UFC fighters don't get paid enough?

Inferno33

I have been noticing a bunch of new threads opening everyday about the UFC fighters not getting paid enough. In my opinion they get paid just fine. The thing that no one seems to understand is that fighters get a ton of cash from sponsorships just for being in the UFC.

EX: fighters being sponsored by TAPOUT or different energy drinks or proteins. Or even fighters like GSP who gets massive sponsorships like Under Armour. The fact is the UFC contract is a set pay of what they automatically make just by fighting. They make more money from sponsorships and stuff so they dont need to worry about the "low" contract. If they leave the UFC complaining about low pay then they will lose their sponsorships and then lose even more money. So in my opinion they get paid just fine.

If your a guy like Lesnar who brings in a massive crowd to his PPV events of course hes going to get paid more. the higher your rank/your PPV draw = better pay.

UFC fighters get paid well, and what I like about it is that their not like huge rich egotistical ***** like lebron james and many other professional sports players out there. It's like their billionaires, or even millionaires, their getting paid to do what they do best, and it's awesome in my opinion, especially when they get that bonus for fight of the night and ****.

When Mayweather is getting $43,000,000 bills per fight, i think UFC could come up with some better $ for some of these guys.

If you get 1 million PPV hits, at 45 bucks a pop, that's 45 million per fight, plus tickets sales which is probably another 3 million dollars seeing as they charge disgusting prices for tickets. Advertising dollars they get through the network for hosting and advertising sponsors, etc.

Let's say 50 million bucks comes in on a good night.

They pay staff, security, buliding rental, etc costs can't be more than 3 or 4 million dollars.

So, when it's all said and done (and let's assume my figures are ignorant) and 30 million (60%) dollars goes to the UFC, I think some of these guys who get fvkked up and get paid $30k is ****ing ********.

Carwin is in a title fight and is getting paid less than 10% of what Brock is.

Dana whites a rich mother****er. That's all I can say.

id say the middle ranked ufc fighter makes anywhere from 12-15 bucks a fight to show up!.. win is doubled then. and then of course the awards add a nice bonus as well..

the ufc top dogs make easily from 80,000 + some guys have been noted to make 100,000 a fight.. add the win. possibly an award bonus, and all the sponsers those guys are racking in the money..

of course if you live lavish yeah you dont make much.. idk about you guys but making just 50,000 a fight with sponsers ill be swell :P

Dude, the fighters aren't getting over paid, that's how every player in every sport should be getting paid, stop with this ****ing 038590348506345893405049 million dollar **** and start paying people reasonable prices. Do you really think every professional sports player should be millionaire? No. They're regular guys like us, they just made it and know how to fight. Trust me, i'm also a fighter and I still think it's fair for what theyre getting paid. They got money bro. Trust me.

One thing I have always been curious about is travel. Does the UFC pay the airfare' date=' hotels and a per diem for the fighter and his corner staff?[/quote']

i do believe ive heard they pay for travel and medical..

you just have to handle your travel arrangements.. visas and shish

When Mayweather is getting $43' date='000,000 bills per fight, i think UFC could come up with some better $ for some of these guys.

If you get 1 million PPV hits, at 45 bucks a pop, that's 45 million per fight, plus tickets sales which is probably another 3 million dollars seeing as they charge disgusting prices for tickets. Advertising dollars they get through the network for hosting and advertising sponsors, etc.

They pay staff, security, buliding rental, etc costs can't be more than 3 or 4 million dollars.

So, when it's all said and done (and let's assume my figures are ignorant) and 30 million (60%) dollars goes to the UFC, I think some of these guys who get fvkked up and get paid $30k is ****ing ********.

Dana whites a rich mother****er. That's all I can say.[/quote']

This is the number 1 reason why you guy are so wrong in calculating what the UFC makes in revenues. You honestly have NO idea what the UFC both makes and pays out in expenses.

First of all, the UFC collects only about 40% of PPV revenue, so right off the bat reduce your figures by 60% and we'll talk. Haw many people realize that for the Vancouver event allone, the UFC was forced to carry $12 million in insurance alone?

Do you realize that the UFC produces it's entire broadcasts on it' own? It covers the cost of the transportation of the trucks, the crew to set up take down, the cost of building rental for 3-4 days, airfares for the entire staff and fighters, hotel costs, per diems, insurance, marketing, Commission spits, and on and on and on.

When you get a clue and realize just what it costs to put on a show, come back and we'll talk...

of course if you live lavish yeah you dont make much.. idk about you guys but making just 50' date='000 a fight with sponsers ill be swell :P[/quote']

You'll be swell for maybe a year. Keep in mind, that a fighter needs to constantly pay for training and medical. Also remember, that most of these guys will have to stop competing by the age of 40. Some of them will never have learned anything but fighting and will effectively have to live from what they have learned for the rest of their lives unless they're huge stars that get commentator-gigs and continue to draw sponsors / movie roles etc. Also, some are so broken down from their fight careers they will have increased medical costs for the rest of their lives.

50k is probably an ok number if you can fight twice a year or more. But most lower-tier guys don't get that. Many not even half of it (without a bonus).

You'll be swell for maybe a year. Keep in mind' date=' that a fighter needs to constantly pay for training and medical. Also remember, that most of these guys will have to stop competing by the age of 40. Some of them will never have learned anything but fighting and will effectively have to live from what they have learned for the rest of their lives unless they're huge stars that get commentator-gigs and continue to draw sponsors / movie roles etc. Also, some are so broken down from their fight careers they will have increased medical costs for the rest of their lives.

50k is probably an ok number if you can fight twice a year or more. But most lower-tier guys don't get that. Many not even half of it (without a bonus).[/quote']

that i do know.. i do know my numbers to be some what correct since i just peeped saturdays numbers.. keith made 55.000 for showing.. if he had won it would have been a good pay day.. plus the bonus for FOTN..

and the lower tier guys some made from 5-8 thousand.. i would say for up and comers thats a start. but to live off thats extremely rough.

i can see now why some top fighters still fight and have jobs.

that i do know.. i do know my numbers to be some what correct since i just peeped saturdays numbers.. keith made 55.000 for showing.. if he had won it would have been a good pay day.. plus the bonus for FOTN..

and the lower tier guys some made from 5-8 thousand.. i would say for up and comers thats a start. but to live off thats extremely rough.

i can see now why some top fighters still fight and have jobs.

Keep in mind 90% of the undercard and early main card fights were guys from the season of TUF. They are fighting for much more than that particular payday but a chance to prove themselves, showcase what they have and land a couple fight contract.

Take a mid tier guy that fights 3x a year. Say he's at 20K to show +20K to win. If he wins 2 out of 3. That 100K a year (before taxes) + any bonus he may get for Fight,KO or Sub of the night + any sponsorship $$ or appearance $$. That's not a bad living by any stretch.

Keep in mind 90% of the undercard and early main card fights were guys from the season of TUF. They are fighting for much more than that particular payday but a chance to prove themselves' date=' showcase what they have and land a couple fight contract.

Take a mid tier guy that fights 3x a year. Say he's at 20K to show +20K to win. If he wins 2 out of 3. That 100K a year (before taxes) + any bonus he may get for Fight,KO or Sub of the night + any sponsorship $$ or appearance $$. That's not a bad living by any stretch.[/quote']

exactly.. if i were an in-between guy id be trying to fight 3 to 4 times a yr...making 50k a fight. plus whatever u achieve in those fights + sponsor's. once your a big name lets say gsp.. you don't need to do but one fight a yr.. that guy banks easily.. :\

Dude' date=' the fighters aren't getting over paid, that's how every player in every sport should be getting paid, stop with this ****ing 038590348506345893405049 million dollar **** and start paying people reasonable prices. Do you really think every professional sports player should be millionaire? No. They're regular guys like us, they just made it and know how to fight. Trust me, i'm also a fighter and I still think it's fair for what theyre getting paid. They got money bro. Trust me.[/quote']

Wow, you are a CEOs wet dream. If everyone thought like you, man, most of the money would rest in the hands of 1% of the people that live in the country. Oh wait, most money does reside in the hands of only 1% of people (the rich elite). Goes to show that the ruling elite are doing a bang up job at fooling certain people, when you see post like this encouraging the rich owners of the UFC to keep essentially screwing over fighters of the UFC.

Well, anyway, the point is... What, you are suggesting that the owners of the UFC keep practically all the money earned during each event and not distribute it to those who are actually putting on the show destroying their bodies, and hence, in my mind, should be the ones keeping most of the cash? Huh, yeah, that sounds like that is exactly what you are saying. Damn dude have at it! Go turn your brain into mush, and ruin your joints, and fight for practically nothing when compared to the total revenues.... Fighting orgainizations would love to bring you into their organizations, especially if you are an awesome fighter who doesn't demand much cash because, hey you are getting paid enough.

In boxing its usually one to 3 fights that night... in the UFC theres usually 6 to 7 main card fights plus about 4 to 5 unaired fights.. it would get pretty expensive to pay millions of dollars to 20+ fighters every ppv. If thats the case, dana will read this and try to make you happy by paying them more money, and in turn he will only give you 3 fights. HAHAHA, if that happend I guarantee you would ***** that the fighters need to make minimum wage.

I have been noticing a bunch of new threads opening everyday about the UFC fighters not getting paid enough. In my opinion they get paid just fine. The thing that no one seems to understand is that fighters get a ton of cash from sponsorships just for being in the UFC.

EX: fighters being sponsored by TAPOUT or different energy drinks or proteins. Or even fighters like GSP who gets massive sponsorships like Under Armour. The fact is the UFC contract is a set pay of what they automatically make just by fighting. They make more money from sponsorships and stuff so they dont need to worry about the "low" contract. If they leave the UFC complaining about low pay then they will lose their sponsorships and then lose even more money. So in my opinion they get paid just fine.

If your a guy like Lesnar who brings in a massive crowd to his PPV events of course hes going to get paid more. the higher your rank/your PPV draw = better pay.

I fully endorse this thread.

This is the number 1 reason why you guy are so wrong in calculating what the UFC makes in revenues. You honestly have NO idea what the UFC both makes and pays out in expenses.

First of all' date=' the UFC collects only about 40% of PPV revenue, so right off the bat reduce your figures by 60% and we'll talk. Haw many people realize that for the Vancouver event allone, the UFC was forced to carry $12 million in insurance alone?

Do you realize that the UFC produces it's entire broadcasts on it' own? It covers the cost of the transportation of the trucks, the crew to set up take down, the cost of building rental for 3-4 days, airfares for the entire staff and fighters, hotel costs, per diems, insurance, marketing, Commission spits, and on and on and on.

When you get a clue and realize just what it costs to put on a show, come back and we'll talk...[/quote']

thanks for pointing that out sir.. cleared up where all the money goes..

and to add to this argument MMA hasnt been mainstream for even five years.. and still technically isnt mainstream yet.. so for what these fighters are being paid its just fine for the time being.. ofcourse they deserve more and theyll get more as time progresses the sport of MMA.. in 10 years it would be a different game

It shows that the pay is not unrealistic. You can't base what a top boxer gets paid to what a top MMA artist gets paid. The boxer partners directly with the provider, a MMA fighter is contracted by a private company. The MMA fighter signs a contract of a certain length for what is usually an escalating amount. The number of fights a fighter has, the number of wins the fighter has, the number of loses a fighter has, the draw power of a fighter are all some, but not all of what the UFC bases it's contract negotiations on.

Why is it only fans who are complaining about what MMA fighter get paid and not the MMA fighters? Oh that's right you don't really know what they get paid, you only know what is shown by the commissions...

When Mayweather is getting $43' date='000,000 bills per fight, i think UFC could come up with some better $ for some of these guys.

Dana whites a rich mother****er. That's all I can say.[/quote']

this.

what top UFC stars earn compared to other top leve athleats is a joke.

this.

what top UFC stars earn compared to other top leve athleats is a joke.

The guy you quoted is talking about numbers that he knows nothing about, maybe you should read the entire thread, to see what exactly the ufc has to pay out and aprox what they get in revenue.

It shows that the pay is not unrealistic. You can't base what a top boxer gets paid to what a top MMA artist gets paid. The boxer partners directly with the provider' date=' a MMA fighter is contracted by a private company. The MMA fighter signs a contract of a certain length for what is usually an escalating amount. The number of fights a fighter has, the number of wins the fighter has, the number of loses a fighter has, the draw power of a fighter are all some, but not all of what the UFC bases it's contract negotiations on.

Why is it only fans who are complaining about what MMA fighter get paid and not the MMA fighters? Oh that's right you don't really know what they get paid, you only know what is shown by the commissions...[/quote']

Don't make accusations when in actuality you don't know whether I am a fighter or not, and don't know whether I know or not. The imporatant thing here is not my credentials, it is the reality that I do not think it is right that those who own the UFC keep most of the money while only paying out a miniscule amount to those who are out there putting there lives on the line. I have a great understanding of the business world, and understand how it works, and you know what? I don't agree with cooporate greed, and think everyday people deserve their fair share. And you are saying that is wrong?

Absolutely it's wrong... as the owners of a private company' date=' they have every right in the world to make as much money as they want, spend as much as they want or pay out as much they want.

You have every right to disagree with it.[/quote']

Yes, as do you have every right to disagree with me. And yes, you are right that they do have every right to make as much as they want as a private company. But I for one do not agree with greed, and you do.

ok then' date=' lets compare... go for it[/quote']

The details to Cristiano Ronaldo?s Real Madrid contract have been disclosed.

Cristiano Ronaldo signed a six year deal that will pay him �237,000 per week in his first year with the Spanish giants, and will increase every year by 25%. The contract also grants Cristiano 60% of his image rights.

Cristiano will also save huge amounts of money on income tax. The prospect of a 50% income tax in the United Kingdom is very real and could be implemented by April 2010. If the increase in taxes in the United Kingdom go forth, it will undoubtedly drive other superstars out of the Premier league.

Here are the numbers to Cristiano Ronaldo?s contract.

year 1: �237,000/wk

Year 2: �296,250/wk

Year 3: �370,312/wk

Year 4: �462,890/wk

Year 5: �578,612/wk

Year 6: �723,265/wk

Tidbit:

they're is no one in the UFC to compare that to.

thats just the weekly wage as well as that their would be a siging bonus and various other bonuses. i'm asuming its euros.

not a great example because he is the highest paid so lets look at the average for top flight football.

the average weekly wage in the premiership is now ?60,000 which i think is about 70 or 80 thousand dollars.

UFC is the super bowl of MMA dana white says it all the time.

yet shane carwin is getting $40,000 dolars to fight in what is probably the biggest fight of the year. ok i don't know the datails of his contract (if you know lay it on me i might reconcider my position). but to me that is a joke.

ok then, so then lets look at this company that you say is giving only a minuscule amount of profits to its fighters.

Just how much does the UFC make? Do you know what kind of debt the UFC carries? And do you know what it's operating costs are?

Operating costs for the UFC have more than tripled due to expansion. UFC is expanding it's Canadian operations, opening offices, they are opening offices in China, they now have offices in England.

The UFC secured new financing for it's debt a few years back with a $325 million secure line due in 2015 and a revolver of $25 million due is 2012. Yes that's a debt load of $350 MILLION. The S&P started covering Zuffa because of this secured line and in turn reduced it's credit rating outlook from stable to negative. If you have "a great understanding of the business world", then you will understand what that means, especially for a company refinancing debt...

What does this mean? It means that so many people think, oh hey the UFC charges $45 dollars a ppv and they get a million buys that they they make $45 million each fight, which is so far from the truth it's laughable. The UFC needs to make a profit or it will simply cease to exist. If it continues to increase profits, it can expand it's product worldwide, because expansion is not cheap, in fact it costs tens of millions of dollars. My bet is that the UFC has profit margin of just under 40%, perhaps closer to 35%.

The details to Cristiano Ronaldo’s Real Madrid contract have been disclosed.

Cristiano Ronaldo signed a six year deal that will pay him �237' date='000 per week in his first year with the Spanish giants, and will increase every year by 25%. The contract also grants Cristiano 60% of his image rights.

Cristiano will also save huge amounts of money on income tax. The prospect of a 50% income tax in the United Kingdom is very real and could be implemented by April 2010. If the increase in taxes in the United Kingdom go forth, it will undoubtedly drive other superstars out of the Premier league.

Here are the numbers to Cristiano Ronaldo’s contract.

year 1: �237,000/wk

Year 2: �296,250/wk

Year 3: �370,312/wk

Year 4: �462,890/wk

Year 5: �578,612/wk

Year 6: �723,265/wk

Tidbit:

they're is no one in the UFC to compare that to.

thats just the weekly wage as well as that their would be a siging bonus and various other bonuses. i'm asuming its euros.

not a great example because he is the highest paid so lets look at the average for top flight football.

the average weekly wage in the premiership is now ?60,000 which i think is about 70 or 80 thousand dollars.

UFC is the super bowl of MMA dana white says it all the time.

yet shane carwin is getting $40,000 dolars to fight in what is probably the biggest fight of the year. ok i don't know the datails of his contract (if you know lay it on me i might reconcider my position). but to me that is a joke.[/quote']

Ah, see, here is the problem we have when comparing other sports... tv rights. How much does Real Madrid make for it's television rights?

also, per week, is that based on 52 weeks or the amount of weeks in a football schedule? If so how many weeks is that?

Honestly it would be crazy for the UFC to give fighters more money. think about it, They cover all health benefits for every fighter and all staff that works with the UFC, they also pay for travel fees and lodging. When the UFC has to bring like 100 UFC staff to a different country or over seas for an event they have to pay for the flight/hotels/food(yes they pay food) plus i've seen in many videos all the gifts the UFC send to fighters, like new phones, video game systems, new cars other stuff. Unlike boxing the UFC is growing and growing and if no one noticed theirs like 2 events a month now and they keep bringing in new fighters. More fighters = more contracts and more money being spent on health care and travelling. The bottom line is the UFC has so many expenses and fighters get paid really well. Look at Pat Barry. He was living off ketchup and rice and in one fight he made more money then some of us make in a year. Thats without sponsorships and not counting his benefits hes getting from the UFC. so its safe to say fighters are doing well if they are in the UFC. they get to train and stay in the best shape of their lives, and do what they love to do and get paid well doing it. Plus get to travel the world for free.

They will use the credit to expand and offset costs. Just because the Fertitta's own a portion of Station Casinos, they run as completely separate companies. Lorenzo is not going to put his own personal capital into the day to day operations. Zuffa is a large enough company that it can secure it's own lines.

edit:

Also remember, the UFC did not become profitable until after the airing of TUF 1. They were more than $100 million in debt going into that show and had to finance the entire first season them selves.

ok then' date=' so then lets look at this company that you say is giving only a minuscule amount of profits to its fighters.

Just how much does the UFC make? Do you know what kind of debt the UFC carries? And do you know what it's operating costs are?

Operating costs for the UFC have more than tripled due to expansion. UFC is expanding it's Canadian operations, opening offices, they are opening offices in China, they now have offices in England.

The UFC secured new financing for it's debt a few years back with a $325 million secure line due in 2015 and a revolver of $25 million due is 2012. Yes that's a debt load of $350 MILLION. The S&P started covering Zuffa because of this secured line and in turn reduced it's credit rating outlook from stable to negative. If you have "a great understanding of the business world", then you will understand what that means, especially for a company refinancing debt...

What does this mean? It means that so many people think, oh hey the UFC charges $45 dollars a ppv and they get a million buys that they they make $45 million each fight, which is so far from the truth it's laughable. The UFC needs to make a profit or it will simply cease to exist. If it continues to increase profits, it can expand it's product worldwide, because expansion is not cheap, in fact it costs tens of millions of dollars. My bet is that the UFC has profit margin of just under 40%, perhaps closer to 35%.[/quote']

Please post your sources. That would be helpful. And, oh, I see you are a betting man. Well in that case I bet the UFC owners are making a very large profit and not floundering as much as you suggest.

Please post your sources. That would be helpful. And' date=' oh, I see you are a betting man. Well in that case I bet the UFC owners are making a very large profit and not floundering as much as you suggest.[/quote']

Lol he's basically an employee of the UFC so your getting information directly from the source.

Haha' date=' yeah I know. Its like listening to studies where scientists are paid to come out with a certain outcome... Smells a little fishy if you ask me.[/quote']

Since you seem to think you know so much about the business world, why dont you tell us what the UFC's profit margine is then??

Archived