James McSweeny... did he get robbed?

MMAPhoenix

So, I have no clue if this has been talked about or not but here is my question to my fellow forum goers.

During the fight, McSweeny was hit with some great elbow shots... and one very, very, damaging one. It opened up a gash that bled profusely. Thing about that shot, it was illegal. It opened a huge gash on the back of McSweeny's head and rocked him while on the ground. It was a shot to the head in which no penalty was given, or warning, nor was any time taken out for what was seen after the blow was an obvious illegal shot that had hit one of the primary "no-no" areas in the sport.

I don't know, maybe I'm the only one who sees this as wrong, but I wanted to get your insights. What do you guys and gals think?

So' date=' I have no clue if this has been talked about or not but here is my question to my fellow forum goers.

During the fight, McSweeny was hit with some great elbow shots... and one very, very, damaging one. It opened up a gash that bled profusely. Thing about that shot, it was illegal. It opened a huge gash on the back of McSweeny's head and rocked him while on the ground. It was a shot to the head in which no penalty was given, or warning, nor was any time taken out for what was seen after the blow was an obvious illegal shot that had hit one of the primary "no-no" areas in the sport.

I don't know, maybe I'm the only one who sees this as wrong, but I wanted to get your insights. What do you guys and gals think?[/quote']

Im just happy that he got his a** whipped.

So' date=' I have no clue if this has been talked about or not but here is my question to my fellow forum goers.

I don't know, maybe I'm the only one who sees this as wrong, but I wanted to get your insights. What do you guys and gals think?[/quote']

Mcsweeny got his **** kicked and i hope he never fights in the ufc again he sucks.

Right... but that doesn't answer the questions guys... (save 1 of you).

Actual participating comments would be appreciated. I understand there are people that don't like him (myself included)' date=' but none of those comments further the topic.[/quote']

The cut wasnt on the back of his head.

The cut wasnt on the back of his head.

It appeared to be on the back of his head, or certainly on a part of the head that it is illegal to strike. I would have liked the ref to stop the fight, stand them up, give McSweeney the full five minutes to recover, then have Browne knock the sense out of him again!

The cut made it look like it was an illegal strike, but it was close. I was a little surprised that the ref didn't give him a warning. I don't think it required a point deduction, but a warning would have been warranted IMO. It seemed like the ref didn't see the strike, but saw the cut in an illegal area but didn't know if he could make a late call.

The fatc that they want the loss overturned is complete crap. The cut didnt really have anything to do with McSweeny loseing. Even if the ref would have stopped the fight for that it would have resulted in a warning or point deduction, which really wouldnt have effected the out come of the fight. Mcsweeney lost the fight because he was out matched, not because of the cut. So the loss should stand.

I think that it wasn't a foul because Mcsweeny was moving his head around.

This

A strike to the back of the head should only cause the ref to stop the fight if it was intentional. If one fighter is just landing strikes and the other is moving and twisting his head around, then unintentional strikes are gonna happen. We saw it in the Yager vs Attonito fight.

I hope hes out of the UFC now. McSweeney is such a prick.

However I agree it did look illegal to me and it doesn't have to be intentional for there to be a rest period/point deductions. Just look at Hamill vs Jardine, the eye poke was clearly unintentional and they deducted a point from Jardine in which the reasoning was that damage was inflicted. McSweeney was bleeding and damage was inflicted so it could have been grounds for them being stood back up and a rest period for McSweeney to recover.

Lame. The photo indicates that the cause of the cut was not illegal, espeically considering McSweeny's head movement. Not only should the loss stand, but McSweeny should stand against a wall while self-respecting MMA fighters chuck full cans of beer at him. To petition the loss be reversed is a lame, whiner move.

I think he was robbed to an extent...I could see it as a draw...however he ran alot and didn't pressure. He was the better counter puncher, but sometimes when you do it backing up or running around the ring it looks like weakness or that you're being dominated. Which it very well could have been and thus the judges decision.

There seems to be this popular belief that McSweeny is some super talented dude that is just the sh*t and unstoppable. The times I've seen him fight he was lackluster and flopped around alot. Maybe it's his footwork but he seems to trip or slide around very clumbsily.

I know Dana seemed to like him on TUF and was all up in his crotch, about how good he is...but I still say he failed to impress. So eventhough his loss surprised me to a certain extent I can absolutely see why he lost and it's his own fault.

I doubt the ref saw the elbow that caused the strike to the back of the head and reffing in most sports wont let you make a call more than 12 seconds after the foul. I honestly don't think that cut made a very big difference in the fight and he would have lost anyway. McSweeny just needs to take his **** whooping like a man and move on.

Archived