Lesnars striking coach talks about the holes in his striking

SCOver2

Lesnar hired one of the best boxing trainers in the world, Peter Welch, for his fight with Shane Carwin. Problem is, he only had about two months of training with him which doesn't amount to much as we saw in the Carwin fight. Here's some of what he had to say.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Boxing-Coach-Lesnar-Hasnt-Begun-to-Show-True-Potential-Yet-25546

“Part of our strategy and the things that we worked on in camp limited (Carwin’s) ability to get into those standup exchanges and relied a lot on when he did get (Brock) in a vulnerable position with Brock being up against the cage with his head down,” Welch said. “I just think (Carwin) made the best of the situation he had and he may have gassed out when he put himself in that position.”

"He's going to improve leaps and bounds this camp because he's going to have a perfect strategy,” said Welch. “We've already gone through the introduction period and now we're going to get down and we're going to take care of business at a different level. When you're dealing with athletes at this level it just accelerates the learning. It's actually a privilege and an honor to work with guys like this because they make you look good.”

“If you can't punch in traffic then you're not ready…I've seen Brock do it on numerous occasions. He can punch in traffic and I know it's just a matter of setting the feet and turning it around.”

“His strongest punch? He hasn't shown it yet,” said the Boston-based trainer. “So I'll just leave that as a mystery. In training he's shown a lot of potential to unleash some serious leverage and good snap and good power on his punches. So, it's now a matter of getting Brock comfortable enough to get the repetitions in and he's going to be a force to be reckoned with, not only in striking, but in all areas. It's just a matter of getting the reps in. Once he gets the reps in, he's going to lock it in.”

His striking did look better' date=' even Rashad Evans said it. But Shanes was still far superior. That doesn't mean Brock isn't improving, just not enough to a guy who is pretty much known as a striker.[/quote']I don't think we saw enough of Brock's striking to say it looked better, all we saw was that he has a granite chin and a bad habit of shelling up when he gets punched.

Two months is not nearly long enough to improve your striking. What Welch mentions is the reps. A fighter needs to throw punches thousands upon thousands of times before the brain and the fists develop a connection and can react on impulse. That is what is lacking right now.

It will come. He's a great athlete. Has power, reach, coordination, chin, speed and a great trainer. It will come.

ahhahah

I lol'd too. I have to agree though, with some solid training under his belt, I bet the Lesnar we see fight Cain will be a completely different animal, albeit his striking will not have caught up to Cain, I see Lesnar's progress actually mimicking Cain's growth from say Cheick Kongo fight to Ben Rothwell fight, maybe a little lacking on the footwork because of his sheer size

I do think his biggest problem is when somebody comes swinging at him... He backs straight up against the cage and lowers his head.

He did it against Frank and Carwin

Yeah that's also a tell tale sign of a guy who's a beginner. Most tend to shell up under pressure. Brock should have had a real boxing trainer in years ago but he was mostly fighting guys who he could easily TD so he put more emphasis on his strengths.

After 116 he know he has to definitely work on his weaknesses.

Lesnar is pretty much safe for now, he can keep on improving his striking and using his wrestling to keep the gold. Cain is an avarage\good striker, nothing that Brock needs to fear. Fake that big **** jab and go for the TD.

He should work more on his hands, like Couture. Forget the kicks for sometime (offensively). With the speed, power and reach he has, his hands can become more deadly than Carwin's.

Between Brock improving his striking, and Carwin improving his cardio, I think this will make for an even more exciting fight than the first one. I still believe that Lesnar's biggest threat is Carwin, and as long as he works is way back to a rematch, we will see some serious fireworks.

His standup wasnt as bad as I thought after rewatching it, it's just when he went to the ground that Carwin went to work. From the initial flurry to when brock was down he only ate one hit, the uppercut that leveled Mir. His head movement was pretty good, he just couldnt show it on the ground. We should get a better idea of his stand-up against a more technical striker in Cain. Can't wait.

Honestly it looked terrible. Some people are born strikers and some are born wrestlers. He will always be a bad strike' date=' he may improve but his striking will always be on the bottom of the HW division.[/quote']

This, but he is young in the sport and he at least should be able to defend himself with practice.

Carwins striking isn't even that close to technical what do you think JDS, Cain, or even Big Country would do to him in a straight stand up fight? Fact is Lesnar will always have a huge hole in his stand up game, and will continue to **** unwillingly legs for years to come.

Archived