Rashad fighting for Interim LHW title @ 120?

forgivemyhonesty

As most of us know, Machida's camp have been petitioning for a fight with Rashad for an interim LHW title. I can't see Machida being granted this as we've already seen Machida vs Shogun for the last 2 LHW title fights, but more importantly, Shogun trounced Machida (say what you want about Shogun "catching" Machida, it's irrelevant).

It is speculated that Shogun will be ready to defend his title by March of 2011, with a headliner already set for 119 (Nog vs Mir 2), The best time for an Interim Title fight would be 120/121. There is still lots of time to train and there would be ample time to recover and train for a fight in March/April/May 2011.

SO... if Rashad is going to fight, who is the most logical choice to fight opposite Rashad for the Interim Light Heavyweight Title?

- Machida?

- winner of Bader vs Lil Nog?

- Thiago Silva (provided he wins at 117)?

- Rich Franklin?

- Couture (if he beats Tony)?

- Jon Jones (if he beats Vlad)?

As most of us know' date=' Machida's camp have been petitioning for a fight with Rashad for an interim LHW title. I can't see Machida being granted this as we've already seen Machida vs Shogun for the last 2 LHW title fights, but more importantly, Shogun trounced Machida (say what you want about Shogun "catching" Machida, it's irrelevant).

It is speculated that Shogun will be ready to defend his title by March of 2011, with a headliner already set for 119 (Nog vs Mir 2), The best time for an Interim Title fight would be 120. There is still lots of time to train and there would be ample time to recover and train for a fight in March/April/May 2011.

SO... if Rashad is going to fight, who is the most logical choice to fight opposite Rashad for the Interim Light Heavyweight Title?

- Machida?

- winner of Bader vs Lil Nog?

- Thiago Silva (provided he wins at 117)?

- Rich Franklin?

- Couture (if he beats Tony)?

- Jon Jones (if he beats Vlad)?[/quote']

I'd love to see him fight Jones or T. Silva. :D

and also 'If coutoure beates tony' he'll eat him alive, or atleast i hope so. you see the interview between Ariel Helwani and Tony? the guys a total idiot. :D

I don't think either Bader nor Lil Nog deserve even the interim belt.

I also agree that interim belts are "make believe" as Brock put it :) I hate interim belts as they have no real meaning.

If Thiago Silva wins, i would give him the opportunity, as he deserves it the most.

Cheers

I really want to see Machida champ again, but I'd like to see him fight someone else seeing as he already beat Rashad and if Machida became interim that will be Machida vs Rua for the title three times in a row for Rua...

I say, Machida fights Franklin, and if Bones beats Vlad to an inch of his life, Bones fights Rashad, or if Bones loses or squeaks a decision out of Vlad, Anderson Silva vs Rashad if Silva beats Sonnen...

I really want to see Machida champ again' date=' but I'd like to see him fight someone else seeing as he already beat Rashad and if Machida became interim that will be Machida vs Rua for the title three times in a row for Rua...

I say, Machida fights Franklin, and if Bones beats Vlad to an inch of his life, Bones fights Rashad, or if Bones loses or squeaks a decision out of Vlad, Anderson Silva vs Rashad if Silva beats Sonnen...[/quote']

Won't happen. They'll line someone up right after Sonnen for Silva. Then he'll move to LHW. The timing won't be right.

I don't think either Bader nor Lil Nog deserve even the interim belt.

I also agree that interim belts are "make believe" as Brock put it :) I hate interim belts as they have no real meaning.

If Thiago Silva wins' date=' i would give him the opportunity, as he deserves it the most.

Cheers[/quote']

why not?? bader is undefeated mma fighter beating good opponents and lil nog is lil nog, NUFF SAID. thiago silva is coming off a big loss to RASHAD, so why would he get an instant rematch just cuz he beats a so so opponent especially to face shogun for title. thats STUPID.

why not?? bader is undefeated mma fighter beating good opponents and lil nog is lil nog' date=' NUFF SAID. thiago silva is coming off a big loss to RASHAD, so why would he get an instant rematch just cuz he beats a so so opponent especially to face shogun for title. thats STUPID.[/quote']

I agree with you about the Thiago Silva situation. But personally, I don't think Lil' Nog nor Bader deserve the shot. I think Randy should get it after Toney and then that gives the LHW division time to get win streaks again with the big guys such as Thiago, Rampage, Machida, etc.

This also allows Randy another run at the title and it'd showcase Rashad's standup game.

Noone really deserves to fight Rashad for interim belt... Thiago just lost to Rashad so that makes no sense.. Machida just lost... Franklin is only on a one win streak.. MAYBE couture or winner of Bader/Nog but even at that I just think Evans should wait for Shogun

Noone really deserves to fight Rashad for interim belt... Thiago just lost to Rashad so that makes no sense.. Machida just lost... Franklin is only on a one win streak.. MAYBE couture or winner of Bader/Nog but even at that I just think Evans should wait for Shogun

No, I don't think he should wait for Shogun. He needs to stay active. It'd be near a year according to what sources are saying about Shogun fighting. Could be longer.

I think that Rashad needs to follow up on that great camp he was in and the insane training he was undergoing. This could be a GREAT time to improve on the things he needs to. He should polish up his ground control to advance position more and he needs to get back to his stand up roots and focus on counter punching while still incorporating setting up his takedowns with combos.

This is a golden oppurtunity for Rashad and he should take it.

So, if I were Rashad I would lobby for another fight and try to stay active.

you see the problem is no one other than rashad deserves to be in a interm title fight. no one has enough victory's of credible title contender fighters other than evans. so they could literally throw any one at evans. could be couture, franklin, bones, bader, lil nog, T silva, or could even be the spider. who knows. the problem with all of these fighters mentioned is all have recent wins and win streaks but no one fighter stands out enough to solidify a true number 1 interm title contendership bout with evans.

I agree with you about the Thiago Silva situation. But personally' date=' I don't think Lil' Nog nor Bader deserve the shot. I think Randy should get it after Toney and then that gives the LHW division time to get win streaks again with the big guys such as Thiago, Rampage, Machida, etc.

This also allows Randy another run at the title and it'd showcase Rashad's standup game.[/quote']

what the heck is beating toney going to prove honestly. any realistic mma fan knows randy will beat toney but if he doesn't do it in good fashion i think that will put him down in his mma level of where he is now. bader vs lil nog is a good fight to see who is a true competitor. both are well decorated (bader being UNDEFEATED and lil nog being lil nog and being 2-0 in ufc)

what the heck is beating toney going to prove honestly. any realistic mma fan knows randy will beat toney but if he doesn't do it in good fashion i think that will put him down in his mma level of where he is now. bader vs lil nog is a good fight to see who is a true competitor. both are well decorated (bader being UNDEFEATED and lil nog being lil nog and being 2-0 in ufc)

It doesn't have to prove anything.

Any realistic fan knows that Randy will bring in a draw for any kind of title to see what the "old man" still has left.

if anderson silva beats sonnen, it would be perfect to set up the permanent move to lhw for silva, and then making silva fight rashad would be a great fight for both... if silva were to beat rashad you have an amazing fight between shogun and silva, huge money maker and great fight as far as hardcore mma fans are concerned, not just ufc fans... also if silva moves to lhw he would vacate his title leaving a great oppurtunity for gsp to move to middleweight and make 2 weight class tourneys welter/middle

if anderson silva beats sonnen' date=' it would be perfect to set up the permanent move to lhw for silva, and then making silva fight rashad would be a great fight for both... if silva were to beat rashad you have an amazing fight between shogun and silva, huge money maker and great fight as far as hardcore mma fans are concerned, not just ufc fans... also if silva moves to lhw he would vacate his title leaving a great oppurtunity for gsp to move to middleweight and make 2 weight class tourneys welter/middle[/quote']

I still wanna see the silva vs belfort superfight

Thiago wouldn't fight Rashad again, he just lost to him.

Why would he climb up the ladder that quick.

I think Machida vs Rashad for the interim makes the most sense, but I wouldn't mind seeing Vitor Belfort fight Rashad.

That would be a sight to see.

I would agree with you, however, it really depends if Evans is trying to maintain a certain lifestyle. Between his last fight and next March will be quite a bit of time to go w/o a decent paycheck and not have decent enough compensation. Being a part time analyst on MMA Live i dont think is gonna cut it. He could be like Liddell and take a fight anyway when he fought Renato Sobral which took guts since a title fight was in his immediate future, but it's a big risk.

Archived