new welterweight contender?

friendlyfire31

i'm curious if any one else has given any thought to chris lytle maybe making a run at the welterweight belt. if he is able to beat matt serra at 119 that will give him his fourth straight win. anybody think there's a chance they let him have a shot at fitch to determine a contender? if st pierre and koscheck aren't fighting until december fitch would have to wait quite a while for his shot anyway, so why not have a contender match...and why not give lytle a shot. i know hes getting a bit older but against top welterweights he hasn't done that bad. lost decisions to koscheck and hughes and lost with a cut to alves. anyway just decided to join the forums and thought this would be an interesting first thread.

i'm curious if any one else has given any thought to chris lytle maybe making a run at the welterweight belt. if he is able to beat matt serra at 119 that will give him his fourth straight win. anybody think there's a chance they let him have a shot at fitch to determine a contender? if st pierre and koscheck aren't fighting until december fitch would have to wait quite a while for his shot anyway' date=' so why not have a contender match...and why not give lytle a shot. i know hes getting a bit older but against top welterweights he hasn't done that bad. lost decisions to koscheck and hughes and lost with a cut to alves. anyway just decided to join the forums and thought this would be an interesting first thread.[/quote']

i have been thinking about this, i think he can make it to the top but im not sure if he can get the belt

i just think that maybe its time lytle gets a shot. i'm not saying ellenberger doesn't have the chops to make it to the top, but i think lytle has shown he can hang with the top of the ufc welterweight division and with a huge submission win over a tough matt brown and a potential win over serra to avenge that loss i think we hill will have earned the chance.

i just think that maybe its time lytle gets a shot. i'm not saying ellenberger doesn't have the chops to make it to the top' date=' but i think lytle has shown he can hang with the top of the ufc welterweight division and with a huge submission win over a tough matt brown and a potential win over serra to avenge that loss i think we hill will have earned the chance.[/quote']

Chris Lytle>Jake Ellenberger

I hope Lytle impressively stops Serra and does get a shot at at least a #1 contender fight. Guy never puts on a crappy fight. Fact is if it doesn't happen soon it never will for Lytle and that would be a shame. He's 36 so the clock is ticking.

If he can get past Serra I would love to see him fight the winner of Shields vs Kampann to get in line for a shot. God knows I would rather see Lytle face GSP over a rematch with Fitch.

Johnny Hendricks will beat GSP just as soon as they match them up.

You heard it hear first - but don;t worry' date=' a year from now everyone will be saying it.[/quote']

I havent seen much of Johnny Hendricks, only his fight with Amir and some in WEC, whens he going to be on a main card?

Jake Ellenberger is a better potential contender.

this +1

Lytle is a decent fighter IMO, but he has lost to the top WW's (hughes, koscheck, alves) and beaten non-contenders. I don't see him making a run at the title. I think he's going to lose to Serra again anyway

I havent seen much of Johnny Hendricks' date=' only his fight with Amir and some in WEC, whens he going to be on a main card?[/quote']

he hasn't fought the best competition but hendricks is a little work horse. he's got a bright future - i want him on a main card soon!

I hope Lytle impressively stops Serra and does get a shot at at least a #1 contender fight. Guy never puts on a crappy fight. Fact is if it doesn't happen soon it never will for Lytle and that would be a shame. He's 36 so the clock is ticking.

If he can get past Serra I would love to see him fight the winner of Shields vs Kampann to get in line for a shot. God knows I would rather see Lytle face GSP over a rematch with Fitch.

Absolutely, i root for GSP basically against anyone he faces but i would be rooting for Lytle if they fought

I havent seen much of Johnny Hendricks' date=' only his fight with Amir and some in WEC, whens he going to be on a main card?[/quote']

Im not sure. For some reason they have decided to go with Amir instead of the guy who beat him down in seconds.

It doesn;t matter though.

Sooner or laer Hendricks will get his turn and that will be that.

He is already a better wrestler than GSP.

i completely agree! he is getting older and i think if he does beat serra it will probably be the only time he'll string together four in a row, so why not at least give him a shot! i hadn't even really considered shields/kampmann. i think if kampmann can pull it off (fingers crossed) than a fight between him and lytle would be great to watch. but honestly i'd really like to see him fight fitch...i know its wishful thinking but i'd love to watch lytle put a stop to fitch's boring ride to the #1 contender spot.

um the winner of martin kampmann and jake shields should fight jon fitch for the #1 comtender spot? that makes a lot more sense than anything you guys have said? lol

first off, what's with the question marks? second, lytle makes perfect sense. he's proven himself against top competition and he has a three fight win streak leading up to this fight against serra. if you disagree i'd love to hear an opinion that's foundation is stronger than "you're wrong!"

Well he killed Amir' date=' i know that but i dont know if that is saying much..[/quote']

That was one of the worst stoppages I've seen in the UFC though. Amir gets dropped, Hendricks lands a load of strikes to the back of the head, Amir gets up and the ref stops the fight.

Great start by Johnny in that fight, but who knows how it could have gone if the ref hadn't been an idiot.

Archived