Sign in to follow this  
Playcircus

Boxing is superior to MMA.

In boxing, you have great fights between two pound for pound ranked fighters and people buy it. Case in point: DLH vs Mayweather. It doesn't get any better than that and people appreciated it buy shelling out the cash to see it.

This is not the case for MMA. In MMA, you have huge fights like GSP vs Thiago Alves. It's a huge fight between two pound for pound ranked fighters. The problem is, that's not interesting to MMA fans. That fight got bumped down for Brock vs Mir, which was not even the 20th most relevant fight the UFC could have put together. The most laughable thing about it is that that was the highest selling PPV in MMA history--headlined by a fight that wasn't between two of the best fighters in the sport.

MMA fans would rather see an amateurish brawl between two celebrities than a world class fight between two of the most incredible athletes the sport has to offer.

The problem comes from the fans, not the sport itself. MMA has the worst fanbase of any sport. They don't know what they're watching, they don't appreciate martial arts, and they are completely ignorant to the purpose of sports.

How do MMA promoters appease ignorant, uneducated, and thoughtless fans? They can only give them what they want to see, which is not MMA, but celebrity brawls. That's where the Kimbos, Caranos, Lesnars, and Pudzianowskis come in. Brock Lesnar is a popular fighter, but clearly not the best, as evident by his amateurish performance at UFC 116. Fedor would have killed him.

Boxing fans appreciate the best fighting the best, and that's what makes the most money on PPV. In MMA, the best fighting the best does not sell. The youtube celebrity vs the WWE celebrity is what sells.

MMA fans are drunk, ignorant, rich, white people who can't get enough of mohawks, tattoos, and sloppy brawling. How many non-white men do you see whenever the UFC broadcast pans across the crowd? Boxing fans appreciate the art of combat, which is the point of sports. Boxing is superior to MMA.

Then, you have boxing.

Where 2 men stand in front of each other punching each other in the face, and call it "fighting".

Then' date=' you have boxing.

Where 2 men stand in front of each other punching each other in the face, and call it "fighting".[/quote']

Don't forget the two pillows in their hands.

Don't forget the two pillows in their hands.

I respect the gloves.

Hell, K-1 uses them, but what I don't respect though is the lack of dimension in boxing.

Any man can punch, so boxing becomes a matter of "Who hits faster, who hit harder".

Then, all the top guys are able to avoid punches.

Amazing stuff man :rolleyes:

MMA takes EVERY aspect of fighting into account, not "who can hit the other in the face first".

Let's take the "WWE celebrity" for example... he just choked out a man and we thought he had no ground game.

In boxing' date=' you have great fights between two pound for pound ranked fighters and people buy it. Case in point: DLH vs Mayweather. It doesn't get any better than that and people appreciated it buy shelling out the cash to see it.

This is not the case for MMA. In MMA, you have huge fights like GSP vs Thiago Alves. It's a huge fight between two pound for pound ranked fighters. The problem is, that's not interesting to MMA fans. That fight got bumped down for Brock vs Mir, which was not even the 20th most relevant fight the UFC could have put together. The most laughable thing about it is that that was the highest selling PPV in MMA history--headlined by a fight that wasn't between two of the best fighters in the sport.

MMA fans would rather see an amateurish brawl between two celebrities than a world class fight between two of the most incredible athletes the sport has to offer.

The problem comes from the fans, not the sport itself. MMA has the worst fanbase of any sport. They don't know what they're watching, they don't appreciate martial arts, and they are completely ignorant to the purpose of sports.

How do MMA promoters appease ignorant, uneducated, and thoughtless fans? They can only give them what they want to see, which is not MMA, but celebrity brawls. That's where the Kimbos, Caranos, Lesnars, and Pudzianowskis come in. Brock Lesnar is a popular fighter, but clearly not the best, as evident by his amateurish performance at UFC 116. Fedor would have killed him.

Boxing fans appreciate the best fighting the best, and that's what makes the most money on PPV. In MMA, the best fighting the best does not sell. The youtube celebrity vs the WWE celebrity is what sells.

[b']MMA fans are drunk, ignorant, rich, white people who can't get enough of mohawks, tattoos, and sloppy brawling. How many non-white men do you see whenever the UFC broadcast pans across the crowd? Boxing fans appreciate the art of combat, which is the point of sports. Boxing is superior to MMA[/b].

you are racist and pretty much a c*unt for that last paragraph

im not rich , im not ignorant ill admit im white and personally i could not care what they do with there hair or there bodys i have tattoos so what???

MMA is still growing where as Boxing has been around alot longer and yet still the more popular sport but i think not for long

quite Frankly just for that last comment it proves you are a idiot quite frankly i was reading and was preparing for a comment back but for that last paragraph it proves how ignorant you are.

Personnaly i think MMA is superior to boxing as MMA covers all aspects of martial arts where as boxing is just boxing i find it alot more exciting personally so what? that means im ignorant???

you sir are an ****

I appreciate MMA, but not the sport. I come from a wrestling background and one of my favorite fighters in Ricardo Arona, a lay and pray artist. That's not the issue.

MMA as a sport is inferior to boxing.

In boxing' date=' you have great fights between two pound for pound ranked fighters and people buy it. Case in point: DLH vs Mayweather. It doesn't get any better than that and people appreciated it buy shelling out the cash to see it.

MMA fans are drunk, ignorant, rich, white people who can't get enough of mohawks, tattoos, and sloppy brawling. How many non-white men do you see whenever the UFC broadcast pans across the crowd? Boxing fans appreciate the art of combat, which is the point of sports. Boxing is superior to MMA.[/quote']

Good first post. You make some seriously legitimate points regarding the unrefined fanbase of MMA. The reason there are so many arguments about ranking in MMA, is because fights are put on based on popularity contests, not, as you say, between the true best fighters in a given division. And as long as the typical MMA fan continues to approve of this mentality and is okay with it, it will never change.

Anyone on here who disses boxing doesn't have a clue what they're talking about either. It's still the sweet science for a reason.

And it's a testament to the sport that guys can still rake 20 million a fight, when it's exposure has taken a massive hit over the last 5 years.

You're gonna get flamed terribly here, but I know what you're trying to say, and I couldn't agree more - the 16 year old scrubs will only read 2 or 3 sentences, and go berserk without comprehending what it is you're saying.

Been dealing with this for 8,000 posts.....:)

I appreciate MMA' date=' but not the sport. I come from a wrestling background and one of my favorite fighters in Ricardo Arona, a lay and pray artist. That's not the issue.

MMA as a sport is inferior to boxing.[/quote']

Completely agree. Most fans here think it's the pinnacle of combat sport, when in actuality it's nothing more than a trained for school brawl.

One point I'll make though, is that boxing has been around for hundreds of years, refining itself in the process.

MMA has really only been in existence for 20 years or so, and may need a much longer time to refine itself as a true sport.

Good first post. You make some seriously legitimate points regarding the unrefined fanbase of MMA. The reason there are so many arguments about ranking in MMA' date=' is because fights are put on based on popularity contests, not, as you say, between the true best fighters in a given division. And as long as the typical MMA fan continues to approve of this mentality and is okay with it, it will never change.

Anyone on here who disses boxing doesn't have a clue what they're talking about either. It's still the sweet science for a reason.

And it's a testament to the sport that guys can still rake 20 million a fight, when it's exposure has taken a massive hit over the last 5 years.

You're gonna get flamed terribly here, but I know what you're trying to say, and I couldn't agree more - the 16 year old scrubs will only read 2 or 3 sentences, and go berserk without comprehending what it is you're saying.

Been dealing with this for 8,000 posts.....:)[/quote']

Really though?

He's commenting on the lack of respect of the fans of each sport... not the sport itself.

That's completely different but even then we can talk about the lack of respect that boxing fans have for other combat sports.

MMA as a whole is "the art of combat" as he so eloquently put it.

Sorry, but with MMA around, it's hard to say the same for boxing.

Is boxing still the "bigger" sport? Hell yeah. Even on the world stage.

Is boxing still the "superior" sport? Hmm.

Anyways... out to lunch lol

MMA fans are drunk, ignorant, rich, white people who can't get enough of mohawks, tattoos, and sloppy brawling. How many non-white men do you see whenever the UFC broadcast pans across the crowd? Boxing fans appreciate the art of combat, which is the point of sports. Boxing is superior to MMA.[/quote']

i bet you this guy if from the strikeforce forums attacking us

banana_bread.jpg

Banana Bread

Thank you to Exodus9mm for the intelligent reply.

The point of sports is for the best to fight the best, and that's where MMA fails. The best do fight the best, but no one cares. Anderson Silva does not sell PPVs and that is a very sad thing. Brock Lesnar is considered the most purchasable fighter, and he is clearly not the best in the sport.

I view boxing as like drawing a circle in the sand and the winner is the one who comes out alive, and MMA is like, "you bring your army and I'll bring mine". I like them both as martial arts, but most MMA fans do not see it that way.

They want sloppy, skill-less brawls and Hollywood stereotypes, and promoters have no choice but to give it to them. Boxing has had longer to clean this stuff up, but MMA also didn't take long to ruin itself with politics.

Really though?

He's commenting on the lack of respect of the fans of each sport... not the sport itself.

That's completely different but even then we can talk about the lack of respect that boxing fans have for other combat sports.

MMA as a whole is "the art of combat" as he so eloquently put it.

Sorry' date=' but with MMA around, it's hard to say the same for boxing.

Is boxing still the "bigger" sport? Hell yeah. Even on the world stage.

Is boxing still the "superior" sport? Hmm.

Anyways... out to lunch lol[/quote']

Some good points here. Keep this in mind though:

MMA, by its very definition, will always be diluted combat, even though it encompasses more elements of a potential fight. These guys have NOWHERE near the time or ability to master all the disciplines of MMA to make it a true, consistant sport.

How many elite strikers do you see in MMA? Hardly any. Even Fedor is not a great technical striker, but he looks superior because of the defensive mediocrity of the majority of his opponents.

The reason Fedor has been so successful, and recognized as the greatest in the sport, is because he has been one of the only people to look so refined in the many areas of MMA. But if you step back and look at it objectively, he's still a very sloppy fighter, especially compared to true elite strikers in the world.

The OP is right about MMA's fanbase. They've deluded themselves about some of the glaring realities of MMA as a legitimate sport.

guess what idiot, you can box in a mma fight you cant do all the other stuff in a boxing match, mma is a real fight. boxing is 1 dimensial. and if 2 mma fighters want to box, guess what they can!

The point of sports is for the best to fight the best' date=' and that's where MMA fails. The best do fight the best, but no one cares. Anderson Silva does not sell PPVs and that is a very sad thing. Brock Lesnar is considered the most purchasable fighter, and he is clearly not the best in the sport.

I view boxing as like drawing a circle in the sand and the winner is the one who comes out alive, and MMA is like, "you bring your army and I'll bring mine". I like them both as martial arts, but most MMA fans do not see it that way.

They want sloppy, skill-less brawls and Hollywood stereotypes, and promoters have no choice but to give it to them. Boxing has had longer to clean this stuff up, but MMA also didn't take long to ruin itself with politics.[/quote']

you would have got an intelligent response for me and i said i was going to up until that very last paragraph

i see your points and have a good knowledge on the case

but that very last paragraph ruined what would have been an excellent post IMO

Excellent post!

So you guys are trying to feed us ******** because mixed martial artists don't have the time to try and perfect ONE area of their game so it's not truly a sport? GTFO.

Martial arts have been around long before "boxing."

Boxing is where the best fighters go.

yea ok, carwin would ko any boxer. the best are going mma. mike tyson even said mma is better than boxing because its more exciting and real

you would have got an intelligent response for me and i said i was going to up until that very last paragraph

i see your points and have a good knowledge on the case

but that very last paragraph ruined what would have been an excellent post IMO

You can't disagree with the last paragraph. It's absolutely true.

This is what MMA fans like:

35jw1vt.jpg

That's just terrible.

i dont i enjoy the ground game alot better than a stand up war wayy better when two good BJJ specialists get into the octagon i get really excited but i would not be able to just watch a BJJ as i like the fact of getting to uses all tools in the fight the striking and grappling alike

I guess American football isn't a real sport either because they use their hands? That's the same ****in' **** you guys are trying to say about MMA in this thread and it's rediculous.

The point of sports is for the best to fight the best' date=' and that's where MMA fails. The best do fight the best, but no one cares. Anderson Silva does not sell PPVs and that is a very sad thing. Brock Lesnar is considered the most purchasable fighter, and he is clearly not the best in the sport.

They want sloppy, skill-less brawls and Hollywood stereotypes, and promoters have no choice but to give it to them. Boxing has had longer to clean this stuff up, but MMA also didn't take long to ruin itself with politics.[/quote']

One of MMA's biggest downfall is the creation of organizations (UFC, Strikeforce, etc.) that house massive stables of fighters. By allowing this to occur, fans are keeping the legitimacy of the sport in the hands of the promoter, who really doesn't care because he's more interested in the dollars and cents. The average fan doesn't understand this though and generally reply with such nonsense like "F you 9mm, Brock Lesnar would demolish any boxer in history!!!".

The natural flow of observable top talent fighting each other (boxing) has been sorely overlooked in MMA, and will continue to be so until people get it through their heads, that these organizations, and the bullsh*t hype they talk about, are done away with.

So you guys are trying to feed us ******** because mixed martial artists don't have the time to try and perfect ONE area of their game so it's not truly a sport? GTFO.

Yes, MMA is like going to a store that sells everything. Nothing in the store is of quality and no one in the store specializes in one item. They try to act like they know about every item when all they know is the basics.

You can't disagree with the last paragraph. It's absolutely true.

i can and will argue with the last paragraph especially the first bit

sure its a mainly white audience i will not argue that but that first bit its ****ing retarded

So American football isn't a sport because they use their entire body instead of just kicking with their legs? This kind of thinking is straight dumb. You guys are morons.

yea ok' date=' carwin would ko any boxer. the best are going mma. mike tyson even said mma is better than boxing because its more exciting and real[/quote']

Did you just say Carwin would beat any HW boxer in a boxing match?

Exhibit A, the delusional MMA fan.......

rich white people?? lol lmao you stupid ****. mayweather is a ****ing *****. gsp would destroy him. mayweather said the samething you did this is pry mayweather. you dont know ****. mma contains boxing if your in a street there is no boxing rules. mma is a real fight you can box in mma. this is not even an argument. your showing your stupididty.

One question....How many MMA fans are on boxing websites trying to convince fans that MMA is better?

I'll answer that for you. NONE....because we don't have too. Keep trying lady!

DonKing.jpg

Did you just say Carwin would beat any HW boxer in a boxing match?

Exhibit A' date=' the delusional MMA fan.......[/quote']

He said he could knockout them out. Don't put words in his mouth and use it to prove your point when he didn't say that.

Boxing is the oldest recognized form of 'martial art' in history. Grab a brain, noob.

yea ok' date=' carwin would ko any boxer. the best are going mma. mike tyson even said mma is better than boxing because its more exciting and real[/quote']

Sorry sonny but when a 10 year old shows fighting ability he gets put into boxing where there is a complete amateur system in pllace to develop him right up through Giolden Gloves and into the Olympics.

Anybody who gets put into MMA gets put there because they can;t do anything else.

That is the reality.

And having Mike Tyson on your side only proves my point.

Boxers laugh at MMA my friend.

He said he could knockout them out. Don't put words in his mouth and use it to prove your point when he didn't say that.

He said WOULD ko them. Learn how to read.

Sorry sonny but when a 10 year old shows fighting ability he gets put into boxing where there is a complete amateur system in pllace to develop him right up through Giolden Gloves and into the Olympics.

Anybody who gets put into MMA gets put there because they can;t do anything else.

That is the reality.

And having Mike Tyson on your side only proves my point.

Boxers laugh at MMA my friend.

Why have so many Golden Glove winners entered MMA and gotten knocked out then? Please, fill us in.

Boxing is the oldest recognized form of 'martial art' in history. Grab a brain' date=' noob.[/quote']

Please, don't make things up to try and support your trolling here. For a 30+ year old man you're sure good at acting like a *****.

He said WOULD ko them. Learn how to read.

He said he would knock them out. He never said, word for word, what you typed in your post. So, no, you learn how to read, ****.

well in all honestly it comes down to personal preference and nothing else

it depends what you are looking for in the sport for me i like the fact that in MMA we can mix up lots of different fighter in all aspects

and Boxing is just punching yet is very strategic too as in MMA

but it all comes down to personal preference

I don't care if MMA fighters can't box, there are good kickboxers and grapplers, and the lack of boxing is just because boxers can't make money or earn greater prestige in MMA. That's all fine. But what Anderson Silva does is incredible, Shogun is an exceptional human being, and GSP's abilities are uncanny. Watch them and pay for them, don't watch and pay for Brock vs Frank Mir.

When the best fighters sell PPVs, I'll give MMA all the credit for learning from a lot of boxing's mistakes, but MMA has bigger problems than too many titles and money disputes galore. It's not a legit sport right now, it's a spectacle.

There are great fighters and great athletes in MMA, I'm not saying there aren't. I'm saying you don't appreciate them, you like Kimbo. We don't have Kimbos in boxing, they get weeded out real quick, because you actually have to prove yourself and polish your technique before you main event a PPV and make millions of dollars.

You wouldn't have amateurish main events like Brock vs Carwin if you had them prove themselves consistently before they fight for world titles, then I wouldn't be so critical.

Wait wait wait. So the way the fights are ranked on the card makes boxing superior to MMA? wow... what an irrelevent statement.

MMA is a young sport compared to boxing it yet has to be embraced by more people. When they had Brock defending his belt for the 1st time many people who don't watch the UFC on a regular basis bought the PPV just because they wanted to watch Brock's fight. If you can't understand that it's about trying to attract more people to the sport for the moment you're kinda hopeless. Wether the most technical fighters fight at the beginning of the card or at the end doesn't change anything. As long as we see the fight.

Please' date=' don't make things up to try and support your trolling here. For a 30+ year old man you're sure good at acting like a *****.[/quote']

Are you denying my factual claim, that boxing is the recognized oldest form of combat in the history of man?

I think you should do some reading before you look any dumber.....

Except for the watered down talent, fixed fights. tomato can records and all around pompous attitude...Yeah...Great sport. Nobody cares about boxing and their 19 belt for every weight class. Coruption ids the heavt weight champ in baxing. Glad you high on that. Stay there.

Some good points here. Keep this in mind though:

MMA' date=' by its very definition, will always be diluted combat, even though it encompasses more elements of a potential fight. These guys have NOWHERE near the time or ability to master all the disciplines of MMA to make it a true, consistant sport.

How many elite strikers do you see in MMA? Hardly any. Even Fedor is not a great technical striker, but he looks superior because of the defensive mediocrity of the majority of his opponents.

The reason Fedor has been so successful, and recognized as the greatest in the sport, is because he has been one of the only people to look so refined in the many areas of MMA. But if you step back and look at it objectively, he's still a very sloppy fighter, especially compared to true elite strikers in the world.

The OP is right about MMA's fanbase. They've deluded themselves about some of the glaring realities of MMA as a legitimate sport.[/quote']

Back from lunch.

There's a reason for this though.

Want elite stand-up? K-1 and boxing are the thing for you.

Want elite ground game? Watch a grappling tournament.

MMA is not a sport for specialists.

The thing about this "diluted" sport is that it doesn't discriminate, and one can still be successful although they are not necessarily "elite" in one area of the game.

Let's take the prime example of Demian Maia. He's an elite BJJ artist but he's been KO'd and decision'd because he couldn't bring men into his dimension. Even so, we've seen improved technical stand-up from him because of the need to be well-rounded... not to test his specialty.

Then we'll take the example of Ray Mercer. He blasted former HW champ Tim Sylvia... and subsequently got beat down by... Kimbo Slice. Well.. that was a bad example. Anyways we'll take the example of Art Jimmerson then. He is famous to UFC/MMA fans for tapping to Royce Gracie while just lying under him, and coming into a fight with one boxing glove. I know this is early UFC and he didn't know any better, but his lack of knowledge of any area of the game (although an elite striker) proved to be his downfall.

I'll agree with your last sentence though.

He said he would knock them out. He never said' date=' word for word, what you typed in your post. So, no, you learn how to read, ****.[/quote']

I paraphrased exactly what he said. Quit reaching at straws......

Says the guy who thinks "martial arts" have been around longer than boxing.....LOL, you might as well leave this conversation, it's too far above your knowledge.

Are you denying my factual claim' date=' that boxing is the recognized oldest form of combat in the history of man?

I think you should do some reading before you look any dumber.....[/quote']

The oldest recorded evidence of a martial art is unnamed and referenced in the Gilgamesh epic.

Please, quit making things up.

I see where the OP was going with this - and by in large he's correct. 9MM has done his best to salvage this sinking ship, but unfortunately at this point all anyone is capable of doing is going into defensive attacks because he insulted the MMA fanbase...