Canada to ban mma

King_Can

Nation?s doctors debating support for a ban on MMA

NIAGARA FALLS, Ont. ? A debate among Canada?s doctors on whether to call for a nationwide ban on mixed martial arts is underway at the Canadian Medical Association?s annual conference and will wrap up Wednesday.

Debate on a motion calling for the CMA to advocate for the popular sporting events to be outlawed began Tuesday but time ran out before it reached a vote.

The proposed resolution was brought to the national meeting by doctors from British Columbia, who said mixed martial arts, popularized in North America by Ultimate Fighting Championship contests, put participants at high risk for brain injuries.

?By passing this resolution let us make it clear that Canadian doctors believe that any sport that has the intention of disabling one?s opponent by causing a brain injury deserves to be banned,? Dr. Ian Gillespie, president of the British Columbia Medical Association, told his fellow physicians.

He said that repetitive brain injuries, such as those experienced by some boxers, can lead to progressive neurological deterioration.

?The strategy that MMA fighters refer to as ?ground and pound? puts them on the fast track for the same consequences,? he said, explaining how one fighter straddles the other on the ground and hits him on both sides of the head.

?Our task is to provide legislators with our best medical advice. It?s then up to them to decide. We hope that our legislators will make decisions that put a priority on the brain health of Canadians,? he continued.

While the doctors who spoke to the motion were generally in favour of it, one expressed concerns that if UFC-style fights were successfully banned by all governments, they would simply be driven underground. The medical community?s ability to monitor the health of those who participate in them would consequently be limited, said Dr. Shawn Tiller, chief of the emergency department at a Gander, N.L., hospital.

?I?m hesitant to approve this because if we do, then it does become an underground industry. It?s not going to go away, that?s the unfortunate thing,? he said.

Proponents of MMA have argued there is no evidence the sport is any more dangerous than other contact sports and that there is a long list of rules designed to keep fighters safe.

Ontario recently became the latest province to allow MMA.

Prince Edward Island, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland and Labrador, Yukon and Nunavut have a ban on it and in New Brunswick it is only allowed in Moncton.

this makes me embarresed to be canadian. how can they ban mma and not boxing? makes no sense what so ever to me.

NIAGARA FALLS' date=' Ont. ? A debate among Canada?s doctors on whether to call for a nationwide ban on mixed martial arts is underway at the Canadian Medical Association?s annual conference and will wrap up Wednesday.

Debate on a motion calling for the CMA to advocate for the popular sporting events to be outlawed began Tuesday but time ran out before it reached a vote.

The proposed resolution was brought to the national meeting by doctors from British Columbia, who said mixed martial arts, popularized in North America by Ultimate Fighting Championship contests, put participants at high risk for brain injuries.

?By passing this resolution let us make it clear that Canadian doctors believe that any sport that has the intention of disabling one?s opponent by causing a brain injury deserves to be banned,? Dr. Ian Gillespie, president of the British Columbia Medical Association, told his fellow physicians.

He said that repetitive brain injuries, such as those experienced by some boxers, can lead to progressive neurological deterioration.

?The strategy that MMA fighters refer to as ?ground and pound? puts them on the fast track for the same consequences,? he said, explaining how one fighter straddles the other on the ground and hits him on both sides of the head.

?Our task is to provide legislators with our best medical advice. It?s then up to them to decide. We hope that our legislators will make decisions that put a priority on the brain health of Canadians,? he continued.

While the doctors who spoke to the motion were generally in favour of it, one expressed concerns that if UFC-style fights were successfully banned by all governments, they would simply be driven underground. The medical community?s ability to monitor the health of those who participate in them would consequently be limited, said Dr. Shawn Tiller, chief of the emergency department at a Gander, N.L., hospital.

?I?m hesitant to approve this because if we do, then it does become an underground industry. It?s not going to go away, that?s the unfortunate thing,? he said.

Proponents of MMA have argued there is no evidence the sport is any more dangerous than other contact sports and that there is a long list of rules designed to keep fighters safe.

Prince Edward Island, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland and Labrador, Yukon and Nunavut have a ban on it and in New Brunswick it is only allowed in Moncton.

this makes me embarresed to be canadian. how can they ban mma and not boxing? makes no sense what so ever to me.[/quote']

it wont get banned so dont worry. its too big to get banned especially with WEC coming to edmonton soon, ontario just legalizing it, its built up too much steam it wont get stopped.

NIAGARA FALLS' date=' Ont. ? A debate among Canada?s doctors on whether to call for a nationwide ban on mixed martial arts is underway at the Canadian Medical Association?s annual conference and will wrap up Wednesday.

this makes me embarresed to be canadian. how can they ban mma and not boxing? makes no sense what so ever to me.[/quote']

Saskatchewan only has Pro fights banned because we don't have an athletic commission to over see it. Just that is changing

Is only old doctor who dont have anyting to do beter then try to remove a sport who start to be huge in Canada .

Canadian support MMA from the start , we buy PPV from a long time and we buy way more PPV if u compare to the population we have .

Im gonna write a letter to my depute to ask him to neutralise this bunch of stupid doctor .

Saskatchewan only has Pro fights banned because we don't have an athletic commission to over see it. Just that is changing

Ha! I've been wondering why they only allow amateur fights. That's messed up.

From what I understand, here in Manitoba, we don't allow amateur MMA, but we allow pro. Weird, eh?

Thanks, Kang!

GSP was just in Ottawa earlier this year meeting with politicians and signing autographs. Nothing more than the CMA trying to garner some press for itself.

Who cares what Canada does? Canada sucks.

I'm assuming Dana White and the UFC cares. Seeing as he has repeatedly called Canada the mecca of MMA, said we are responsible for a large part of the PPV buys and recently opened the first UFC office outside of the US in Toronto.

Show me a UFC event in the US that sold out before the tickets even went on sale outside the fan club like Vancouver did.

?The strategy that MMA fighters refer to as ?ground and pound? puts them on the fast track for the same consequences' date='? he said, explaining how one fighter straddles the other on the ground and hits him on both sides of the head.

[/quote']

Stupid me I thought boxers were allowed to hit both sides of the head too.

I'm assuming Dana White and the UFC cares. Seeing as he has repeatedly called Canada the mecca of MMA' date=' said we are responsible for a large part of the PPV buys and recently opened the first UFC office outside of the US in Toronto.[/quote']

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the UFC have an office in the UK?

Who cares what Canada does? Canada sucks.

Haha nice try. Please provide reasons for the suckage.

Is it the beautiful wilderness?

Abundant wildlife?

Scores of sexy women?

Welcoming all comers?

Comforting crime rate?

Long history of kicking ****, whether literally or metaphorically?

Thats right. Drink your mountain dew, stroke your side arm and keep being a retard. Retard.

I saw this article. I read it and couldn't help but think it was one-sided attack on MMA and has nothing to do with fighter safety. As it says, they'd have to ban a lot of other sports too if they banned MMA. It's sad when people try to force others to think in their narrow-minded way by passing bans. MMA sparring will happen in gyms regardless of the ban anyway, it'll just stop the medically-supervised, paying-competition aspect of it.

It's lame, CMA get a life...

calm down fella the british version of this has voted in favour of banning boxing more times than i can count

just because they say it should be banned does not mean it will

Archived