Sign in to follow this  
KungFuMaster

The myth about Rhythm...

Not by nature, but rhythm is more prevalent in culture of african descendants - it for many decades was their methodology of passing along stories from generations to generations, it's much more common that singing and rhythm is used in spiritual praise, and it while some european decedents share music taste similar to their parents, I've noticed music is a much more of a binding force within african decent familys.

This is all based on generalizations, and with that obviously there are a great many exceptions. But no, I don't think it's a genetic thing, I think it has to do with cultural upbringing.

Not by nature' date=' but rhythm is more prevalent in culture of african descendants - it for many decades was their methodology of passing along stories from generations to generations, it's much more common that singing and rhythm is used in spiritual praise, and it while some european decedents share music taste similar to their parents, I've noticed music is a much more of a binding force within african decent familys.

This is all based on generalizations, and with that obviously there are a great many exceptions. But no, I don't think it's a genetic thing, I think it has to do with cultural upbringing.[/quote']

this^^^

Race - A word wrongly applied to refer to the 6 major populations of modern HomoSapiens, which bear different skin colors but no important genetic (or musical!) differences.

of all people i thought you would've known this KMF! ^

Not by nature' date=' but rhythm is more prevalent in culture of african descendants - it for many decades was their methodology of passing along stories from generations to generations, it's much more common that singing and rhythm is used in spiritual praise, and it while some european decedents share music taste similar to their parents, I've noticed music is a much more of a binding force within african decent familys.

This is all based on generalizations, and with that obviously there are a great many exceptions. But no, I don't think it's a genetic thing, I think it has to do with cultural upbringing.[/quote']

Best post I've seen in days, way to bring it Leiting!

I'm white and I'm pretty funky with my drums and my turntables. I think it has to do with a mixture of genes, upbringing and individual brain activity. My sister can dace to a beat, but she can't play any rhythm instruments. My dad can keep a good beat and can dance, so can my mom....all white. I'm the only one who plays an instrument.

+ 1

Well said, so what is your vote?

Race - A word wrongly applied to refer to the 6 major populations of modern HomoSapiens' date=' which bear different skin colors but no important genetic (or musical!) differences.

of all people i thought you would've known this KMF! ^[/quote']

Oh, I know this.....our skin colors are only separated by a few thousands of years.

To be honest, I am not sure what you are getting at.

Oh' date=' I know this.....our skin colors are only separated by a few thousands of years.

To be honest, I am not sure what you are getting at.[/quote']

Nevermind..

i voted for the last option just to let you know..

Race - A word wrongly applied to refer to the 6 major populations of modern HomoSapiens' date=' which bear different skin colors but no important genetic (or musical!) differences.

of all people i thought you would've known this KMF! ^[/quote']

Oh, I know this.....our skin colors are only separated by a few thousands of years.

To be honest, I am not sure what you are getting at.

I'm white and I'm pretty funky with my drums and my turntables. I think it has to do with a mixture of genes' date=' upbringing and individual brain activity. My sister can dace to a beat, but she can't play any rhythm instruments. My dad can keep a good beat and can dance, so can my mom....all white. I'm the only one who plays an instrument.[/quote']

Why do you think genes play a part when dealing with rhythm?

Why do you think genes play a part when dealing with rhythm?

In my opinion...All of us are born with soul. Some of us are born with rhythm and soul. I think it comes naturally, like fast reflexes on putting on the brakes at the last second to avoid collision. Or dodging that wasp coming at your head at 90mph.

Not a bad answer. It takes a bit of intelligence to perform complicated rhythms. So, yes, genes do play a factor into being able to perform difficult rhythms, especially syncopations mixed with down beats.

I am a music major as I have stated. Being able to play on time is actually very difficult. You can play fast rifts and do amazing movements on your instrument....but if you cannot play on time, you are nothing. Playing on time does not mean changing chords on time. Changing chords on time is easy. The most difficult thing for even advanced muscians is to be able to play 16th notes, 32nd notes, 64th notes, or triplets on time.

If you don't know what I mean...basically... You take one long note and divide that note into ...let's say 16 notes. You will now play 16 notes in the time it takes to play that one longer note. Most advanced musicians cannot do this correctly and on time.

Now, regarding the original question of whether which group of has the better rhythm between African decents and Whites. It has been my experience that on average, African decents will have better rhythm.

When you compare the average African decents and Whites who have minimal training in music, the African decents have a better feel for rhythm than Whites. Why is this? Like Leiting has stated, African decents are raise in a culture where music and rhythm is a dominant force. Rhythm is practiced daily through rhymes, games, singing, rapping, scat...etc.

We cannot compared musicians among Africans and Whites...If they are practicing musicians, the comparison will be a stale mate.

I have witnessed first hand, people of African decent can follow and perform rhythm rudiments more effectively than Whites. I have also seen White music majors being bested in a game of rhythm by Africans who are not music majors.

We were singing a song in which we all knew very well. The only person who was able to effectively improvised and stayed on beat was our African American friend.

I haven't voted....because once you vote you cannot see who has voted.

Yes you can, you click on the number of votes in a section to see who voted for said option...

You must be white LOL.

I haven't voted....because once you vote you cannot see who has voted.

My **** is whiter than Casper. If you would vote what would it be?

The flow of the guitar burns inside me

I play the guitar too. My chops are good enough to be in any bands, but when playing complicated lengthy melodies, the timing is hardly ever perfect. Have you ever played with a metronone? It is hard bro. Try playing a scale with the metronone. That is hard to do.

obviously its doesn't go for every single person. but i think generaly africans are more rhythmic than non africans.

i'm prety sure the drum was being used in africa as a means of comuincation over long distances thousands of years ago and still was up untill probably the last fifty years. over time it must have been hard coded into their brains or something.

Our cultures all developed at a different rythmn is all.

Africa is a 4/4 rythmn, with bass on the downbeat.

Europe is a 3/4 rythmn with bass on the up.

Its an engrained thing, you can see it at the club. White people snap and head bob on the upbeat, and black people on the downbeat.

No one genetically has "better" rythmn than anyone, but all our engrained cultural rythmns are just different.

obviously its doesn't go for every single person. but i think generaly africans are more rhythmic than non africans.

i'm prety sure the drum was being used in africa as a means of comuincation over long distances thousands of years ago and still was up untill probably the last fifty years. over time it must have been hard coded into their brains or something.

Whites used the tab machine to send out morse codes. That takes skills