Could You Imagin MMA in College

oxymoron5k

I agree that it would be awesome to watch, and with school spirit the crowds would be crazy.

Schools don't do boxing do they? I'm sure some have boxing programs, but I don't think I have ever heard of events where they pit boxers from each school against each other.

I think it's a long long way off, but cool idea.

You can take classes that teach you certain skills (I'm going to be taking a "karate" class that I guess is actually more like a JJ class), but as far as actually competing against other schools I don't think that would ever be implemented.

Who knows though, MMA is growing exponentially every day.

I agree that it would be awesome to watch' date=' and with school spirit the crowds would be crazy.

[b']Schools don't do boxing do they? I'm sure some have boxing programs, but I don't think I have ever heard of events where they pit boxers from each school against each other.

[/b]

I think it's a long long way off, but cool idea.

My school, University of Maryland, hosted some sort of boxing championships last year and had a few schools in the tournament. Not sure of the details since I didn't go but something along those lines does happen.

That would be great. I can see it moving down to amateur gyms and even high schools eventually for recruiting. It might not be around the corner but another decade or two and we could see it.

Something like that could be the best thing for the evolution of the sport we could possibly see. College sports are all about the money they bring into the school. So if MMA keeps growing and colleges think it will bring in the cash I see no reason why we wouldnt see it someday.

That would be great. I can see it moving down to amateur gyms and even high schools eventually for recruiting. It might not be around the corner but another decade or two and we could see it.

Something like that could be the best thing for the evolution of the sport we could possibly see. College sports are all about the money they bring into the school. So if MMA keeps growing and colleges think it will bring in the cash I see no reason why we wouldnt see it someday.

This is a very good point. Our football team sucks balls but just got luxury suites built on the stadium and all this other crap yet our nationally ranked wrestling team is lucky to get more than one article in the school paper a week.

Heres and interesting twist. If it DID get going in college would it be side by side with collegiate wrestling or would it eventually phase out and replace wrestling ?

it would most likely over-take the wrestling.. that would be a very empty program.. all the guys will be in mma

Not going to happen' date=' sorry. No school will implement a sport where the goal is to hurt your opponent. I would love for this to happen, but it just won't. I know football/hockey and other sports have worse injuries, but the goal isn't to cause injuries like in MMA.[/quote']

Obviously you never met my son of a ***** prick of a football coach. Coach Kelly was in his late 40's, stunk of beer and Body Order and only cared about us hurting the other team. Not the game....hurting the other team.

Football isn't about scoring...It's a full contact sport where you hurt other people. More people are hurt playing football each year....look at the stats.

LOL thats the part of football i loved best.

That being said, sports injuries arent relevant to colleges unless it costs them money so i dont think its an issue.

Penn and Tellers show ******** premiered this season with "cheer leading". They showed some pretty amazing stats. The most relevant though is that there are more girls crippled or seriously injured in cheer leading each year then in all other collegiate sports combined. And no one is pushing to try to make it safer for them. So i dont think injuries will be a big deal in an MMA program.

Then colleges would have to find a way to recruit fighters' date=' which is rather impossible as high schools will never adopt a sport like mma[/quote']

I dont see that thats neccesarily true. But even if it is then those scouts would just visit local gyms instead of high schools. It would be a little bit more work but not that much more.

I dont see that thats neccesarily true. But even if it is then those scouts would just visit local gyms instead of high schools. It would be a little bit more work but not that much more.

another thing, anyone looking to turn pro fighter and had the ability to get a scholarship would just go pro. they wouldt **** around in college and not get payed.

My friends and I actually started an MMA club at our college. We had dedicated training hours and excess to the wrestling room. We were given $1000 by the SGA like every other club and were told we could pretty much do whatever we wanted as long as every participant signed a waiver and provided the club with emergency information.

We were allowed to grapple in the wrestling room during open hours which had a nurse on hand for those times and we had two dedicated hours every Tuesday and Thursday for circuit training, sparring, and technique building as far as stand up goes. After elections we will have our own room for sparring and grappling. MMA in college is not so far fetched. As long as all standard procedures are adhered too with emphasis on safety and education, the college has no problem.

I don't see any complications with an intramural MMA program. It could even become an accepted athletic program with scholarships. I guaranteed a school could sell tickets to MMA. Have a team from each school, a guy from each weight class and treat it like wrestling. I think guys would be interested in getting a scholarship and fighting through college, because most athletes don't go pro so they have a degree to fall back on. I think high school wrestlers would be recruited because of their athleticism and the fact that wrestling is the most sound base for MMA.

another thing' date=' anyone looking to turn pro fighter and had the ability to get a scholarship would just go pro. they wouldt **** around in college and not get payed.[/quote']

Maybe, its worth noting that the NBA and the MBA dont require a college degree either and even though scouts do pick guys up from high school sometimes they prefer to recruit from college. The extra couple of years of experiance is considered to be worth it.

That and lots of athletes would like to be able to have acareer after their too old to compete, ya know sometime in their 30's. I Think lots of people would still prefer to have the college degree too. Especially if it comes with a scholarship like other good collegiate athletes get.

Archived