The greatest boxer of all time!

aethlefirth

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll say Ali was the greatest heavyweight, but Sugar Ray Robinson was the best fighter to ever lace a pair of gloves.

And for what it's worth, there are some guys listed as options who 100% don't deserve to be candidates...Lewis, Tyson & Foreman are options but Joe Louis isn't? Gimme a break.

Calzaghe two years ago was the best P4P on the planet. Did you see his demolition of Jeff Lacy, or beating Evans Ashira with just one hand? He beat the best on the world also (Kessler , Roy Jones, Bernard Hopkins, Chis Eubank).

If you say he is not on the list beacuse he did a line of coke after he retired then you better take off Mike Tyson for beaing a woman beating rapist.

I'll say Ali was the greatest heavyweight' date=' but Sugar Ray Robinson was the best fighter to ever lace a pair of gloves.

And for what it's worth, there are some guys listed as options who 100% don't deserve to be candidates...Lewis, Tyson & Foreman are options but Joe Louis isn't? Gimme a break.[/quote']

Jake Lamotta deserves a spot ahead of these clowns too.....

calzaghe two years ago was the best p4p on the planet. Did you see his demolition of jeff lacy' date=' or beating evans ashira with just one hand? He beat the best on the world also (kessler , roy jones, bernard hopkins, chis eubank).

If you say he is not on the list beacuse he did a line of coke after he retired then you better take off mike tyson for beaing a woman beating rapist.[/quote']

its an of all time poll! Joe was awesome but the depth in his division wasnt really up to much!

Calzaghe two years ago was the best P4P on the planet. Did you see his demolition of Jeff Lacy' date=' or beating Evans Ashira with just one hand? He beat the best on the world also (Kessler , Roy Jones, Bernard Hopkins, Chis Eubank).

If you say he is not on the list beacuse he did a line of coke after he retired then you better take off Mike Tyson for beaing a woman beating rapist.[/quote']

Calzaghe? lol, gtfo. The guy fought a handful of talent in his career. Impressive to go undefeated, but his name doesn't belong on a GOAT poll, or discussion.

What, no Oscar? Amateur record 224 and 5. Pro record 39 and 6. Gold Medal winner. Defeated 17 World Champions. 10 titles in six weight classes. More $$ generated than any other boxer in history. And he is a major MMA supporter. Even if he is not the greatest, he should get a mention

What' date=' no Oscar? Amateur record 224 and 5. Pro record 39 and 6. Gold Medal winner. Defeated 17 World Champions. 10 titles in six weight classes. More $$ generated than any other boxer in history. And he is a major MMA supporter. Even if he is not the greatest, he should get a mention[/quote']

He should be on the list before Lewis, or Tyson that's for sure....

3 time world heavyweight champion' date=' olympic gold medalist, defeated every opponent he faced including holyfield, klitschko, tyson, bruno, rahman, golota, tua.

i'd say that qualifies lennox lewis for 'non-clown' status[/quote']

he's not a clown, but I don't think he's anywhere near the GOAT list.....

i voted for Ali

my reasoning, I only ever saw him from videos, but his legendary status earned my vote. me being only 22, i rarely saw any of these boxers live, outside of Lewis because he peaked my interest winning a gold medal for Canada. i only ever checked for Lewis and caught the occasional big title fights with Tyson live. Canada showed every one of Lennox fights, so these 3 are the ones i can relate too

i'm no boxing expert, i wouldn't even call myself a boxing fan, so my vote was a throw away & i have no problem admitting that.

it isnt hard for me to imagine more impressive overall boxers then Ali, but i just never experienced them to any degree.

Ali is the GREATEST' date=' with Joe Louis a close second, for their impacts both inside and outside the ring. Both Men transcended the sport.

The BEST is Sugar Ray Robinson, with Chavez a close second.[/quote']

Interesting take here......well said. The separation of Greatest and Best......

Ali is the GREATEST' date=' with Joe Louis a close second, for their impacts both inside and outside the ring. Both Men transcended the sport.

The BEST is Sugar Ray Robinson, with Chavez a close second.[/quote']

Joe lewis fought for his country during WW2 ali dodged the draft FTW brown bomber

3 time world heavyweight champion' date=' olympic gold medalist, defeated every opponent he faced including holyfield, klitschko, tyson, bruno, rahman, golota, tua.

i'd say that qualifies lennox lewis for 'non-clown' status[/quote']

Check youtube man, it's got loads of classic fights if you can't get your hands on any DVDs......

Watch as much Robinson, Lamotta, Louis, Chavez and any other legends that you can.......amazing stuff.

Joe lewis fought for his country during WW2 ali dodged the draft FTW brown bomber

I dont think Joe Lewis did any kind of fighting. He was a public relations kinda guy. He did everything the Army and Govt. wanted him to do. Then after he got out, they stormed down on him with tax evasion charges and he struggled the rest of his life.

Interesting take here......well said. The separation of Greatest and Best......

I make the same distinction in MMA. Fedor is no doubt the Greatest' date=' but I would likely say the best was Sakuraba, with GSP and A. Silva on his heels for now.

Since you couldn't possibly have a clue as to what the hell you are talking about, I will let this slide. I will leave it with saying these were two different men, two different wars, and two different times. Ali had the biggest social impact of any American athlete before or since. There is a reason he is reveared no matter where he goes in this world.

I dont think Joe Lewis did any kind of fighting. He was a public relations kinda guy. He did everything the Army and Govt. wanted him to do. Then after he got out' date=' they stormed down on him with tax evasion charges and he struggled the rest of his life.[/quote']

he served in the war what happend afterwards was tragic but he didnt run from a war. granted I understand why ali did what he did it just wins points for Louis's character in my book plus i think he would have smashed Ali if they both fought in their prime well if we got to see ali in his prime.

I make the same distinction in MMA. Fedor is no doubt the Greatest' date=' but I would likely say the best was Sakuraba, with GSP and A. Silva on his heels for now.

Since you couldn't possibly have a clue as to what the hell you are talking about, I will let this slide. I will leave it with saying these were two different men, two different wars, and two different times. Ali had the biggest social impact of any American athlete before or since. There is a reason he is reveared no matter where he goes in this world.[/quote']

lmao stfu ignorant child I merely postted a comment if you got bootyhurt because I don't agree with ali's actions take it somewhere else.

he served in the war what happend afterwards was tragic but he didnt run from a war. granted I understand why ali did what he did it just wins points for Louis's character in my book plus i think he would have smashed Ali if they both fought in their prime well if we got to see ali in his prime.

Lewis was used by a country and govt that didnt respect him. He was a marketing tool to get people to volunteer to fight. I guess it could be considered respectable to do what one is supposed to do and not question. I also think its respectable to stand up for what one believes.

hard to go against Ali

my top 3 are Ali' date=' Tyson & Lennox Lewis

i vote for Ali

but Lennox Lewis is my favourite boxer of All-Time[/quote']

Those are my three favorite of all time as well. Ali was well-rounded, super-athletic, powerful, and had a great chin. Tyson had 235 pounds of muscle packed into a 5foot11 frame and his career speaks for itself, although, Ali had the tougher opponents of the 3. Some boxing Trainers, believe Lennox in his Prime, would have given anyon trouble with his Jab, the best jab in HW boxing history, it had power on it. Lennox would give Ali more trouble than Tyson, in my opinion,with his size and ability. I think Frazier is very much like Tyson, just twice as much heart, and Ali battled him well.

Archived