Sign in to follow this  
defsteve

UFC 117 - Jon Fitch vs. Thiago Alves Discussion Thread

It's what we see in every Fitch fight. Just takedown after takedown with minimal attempt to finish the fight. This fight wasn't competitive' date=' it was just dull. At what point during the fight did you actually feel any sense of excitement?[/quote']

Takedowns...the stand up we saw breifly, the wrestling dominance.

I like Alves. I just wish he would commit a little more. Or at least move up a class if the weight cut is too much for him.

I only post around PPV times. I just don't like dealing with noobs and what not lol You know how it is. If i do get on I'm usually in the outside section.

Fairplay mate :)

It's what we see in every Fitch fight. Just takedown after takedown with minimal attempt to finish the fight. This fight wasn't competitive' date=' it was just dull. At what point during the fight did you actually feel any sense of excitement?[/quote']

It's your opinion man. Get over it. You obviously don't care for every aspect of fighting, that's cool. But some people like to watch guys wrestle and get take downs. It's all opinionated.

And who cares if the fight wasn't finished. Some of the best fights of all time didn't have a finish.

Wow Thiago just cant do anything with wrestlers like GSP & Fitch. I dont think the 13 month layoff had anything to do with it, he didnt look gassed out, he didnt look bad either. Fitch is just a wrestling juggernaut. So far only GSP is the only guy at this point that can counter someone like Fitch.

It's your opinion man. Get over it. You obviously don't care for every aspect of fighting' date=' that's cool. But some people like to watch guys wrestle and get take downs. It's all opinionated.

And who cares if the fight wasn't finished. Some of the best fights of all time didn't have a finish.[/quote']

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the grappling aspect of MMA, but I prefer to see it when guys go out to finish fights, and not just lie on the other guy and rely on a decision based on control and position. I like takedowns, but when it's just takedown after takedown and it's not progressing the fight at all, I just find it all gets quite dull. I can understand why a Fitch fan would be happy with the fight, but as a neutral I just found myself pretty bored once it became clear that the fight wasn't gonna develop at all.

A minimal attempt to finish the fight? In what way? Both fighters were doing everything they could to finish the fight. If either Fitch or Alves saw an opportunity, then they would take it. There would be no point not to.

Alves couldn't get the knockout, because Fitch's standup looked good and continued to take him down. Fitch couldn't finish the fight on the ground because Alves had great defense. Such is fighting.

A minimal attempt to finish the fight? In what way? Both fighters were doing everything they could to finish the fight. If either Fitch or Alves saw an opportunity' date=' then they would take it. There would be no point not to.

Alves couldn't get the knockout, because Fitch's standup looked good and continued to take him down. Fitch couldn't finish the fight on the ground because Alves had great defense. Such is fighting.[/quote']

Ok so I probably shouldn't have said neither fighter was trying to finish the fight, because Alves couldn't really get a chance. The thing I find annoying about Jon Fitch is that he doesn't take any risks. He won't posture up on the ground in case the other guy escapes to standing, he doesn't really go for subs because he might get swept.

Ok so I probably shouldn't have said neither fighter was trying to finish the fight' date=' because Alves couldn't really get a chance. The thing I find annoying about Jon Fitch is that he doesn't take any risks. He won't posture up on the ground in case the other guy escapes to standing, he doesn't really go for subs because he might get swept.[/quote']

I gotcha, and I can agree with that.

IMO, the only guys capable of stopping the Fitch Train are guys who can out wrestle him. Even if you're a wrestler who wants to KO Fitch, you're better off not striking with him because when he gets a hold of you, he doesn't let go. I wanna call him Jon "Velcro" Fitch.

Wow that fight was boring...

If Fitch fights like this against GSP.... Deep down you Fitch fans know he'll lose...

****!!! Alves needs to do summin with that weight problem... or just move up to 185.

What I don't understand is the ****in point system...

30-27 all 3 rnds are u serious?

The first rnd could have gone either way... Fitch got a takedown after trying for like 2 mins and then it was reversed.

Yes I am a Fan of Alves.

Fitch better bring his a-game when he faces GSP, either it will be a repeat of their first fight.

Alves step ur ****in game up and start takin **** seriously.

Alves would fare better at MW IMO. He'll be a little short, but he would be like the Matt Serra of the MW division in a way. The MW division doesn't have as many wrestlers and I think there would be some exciting fights for him there.

Hmm i watched the fight again and i thought it was a very good technical fight put on by Fitch held some great positions and had attempts at three different chokes

2 rear naked chokes which Thiago was able to keep at bay and a arm triangle in which Thiago managed to stay on top of Ftich to neutralises the choke and stop Fitch getting the Hold so anybody who said fitch was on top and did nothing are idiots !

That fight sucked so much **** it still smells like ****. ****ing garbage fight, i wish i wouldnt have watched it, ****ing **** over 15 minutes of my life to that garbage ****ing ****, ********.

FITCH CANT EVEN FINISH A GUY WITH NO BACKGROUND IN BJJ ALVES DOESNT EVEN HAVE ANY SUBMISSION VICTORIES

That fight sucked so much **** it still smells like ****. ****ing garbage fight' date=' i wish i wouldnt have watched it, ****ing **** over 15 minutes of my life to that garbage ****ing ****, ********.

FITCH CANT EVEN FINISH A GUY WITH NO BACKGROUND IN BJJ ALVES DOESNT EVEN HAVE ANY SUBMISSION VICTORIES[/quote']

Damn u stupid . U cant even understand what going on .