his game that he needs to work on.

For example, he was able to take Shogun down a few times, but unable to hold him down.

Refer to poll[/quote']

I don't think Machida will beat Shogun again, BUT, I think if he gets "a better gameplan" he will contest him for more than the first round. :P

But seriously, he will be a powerful number 2 if he just developes a better gameplan. He needs to use what he's got, because that is undeniably amazing, but he needs to use his jits and his subs more... He needs to maybe even put a little boxing in to his plan.

Machida will get the title back if he learns from his loss... absolutely no doubt...

Honestly, while he could put more power behind his punches, he's deadly fast and accurate with his punches that it makes up for it...

As for his loss to Shogun, I think it was more because he let the people get to him, and it became about defending his honor rather than defending his title... by getting aggressive and being too eager for a KKO, he was playing Rua's game, and he payed...

Rather than becoming aggressive he should have kept the same gameplan he's always had, but improved his Muay Thai (which Anderson should be more than adequate for)... I think if Machida threw a leg kick when he was in range rather than letting Rua beat him to the punch, he would have frustrated Rua into playing his game and then would have peppered him with punches and kicks like he did to Rashad...

With all that said, I voted Subs and Top Control... because his striking is undeniably great and more than suffices... the reason for voting that way was because in the 2nd fight with Rua, he was able to score good takedowns to disrupt Rua's leg kicks, but was unable to keep him down or do anything on the ground when he had him there... if he was willing to spend some time at Greg Jackson's to improve this he could be a killer easy...

To start' date=' I have the utmost belief that Machida WILL own the LHW title again.

Refer to poll[/quote']

I dunno how many holes there are really, imo he was winning the second fight until he got caught behind the head. If anything maybe tone down the aggression. I think he felt he had something to prove and tried to hard to get the ko.

Two things I see:

1. His training looks antiquated which is probably the main cause of the lack of power in

his punches when he's out of his stance/ attack.

And,

2. His aristocratic, Samurai Warrior aire that may prevent him from holding to the reality

that he may need to rework his training if he is to regain the belt.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else will be able to handle him the way Shogun did.

he needs to improve his boxing ability in the pocket...he relies only on darting in and out, if he added good head movement while in the pocket he wouldn't have to rely on only darting...

but then again, who I am to say what he needs to do? lol...

I voted for top control BJJ. He's allready a very good counter striker and should probably stick with that. Right now he's too predictable though. if he worked on his takedowns and subs from the top he would be more unpredictable and dangerous.

He needs to work on not getting caught up in the hype of a fight like he did against Shogun. He did good enough to win the first fight as we saw...win or lose. In the second they were fighting pretty evenly up til he got ko'ed. However, he got overly agressive and got counter punched into the canvas and got beat at his own game. Lyoto should have stuck to his guns and had a war with Shogun again. He was checking kicks this time like no ones business and could have easily gone a 5 round war again. Then won, again. Instead he got caught up in the hype that he needed to finish Shogun off this time to prove his win wasn't a fluke. He went outside of what he does best and BAM gto ko'ed for his trouble. On the flip side though, I trust Lyoto will learn from this mistake and come back stronger. He's still at the top of the heap. I think we may see a Machida/Shogun 3, assuming of course Shogun doesn't lose til then.

I dunno how many holes there are really' date=' imo he was winning the second fight until he got caught behind the head. If anything maybe tone down the aggression. I think he felt he had something to prove and tried to hard to get the ko.[/quote']

lmao over 2 thou posts and this one might be the most stupid one youve made. hit behind the head? tone down the agression? wtf are you talking about he ran away from shogun everytime...always hitting the fence runnin like a ***** and he was agressive yous say stfu.

Yet another vote for wrestling with a 2nd for top control. He took Shogun down quite easily, but didn't do anything from there. I think he was winning the round until the brutal KO.

Then again, Chuck Liddell took down Shogun with ease as well. Of course Chuck let him back up and wanted to head hunt as usual until... BOOM! Headshot. Chuck knocked out cold, again.

Go fvkk yourself.

lets start with better off his back fighting because hugging shoguns waist was not smart at all which resulted in his demise..

second alot better guard when striking.. as i seen someone say before he leaves his head so wide open someone with power strikes just needs one chance to catch it..

third maybe some professionalism shake the guys hand, show respect not run out like a poor sport.. REFER TO SIG!!..lol

he was too agrressive, he threw too many punches the good machida fights 'boring'. he was lookin for the ko too much nd he missed nd got countered. he just needs to use more kicks nd really wait for the oppurtunity to throw the punch he was just forcing it in the 2 shogun fights

Archived