Sign in to follow this  
Tieken52

2010 = Biggest Year of Upsets since 2007, maybe ever?

Fabricio Werdum's victory of Fedor this weekend got me thinking about Upsets in the UFC. Everyone remembers the upsets in 2007. Gonzaga over Cro Cop, Couture over Sylvia, Serra over GSP, and so on and so forth. But I start thinking about this year's upsets. I mean there is plenty so lets take you thorugh a timeline of sorts. The Biggest Upsets of 2010 in the UFC, so far.

UFC 109:

-Chael Sonnen's unanimous decision victory over Nate Marquardt. Nate was actually just suppose to smash Chael so he could fight Silva for the title, but not so fast my friends. Chael used wrestling and his ability to control the fight to actually get a title shot himself.

UFC 110:

-George Sotiropoulos' unanimous decision victory over Joe Stevenson. The hometown Sotiropoulos was actually just suppose to be a beatdown on Stevenson road back to a title fight, but Geogre used his very underrated jiu-jitsu skills to control the fight for three rounds, creating his own road to the title.

UFC 112:

-Frankie Edgar's unanimous decision victory over BJ Penn. Clearly the biggest upset of the year in the UFC. BJ Penn's long reign in the Lightweight division was stopped but none other then undersized, 5'8 Frankie Edgar. Edgar used mixture of takedowns and combos to beat BJ Penn. But we'll see if this was an upset meant to be at UFC 118.

UFC 114:

-Mike Russow's 3rd round KO victory over Todd Duffee. True dominance displayed by Todd Duffee...until about halfway through the 2nd round. Thats when Duffee slowly started gassing and at 2:35 of the 3rd round Russow through this winding right at Duffee creating one the biggest comebacks in recent memory in the UFC

-John Hathaway's unanimous decision victory over Diego Sanchez. The 22 year-old Hathaway made his first impact in the UFC with a decision victory of the returning welterweight, Diego Sanchez. Hathaway used his jiu-jitsu and boxing tack ticks to pull off the upset over the Ultimate Fighter winner.

UFC 115:

-Martin Kampmann's unanimous decision victory over Paulo Thiago. Some people actually might not call this an upset, but considering how Kampmann beat Thiago, it was clearly something of an upset. Kampmann, a usual striker, actually used his jiu-jitsu skills to beat the BJJ Black Belt. Kampmann used his aggersive ground game to pick up a decision victory over contender Paulo Thaigo.

If I forgot something, give it to us!!!

Also maybe post an upset you wish to see!!!

Fabricio Werdum's victory of Fedor this weekend got me thinking about Upsets in the UFC. Everyone remembers the upsets in 2007. Gonzaga over Cro Cop' date=' Couture over Sylvia, Serra over GSP, and so on and so forth. But I start thinking about this year's upsets. I mean there is plenty so lets take you thorugh a timeline of sorts. The Biggest Upsets of 2010 in the [b']UFC[/b], so far.

UFC 109:

-Chael Sonnen's unanimous decision victory over Nate Marquardt. Nate was actually just suppose to smash Chael so he could fight Silva for the title, but not so fast my friends. Chael used wrestling and his ability to control the fight to actually get a title shot himself.

UFC 110:

-George Sotiropoulos' unanimous decision victory over Joe Stevenson. The hometown Sotiropoulos was actually just suppose to be a beatdown on Stevenson road back to a title fight, but Geogre used his very underrated jiu-jitsu skills to control the fight for three rounds, creating his own road to the title.

UFC 112:

-Frankie Edgar's unanimous decision victory over BJ Penn. Clearly the biggest upset of the year in the UFC. BJ Penn's long reign in the Lightweight division was stopped but none other then undersized, 5'8 Frankie Edgar. Edgar used mixture of takedowns and combos to beat BJ Penn. But we'll see if this was an upset meant to be at UFC 118.

UFC 114:

-Mike Russow's 3rd round KO victory over Todd Duffee. True dominance displayed by Todd Duffee...until about halfway through the 2nd round. Thats when Duffee slowly started gassing and at 2:35 of the 3rd round Russow through this winding right at Duffee creating one the biggest comebacks in recent memory in the UFC

-John Hathaway's unanimous decision victory over Diego Sanchez. The 22 year-old Hathaway made his first impact in the UFC with a decision victory of the returning welterweight, Diego Sanchez. Hathaway used his jiu-jitsu and boxing tack ticks to pull off the upset over the Ultimate Fighter winner.

UFC 115:

-Martin Kampmann's unanimous decision victory over Paulo Thiago. Some people actually might not call this an upset, but considering how Kampmann beat Thiago, it was clearly something of an upset. Kampmann, a usual striker, actually used his jiu-jitsu skills to beat the BJJ Black Belt. Kampmann used his aggersive ground game to pick up a decision victory over contender Paulo Thaigo.

All true.

Hopefully there are quite a few other upsets (if you will)

I don't know if I'd call the Hathaway vs Sanchez fight an upset. Diego's skills seem to have become stagnent long before his fight with Hathaway.

Well, I'd have to say Machida vs Shogun. Seemed at the time everyone was thinking Machida would absolutely destroy Shogun. Then comes the fight, Shogun loses controversly...and we all know what happened the 2nd fight =P Seemed like no one gave Shogun a chance in the 1st fight! I even remember the poll on UFC.com heavily favoring Machida!

Fabricio Werdum's victory of Fedor this weekend got me thinking about Upsets in the UFC. Everyone remembers the upsets in 2007. Gonzaga over Cro Cop' date=' Couture over Sylvia, Serra over GSP, and so on and so forth. But I start thinking about this year's upsets. I mean there is plenty so lets take you thorugh a timeline of sorts. The Biggest Upsets of 2010 in the [b']UFC[/b], so far.

UFC 109:

UFC 110:

UFC 112:

UFC 114:

UFC 115:

good thread well written.

UFC 109:

UFC 110:

UFC 112:

UFC 114:

UFC 115:

very good list of upsets yes diego vs hathaway was an upset everyone expected diego to demolsih hathaway, i expected thiago over kampman, todd duffe got ****y and got put to sleep,

the next upset will be Brock Tkoing Carwin yes it is a upset cuz everyone is going for carwin!

Nice thread. I like the fights you chose. I would also add Stout beating Lauzon at 108 as a big upset of the year. Spot on though in calling the Penn vs. Edgar fight the biggest upset all year. Penn was like a -1000 on some sites.

Strikeforce: Nashville had 3 upsets imo

Henderson losing to shields was shocking.

King Mo defeating a highly ranked Gegard to take the title.

Shinya Aoki was rated a top 3 in LW on my sites and losing to melendez was a huge upset.

Shinya Aoki was rated a top 3 in LW on my sites and losing to melendez was a huge upset.

This

I agree - 3 upsets in 3 title fights. Very interesting event (if not all that well paced). And let's not forget last Saturday when Werdum won what I would consider to be one of the biggest upsets I've seen in MMA. Strikeforce has been insane this year.

All in all, the OP is dead on. 2010 has been shocking in terms of the upsets, both in quantity and in the caliber.

Gegard Mousasi losing to King Mo was pretty extraordinary considering the hype following him at the time. Even though he technically lost the fight, I would have to count Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs Jason Brilz as a huge upset from 114.

Well' date=' I'd have to say Machida vs Shogun. Seemed at the time everyone was thinking Machida would absolutely destroy Shogun. Then comes the fight, Shogun loses controversly...and we all know what happened the 2nd fight =P Seemed like no one gave Shogun a chance in the 1st fight! I even remember the poll on UFC.com heavily favoring Machida![/quote']

That wouldn't be considered an upset since Machida "won" and he wasn't as heavily favored in the 2nd fight, so nice try.

very good list of upsets yes diego vs hathaway was an upset everyone expected diego to demolsih hathaway' date=' i expected thiago over kampman, todd duffe got ****y and got put to sleep,

the next upset will be Brock Tkoing Carwin yes it is a upset cuz everyone is going for carwin![/quote']

You apparently aren't a betting guy cause Carwin is the under dog in this fight. Only some of the UFC nerd Brock haters make him seem like the underdog in UFC polls. Legit money betters clearly see Brock taking this one.

Gegard Mousasi losing to King Mo was pretty extraordinary considering the hype following him at the time. Even though he technically lost the fight' date=' I would have to count[b'] Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs Jason Brilz as a huge upset from 114[/b].

Nog was favorited to win in this fight, so technically not an upset that he "won" and I do use that term lightly lol

I wouldn't call Melendez defeating Aoki an upset.

I've been saying for years that the LW's that fight overseas' date=' are way overrated.[/quote']

Ahh its still an upset, and just because you think they are overrated doesn't mean **** because clearly when you see someone ranked in the top 3 and a guy that can't crack the top 10 in the octagon and that guy wins that just might be the definition of an upset...

IM actually glad that Machida has been kept out of this thread almost entirely. Everyone knew what Machida had coming to him the 2nd time. The 1rst fight only the most knowledgible knew how Shogun would perform Good post by the Op.

The biggest upset of the year (decade' date=' ever?) wasn't in the UFC.[/quote']

This thread isnt limited to the UFC

Hendo Nearly knocking out Shields twice in the opening round then getting pwned on the ground for a loss was epic upset

King Mo upsetting Mousasi via lay n pray was sad Upset

Aoki losing is not a surprise. Most asians are overhyped until they fight someone good in the states.

Ahh its still an upset' date=' and just because you think they are overrated doesn't mean **** because clearly when you see someone ranked in the top 3 and a guy that can't crack the top 10 in the octagon and that guy wins that just might be the definition of an upset...[/quote']

And that's the problem with most 'fans'..

They looks at rankings on Crapdog or some other MMA site where people claim to 'know everything', and they take those 'rankings' are correct.

The fact of the matter is this..

Most MMA sites and rankings are created by people who think that they know everything about this sport, and they claim that they've been watching it since Jesus was in diapers. These are the same people who still cling to Pride and anything Pride-related, and because of that, they think the UFC is a sub-par organization.

Guys like BJ Penn, Kenny Florian, Frankie Edgar, Gray Maynard, etc.. really are the best in the world, but these so-called 'know-it-alls' seem to think that victories over guys like Joachim Hansen, Eddie Alvarez, and Tatsuya Kawajiri mean more than victories over guys like Clay Guida, Joe Stevenson or Roger Huerta.

It's complete bullsh*t, and anybody who REALLY watches this sport, should be capable of coming up with their own rankings.

Anybody who ranks Fedor any higher than #5, or even HAS Brett Rogers on their list (at HW), obviously can't take their head out of Pride's defunct **** long enough to realise that the UFC really does have the best fighters in the world.