Strikeforce To Offer Fedor Next Title Shot At Alistair Overeem

Despite suffering his first legitimate loss to Fabricio Werdum at Strikeforce/M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Werdum on June 26th, F4WOnline.com is reporting that Fedor Emelianenko will be offered a Strikeforce Heavyweight title shot against current champion Alistair Overeem, given he signs their usual title match agreement (which binds the champion to defend in the promotion).

Apparently the idea is if Fedor fights Werdum again and wins, he can leave and that would allow Strikeforce to get him in a title match and keep him, whereas if he loses they've simply established their title.

Despite suffering his first legitimate loss to Fabricio Werdum at Strikeforce/M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Werdum on June 26th' date=' F4WOnline.com is reporting that Fedor Emelianenko will be offered a Strikeforce Heavyweight title shot against current champion Alistair Overeem, given he signs their usual title match agreement (which binds the champion to defend in the promotion).

Apparently the idea is if Fedor fights Werdum again and wins, he can leave and that would allow Strikeforce to get him in a title match and keep him, whereas if he loses they've simply established their title.[/quote']

Interesting ... like to hear Ex9mm's take on this ? (bad news for SCO, say bye-bye if its true)

Don't agree with it' date=' but business-wise it makes sense.[/quote']

Yes and no.

Dangling a no Werdum fight without a new contract at Fedor = smart business.

Having Overeem defend his belt for a SECOND time against a guy coming off a loss= SF HW belt is as legit as one out of a gum ball machine.

How much sense does it make if we see the Fedor vs Werdum rematch and Fedor is the defending Champ not Werdum. Makes no sense.

They should have done

Overeem vs Werdum

Fedor vs BigFoot Silva

Yes and no.

Having Overeem defend his belt for a SECOND time against a guy coming off a loss= SF HW belt is as legit as one out of a gum ball machine.

How much sense does it make if we see the Fedor vs Werdum rematch and Fedor is the defending Champ not Werdum. Makes no sense.

They should have done

Overeem vs Werdum

Fedor vs BigFoot Silva

Completely agree. If SF wants to stay in business they need start trying to legitimize their titles, not keep focusing on having all their eggs in the Fedor basket.

Despite suffering his first legitimate loss to Fabricio Werdum at Strikeforce/M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Werdum on June 26th' date=' F4WOnline.com is reporting that Fedor Emelianenko will be offered a Strikeforce Heavyweight title shot against current champion Alistair Overeem, given he signs their usual title match agreement (which binds the champion to defend in the promotion).

Apparently the idea is if Fedor fights Werdum again and wins, he can leave and that would allow Strikeforce to get him in a title match and keep him, whereas if he loses they've simply established their title.[/quote']

I heard they want a rematch before any title fight

Yes and no.

They should have done

Overeem vs Werdum

Fedor vs BigFoot Silva

Yeah great points. This is how a non-struggling MMA organization would have handled things, but you can't blame them for not wanting to miss out on the bigger pay day with Overeem vs Fedor. It does tarnish the HW belt though, maybe Overeem will just come to the UFC... (Crosses Fingers)

Maybe this is a return slap to Werdum for wanting a rematch over a title fight.

Quite stupid of him I must say...it's like they told him back in the locker room..."if you win this bout immediately ask for a rematch with Fedor....cuz personally we don't wanna see you as champion plus we stand to lose tons of money."

So Overeem wins the Heavyweight title - doesn't defend it or even appear at a SF event for two and a half years, then has his first defense against a guy who's coming off a loss and now they want to have him defend the title again against ANOTHER guy fresh off a loss?

I understand Fedor is no ordinary fighter and his legacy puts him in a different category, but from a promotional stand point it's like they don't give a **** about the prestige of their title. I swear Vince McMahon does a better job of making his Heavyweight Title look like it means something...

I expected this. I don't like it, but as others have said, it's smart business right now.

Clearly, Werdum should be fighting Overeem, but that won't sell tickets. They're banking on Fedor beating Overeem, having the title clause that requires him to stay, and then giving him Werdum as his first defense, also being a rematch.

I'd love to see him obliterate Overeem though, I'm not gonna lie.

I really don't care who he fights, just as long as he fights.

War Fedor

This makes totally sense as to be eligible for a title shot in the strikefarce hw division you need to lose in embarrassing fashion in your previous fight.

losing to the top BJJ guy in the world via triangle choke after pummeling him for a few seconds is not wat i would consider embarrassing

Jumping sloppily into the guard of a top bjj guy and throwing wild sloppy punches when his opponent only slipped and was not rocked is a rookie mistake, embarrassing for a fighter of Fedor's stature. In his past (Big Nog) he would just let them stand up, he was overconfident and lost to an opponent he should have demolished.

Jumping sloppily into the guard of a top bjj guy and throwing wild sloppy punches when his opponent only slipped and was not rocked is a rookie mistake' date=' embarrassing for a fighter of Fedor's stature. In his past (Big Nog) he would just let them stand up, he was overconfident and lost to an opponent he should have demolished.[/quote']

cuz fedor let nog stand up sooo many times

i agree he made a mistake but Werdums BJJ is amazing, brock woulda done the same thing and so would everyone else

Jumping sloppily into the guard of a top bjj guy and throwing wild sloppy punches when his opponent only slipped and was not rocked is a rookie mistake' date=' embarrassing for a fighter of Fedor's stature. In his past (Big Nog) he would just let them stand up, he was overconfident and lost to an opponent he should have demolished.[/quote']

not true ^ .. of the two classic beat-downs fedor handed Nog, the first match was ground-war & the third was stand-up ...

1215ugh.jpg2vw8apf.jpg

cuz fedor let nog stand up sooo many times

i agree he made a mistake but Werdums BJJ is amazing' date=' brock woulda done the same thing and so would everyone else[/quote']

Your trying to defend Fedor by comparing him to Brock???? Someone with only a handful of mma matches is expected to make rookie mistakes but Fedor should have known better.

I have already voiced my opinion once on the hilarity that is the SF titles. Overeem now gets the chance to defend his belt not once but twice against a guy coming off a loss! Nothing about their rankings makes any sense to me. I understand that Fedor is well Fedor but still a loss is a loss. I thought title shots were earned by winning? Wouldn't that make Werdum the most deserving HW? I get business wise it doesn't make the most sense but to keep/earn any kind of rep as a fight company they kinda have to do the right thing here. Setup Fedor/Werdum 2 after Werdum fights Overeem. Potentially for the belt if Werdum could pull out the win(doubtful), but sometimes guys don't get a chance to avenge a loss and that's just the way it is, or it takes an awful long time to get your chance. Look at Liddell/Rampage, Rampage/Silva, etc etc

I have already voiced my opinion once on the hilarity that is the SF titles. Overeem now gets the chance to defend his belt not once but twice against a guy coming off a loss! Nothing about their rankings makes any sense to me. I understand that Fedor is well Fedor but still a loss is a loss. I thought title shots were earned by winning? Wouldn't that make Werdum the most deserving HW? I get business wise it doesn't make the most sense but to keep/earn any kind of rep as a fight company they kinda have to do the right thing here. Setup Fedor/Werdum 2 after Werdum fights Overeem. Potentially for the belt if Werdum could pull out the win(doubtful)' date=' but sometimes guys don't get a chance to avenge a loss and that's just the way it is, or it takes an awful long time to get your chance. Look at Liddell/Rampage, Rampage/Silva, etc etc[/quote']

+1 their hw title is a joke and apparently they thinks its funny enough to keep the joke coming.

overeem has been (t)ko'd 9 times in his mma/ k-1 career > badr hari has 11 losses(7 by tko)

& he knocked overeem down w/ a short left & finished w/ a head-kick ko in the '09 GP finals .

werdum kimura'd him in '06

overeem is a meatball, werdum is off the chart superior to alistair .. word

CoolCat-SayingWORD_0.jpg

Yes and no.

They should have done

Overeem vs Werdum

Fedor vs BigFoot Silva

I completely agree. And to true mma fans, their organization becomes even more of a joke.

well has strikeforce done anything right?

Fedor has been the #1 p4p fighter and many peoples list, yet Brett Rodgers, who he beat, fought for the Championship....

I think its unfair for Fedor in the first place

Fedor should have fought Overeem before Fedor fought Arlosvski, before he fought Rodgers, and definitly before OVereem fought Rodgers

According to how they have done things, Fedor should get a title shot now, why should they change how they do things now that Fedor lost?

Again, they have done things wrong all along, but to do them right now would be doing Fedor even more wrong

well has strikeforce done anything right?

Fedor has been the #1 p4p fighter and many peoples list' date=' yet Brett Rodgers, who he beat, fought for the Championship....

I think its unfair for Fedor in the first place

Fedor should have fought Overeem before Fedor fought Arlosvski, before he fought Rodgers, and definitly before OVereem fought Rodgers

According to how they have done things, Fedor should get a title shot now, why should they change how they do things now that Fedor lost?

Again, they have done things wrong all along, but to do them right now would be doing Fedor even more wrong[/quote']

Fedor dodged overeem..

overeem has been (t)ko'd 9 times in his mma/ k-1 career > badr hari has 11 losses(7 by tko)

& he knocked overeem down w/ a short left & finished w/ a head-kick ko in the '09 GP finals .

werdum kimura'd him in '06

overeem is a meatball' date=' werdum is off the chart superior to alistair .. word

[img']http://pumapac.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/CoolCat-SayingWORD_0.jpg[/img]

That's an incredibly distorted reality you live in.

Archived