The Breakdown: Edgar vs. Penn II

ForrestGriffinFan101

This is a detailed prediction on the upcoming fight of Edgar vs. Penn.

First I'd like to discuss the striking game. I think the reason that Penn lost is because he counter-punched the whole time. The reason he countered most of the time is because when he was the aggressor, he got countered by Edgar easily. Now, he did counter Edgar very nicely and it's very impressive considering that fact that Edgar was moving as quickly as John Goodman's hand at dinner. Anyways, Edgar almost always threw the first strike. This is not something that BJ is used to. The only other person I can think of that threw the first strike most the time againt Baby J is Sean Sherk and he's not half the striker Edgar is.

In the Diego fight BJ Penn threw first most of the time. He did a good job of being the aggressor in that fight while Diego shot in for takedowns every minute of the fight. Edgar on the other hand threw first and then shot in which is smart because he knew that BJ was countering. Sometimes when BJ countered he would overextend his punches because he would expect Edgar to bounce out. This is why Edgar was throwing the first punch; so he could set up takedowns. He was trying to counter BJ's counter with a takedown if that makes sense. This is a smart gameplan. If he would do this in the next fight it will most likely turn out like the last fight. If Edgar throws the first punch most of the time he will win the fight, unless of course BJ Penn has been doing nothing but working his counter-punching.

If BJ wants to win this fight he will have to take Edgar to the ground. If he doesn't he will lose again (in my opinion). Edgar is a great wrestler but was put on his back a lot by Gray Maynard. While BJ isn't the wrestler that Maynard is he his a good wrestler. I think he has the ability to put Edgar on his back and if he does so he will win the fight. The outcome of this fight is fully determined on BJ's gameplan. Edgar will most likely have the same gameplan as last time. BJ on the other hand has to change his gameplan if he wants to for sure win this fight.

So, my prediction is that BJ will be to stubborn to take it to the ground and he will lose a decision once again. I'm iffy on that though. If BJ takes it to the ground he's got it in the bag. If not, it's a close call.

Discuss....

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bj wont ground unless Edgar takes him there.

Bj wont intiate unless he hurts Edgar. This is why BJ had never been knocked out. He has a tough chin but he doest take risks off bad footing. Edgar outfooted him where Penn didnt want to commit to risky off balance strikes. They both played smart, but in no way was this a fight of any historic quality. Edgar cheesed for 25 minutes, never doing mounting any serious threat. A decision win over a champion is ridiculous and a decision just means noone knows who could have won except me- Penn.

BJ should be much more aggressive in the rematch. He is bigger and stronger than Edgar, he needs to go out and bully him. If he sticks to counter punching and reacting to Edgar like he did in the first fight he could very well lose the rematch.

you cant pull off the same game twice, why? well besides the guy your fighting already took it last time, and it was in my eyes a draw. so for frankie to pull the upset again he will need to be unorthodox and attempt some take downs after strikes.. throw off bj's expectations.. when he gets him biting on the takedowns mix it up then and throw head kicks ..

edgar will beat bj by descision again bj is too stubborn to think someone can out box him. i doubt bj will put him in the fence. If edgar can get a little more power he will destroy bj

Guy Bj Penn has fought at 186 lbs against Lheavyweights. No amount of weight training will give Edgar the strength to overpower a naturally bigger guy. Bj Penn hits like a tank and Edgar hits like a hooker getting slapped. Edgar is too tiny to Ko Penn and he knew that so thats why we had Dance with Wolves for 25 minutes last time.

Bj is definatly a stubborn guy though

Will some Edgar fans help me out here? Everyone who has posted so far has been a BJ fan haha

I was rooting for Edgar the first time and I think he'll win the rematch. He was the agressor, landed more clean strikes, and took BJ down. HE WON THE FIRST FIGHT. GET OVER NUT HUGGERS.

and I believe that he'll be extremely motivated to keep his belt and prove he's the real champion and show off even better boxing and I agree with countering BJ's counterpunches with takedowns. Frankie Edgar is the new champion and he will remain champion.

I was rooting for Edgar the first time and I think he'll win the rematch. He was the agressor' date=' landed more clean strikes, and took BJ down. HE WON THE FIRST FIGHT. GET OVER NUT HUGGERS.

and I believe that he'll be extremely motivated to keep his belt and prove he's the real champion and show off even better boxing and I agree with countering BJ's counterpunches with takedowns. Frankie Edgar is the new champion and he will remain champion.[/quote']

It's kinda funny though I keep forgetting that Edgar is the champion. Every time 118 is brought up I'm like oh Penn defending his belt again......oh wait I forgot it's Edgar haha

Bj will take it in this rematch easily. He out struck Edgar, escaped 12 of 13 of Edgar's td attempts, and took center of the octagon practically the entire fight. And all this while Bj put on one of the worst performances of his career. He looked gassed in round 1 and even flabby out of shape Bj has a good round 1. Edgar won't stand a chance.

Bj will take it in this rematch easily. He out struck Edgar' date=' escaped 12 of 13 of Edgar's td attempts, and took center of the octagon practically the entire fight. And all this while Bj put on one of the worst performances of his career. He looked gassed in round 1 and even flabby out of shape Bj has a good round 1. Edgar won't stand a chance.[/quote']

He didn't look gassed until round 5. Edgar made him look out of character because Penn couldn't figure him out.

Bj will take it in this rematch easily. He out struck Edgar' date=' escaped 12 of 13 of Edgar's td attempts, and took center of the octagon practically the entire fight. And all this while Bj put on one of the worst performances of his career. He looked gassed in round 1 and even flabby out of shape Bj has a good round 1. Edgar won't stand a chance.[/quote']

Hell yes brother

Frankie is going to kick Bj's **** again! Just wait and see! Bj will need some more lame excuses! He is running out of them lol

Overrated once again proving that he knows nothing about mma. I dare you to find a interview with Bj making an excuse for the Edgar fight. Go back to watching your hockey game.

Overrated once again proving that he knows nothing about mma. I dare you to find a interview with Bj making an excuse for the Edgar fight. Go back to watching your hockey game.

You know nothing about MMA thinking BJ is a good fighter. Go back to making excuses! After Bj loses again to Frankie, he will Quit anyway.

You know nothing about MMA thinking BJ is a good fighter. Go back to making excuses!

The type of quality comeback I have come to expect from this Canuck. "your stupid" "no you are" lol I guess thats what your get when you have a 2nd grade understanding of the English language ; )

The type of quality comeback I have come to expect from this Canuck. "your stupid" "no you are" lol I guess thats what your get when you have a 2nd grade understanding of the English language ; )

Typical classless American. What have I told you about insulting my Country. You always take cheap shots at Canada. Have you been to Toronto? Did you know its a BIG city like New York? I guess they don't teach you that in the American learning system. ****ing redneck.

If BJ is going to win this one he needs to be more aggressive and push it. If he lets Edgar dictate the pace of the fight again then he will lose again.

I disagree that Edgar will bring the same gameplan though. I think he will push for more takedowns this time around. Either way he's better standing or wrestling then BJ. I think this fight will go the same way as the last one. 5 pretty close rounds with Edgar winning the decision.

Btw are there any videos or anything of these training routines this time around? I havent seen any and that could make a big difference.

If BJ is going to win this one he needs to be more aggressive and push it. If he lets Edgar dictate the pace of the fight again then he will lose again.

I disagree that Edgar will bring the same gameplan though. I think he will push for more takedowns this time around. Either way he's better standing or wrestling then BJ. I think this fight will go the same way as the last one. 5 pretty close rounds with Edgar winning the decision.

Btw are there any videos or anything of these training routines this time around? I havent seen any and that could make a big difference.

No sorry I havent seen any. Time to search youtube!

Frankie is going to kick Bj's **** again! Just wait and see! Bj will need some more lame excuses! He is running out of them lol

You said Edgar kicked Bj''s **** and that makes you retarded or you are blind and had to listen to the fight. Edgar looks good on paper and makes his dance look pretty' date=' but **** kicking? Whatre you fking talking about? Edgar did what in 25 minutes? Bro half hour of fighting and never once was Bj Penn in trouble lol. No takedowns, no submissions, not even octagon control. At least Bj Penn was trying to engage while Edgar looked like Pernell Whitaker the whole fight. If this fight happened in the US or Britain the Judging would have been more sound. I blame 3rd world countries for giving the belt away to someone who didnt do sh1t to the champion.

You know nothing about MMA thinking BJ is a good fighter. Go back to making excuses! After Bj loses again to Frankie, he will Quit anyway.

Bj fought Edgar for 25 minutes and never quit. This doesnt say alot about Edgar's agressiveness. GSP is an elite athlete and bigger than Penn. Edgar is a butterfly without the sting or skill or talent.

You are right about that! Bj's stand up and wrestling is not even close to Frankie's. Also Bj's stand has always been WAY overrated. Its average at best.

Bj is going to get smashed.

Typical classless American. What have I told you about insulting my Country. You always take cheap shots at Canada. Have you been to Toronto? Did you know its a BIG city like New York? I guess they don't teach you that in the American learning system. ****ing redneck.

LOL dude toronto has 2.5 million people. The greater new york area has 22 million.

Toronto is a small city, like Las vegas or Oklahoma city.

You guys are small potatoes, just deal with it.

In case your memory is short when you post

Just wait and see! Bj will need some more lame excuses! He is running out of them lol

I will be posting

Go back to watching your hockey game.

If you don't like it then you know what to do.

You are right about that! Bj's stand up and wrestling is not even close to Frankie's. Also Bj's stand has always been WAY overrated. Its average at best.

Bj is going to get smashed.

Bj is not a wrestler so no duh Frankies wrestling is better although it didn't help him much last time as he couldn't take Bj down. As far as his striking http://www.fightmetric.com/fights/Edgar-Penn.html

You said Edgar kicked Bj''s **** and that makes you retarded or you are blind and had to listen to the fight. Edgar looks good on paper and makes his dance look pretty' date=' but **** kicking? Whatre you fking talking about? Edgar did what in 25 minutes? Bro half hour of fighting and never once was Bj Penn in trouble lol. No takedowns, no submissions, not even octagon control. At least Bj Penn was trying to engage while Edgar looked like Pernell Whitaker the whole fight. If this fight happened in the US or Britain the Judging would have been more sound. I blame 3rd world countries for giving the belt away to someone who didnt do sh1t to the champion..[/quote']

In fairness, Edgar wasn't in trouble at all during that fight either. Penn needs to show more aggression and take the fight to Edgar this time.

If the Penn we saw vs Diego or Kenflo shows up he will most likely win. If the Penn we saw during the first Edgar fight shows up again.....

Even the biggest Penn fan has to admit the biggest knock on BJ his entire career has been his inconsistency.

In fairness' date=' Edgar wasn't in trouble at all during that fight either. Penn needs to show more aggression and take the fight to Edgar this time.

If the Penn we saw vs Diego or Kenflo shows up he will most likely win. If the Penn we saw during the first Edgar fight shows up again.....

Even the biggest Penn fan has to admit the biggest knock on BJ his entire career has been his inconsistency.[/quote']

Yes you are right in some ways. Bro i think alot of people are so used to Bj Penn being a champion that they are overlooking that he is....The champion. Penn doesnt have to chase around challengers for 25 minutes hoping he doesnt take a jab consistantly. A champion is someone who earned a title by defeating someone. A challenger is someone who has to take that away from a champion. Challenger comes tothe champion to prove himself.

Bj is not a wrestler so no duh Frankies wrestling is better although it didn't help him much last time as he couldn't take Bj down. As far as his striking http://www.fightmetric.com/fights/Edgar-Penn.html

That fightmetric is garbage. Look at Bj's face after the fight. He was mashed. STOP making excuses! You Bj loverboys are the worst!

BJ Penn = most overrated fighter in the UFC! He has never beat anyone good.

Yes you are right in some ways. Bro i think alot of people are so used to Bj Penn being a champion that they are overlooking that he is....The champion. Penn doesnt have to chase around challengers for 25 minutes hoping he doesnt take a jab consistantly. A champion is someone who earned a title by defeating someone. A challenger is someone who has to take that away from a champion. Challenger comes tothe champion to prove himself.

That is true but Bj did look like **** in that fight. In the rematch I'm confident Bj will be back in the form he was in his previous two fights. Bj beat Edgar while looking like **** and will absolutely smash him in the rematch.

That fightmetric is garbage. Look at Bj's face after the fight. He was mashed. STOP making excuses! You Bj loverboys are the worst!

BJ Penn = most overrated fighter in the UFC! He has never beat anyone good.

Yes numbers are bad. Numbers don't prove anything....give me a break kid. And Gsp must be a god awful fighter as Bj has beaten everyone that has beaten Gsp, and if everyone Bj beat is trash............ man I thought you were a gsp fan.

A challenger is someone who has to take that away from a champion. Challenger comes tothe champion to prove himself.

I could turn that around and say this...

A champion is someone who has to prove why he is the champion. A champion is the one that has to finish his opponent so no one questions why he is the champion in the first place.

Eff all the BS things such as "you have to finish the champion to take his belt."

A championship fight is like any other fight except 2 rounds longer and with the belt on the line. The judging criteria doesn't change for a championship fight.

Yes numbers are bad. Numbers don't prove anything....give me a break kid. And Gsp must be a god awful fighter as Bj has beaten everyone that has beaten Gsp' date=' and if everyone Bj beat is trash............ man I thought you were a gsp fan.[/quote']

LOL! Look who GSP has beat!

Who has Bj beat? LMFAO!

I could turn that around and say this...

A champion is someone who has to prove why he is the champion. A champion is the one that has to finish his opponent so no one questions why he is the champion in the first place.

Eff all the BS things such as "you have to finish the champion to take his belt."

A championship fight is like any other fight except 2 rounds longer and with the belt on the line. The judging criteria doesn't change for a championship fight.

Except historically in all fight sports, Decisions as close as Penn/Edgar never go to the challenger. Its bad form and weakens the stability and value of a championship belt.

I guess it's all in how you look at it. When I look at a champ I expect them to dictate where and how the fight takes place and look to finish. I mean that's why everyone gets on GSP because he didn't finish Hardy. They expect a finish because he takes the fight to the challenger and usually controls the fight from start to finish.

Why would Penn be exempt from the prevailing attitude? He's the champ, people expect a dominant performance and more often than not a finish from dominant champs like Penn, Silva and GSP.

Bj wont ground unless Edgar takes him there.

Bj wont intiate unless he hurts Edgar. This is why BJ had never been knocked out. He has a tough chin but he doest take risks off bad footing. Edgar outfooted him where Penn didnt want to commit to risky off balance strikes. They both played smart' date=' but in no way was this a fight of any historic quality. Edgar cheesed for 25 minutes, never doing mounting any serious threat. A decision win over a champion is ridiculous and a decision just means noone knows who could have won except me- Penn.[/quote']

Thats pretty ignorant a decision means you out fought him...however decisions are lame and i do agree it was a pretty mediocre fight and honestly it was the worste iv ever seen bj fight at lightweight

I guess it's all in how you look at it. When I look at a champ I expect them to dictate where and how the fight takes place and look to finish. I mean that's why everyone gets on GSP because he didn't finish Hardy. They expect a finish because he takes the fight to the challenger and usually controls the fight from start to finish.

Why would Penn be exempt from the prevailing attitude? He's the champ' date=' people expect a dominant performance and more often than not a finish from dominant champs like Penn, Silva and GSP.[/quote']

Correction BJ was the champ

Why would Penn be exempt from the prevailing attitude? He's the champ' date=' people expect a dominant performance and more often than not a finish from a dominant champ like Penn was, Silva and GSP.[/quote']

Except historically in all fight sports' date=' Decisions as close as Penn/Edgar never go to the challenger. Its bad form and weakens the stability and value of a championship belt.[/quote']

You know if this fight was a decision like GSP/Fitch i would STFU and say Bj Lost but BJ Won this fight. In the least he should have maintained his belt due to this fight never being a danger to either fighter.

Except historically in all fight sports' date=' Decisions as close as Penn/Edgar never go to the challenger. Its bad form and weakens the stability and value of a championship belt.[/quote']

Then who's fault is that?

Everyone knows MMA judging is faulty.

Dana White - Don't leave it in the hands of the judges.

Yes numbers are bad. Numbers don't prove anything....give me a break kid. And Gsp must be a god awful fighter as Bj has beaten everyone that has beaten Gsp' date=' and if everyone Bj beat is trash............ man I thought you were a gsp fan.[/quote']

I don;t put much stock in the fight metric type numbers. Compustrike for that same fight had Edgar out striking Penn.

http://www.compustrike.com/stats_files/ufc_112/Penn-Edgar.HTM

So which do you believe? I guess which ever proves the point you want to.

You know if this fight was a decision like GSP/Fitch i would STFU and say Bj Lost but BJ Won this fight. In the least he should have maintained his belt due to this fight never being a danger to either fighter.

Maybe so, but that wasn't the point I was discussing. I was discussing you saying the challenger has to come to the champ etc. and I think the attitude from most fans is the Champ should be looking to dominate and finish the challenger.

Why would Penn be exempt from the prevailing attitude? He's the champ' date=' people expect a dominant performance and more often than not a finish from dominant champs like Penn, Silva and GSP.[/quote']

Actually people expected a finish with Hardy because of the obvious gap in talent between the two. Gsp will never face an easier opponent than Hardy again and will most likely never face someone with that weak of a ground game again, and yet he still couldn't finish him.

I don;t put much stock in the fight metric type numbers. Compustrike for that same fight had Edgar out striking Penn.

http://www.compustrike.com/stats_files/ufc_112/Penn-Edgar.HTM

So which do you believe? I guess which ever proves the point you want to.

Maybe so' date=' but that wasn't the point I was discussing. I was discussing you saying the challenger has to come to the champ etc. and I think the attitude from most fans is the Champ should be looking to dominate and finish the challenger.[/quote']

If you look closer at compustrikes then you will see that it gives both fighters 2 rounds and the third round being even. To even with those numbers the best Eggar could do was to tie Bj.

Archived