Freddie Roach on MMA

SledgehammerSev

Sorry if I am reposting this' date=' I havnt seen it before

Freddie is talking about GSP, A.Silva and training other fighters all up

also problems with teaching mma guys to box etc[/quote']

great video.

I like when freddie roach says he told bob haran to entertain the fans more and haran got mad at him.

classic crazy old codger.

haha yea its an awesome vid

I think what they need in the UFC is to put pro boxers like Toney against other strikers that dont want to go on the ground

for example someone like A.Silva or Shogun or Machida fighting a pro boxer

the best would be A.Silva

I agree, put Toney in against a kickboxer who will chop his legs away. Then he can't moan about wrestling and takedowns when he loses.

I think what they need in the UFC is to put pro boxers like Toney against other strikers that dont want to go on the ground

agreed.

but not A silva.

he IS without a doubt the best match up for any boxer. and I think silva could beat alot of boxers strictly in stand up (toney included). hell, even in a boxing match.

but I would not want this because it would stop the influx of boxers into MMA. I would rather see toney win a couple so that other BETTER boxers (pacman, even old man RJJ or lennox lewis) would feel secure in trying their hands in the UFC.

I feel that the UFC NEEDS alot more crisp striking.

watching bonnar fight soshinski was good. but not great. I could see that exact fight at any bar after closing. if the UFC got real world class boxers in the mix then the fights would be better (IMO) it would force ALL the fighters to bring their game to the next level, and it might get boxing promoters to man up and put together the fights people want.(UFC would have to match boxing pay inorder for that, then boxers would transition and boxing promoters would inturn have to start entertaining more as roach so eloquently put it)

A silva is unbelievable. I want to see atleast 2 silvas per weight class before 2020 (I am realistic) the stand in front of you and throw sweeping hooks fights get old real quick. bring accuracy into the standup of UFC fighters and we have the perfect fighting sport.

As the sport grows and the money gets better then better athletes will be joining the ranks of the ufc , also as the sport grows more of these athletes will be training for mma from the start rather than transitioning over. Things can only go up from here talent wise.

agreed.

but not A silva.

he IS without a doubt the best match up for any boxer. and I think silva could beat alot of boxers strictly in stand up (toney included). hell' date=' even in a boxing match.

but I would not want this because it would stop the influx of boxers into MMA. I would rather see toney win a couple so that other BETTER boxers (pacman, even old man RJJ or lennox lewis) would feel secure in trying their hands in the UFC.

watching bonnar fight soshinski was good. but not great. I could see that exact fight at any bar after closing. if the UFC got real world class boxers in the mix then the fights would be better (IMO) it would force ALL the fighters to bring their game to the next level, and it might get boxing promoters to man up and put together the fights people want.(UFC would have to match boxing pay inorder for that, then boxers would transition and boxing promoters would inturn have to start entertaining more as roach so eloquently put it)

A silva is unbelievable. I want to see atleast 2 silvas per weight class before 2020 (I am realistic) the stand in front of you and throw sweeping hooks fights get old real quick. bring accuracy into the standup of UFC fighters and we have the perfect fighting sport.[/quote']

I agree too many UFC fighters swing for the fences and dont use very good technique when fighting. That Sung Jung-Garcia fight was enrtaining but there was nothing technical about it. Some of the fighters who are pretty good technical strikers include A. Silva, BJ Penn, Patrick Cote, Jose Aldo, Frankie Edgar, Dan Hardy, Junior Dos Santos, and now frank mir.

I agree too many UFC fighters swing for the fences and dont use very good technique when fighting. That Sung Jung-Garcia fight was enrtaining but there was nothing technical about it. Some of the fighters who are pretty good technical strikers include A. Silva' date=' BJ Penn, Patrick Cote, Jose Aldo, Frankie Edgar, Dan Hardy, Junior Dos Santos, and now frank mir.[/quote']

true.

mir I question, but maybe because I dont like him.

A silva has that insane KO accuracy that is rare. BJ edgar and aldo (I know, LW's) though technically sound, dont have the same "zazz" they make good use of the jab but they still fail to put the bow on it in most cases. (aldo I only saw the one fight that IMO was talked up a bit more than it deserved) although BJ is a great fighter........ with kicks and a good mix..... yah..... okay, I accept BJ.... I am sure he will be greatly relieved.

hardy is definitely in there, not quite silva but still good KO power. JDS I only remember his fight against crocop which was sub par IMO.

there is some good striking, just not enough.

then again, there was rarely 2 lennox lewis's, or 2 RJJ's or 2 tysons at the same time in boxing ( lewis and RJJ overlapped in totally different weight classes) so I guess asking for 10 A silvas might be asking for a little too much ;)

as long as there is always an A silva and never a stretch of years were everyone fights like forrest, or bonnar, or f*cking fatty nelson.

true.

mir I question' date=' but maybe because I dont like him.

A silva has that insane KO accuracy that is rare. BJ edgar and aldo (I know, LW's) though technically sound, dont have the same "zazz" they make good use of the jab but they still fail to put the bow on it in most cases. (aldo I only saw the one fight that IMO was talked up a bit more than it deserved) although BJ is a great fighter........ with kicks and a good mix..... yah..... okay, I accept BJ.... I am sure he will be greatly relieved.

hardy is definitely in there, not quite silva but still good KO power. JDS I only remember his fight against crocop which was sub par IMO.

there is some good striking, just not enough.

then again, there was rarely 2 lennox lewis's, or 2 RJJ's or 2 tysons at the same time in boxing ( lewis and RJJ overlapped in totally different weight classes) so I guess asking for 10 A silvas might be asking for a little too much ;)[/quote']

Mir since the nog fight has been looking pretty technically sound, especially for a heavyweight. Here's a vid of Anderson sparring with someone at roach's gym.

agreed.

but not A silva.

he IS without a doubt the best match up for any boxer. and I think silva could beat alot of boxers strictly in stand up (toney included). hell' date=' even in a boxing match.

A silva is unbelievable. I want to see atleast 2 silvas per weight class before 2020 (I am realistic) the stand in front of you and throw sweeping hooks fights get old real quick. bring accuracy into the standup of UFC fighters and we have the perfect fighting sport.[/quote']

Man I think A.Silva would be perfect

it would be his greatest challenge, his best strength is his striking and if you get someone like "Pretty Boy" Mayweather that is THAT good dude, its like made for that matchup

Anderson hasnt fought anyone that is even close to being as good of a striker as him

and Roach wasnt impressed with him that is saying a lot

also Silvas boxing career is 1-1

thats a 10 million dollar show right there (if the boxing fans knew who A.Silva was)

I agree' date=' put Toney in against a kickboxer who will chop his legs away. Then he can't moan about wrestling and takedowns when he loses.[/quote']

Toney v Barry would be a hell of a fight.

I'd predict an early head kick KO for Barry.

Toney would also be totally screwed in a Thai Clinch...in boxing the clinch isn't primarily an offensive position..it's a defensive one.

Toney's instincts in the clinch wouldn't prepare him for the knees to the face and body.

Cheers

-DR

That will not helps their odds whatsoever when flyinf knees, kicks and all that other chit hit them. Boxers should stay where they are unless they have had years of experience like my boy Lytle.

I agree too many UFC fighters swing for the fences and dont use very good technique when fighting. That Sung Jung-Garcia fight was enrtaining but there was nothing technical about it. Some of the fighters who are pretty good technical strikers include A. Silva' date=' BJ Penn, Patrick Cote, Jose Aldo, Frankie Edgar, Dan Hardy, Junior Dos Santos, and now frank mir.[/quote']

Not Frank Mir, Mir does the same damn 2 3-punch combos over and over again, straight left-right uppercut-straight left and straight left-right hook-straight left.

Man I think A.Silva would be perfect

it would be his greatest challenge' date=' his best strength is his striking and if you get someone like "Pretty Boy" Mayweather that is THAT good dude, its like made for that matchup

Anderson hasnt fought anyone that is even close to being as good of a striker as him

and Roach wasnt impressed with him that is saying a lot

also Silvas boxing career is 1-1

thats a 10 million dollar show right there (if the boxing fans knew who A.Silva was)[/quote']

If you payed attention closer he said that he wasn't impressed with him in the gym but in his fights he is very impressive.

Archived