Remember when fighters in their prime actually fought?

Exodus9mm

So I got thinking about how many fights most MMA fighters in their prime have in a year nowadays, and something dawned on me.

Typically speaking, elite level fighters are looking at around 2-3/year at most. Rarely, do we ever see anyone with 4 or more. Why? Why exactly........what happened?

Let's look at some notable names in the world of MMA.

Igor Vovchanchyn

Year: 1995

# of fights: 7

Year: 1996

# of fights: 9

Year: 1997

Year: 1998

# of fights: 5

Year: 1999

# of fights: 6

Year: 2000

# of fights: 8

Year: 2001

(1 other year with 4 fights)

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

Year: 2002

Year: 2004

# of fights 5

Year: 2006

# of fights:5

Fedor Emelianenko

Year: 2003

Wanderlei Silva

(3 other years with 4 fights)

Mirko Cro Cop

Year: 2005

(2 other years with 4 fights)

Shogun Rua

Kazushi Sakuraba

Matt Hughes

# of fights: 10 (wow)

Randy Couture

(2 years with 4 fights)

Chuck Liddell

(0 years with more than 3 fights)

Anderson Silva

(1 year with 4 fights)

Lyoto Machida

(1 year with 4 fights)

GSP

(1 year with 4 fights)

Brock Lesnar

(LOL)

Take from it what you will, but I remember a time when guys in their prime actually fought.

This is just another example of why Pride was considered the premier MMA league during its time. Not the UFC.

EDIT - I should have included the pre-Dana UFC days fighters like Royce and Severn. They had some good amount of fights in years passed. And this isn't really a knock on the UFC, so much as it is on North American commissions.

So I got thinking about how many fights most MMA fighters in their prime have in a year nowadays' date=' and something dawned on me.

Typically speaking, elite level fighters are looking at around 2-3/year at most. Rarely, do we ever see anyone with 4 or more. Why? Why exactly........what happened?

Let's look at some notable names in the world of MMA.

[b']Igor Vovchanchyn[/b]

Year: 1995

# of fights: 7

Year: 1996

Year: 1997

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

Year: 2002

# of fights 5

Year: 2006

# of fights:5

Fedor Emelianenko

Wanderlei Silva

(3 other years with 4 fights)

Mirko Cro Cop

Shogun Rua

Kazushi Sakuraba

Matt Hughes

# of fights: 10 (wow)

Randy Couture

(2 years with 4 fights)

Chuck Liddell

(0 years with more than 3 fights)

Anderson Silva

(1 year with 4 fights)

Lyoto Machida

(1 year with 4 fights)

GSP

(1 year with 4 fights)

Brock Lesnar

(LOL)

Take from it what you will, but I remember a time when guys in their prime actually fought.

This is just another example of why Pride was considered the premier MMA league during its time. Not the UFC.

Eliminating the tourney format is the main reason for this, although it isn't true for some of these fighters.

It's cause the UFC. We both know Fulton's fight stats and how many he's had even in just one month. But he's fighting wherever he can. UFC restricts you, and they can't put on shows every other week, it's too expensive. I mean, compare Shogun before to Shogun now, or any Pride fighter for that matter. And I don't think the tourney format has anything to do with it, had there not been tourneys, there would still have been fights, just not nearly as set up as they were

Interesting...

I'll have to reflect on this a bit :) Though injuries come to mind as a possible reason.

I guess that the UFC wants to kind of anchor each PPV around the main event (With the Co-Main event rarely featuring a title fight, thus making the wait a bit longer...

But, will sleep on it.

Eliminating the tourney format is the main reason for this' date=' although it isn't true for some of these fighters.[/quote']

What does that matter? They still fought that many times.

Trying to show why Pride was considered badass, and the UFC....well....kind of. :)

What up homes? Koscheck has stated that he would LOVE to fight 12 times a year' date=' but the UFC "wont let him".[/quote']

How ya doin Brewsky? Exactly. The UFC and North American "commissions" are retarded. Somehow, we've accepted it as okay.....but we're getting ripped.

Dan Severn : 93W-16L-7D

Win Don Richard Decision (Unanimous) KOTC - Bad Boys 11/21/2007 3 5:00

Win Jimmy Westfall Decision (Unanimous) UFP - Universal Fight Promotions 10/13/2007 3 5:00

Win Mark Smith TKO (Corner Stoppage) TOTP - Titans of the Pentagon 9/22/2007 1 N/A

Win Victor Vincelette Submission (Choke) WFC - Rumble In The Red Rocks 6/9/2007 1 1:35

Win Terrell Pree Submission (Armbar) WVF - Minot 4/21/2007 1 4:18

Win Jason Keith Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) GC 60 - Invasion 3/23/2007 1 2:36

Win Kasey Geyer Submission (Rear Naked Choke) CCCF - Riverwind Rumble 2/24/2007 2 1:25

Win Clifford **** Submission (Rear Naked Choke) CCCF - Red River Riot 2/17/2007 1 1:53

Loss Dave Legeno Decision (Unanimous) Cage Rage 20 - Born 2 Fight 2/10/2007 3 5:00

Win Wade Hamilton Submission KOTC - Mass Destruction 1/26/2007 1 N/A

Win Lee Mein TKO CFC - Continental Fighting Championships 11/20/2004 2 1:41

Loss James Thompson Decision (Unanimous) UC 11 - Wrath of the Beast 9/12/2004 5 5:00

Win Chad Rafdel TKO (Corner Stoppage) AFA - Beast 7/31/2004 1 3:00

Win Hidetada Irie Decision (Unanimous) Gladiator FC - Day 1 6/26/2004 3 5:00

Win Ruben Villareal Decision (Split) GC 27 - FightFest 2 6/3/2004 2 5:00

Win Greg Lockhart Submission Dangerzone - Cage Fighting 4/10/2004 2 1:45

Win Johnathan Ivey Decision (Unanimous) HFC 3 - Hardcore Fighting Championships 3 3/27/2004 N/A N/A

Loss Tony Bonello Submission (Rear Naked Choke) XFC 4 - Australia vs The World 3/19/2004 1 1:36

Loss Ulysses Castro Submission (Verbal) ETB - Enter the Beast 3/6/2004 3 2:45

Draw Jerry Vrbanovic Draw KOTC 33 - After Shock 2/20/2004 2 5:00

Loss Seth Petruzelli Decision (Unanimous) KOTC 32 - Bringing Heat 1/24/2004 3 5:00

Win Ray Seraile Submission (Armbar) PXC 1 - Pacific X-Treme Combat 1/17/2004 3 2:03

How ya doin Brewsky? Exactly. The UFC and North American "commissions" are retarded. Somehow' date=' we've accepted it as okay.....but we're getting ripped.[/quote']

That brings up this question......Ben Askren and all the finalists from Bellator season 2 will fight 4 times this year within a 5 month period. How can Bellator do this while UFC fighters are given medical suspensions after a 3 round fight?

What commissions do Bellator use, I think UFC needs to start using theirs instead. Plus Pride FC puts on fights for their fighters whenever they need fights. Many here would call them cans, but these guys were willing to go out there and prove themselves, plus they were champions in their respected company's

Pride brought Champions from all aspects, from K-1 fighters, BJJ Champions, Judo world champions, and Vale Tudo. It didnt matter, only in America do they only wanna see fighters fight top 10 guys in which case as much as 70% of fighters arent even in the top 10 let alone top 20.

^Totally missed the point. -_-

Travis Fulton

23 fights in 1997 (lol)

43 fights in 1998 (really' date=' this is something I lol'd at)

29 fights in 1999

25 fights in 2000

I think I'll just stop here[/quote']

He was known as the Ironman, winner of many 1 night Tournaments, and fought a week later on another, the man just cant get enough MMA and I think UFC needs to bring him back

^Totally missed the point. -_-

Travis Fulton

23 fights in 1997 (lol)

43 fights in 1998 (really' date=' this is something I lol'd at)

29 fights in 1999

25 fights in 2000

I think I'll just stop here[/quote']

Fulton is an anomoly though......he's in his own category.

There's an obsession with lengthening their careers for some reason... although they SHOULD be looking to take advantage of the years which are considered to be their "prime".

Take Wandy for example.

He's what? 33 going on 34?

He took so much damn damage in the past though that he just doesn't look like the same guy.

An interesting thing to note is that Hughes is the only wrestler you have listed there.

(Also, his last fight in 2000 in the UFC had resulted in a loss)

I'm not sure if that means anything, but one could say that strikers essentially believe that they recover quicker after fights than wrestlers. One could also say that wrestlers enjoy a longer career because their style is not stand and bang, but they'll fight less often every year because of the toll that out muscling guys takes on the body.

Either that.... or North American commissions these days suck.

That brings up this question......Ben Askren and all the finalists from Bellator season 2 will fight 4 times this year within a 5 month period. How can Bellator do this while UFC fighters are given medical suspensions after a 3 round fight?

What commissions do Bellator use' date=' I think UFC needs to start using theirs instead. Plus Pride FC puts on fights for their fighters whenever they need fights. Many here would call them cans, but these guys were willing to go out there and prove themselves, plus they were champions in their respected company's

Pride brought Champions from all aspects, from K-1 fighters, BJJ Champions, Judo world champions, and Vale Tudo. It didnt matter, only in America do they only wanna see fighters fight top 10 guys in which case as much as 70% of fighters arent even in the top 10 let alone top 20.[/quote']

Well said Cave. Makes you wonder eh?

Archived