Dana vs. the Common Fighter. Who should get paid?

Megasoup

A lot of people on this forum believe the fighters are getting underpaid. I agree with them. The UFC makes a ton of money off of each pay per view and many of these fighters, some of them veterens, make less than $10,000. The work that's put in to competing at this level, the sacrifices they must endure are breathtaking.

Some people feel that the UFC fighters are getting compensated adequately and believe that Dana and the Fertitta brothers have no obligation to their fighters.

It's easy to draw a parallel between this struggle and the plight of the worker. We've come a long way in this country since the days of child labor and zero regulations. Most people, not all, can expect to earn a decent wage and many have health care. But the fight continues.

A lot of people on this forum believe the fighters are getting underpaid. I agree with them. The UFC makes a ton of money off of each pay per view and many of these fighters' date=' some of them veterens, make less than $10,000. The work that's put in to competing at this level, the sacrifices they must endure are breathtaking.

Some people feel that the UFC fighters are getting compensated adequately and believe that Dana and the Fertitta brothers have no obligation to their fighters.

It's easy to draw a parallel between this struggle and the plight of the worker. We've come a long way in this country since the days of child labor and zero regulations. Most people, not all, can expect to earn a decent wage and many have health care. But the fight continues.[/quote']

The fighters get paid very good they get paid from there sponsers, if they get fight of the night or Ko of the night or submission of the night they get even more money. they get money to show up to the fight and they get more money if they win the fight now how is that not fair?? we dont want to them to get over paided and the ufc goes under because of it Dana white is in this for the long haul andi support that!

Not many are as interested in economic justice as when it used to be a matter of life or death. If it wasn't for the sacrifices of our forefathers, we would still be wage slaves without any hope for healthcare or a decent meal. Most people would not have a chance to enjoy retirement, they would work until they die or are too crippled to move, forcing their family to further struggle to provide for another hungry mouth, if they had the heart to do it.

So I must ask, should any one fighter, of which puts in the same amount of "breathtaking sacrifices" be able to make more than another? To what level should this observed? Is this not the "American way"? To be paid what you are worth? Who makes the decision of who is more valuable to the company? Perhaps the UFC should just instill communist ways and pay everyone equally?, but that would allow the State to just collect more...

What would be a perfect system?

Yeah' date=' you don't really get paid in the UFC unless you are a big name or win a fight bonus. Im sure that there are former fighters working in restaurants, etc.[/quote']

I don't know about that, they make a lot of money from sponsorships.

My cousin used to work with a fighter (at the fighters gym) that had 3 or 4 fights in the WEC (got cut after his first loss) and apparently he had some serious bank. Owned a huge house, as well as another house in his home country. Also had 1 or 2 really expensive cars. She said, and I quote, the guy "has more money than he knows what to do with". And it is pretty much all from fighting.

So I must ask' date=' should any one fighter, of which puts in the same amount of "breathtaking sacrifices" be able to make more than another? To what level should this observed? Is this not the "American way"? To be paid what you are worth? Who makes the decision of who is more valuable to the company? Perhaps the UFC should just instill communist ways and pay everyone equally?, but that would allow the State to just collect more...

What would be a perfect system?[/quote']

This is the question that has plagued mankind since it's origin. I don't know.

its hard to imagine how a fighter could make a living off of making 10 grand a fight every 4+ months and then you have lesnar whos probably going to make 500gs to get knocked out

This is an example of unequal distribution. The reality is that the 10 grand fighter doesn't draw as much interest as the 500 grand fighter, we all understand that. We also know that the 500 G's pales in comparison to the fortune made by the ones taking the financial risk, the owners. Clearly some should be compensated more than others, but such an unequal distribution of wealth is exactly why these debates have merit.

So I must ask' date=' should any one fighter, of which puts in the same amount of "breathtaking sacrifices" be able to make more than another? To what level should this observed? Is this not the "American way"? To be paid what you are worth? Who makes the decision of who is more valuable to the company? Perhaps the UFC should just instill communist ways and pay everyone equally?, but that would allow the State to just collect more...

Didnt you just close this thread.

or when a guy like Bisping makes 190k and his opponent 15k and Bisping couldnt even put him away?

What if brock wins by Split decision and banks 500k..... were as Carwin only gets 40K. I understand people are bigger draws but when one figher is making 10x as much as the guy he is facing it seems a bit unreasonable.

obviously its fair that some fighters make more than others. but the carwin brock fight for example is ridiculous. the fight is being billed as the biggest title fight in the UFC histroy and shane carwin who is the interim champ is only getting forty G's.

i don't think anyone could justify that.

obviously its fair that some fighters make more than others. but the carwin brock fight for example is ridiculous. the fight is being billed as the biggest title fight in the UFC histroy and shane carwin who is the interim champ is only getting forty G's.

Carwin's contract states that he is paid $40k per fight in show money. He is getting his contract rate. What is unfair about that?

Carwin's contract states that he is paid $40k per fight in show money. He is getting his contract rate. What is unfair about that?

oh, so because its his contract that makes it fair. when we're talking about fighters not getting paid ennough are we not basicaly talking about they're conracts anyway.

Could the fighters not become the risk takers? We live in an equal opportunity world... if they too want to make the money made by the owners' date=' then become an owner themselves.[/quote']

That's a very good point, it's almost flawless, which is more than could be said about most argument I could make against it.

Not everyone can create their own fight promotion. It defies the laws of physics. You must have multiple fighters simply to create a card. The closest thing to that would be a co-op. These don't usually work well in any industry because people, collectively, are stupid. Stupid doesn't compete well with brilliant.

Dana White is brilliant. This leads to another point I'd like to make. This idea of an equal opportunity world. It's an illusion, there is an uneven playing field out there. Let's go ahead and remove money from the equation, the idea that some people are born into wealth and most are not.

We still don't start out equally. Some people are born stupid, they have a difficult time learning to read, they have a difficult time with math. This continues through adulthood. They just aren't clever. Their decisions aren't affected by this. The way people judge them in interviews, during sales presentations or even during social situations that determine how well people do in life.

Some people are ugly, too. This can have devastating consequences. It determines so much, really.

If you were born stupid and ugly, you don't have a chance. This is why we need a safety net, this is why we need minimum wages and universal health care.

As far as healthy, normal people taking risks so that they can be independent and successful, the ugly truth is that most risks end in disaster, that is why they are called risks.

Exactly. When Brock came into the UFC he was already known by millions of people from his time with the WWE, amateur wrestling, and Minnesota Vikings. He brought a ton of fans with him. Since that was the case he signed a lucrative contract with the UFC.

Very few people knew who Shane Carwin was before he stepped into the octagon. He didn't bring a ton of fans with him like Brock. He signed a UFC contract that he was happy with at the time. It was considerably less than Brock's but comparable if not higher than other fighters' first contracts. If he keeps winning or putting on good fights then his fan base will grow as will his value to the company. I think Carwin will see a very nice raise added to his next contract.

oh' date=' so because its his contract that makes it fair. when we're talking about fighters not getting paid ennough are we not basicaly talking about they're conracts anyway.[/quote']

If Carwin didn't think $40k per fight was enough then he should've held out for more. But he signed the contract. You don't change the contract just because its a title fight. That would be no different than if Shane had lost his last few fights and would be on the undercard for 116 and the UFC said "you know what, that $40k was assuming you would be on the main card. Since you're on the prelims we're only paying you $5k even though your contract calls for $40k". You'd be up in arms if that happened, but that's essentially what you are suggesting, only in Carwin's favour and not the UFCs.

As to why the contracts for most fighters aren't higher, go see my answers in the other two threads about fighters pay on here. This has been discussed to death recently and I don't feel like repeating myself.

A lot of people on this forum believe the fighters are getting underpaid. I agree with them. The UFC makes a ton of money off of each pay per view and many of these fighters' date=' some of them veterens, make less than $10,000. The work that's put in to competing at this level, the sacrifices they must endure are breathtaking.

It's easy to draw a parallel between this struggle and the plight of the worker. We've come a long way in this country since the days of child labor and zero regulations. Most people, not all, can expect to earn a decent wage and many have health care. But the fight continues.[/quote']

So instead of joining the ranks of every person on this site about how the fighters aren't getting paid....offer a solution. How much would YOU pay each fighter.

I don't have ll day to read every MMA website so I don't know if anyone but Tito is *****ing about money. If so...who and sources please!?!?

Just to settle matters, I don't think it's tragic that some of these fighters don't get paid well, I was just trying to use fighter salaries as an analogy for something more real, something relevant to us all, our economic struggle. Unless you own a medium to large corporation, your struggle is our struggle, even if you don't know it.

So instead of joining the ranks of every person on this site about how the fighters aren't getting paid....offer a solution. How much would YOU pay each fighter.

I don't have ll day to read every MMA website so I don't know if anyone but Tito is *****ing about money. If so...who and sources please!?!?

$62,578.79 for everyone regardless of their record. They should all wear berets and train at the same gym.

I'm joking. This is not a debate about fighter's salaries. I, personally, would fight in the octagon for nothing more than compensation for my hospital bills.

Just to settle matters' date=' I don't think it's tragic that some of these fighters don't get paid well, I was just trying to use fighter salaries as an analogy for something more real, something relevant to us all, our economic struggle. Unless you own a medium to large corporation, your struggle is our struggle, even if you don't know it.[/quote']

Thank you for your concern, Karl Marx.

in my opinion, and thats all it is my opinion. once a fighter gets to be fighting in fights that are as big as this one, their should be some kind of big pay off. some kind of title fight bonus.

i also think every title fight should have a huge win bonus so the winner always gets paid more than the loser.

I really don't have a problem with most of the salaries but I do believe that every fighter that first starts out in the UFC should make a minimum of $10,000 a fight. The UFC should be able to easily afford this I believe. But honestly I haven't heard of anyone complaining about the pay.

in my opinion' date=' and thats all it is my opinion. once a fighter gets to be fighting in fights that are as big as this one, their should be some kind of big pay off. some kind of title fight bonus.

i also think every title fight should have a huge win bonus so the winner always gets paid more than the loser.[/quote']

Some contracts do have clauses that will increase the show money in the event of a title fight. I agree that it would be nice to see that become the standard. But until then, if a fighter does not negotiate that into their contract then they can't complain when it happens. Regardless, I'm sure Shane will see a nice raise in his next contract.

That's a very good point' date=' it's almost flawless, which is more than could be said about most argument I could make against it.

Not everyone can create their own fight promotion. It defies the laws of physics. You must have multiple fighters simply to create a card. The closest thing to that would be a co-op. These don't usually work well in any industry because people, collectively, are stupid. Stupid doesn't compete well with brilliant.

Dana White is brilliant. This leads to another point I'd like to make. This idea of an equal opportunity world. It's an illusion, there is an uneven playing field out there. Let's go ahead and remove money from the equation, the idea that some people are born into wealth and most are not.

We still don't start out equally. Some people are born stupid, they have a difficult time learning to read, they have a difficult time with math. This continues through adulthood. They just aren't clever. Their decisions aren't affected by this. The way people judge them in interviews, during sales presentations or even during social situations that determine how well people do in life.

Some people are ugly, too. This can have devastating consequences. It determines so much, really.

If you were born stupid and ugly, you don't have a chance. This is why we need a safety net, this is why we need minimum wages and universal health care.

As far as healthy, normal people taking risks so that they can be independent and successful, the ugly truth is that most risks end in disaster, that is why they are called risks.[/quote']

The UFC has that safety net. They have minimum wages in place, they have universal health care. You are right, risks can end in disaster, and that is why the people that are brave enough to take those chances should be able to reap the benefits.

I agree that a minimum should be established.

The UFC is the major leagues of the sport...and if you get there it should count for something.

So..

I say pay every fighter a minimum of 30 - 50,000.

And beyond THAT...it's up to you to be exciting/successful enough to garner sponsors etc. And to get paid more by the UFC...you need to become a "draw" and you too can make a million per fight.

So no...not EVERYONE should be given a million per fight. But there should be a minimum somewhere in the 30-50K range.

I ALSO think though..that there should be another minimum for title fights. If the UFC can put in a "champions clause" the champs and their challengers should be guaranteed a minimum for that title fight.

If you are in a title fight..you should be guaranteed 500,000. Period. If you are good enough to deserve a title shot..you should see some return on the years of work you put in. A fighters time at the pinnacle of this sport is very short relative to almost every other occupation. And they should, in that time, be able to secure a future for themselves particularly if they were good enough to warrant a title shot. You get a guy...wins say 4 fights...at 50,000 a piece. He's made 200,000. Give him a title fight...he makes another 500,000. He loses...but he's made 700,000. Fights another two fights and gets cut. He leaves with 800,000....over 7 fights. And that to me...is a respectable sum for a little over 2 years in the fight game at the elite level...and that's assuming this guy got that title shot. Is 800,000 enough to guarantee you never have to work again? Nothing is guaranteed.....but possibly...with that kind of money..you can invest and make that money work for you.

Cheers

-DR

The UFC has that safety net. They have minimum wages in place' date=' they have universal health care. You are right, risks can end in disaster, and that is why the people that are brave enough to take those chances should be able to reap the benefits.[/quote']

Truly, I have no problem with the way UFC is handling things, I was just using the UFC as an analogy.

Another big issue I see creeping up..if wages aren't negotiated to everyones satisfaction...is a fighters union.

The fighters COULD get to the point where they are demanding TOO MUCH money. And then we end up like boxing.

If the UFC does the right thing NOW...and allows your average fighter..over the course of say a 6 fight career with the UFC...to leave with something to show for it. We can avoid the potential downfalls of outrageous purse demands.

If it got like boxing...what if Lesnar was demanding 25 million and Carwin was demanding 20?

Well...we wouldn't see as many great fights as often as we do now...instead of getting say 10 fights per card...we'd see...3 or 4 nobodies..and 1 big fight. Every 6 months or so.

**** that. I don't want to see that happen. So we need to take care of these guys now...so it doesn't get to that point.

End of the day....if you fight with the UFC for 8 fights...you should walk away with AT LEAST 500,000. And really..that's low balling it alot..when you consider how many hundreds millions the UFC would make on the 8 PPV's this hypothetical fighter would fight on.

Cheers

-DR

The UFC is the major leagues of the sport...and if you get there it should count for something.

So..

I say pay every fighter a minimum of 30 - 50' date='000.

And beyond THAT...it's up to you to be exciting/successful enough to garner sponsors etc. And to get paid more by the UFC...you need to become a "draw" and you too can make a million per fight.

So no...not EVERYONE should be given a million per fight. But there should be a minimum somewhere in the 30-50K range.

I ALSO think though..that there should be another minimum for title fights. If the UFC can put in a "champions clause" the champs and their challengers should be guaranteed a minimum for that title fight.

If you are in a title fight..you should be guaranteed 500,000. Period. If you are good enough to deserve a title shot..you should see some return on the years of work you put in. A fighters time at the pinnacle of this sport is very short relative to almost every other occupation. And they should, in that time, be able to secure a future for themselves particularly if they were good enough to warrant a title shot. You get a guy...wins say 4 fights...at 50,000 a piece. He's made 200,000. Give him a title fight...he makes another 500,000. He loses...but he's made 700,000. Fights another two fights and gets cut. He leaves with 800,000....over 7 fights. And that to me...is a respectable sum for a little over 2 years in the fight game at the elite level...and that's assuming this guy got that title shot. Is 800,000 enough to guarantee you never have to work again? Nothing is guaranteed.....but possibly...with that kind of money..you can invest and make that money work for you.

Cheers

-DR[/quote']

In theory it sounds great, but now we are looking at, following your reasoning, payouts for fight cards starting at $2.1 million to $2.5 million for each card and that is only if they are employing minimum wage fighters in every card except the main event and that isn't including win bonuses. So in fact we are looking at payouots of $2.5 million to $3 million without FOTN bonuses. If we were to conclude that there would be many other fighters on the card who would presumably make much more than the minimum you sugest, we could easily see payrolls of $4-5 million per card. Do you think that is sustainable? this is the very thing that destroyed Affliction.

How can you justify those payouts when the card takes place in a small venue on tv, with no ppv buys coming in and very small gates?

So..

I say pay every fighter a minimum of 30 - 50' date='000.

Cheers

-DR[/quote']

What are you basing that 30-50k minimum on? Have you run the numbers to see whether the UFC could be profitable at that level?

Edit: Thanks Brewster!

I think the UFC could afford to give at least 35K to the main card fighters, win or lose. Of course Lesnar, GSP, BJ will make much more but come on. I can't believe Dana sometimes gives some of the little guys 10K when he's sitting on who knows how many millions. Dana could do more for the little guy.

In theory it sounds great' date=' but now we are looking at, following your reasoning, payouts for fight cards starting at $2.1 million to $2.5 million for each card and that is only if they are employing minimum wage fighters in every card except the main event and that isn't including win bonuses. So in fact we are looking at payouots of $2.5 million to $3 million without FOTN bonuses. If we were to conclude that there would be many other fighters on the card who would presumably make much more than the minimum you sugest, we could easily see payrolls of $4-5 million per card. Do you think that is sustainable? this is the very thing that destroyed Affliction.

How can you justify those payouts when the card takes place in a small venue on tv, with no ppv buys coming in and very small gates?[/quote']

What are you basing that 30-50k minimum on? Have you run the numbers to see whether the UFC could be profitable at that level?

Edit: Thanks Brewster!

WITHOUT A DOUBT..the UFC would still be INSANELY profitable at those levels. Affliction didn't even do 10% of the business the UFC regularly does. The gate alone at a UFC event would very often cover the majority of those expenses...and the PPV's would more than cover the rest leaving the company with several MILLION dollars profit after every event.

There is a REASON they went from over 20 million in debt to worth in excess of 1 BILLION dollars in the past couple of years.

In boxing..their BIGGEST cards..."Pac/Mayweather" do MORE PPV buys than UFC...FOR NOW. BUT...boxing does 1 or 2 big card a YEAR. The UFC...does cards that are at least half as successful as boxings biggest..EVERY MONTH.

And using the roughly 4 million number you mention per UFC PPV when applying my formula....then ONE SINGLE MAYWEATHER payout..is equal to roughly...TEN...UFC PPVs. AND THAT IS JUST MAYWEATHER. What about PAC?

You see?

UFC is insanely profitable..they could afford to pay these guys more than they do and IT'S STILL GROWING. Meaning..MORE AND MORE MONEY.

In 5 years the UFC could be worth 3 BILLION. Maybe more..who knows.

The numbers I cite are completely possible...and in many cases..low balled.

Cheers

-DR

WITHOUT A DOUBT..the UFC would still be INSANELY profitable at those levels. Affliction didn't even do 10% of the business the UFC regularly does. The gate alone at a UFC event would very often cover the majority of those expenses...and the PPV's would more than cover the rest leaving the company with several MILLION dollars profit after every event.

There is a REASON they went from over 20 million in debt to worth in excess of 1 BILLION dollars in the past couple of years.

In boxing..their BIGGEST cards..."Pac/Mayweather" do MORE PPV buys than UFC...FOR NOW. BUT...boxing does 1 or 2 big card a YEAR. The UFC...does cards that are at least half as successful as boxings biggest..EVERY MONTH.

And using the roughly 4 million number you mention per UFC PPV when applying my formula....then ONE SINGLE MAYWEATHER payout..is equal to roughly...TEN...UFC PPVs. AND THAT IS JUST MAYWEATHER. What about PAC?

You see?

UFC is insanely profitable..they could afford to pay these guys more than they do and IT'S STILL GROWING. Meaning..MORE AND MORE MONEY.

In 5 years the UFC could be worth 3 BILLION. Maybe more..who knows.

The numbers I cite are completely possible...and in many cases..low balled.

Cheers

-DR

To further DR's stance, UFC 100 made just under 100 MILLION Dollars in PPV revenue alone, the fighters (22 in total) for that card in total made 1.8 million dollars (not counting Brocks undisclosed PPV bonuses), that's only around 2% of the income PPV (not counting ticket sales and Commercial PPV buys).

Each fighter in the UFC is an independent contractor. They negotiate their contracts with the UFC - either personally or through their representatives. When the final contract offer is made it's up to both sides to decide whether or not to accept it. No one forces the fighters to fight. If a fighter is willing to accept 10K per fight that is his business. That 10k is not the only income that fighter has for that fight anyway. Also, every fighter that enters the ring has the opportunity to earn FOTN, KO, SUB bonuses.

The more exciting the fighter, whether it be through pure skill in the ring, or through personality, or controversy, the greater his appeal to the paying customer. Fighters who "put asses in the seats" at the events, and / or who help sell PPV, are of more value to the UFC. As such fighters like that can demand more in their contracts. There are plenty of good fighters but their are only a few that are a brand name unto themselves.

Not every fighter is of equal value.

All you egalitarian, communists seeking "economic justice" should start your promotion. That way you can pay your contract fighters whatever you want.

Helvyk mit uns!

To further DR's stance' date=' UFC 100 made just under 100 MILLION Dollars in PPV revenue alone, the fighters (22 in total) for that card in total made 1.8 million dollars (not counting Brocks undisclosed PPV bonuses), that's only around 2% of the income PPV (not counting ticket sales and Commercial PPV buys).[/quote']

The UFC sure as hell did not make $100 million in PPV revenue from UFC 100.

If the money wasn't there the fighters wouldn't be there. The fighters sign their own contracts. How does this company keep growing if Dana White and company didn't know what they were doing.

I just wish people would quit complaining about this. It's getting old

They didn't even come close to that number... again' date=' the UFC only collects around 40% of ppv revenue and then they have to pay out a percentage to the commission.[/quote']

I know, but I'm sure he was going by the math. Multiply the ppv sales by the price and it's near 100 mil, and then you ad the 5 mil for the live gate and it comes out to a little over 86 million. After a 40% reduction it still comes out to over 34 million, so the fighters could still have gotten paid more.

I know' date=' but I'm sure he was going by the math. Multiply the ppv sales by the price and it's near 100 mil, and then you ad the 5 mil for the live gate and it comes out to a little over 86 million. After a 40% reduction it still comes out to over 34 million, so the fighters could still have gotten paid more.[/quote']

Oh really, do me a favour then , start listing the expenses now...

You got it, lets start listing some:

Airfare for all fighter, corners and thirds

Hotel expenses for all fighters

Per diem for fighters

Salary for all UFC staff

Airfaire and hotels and perdiem for all UFC staff

Stadium rental 3-4 days

Production costs

Road crew

Commission payments including the percentage of gate and percentage of PPV revenue

Insurance for fighters

Insurance for venue

Policing costs

Advertising costs

Jet lease (Dana and Lorenzo each fly in style)

misc. such as food and beverage at venues, printing costs

Commission staff costs

taxes

there a few to start

And also how about we not use UFC 100 as a base seeing as it was the largest PPV in history of MMA and use an average for 2009. Just so you know, there were 8 million buys over 12 shows last year for an average of just over 650 000 buys. That is an average gross revenue of $13 000 000 per event in PPV revenue.

You got it' date=' lets start listing some:

Per diem for fighters

Salary for all UFC staff

Stadium rental 3-4 days

Production costs

Road crew

Commission payments including the percentage of gate and percentage of PPV revenue

Insurance for fighters

Insurance for venue

Policing costs

Advertising costs

Commission staff costs

taxes

there a few to start

And also how about we not use UFC 100 as a base seeing as it was the largest PPV in history of MMA and use an average for 2009. Just so you know, there were 8 million buys over 12 shows last year for an average of just over 650 000 buys. That is an average gross revenue of $13 000 000 per event in PPV revenue.[/quote']

And how much do each of those cost? A lot of the crews should be on annual salary, not an event to event thing, they could save on taxes that way. Also, they use resort venues, which may not charge rent at all if they count as live entertainment. Their should still be some money left over. And a ppv of 650,000 will make almost 30 mil, not 13. Plus live gate.

You got it' date=' lets start listing some:

Per diem for fighters

Salary for all UFC staff

Stadium rental 3-4 days

Production costs

Road crew

Insurance for fighters

Insurance for venue

Policing costs

Advertising costs

Commission staff costs

taxes

there a few to start

And also how about we not use UFC 100 as a base seeing as it was the largest PPV in history of MMA and use an average for 2009. Just so you know, there were 8 million buys over 12 shows last year for an average of just over 650 000 buys. That is an average gross revenue of $13 000 000 per event in PPV revenue.[/quote']

And those are just the production costs related to a specific event. The UFC also has overhead to cover for offices and staff around the world, the expense they incur in trying to open MMA in new territories such as NY and Ontario, and other costs just to keep the machine rolling that they have to pay whether they put on an event or not. I love how people just take UFC 100's buyrate, multiply it by $50 and say that the UFC is screwing their fighters.

And for the guy earlier who said that the UFC has gone from being $20M in debt to being worth several billion, did you know they now have debt of over $300M? Zuffa had to eat a lot of costs from 2001-2005 until TUF increased the popularity enough that the PPV events actually made money. Financing that debt is not cheap.

And how much do each of those cost? A lot of the crews should be on annual salary' date=' not an event to event thing, they could save on taxes that way. Also, they use resort venues, which may not charge rent at all if they count as live entertainment. Their should still be some money left over. And a ppv of 650,000 will make almost 30 mil, not 13. Plus live gate.[/quote']

How are you calculating that? My math is:

(650,000 x $50) x 0.4 = $13M.

The UFC does not receive 100% of the PPV revenue. 60% of it goes to the PPV carrier, the UFC gets the remaining 40% (out of which they also must pay the commission's take).

Archived