Who the hell cares about James Toney and why are people hyping him?

ThirstForBLOOD

Toney is receiving "hype" because he is one of the very few legitimate boxers or mma fighters who are actually crossing over to fight in the others' sport. Both boxers and mma fighters and promoters of both have talked big games claiming to be the "better" sport. Toney is putting his money where his (big) mouth is.

Give him credit for giving it a shot, esp. at such a high level for his first fight.

Toney is receiving "hype" because he is one of the very few legitimate boxers or mma fighters who are actually crossing over to fight in the others' sport. Both boxers and mma fighters and promoters of both have talked big games claiming to be the "better" sport. Toney is putting his money where his (big) mouth is.

Give him credit for giving it a shot' date=' esp. at such a high level for his first fight.[/quote']

Can't argue with that. But if his intentions were just for pure observation, such as testing his skills to see if he could maybe do MMA, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

If you don't know who James Toney is, then you should educate yourself. Go watch some of his Youtube vids.

Randy vs Toney is considered a big fight because it shows previous MMA superstar vs a previous Boxing superstar.

The implications are so obvious, i feel stupid pointing them out.

He's an old boxer about to fight a guy who will clearly take him down and **** him up on the ground. Jesus christ' date=' stop talking about him, he is going to look horrible against Couture and then he'll be cut.[/quote']

People are excited because this is the first time a real athelete has taken up MMA. True, he;s an old man, but he's still a world champ boxer.

+1

As for OP's question' date=' because none of us like a loud-mouth boxer with the agenda of "I'm gonna beat one of their legends so that I can tell everyone that boxing is harder than MMA and that MMA fighters are a bunch of losers."[/quote']

Is that an actual quote?Link please.

Archived