Why in the hell give Sonnen a rematch?

Furiousmat

I really don't understand that.. I mean I would understand that if he dominated one or 2 more fights he woulda been back in title contention. But I don't understand why they'd give him a straight rematch.

Cuz let's face it. Yes, Sonnen does have the perfect style to cause Silva some problems. But even with that stylistic matchup rolling 100% for him, and at the top of is shape and game, Sonnen still failed and lost his fight.

Now the thing is... Sonnen is not a champion. And I doubt he will be. The reason for that is that his only way to get to this belt would be to win his title by style matchup. Silva is the champ and has been the champ for so long because he has the tools to defeat anybody. Even if some styles will cause him some problem, his complete arsenal still makes him capable of being a real danger for any fighter. That can't be said about Sonnen.

If Chael Sonnen becomes the champ by laying on Silva for 5 rounds, what will happen next? We already know that Maia defeated him not so long ago. How credible a champion is that? Now if you throw Maia to Sonnen, what will happen? We all know what goes with Sonnen when he plays with BJJ matches.

So my point is this : Sonnen is a 1 trick poney. This 1 trick is a hard one for Silva but despite the fact that his style is basically made to beat Silva, he still lost. Overall, we know that Sonnen is far from being as talented a fighter as Silva. He is not an overall better fighter. He's a one dimensional fighter whose only dimension happens to be good against THIS champion. I think it's a good thing that he did not become a champ at UFC 117 cuz if he did we'd have the belt passing from a one trick poney to another for the next year.

Can you imagine Sonnen becoming the champ, getting his belt taken away by Maia? Can you imagine having Anderson Silva in the midst of MW contention competition while Maia is the champ? What kind of freaking ridiculous ******** would that be.

it was an exciting fight and they can make loads of money with a rematch...

This. Chael is a one man hype train, mad skills at self promotion. They sold a ton of PPV's for the last one, why wouldnt they want to milk that cash cow for all its worth?

People need to realize that the UFC is a business, ticket sales are what matters, not "who is deserving".

The problem is that there's really nobody to fight Silva in the UFC - unless they match Shields up with him which is what they ought to do.

SO you;re stuck with Sonnen.

And nobody is going to pay PPV to watch that fight again.

Are they?

I didnt pay the first time, and i wont the second time just to see the same thing. Whats Chael gonna do, say all the same things to sell tickets.

The problem is that there's really nobody to fight Silva in the UFC - unless they match Shields up with him which is what they ought to do.

Are they?

i'd love to watch the rematch, and i for one think they'll make boatloads off of ppv buys next time around.

Are they?

i will go to a bar for the rematch. i bought the PPV last time because 117 was so damn stacked and I didn't want to be surrounded by drunken morons in their tapout gear

no way will i pay $50 for the sonnen/silva rematch

I really don't understand that.. I mean I would understand that if he dominated one or 2 more fights he woulda been back in title contention. But I don't understand why they'd give him a straight rematch.

Cuz let's face it. Yes' date=' Sonnen does have the perfect style to cause Silva some problems. But even with that stylistic matchup rolling 100% for him, and at the top of is shape and game, Sonnen still failed and lost his fight.

Now the thing is... Sonnen is not a champion. And I doubt he will be. The reason for that is that his only way to get to this belt would be to win his title by style matchup. Silva is the champ and has been the champ for so long because he has the tools to defeat anybody. Even if some styles will cause him some problem, his complete arsenal still makes him capable of being a real danger for any fighter. That can't be said about Sonnen.

If Chael Sonnen becomes the champ by laying on Silva for 5 rounds, what will happen next? We already know that Maia defeated him not so long ago. How credible a champion is that? Now if you throw Maia to Sonnen, what will happen? We all know what goes with Sonnen when he plays with BJJ matches.

So my point is this : Sonnen is a 1 trick poney. This 1 trick is a hard one for Silva but despite the fact that his style is basically made to beat Silva, he still lost. Overall, we know that Sonnen is far from being as talented a fighter as Silva. He is not an overall better fighter. He's a one dimensional fighter whose only dimension happens to be good against THIS champion. I think it's a good thing that he did not become a champ at UFC 117 cuz if he did we'd have the belt passing from a one trick poney to another for the next year.

Can you imagine Sonnen becoming the champ, getting his belt taken away by Maia? Can you imagine having Anderson Silva in the midst of MW contention competition while Maia is the champ? What kind of freaking ridiculous ******** would that be.[/quote']

I agree with your thoughts 100%. It'd be a merry go round of being a champion and that doesn't exactly build credibility with BEING a champion.

Sonnen is a one trick pony. People say he DOMINATED Silva. That's absolute BS! You don't lose by submission (OR knock out, if it had come to that) and get a rematch. Rematches for champions should be for odd judges scorecards that are too close to call. If you tap out, you do not get an instant rematch. The only reason I can see there being an immediate rematch is because Anderson Silva has taken out the entire division.

Seriously, who did not see Sonnen losing by submission when most of his losses are from submission? It's not worth while to watch a fight where I know that Silva will win unless you buy into the hype train that Sonnen is trying to promote with his idiotic comments. If you want to watch drama and fighting, there's always professional wrestling around.

i think it is ridiculous sure Sonnen almost beat Anderson but he got finished

but does getting finished warrant an immediate rematch? hell no it dont

i mean If Chaels getting an immediate rematch then im calling for Carwin to get an immediate rematch too i mean he almost beat Brock! THats obviously how things work round here

I agree with your thoughts 100%. It'd be a merry go round of being a champion and that doesn't exactly build credibility with BEING a champion.

Sonnen is a one trick pony. People say he DOMINATED Silva. That's absolute BS! You don't lose by submission (OR knock out' date=' if it had come to that) and get a rematch. Rematches for champions should be for odd judges scorecards that are too close to call. If you tap out, you do not get an instant rematch. The only reason I can see there being an immediate rematch is because Anderson Silva has taken out the entire division.

Seriously, who did not see Sonnen losing by submission when most of his losses are from submission? It's not worth while to watch a fight where I know that Silva will win unless you buy into the hype train that Sonnen is trying to promote with his idiotic comments. If you want to watch drama and fighting, there's always professional wrestling around.[/quote']

yeah.. I too don't agree with those who say Sonnen dominated the fight.. I mean.. I can understand why people feel that way but truth is.. Sonnen scored at most 3 TDs in that fight. And most of all.. his strategy implied to be able to last without being knocked out AND without being submitted for ALL 5 ROUNDS. That's what people seem to forget. Sonnen needed not to avoid submissions for 4.5 rounds. he needed all of them. If even at 0:01 secs left to the 5th round he had tapped, it'd still be a lost. He landed tons of shots but really didn't do much damage. The whole point of his strategy and training was just to survive.. And he failed at that.. So yeah good job surviving Silva for 4.5 rounds. Few guys have done it. But that's really all you did.

At least I'm glad that we won't be hearing about a Hendo rematch anymore.

yeah.. I too don't agree with those who say Sonnen dominated the fight.. I mean.. I can understand why people feel that way but truth is.. Sonnen scored at most 3 TDs in that fight. And most of all.. his strategy implied to be able to last without being knocked out AND without being submitted for ALL 5 ROUNDS. That's what people seem to forget. Sonnen needed not to avoid submissions for 4.5 rounds. he needed all of them. If even at 0:01 secs left to the 5th round he had tapped' date=' it'd still be a lost. He landed tons of shots but really didn't do much damage. The whole point of his strategy and training was just to survive.. And he failed at that.. So yeah good job surviving Silva for 4.5 rounds. Few guys have done it. But that's really all you did.

At least I'm glad that we won't be hearing about a Hendo rematch anymore.[/quote']

He was up 49-44 until that last round. That's domination. I tip my hat to Silva for pulling it off, but to say he wasn't being creamed is just ignorant.

Sonnen deserves nothing, this is all about money. Hes not even a mixed martial artist, hes just a wrestler who talks **** about cancer victims etc. even if he beat Silva which he didnt/wont he'll never be a real champion. hes a one trick pony with no style or grace. I hope Anderson gets the job done quickly this time and Sonnen goes to Strikefrorce or something

He was up 49-44 until that last round. That's domination. I tip my hat to Silva for pulling it off' date=' but to say he wasn't being creamed is just ignorant.[/quote']

Sonnen landed the record for strikes in a 5 round fight and didn't even leave a mark on Anderson. He would have won on points had he survived but he didn't. He tapped out and gave up. This rematch is silly.

You must've missed the money Chael made the UFC........

The rematch was all but a guarantee.

I don't necessarily think Chael deserves an immediate rematch - Silva caught him in a clean sub, no question. However, he's clearly done 90% more against Anderson that anyone else in the division has. Outside of Vitor, who else could even be a consideration?

Watch the rematch pull even bigger numbers, then understand why it was set up.

......he's clearly done 100% more against Anderson that anyone else in the division has. ...........

fixed:p

He deserves a rematch because he or Vitor are the only hope at MW at least anytime soon. I'd love to see a recovered Wandy do it but I don't see it happening.

Cuz let's face it. Yes' date=' Sonnen does have the perfect style to cause Silva some problems. But even with that stylistic matchup rolling 100% for him, and at the top of is shape and game, Sonnen still failed and lost his fight.

Can you imagine Sonnen becoming the champ, getting his belt taken away by Maia? Can you imagine having Anderson Silva in the midst of MW contention competition while Maia is the champ? What kind of freaking ridiculous ******** would that be.[/quote']

This is a very smart rematch. Sonnen totally beating a whole in AS. Totatly dominated the standup and ground. NO ONE has come close to that kind of Clinic on AS. Who wants to see AS beat up on anyone else when you know that Chael has his number. I want to see it for sure. It appears that I'm not the only smart one, Joe Silva must be pretty smart too.

Fav Fighters

Hale Chael

Maynard

Condit

Brock Lesnar

Rampage

Sonnen landed the record for strikes in a 5 round fight and didn't even leave a mark on Anderson. He would have won on points had he survived but he didn't. He tapped out and gave up. This rematch is silly.

Silva was hurting after that fight. He has never been hit so hard. Why do you think he fell so may times? Let me anwser. Because Chael outstrucked the striker. Chael also out wrestled him. AS was very lucky that Chael got a little spacey. If he would have been a little more focused and aware that Silva was still dangerous he could have easily avoided that gimme.

I wonder if Anderson will take this fight more seriously now...surley this time he will do a fatality on the deranged republic fart. I think ol chal deserves a rematch....IF thats what HE really wants.

Now that's hularious. As vocal as Chael was, I'm sure that AS was motivated. He let a little smack from Mia motivate him and you don't think the Chael's campiagn onslaught on AS not motivate him. Now, that just blows my mind. AS just doesn't have the cardio and probably didn't want to engage in a war where he could totatly gas and become too vulnerable. Makes me wonder if AS wants to fight Chael again.

This is ridiculous....

Since when does losing fights earn title shots? We all know that Sonnen owned Silva for 4.5 rounds but this isn't right... I'm a BJ Penn fan and even I feel that he should have fought a few more rather than get an instant rematch.

This people... is how Dana is f'ing up the UFC.

I'm fine with this fight. I enjoyed the first one up until Silva caught him. Those of you calling Sonnen a one trick poney must have missed the part where he almost knocked Silva out, but you won't admit to seeing that because it shows AS is vulnerable.

The UFC handed him weak BJJ fighters when they should've been trying to get strong wrestlers. Hendo gave him problems until he gassed, and Sonnen whooped him until he got caught. I'd like to see him fight someone that takes it to him instead of letting him adjust to the opponent like most do. Leben would do that (now that he got life in order and KO'd 2 fighters in 2 weeks), Wandy would do that and has KO power, Belfort has strength and KO power... I'd cheer for any of them against Silva cause i'm tired of seeing him in the ring. Hope he retires after being on the receiving end of a vicious punch that knocks off that gay penciled in goatee he had on his face against Sonnen.

Silva was hurting after that fight. He has never been hit so hard. Why do you think he fell so may times? Let me anwser. Because Chael outstrucked the striker. Chael also out wrestled him. AS was very lucky that Chael got a little spacey. If he would have been a little more focused and aware that Silva was still dangerous he could have easily avoided that gimme.

that's the kind of stupid remarks I get... "Silva was lucky"

Oh yeah really.. Well if we stick to the facts Sonnen loses by submission pretty often and basically has no stand up.

So if I was to call any luck at all that could've occured in that fight, I'd say that Sonnen was damn lucky to clip Silva in the 1st round, he was lucky to not get completly destroyed on his feet, and above all, he was ****ing lucky that he wasn't submitted earlier.

I like how you guys twist it.

We have Anderson Silva, who's currently the best striker in the UFC and a legitimate BJJ black belt under the Nogueiras, legends in the sport. And we have Chael Sonnen. A guy who has great wrestling pedigree, but no great stand up (he even admits it himself), and loses over and over to submissions (now 8 out of 11 losses).

Now you guys look at it and think ok.. Sonnen clips Silva, that's legitimate. Sonnen gets submitted by Silva, that's lucky.. Oh wait. So you're telling me that the fact that the guy with admittedly no striking was able to knock down the best striker in the sport isn't lucky, but that this same guy, with historicaly TERRIBLE sub defence gets submitted, is luck?

Just WOW.

Your logic is BADAAAASSS

Why in the hell give Sonnen a rematch?

because he did PHENOMENALLY well against anderson.

better than anyone else.

and silva is a living legend in the UFC. record holder until the day he dies.

and because sonnen just about made me lose money the ****er.

I was pissed off until the 3rd minute of the 5th round.

at the begining of EVERY round I thought "okay silva, now is your time to shine, get in there and go for th.....AND hes down...AGAIN....."

best fight in YEARS and MORE than deserving of a rematch.

1. First fight was amazing

2. Silva said he wasn't 100%, so let him prove what he can do when he is 100%

3. No one else is really in line with a shot (Belfort has been out too long)

4. It wasn't a close fight, but the guy that had been losing by a mile got the win.

Why wouldn't you want to see this one again? I'm sure i will be happy no matter what the outcome (as long as it isn't dq)

Oh and if Sonnen had Maia now, he would just outstrike him. Easy.

because he did PHENOMENALLY well against anderson.

better than anyone else.

and silva is a living legend in the UFC. record holder until the day he dies.

and because sonnen just about made me lose money the ****er.

I was pissed off until the 3rd minute of the 5th round.

at the begining of EVERY round I thought "okay silva' date=' now is your time to shine, get in there and go for th.....AND hes down...AGAIN....."

best fight in YEARS and MORE than deserving of a rematch.[/quote']

Agreed! Except i enjoyed someone taking Silva down, made a change.

1. First fight was amazing

2. Silva said he wasn't 100%' date=' so let him prove what he can do when he is 100%

3. No one else is really in line with a shot (Belfort has been out too long)

4. It wasn't a close fight, but the guy that had been losing by a mile got the win.

Why wouldn't you want to see this one again? I'm sure i will be happy no matter what the outcome (as long as it isn't dq)

Oh and if Sonnen had Maia now, he would just outstrike him. Easy.[/quote']

Firstly a fit silva would submit sonnen in about 30 seconds in the first round rather than the 5th, and the same would happen against Maia! The guy has no SUBMISION DEFENSE!

that's the kind of stupid remarks I get... "Silva was lucky"

Oh yeah really.. Well if we stick to the facts Sonnen loses by submission pretty often and basically has no stand up.

So if I was to call any luck at all that could've occured in that fight' date=' I'd say that Sonnen was damn lucky to clip Silva in the 1st round, he was lucky to not get completly destroyed on his feet, and above all, he was ****ing lucky that he wasn't submitted earlier.

I like how you guys twist it.

We have Anderson Silva, who's currently the best striker in the UFC and a legitimate BJJ black belt under the Nogueiras, legends in the sport. And we have Chael Sonnen. A guy who has great wrestling pedigree, but no great stand up (he even admits it himself), and loses over and over to submissions (now 8 out of 11 losses).

Now you guys look at it and think ok.. Sonnen clips Silva, that's legitimate. Sonnen gets submitted by Silva, that's lucky.. Oh wait. So you're telling me that the fact that the guy with admittedly no striking was able to knock down the best striker in the sport isn't lucky, but that this same guy, with historicaly TERRIBLE sub defence gets submitted, is luck?

Just WOW.

Your logic is BADAAAASSS[/b']

Prob best post ever.

Firstly a fit silva would submit sonnen in about 30 seconds in the first round rather than the 5th' date=' and the same would happen against Maia! The guy has no SUBMISION DEFENSE![/quote']

Im not saying that wouldn't happen, but Silva has to prove it. A fully fit Silva would probably submit him pretty quick, but Chael has done enough to a least have one more go. Plus i think this would be good for Anderson. It gives him the chance to prove that fully fit no one can cause him problems.

As for Maia, he has terrible stand up, watch him against Marquardt it showed, then watch him against Anderson. Chael is a smart guy and I believe he would stand out completly dominated Maia on the feet winning by TKO.

Agreed! Except i enjoyed someone taking Silva down' date=' made a change.[/quote']

ofcourse.

that is what made the fight.

I was loving ever minute of that fight. take downs and all.

but when you have money riding on it you have to get a little pissed off.

it adds to the fun.

I didnt have a big bet on the fight, just 10$ between friends, but still. enough to get psyched.

the whole fight was exciting and peppered with trash talk between me and the guy I was betting with.

ofcourse.

that is what made the fight.

I was loving ever minute of that fight. take downs and all.

but when you have money riding on it you have to get a little pissed off.

it adds to the fun.

I didnt have a big bet on the fight' date=' just 10$ between friends, but still. enough to get psyched.

the whole fight was exciting and peppered with trash talk between me and the guy I was betting with.[/quote']

well i hope that your trash talking was more on Chael's side. Cause Anderson's wasn't great. I think his beast line was something about Chael stinking and smelling like a bear. I hope yours was less PG than that

Anderson will take the rematch.

UFC 117 was the BEST Sonnen there was to offer, and he lost to a WORST Anderson Silva we have ever seen.

Come the rematch Anderson will be healthy, re-invented and re-focused. I say TKO beginning of round 2. Left cross, right hook and a swift crescent kick to Chael's chin as he's trying to back up, followed by a flurry of punches after Chael hits the mat.

Just my thoughts. Man, if it really goes down like this...:P

The main problem with ALL of this is the simple fact sonnen wasn't champ therefore isn't intitled to rematch! If he was the champ and then lost (like Penn!) then yeah fair enough have a rematch, but I can't see the logic or fairness in the challenger having a rematch. I would feel pretty embarrassed if I was sonnen to even think that is a good thing!

Archived