Couture vs Toney

Acedaddy

Another dumb thread no offense but why is this a thread Toney FTW

Another dumb remark as well. I just want to see how many people think Toney will win. If you don't like the thread, why take the time to view it & comment ****? most people would just look at it & move on.

I'm picking Toney by UPSET of the year. I think out of all the times someone has had a punchers chance he has the best punchers chance. BTW is this catch or HW Because I heard Toney isn't fighting LHW.

thats a way to think outside the box. i agree though could be the upset of the year. who knows toney might have natural skills when it comes to defense takedowns.

This fight is stupid....it should never have been allowed by the athletic commision- how can a guy whos held the belt more times than any other (prob the UFC fighter with the most experience/octogon knowledge) fight a guy who has never faught before???

That being said Toney will hit ALOT harder and have far far far better hands than anyone ever to enter the UFC so if he catches Randy with those little gloves he could do some real damage....dont se that happening though- Randy GnP

Will Couture's wrestling & clinching be too much for Toney?

Talk about trial by fire for Toney.

Let?s hope Randy's 14+ years of experience in MMA will give him the edge in this one and that he's game plan is to get in quickly for the clinch and take Toney down for the GNP.

The last thing we need is more ranting from Mayweather on how boxing is so much better than MMA, so do us and the sport of MMA proud Randy.

I'm picking Toney by UPSET of the year. I think out of all the times someone has had a punchers chance he has the best punchers chance. BTW is this catch or HW Because I heard Toney isn't fighting LHW.

I agree with the Toney will catch Couture. His hands will be deadly with those little gloves, but common the upset of the year will be when Roy Nelson KO's Dos Santos...

i think this fight is pretty much pointless. It's going to prove nothing....there are too many excuses either fighter can use if they lose. This boxing v mma crap shouldn't be happening. MMA should do it's own thing and let boxing do theirs. Is mma in such a poor state that it needs to sign over the hill boxers just to get a little attention? i think not so i dont see the need for this.

i think this fight is pretty much pointless. It's going to prove nothing....there are too many excuses either fighter can use if they lose. This boxing v mma crap shouldn't be happening. MMA should do it's own thing and let boxing do theirs. Is mma in such a poor state that it needs to sign over the hill boxers just to get a little attention? i think not so i dont see the need for this.

Toney wanted this. It's Toney that's desperate, not vice versa. Boxers are trying to prove themselves, not the other way around.

Toney wanted this. It's Toney that's desperate' date=' not vice versa. Boxers are trying to prove themselves, not the other way around.[/quote']

lol dana was pretty quick with the pen tho, my view is set and this fight is rediculous, whether toney wanted it or not dana should have just said no. Is randy's career that low at the minute that he has to fight an ex boxer that is now a bum? if randy wins then so what..toneys a bum. If randy loses...oh dear he lost to a bum that doesnt even do mma. If toney loses...well inexperience of mma, or just being too old. If toney wins...it wont kick start an mma career that's for sure. so what is the point of this?

lol dana was pretty quick with the pen tho' date=' my view is set and this fight is rediculous, whether toney wanted it or not dana should have just said no. Is randy's career that low at the minute that he has to fight an ex boxer that is now a bum? if randy wins then so what..toneys a bum. If randy loses...oh dear he lost to a bum that doesnt even do mma. If toney loses...well inexperience of mma, or just being too old. If toney wins...it wont kick start an mma career that's for sure. so what is the point of this?[/quote']

Toney wanted the fight, and he got. Toney loves to talk trash, and he is funny sometimes, but now he has to back it up. Bringing in boxers isn't a horrible idea. It's just for show.

From what i heard Toney kept pressuring Dana to get him in the UFC. On youtube they have a video of toney hounding dana and Mr. White actually looked intimidated by the guy. Its also a chance for the UFC to gain more Boxing fans, and who knows, maybe toney will be impressive, but i see Randy taking him down and GnP til the end

Toney wanted the fight' date=' and he got. Toney loves to talk trash, and he is funny sometimes, but now he has to back it up. Bringing in boxers isn't a horrible idea. It's just for show.[/quote']

so if i mouth off and ask to fight brock...can i?? can i?? please. Its a silly match that any serious mma fan isnt interested in...like i am not.

From what i heard Toney kept pressuring Dana to get him in the UFC. On youtube they have a video of toney hounding dana and Mr. White actually looked intimidated by the guy. Its also a chance for the UFC to gain more Boxing fans' date=' and who knows, maybe toney will be impressive, but i see Randy taking him down and GnP til the end[/quote']

the ufc will gain no boxing fans from this lol.

If you're a former MW & HW champion boxer you can. Toney is a big name in the boxing world.

trust me i know who toney is, i love boxing more than mma. Ali is a former champ so could he get a shot? toney has had his day in boxing and then the ufc sign him....kinda makes the ufc look like a joke

trust me i know who toney is' date=' i love boxing more than mma. Ali is a former champ so could he get a shot? toney has had his day in boxing and then the ufc sign him....kinda makes the ufc look like a joke[/quote']

It doesn't make the UFC look bad at all. A big mouth boxer comes in and if gets detroyed, he has nothing more to say. Maybe it will spark other boxers to try even younger.

It doesn't make the UFC look bad at all. A big mouth boxer comes in and if gets detroyed' date=' he has nothing more to say. Maybe it will spark other boxers to try even younger.[/quote']

and what does it say for the ufc if an over the hill boxer comes in and KO's randy? The only boxers that will transistion from boxing to mma are the ones that have a very limited future in boxing due to a lack of skill. It makes the ufc look like a circus, it should be a more serious sport cos this is all being like a pro wrestling type promotion....i'm waiting for them to announce a celeb guest ref or something. I hate it that the ufc are doing this. if mma tries to take on boxing at the minute as a sport them mma will lose badly.

and what does it say for the ufc if an over the hill boxer comes in and KO's randy? The only boxers that will transistion from boxing to mma are the ones that have a very limited future in boxing due to a lack of skill. It makes the ufc look like a circus' date=' it should be a more serious sport cos this is all being like a pro wrestling type promotion....i'm waiting for them to announce a celeb guest ref or something. I hate it that the ufc are doing this. if mma tries to take on boxing at the minute as a sport them mma will lose badly.[/quote']

Boxing is like a Pro wrestling promotion too. Pro wrestling is great at promoting iotself and its wrestlers. A lot of fans, including myself, actually want to see this fight. MMA is growing very fast, and boxing I struggling to develop new big names. UFC is doing fine.

Boxing is like a Pro wrestling promotion too. Pro wrestling is great at promoting iotself and its wrestlers. A lot of fans' date=' including myself, actually want to see this fight. MMA is growing very fast, and boxing I struggling to develop new big names. UFC is doing fine.[/quote']

yep the ufc is doing fine, but boxing is far bigger. Also people that say boxing is struggling are just too pro mma....or pro ufc i should say....as we all know there is a huge difference between mma fans and lots of ufc fanboys. Pro wrestling is great at self promotion granted, the problem with the ufc is that its supposed to be serious. What true mma fan is really interested in this 'gimick' match up? not real mma fans....just wwe fans that want something a little more grown up and its starting to ruin it.

yep the ufc is doing fine' date=' but boxing is far bigger. Also people that say boxing is struggling are just too pro mma....or pro ufc i should say....as we all know there is a huge difference between mma fans and lots of ufc fanboys. Pro wrestling is great at self promotion granted, the problem with the ufc is that its supposed to be serious. What true mma fan is really interested in this 'gimick' match up? not real mma fans....just wwe fans that want something a little more grown up and its starting to ruin it.[/quote']

Every fight should have a back story. The WWE formula has worked forever. Brock vs Mir, Ali vs Frazier, Tyson in general. It always works. And I wouldn't say boxing is far bigger. Annually UFC sells more PPV's, and unlike boxing, the numbers are growing. I'm done for today, we can debate this some other time. Have a good one.

Every fight should have a back story. The WWE formula has worked forever. Brock vs Mir' date=' Ali vs Frazier, Tyson in general. It always works. And I wouldn't say boxing is far bigger. Annually UFC sells more PPV's, and unlike boxing, the numbers are growing. I'm done for today, we can debate this some other time. Have a good one.[/quote']

fighters that are in good fights with other good fighters....not an over the hill boxer vs an over glorified mma wrestler. You need to check your numbers globally and not just for the usa.

First off there is NO WAY Couture will lose this. He might not be at the top anymore, but he's a tremendous talent and fights smart. I see less then 1 min standing, leg kicks to keep him at range, feint, clinch and take down, then its over.

Second, yes it might seem a bit like a circus, but the fact is UFC wants to make money, and for MMA to grow you have to expand the viewers beyond its current fan base. To do that you have to use gimmicks like this.

I talk about UFC at work and most them don't know one fighter from the next, but they all know who Brock is, and wanna watch his fight. Sad to hear as an MMA fan, but at least it gets their foot in the door.

It might seem cheap, but flashy names work for our cause.

i bet toney wins this one by KO or TKO. randy coutures takedowns will be a problem but what i think you all dont know about toney is thats he is the best dirty boxer right now. thats exactly what couture does to. randy gonna come in and ty and grab that single collar tie and toneys gunna slip and pop him in the dome and randy chin might not be able to take it.

if you dont believe me watch a james toney fight.

Another dumb remark as well. I just want to see how many people think Toney will win. If you don't like the thread' date=' why take the time to view it & comment ****? most people would just look at it & move on.[/quote']

You cant just get good reviews for your posts can you.You going to make a private massage now and post it on the forum,like you did with me for commenting on your post.If you cant take any negative feed back then dont any more freads.Your sick in the head for doing that

There is no way in hell Toney comes anywhere near winning this fight. He's out of shape, inexperienced, overconfident, disrespectful, and stupid.

We have already seen how really good, one-dimensional strikers (Hardy and Daley) got OWNED by well-rounded vets... Sure Toney is a better boxer then them... but he is MUCHHHHHH WORSE at every other aspect of the game...

I'm assuming his sprawl is non-existent, he will be on his back in two seconds, and Randy will pound his face through the mat

In today's UFC I always lean toward the wrestler having an advantage especially a good wrestler which Couture is far and beyond being just a good wrestler. Toney is just starting his MMA career. He can be as good at boxing as it gets but that's not good enough and likely will never be for Toney to be successful in the UFC especially in this fight. Couture 80/20.

BTW all, there is no early money line for this fight. That usually means that either

a.) there will be no money line at all for this fight because it's a virtual certainty that Couture will win and the books don't want action

or

b.) it will go off at greater that Randy +1500. That's $1,500 to win ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS.

The books know a mismatch when they see it...

a +1500 money line fighter doesn't have "a puncher's chance" to win a fight. These are the kind of odds you see when USC plays Southwestern Alaska Online Business School in football...

Archived