all american wrestler

anderson_silva_no1p4p

is just some stupid thing the ufc says to make a fighter look good' date=' it really just means they have a wrestling background[/quote']

It doesnt just mean they have a good wrestling background. You can be a collegiate wrestler with a good wrestling background. An ALL AMERICAN means you were one of the best in your weight division at the time.

For example Cain was the top of his weight at the time so he is considered to be an All American. Its a Title they give to the best

It doesnt just mean they have a good wrestling background. You can be a collegiate wrestler with a good wrestling background. An ALL AMERICAN means you were one of the best in your weight division at the time.

For example Cain was the top of his weight at the time so he is considered to be an All American. Its a Title they give to the best

is this better than a div 1 or div 2 championship?

is this better than a div 1 or div 2 championship?

Apparently All-American refers to being one of the top 8 or 10 fighters in the collegiate circuit...

A championship winner is the best at his weight class (#1)...so i'm assuming champions are better than All-Americans...

however, Division I is thought of as more competitive and more skilled (usually) than Division II...so imo, a Division I All-American MAY be a better wrestler than a Division II champion

i just equate All-Americans in collegiate wrestling as playoff teams in other sports...

and of course a lot of people are considered All-Americans in MMA, because the top wrestlers feel they have a better chance to be successful than non-credentialed wrestlers...

To say that "All American" doesn't mean much is like saying that a Jiu Jitsu Brown Belt doesn't mean much. Sure there are National Champions in wrestling and Black Belts in Jiu jitsu, and these are bigger achievements, but the other titles or ranks are a pretty big deal too.

Archived