3 fights to watch at UFC116

Little_Kang

Some great points. Looking forward to Parts 2 and 3. I'm guessing the Sot-Pellegrino fight will be on there.

Not sure what the third will be. Maybe Stephan Bonnar vs Sozynski (sp?) If Bonnar loses again I don't know what Dana will do with him. He has said that Bonnar is in the UFC for life, but what if his record is 13-20?

Wanderlei vs Akiyama is going to be insane. I would love to see Wanderlei vs Vitor 2 or Wanderlei vs Chael. Akiyama is a good match-up for any of those fighters as well. Nice read!

Good article i also agree with sexyama going down to 170. He looked tiny against belcher.

Here's the thing with Sexy. He's been spending alot of time at Extreme Couture recently. Now Japanese fighters aren't usually known for having crazy strength and conditioning programs. But if Sexy was able to pick that up at EC and put on some good muscle then he could pose an even bigger threat at 185

Good article i also agree with sexyama going down to 170. He looked tiny against belcher.

Thats been one of the major issues IMO for Japanese fighters to break into North American organizations. They tend to fight close to their natural weight and don;t do the big cuts we see in the UFC or SF.

Look at the Aoki vs Melendez fight. Aoki looked like a feather or even bantam weight fighter vs Melendez. Yushin Okami is one of the few that looks like he is fighting in the right weight class.

Thats been one of the major issues IMO for Japanese fighters to break into North American organizations. They tend to fight close to their natural weight and don;t do the big cuts we see in the UFC or SF.

Look at the Aoki vs Melendez fight. Aoki looked like a feather or even bantam weight fighter vs Melendez. Yushin Okami is one of the few that looks like he is fighting in the right weight class.

Kid as well.

Hey' date=' there's another article for you. The difference in weight cutting etc with Japanese fighters vs western fighters.[/quote']

well it's not just cutting. Cutting isn't nationality based but more so wrestling based. Japanese are more notorious for not having weight training regimes like other nationalities. Japanese are more about heart and skill

well it's not just cutting. Cutting isn't nationality based but more so wrestling based. Japanese are more notorious for not having weight training regimes like other nationalities. Japanese are more about heart and skill

True. Would be interesting to see a write up on how many Japanese fighters have had success outside of Japan.

True. Would be interesting to see a write up on how many Japanese fighters have had success outside of Japan.

alot of success? Okami, Uno, Mach Sakuria, etc.

Thing with Japanese fighters is what's happening with UFC champions. Japanese fighters are more famous, thus more money, in Japan. Just like how the champs right now are the most famous in America, thus when they get cuts from ppv buys they make more money, thus why they don't want to fight in Europe or Aussie country.

To be honest, I think this is a major reason why so many former Pride stars have had trouble adapting to the UFC. Weight cutting was not as prominent in Pride because, as you say, Japanese fighters did not usually cut weight. A lot of Pride fights you'd see guys come in six or seven pounds under the limit for their weight class. Then they come over to the UFC and find themselves facing fighters much larger than they are used to. Rampage is the only former Pride fighter to have a significant impact in the UFC and he is an American wrestler who is used to the process of cutting weight.

I'm sure there are plenty of other factors but I think this is one of the bigger ones.

Archived