Sign in to follow this  
B00mer

Chael Sonnen Earns Rematch

If you read the article carefully rather than just reading the title you see that Dana is non-committal about a rematch.

he said "It's definitely a rematch I think people are going to want to see," White said after the event "Looking at Twitter, everybody is saying, 'Rematch. Rematch.' We'll see what happens. Vitor is waiting to fight right now, too. We could do the rematch with Chael, but we'll see what happens. We'll see how it goes."

Sure rematch is being spit around the forums a lot, but Dana didn't say it IS for sure.

Me I think a rematch is unwarranted. Chael had a great first round, nobody is saying he didn't own that first round. He did. But he layed and prayed for 17 minutes from round 2-5 at the 3 minute mark he finally gets triangled by an injured Anderson Silva. Chael's lay n pray is as boring as it gets. I'd rather watch paint dry than hear Chael talk all the smack and sit in Silva's guard for 25 minutes praying that he doesn't get submitted or cut open.

Sonnen had 23 minutes to finish Silva and the best he could do is bleed on him and box his ears. Pathetic. Anderson did more damage from the bottom than Sonnen did from the top. I'd actually respect Sonnen if he had some EFFECTIVE ground and pound but all he has is semi-effective lay n pray.

I'd rather see Vitor Belfort get a shot, frankly. But whatever if UFC wants to try the Sonnen v. Silva 2 fight, all I can see is submission or KO Silva. Chael aint got a chance. He never did. :)

** I read the article again. It implies the rematch will happen immediately. What I quoted Dana saying, from the article was actually a quote taken directly after the rematch. Apparently Dana does want to do the rematch next. But I'd like to see a quote of his that confirms it. The article says that he confirmed it but doesn't show the relevant quote.

I hope it doesn't happen again. Lol crossing fingers. **

If you read the article carefully rather than just reading the title you see that Dana is non-committal about a rematch.

he said "It's definitely a rematch I think people are going to want to see' date='" White said after the event "Looking at Twitter, everybody is saying, 'Rematch. Rematch.' We'll see what happens. Vitor is waiting to fight right now, too. We could do the rematch with Chael, but we'll see what happens. We'll see how it goes."

Sure rematch is being spit around the forums a lot, but Dana didn't say it IS for sure.

[b']Me I think a rematch is unwarranted. Chael had a great first round, nobody is saying he didn't own that first round. He did. But he layed and prayed for 17 minutes from round 2-5 at the 3 minute mark he finally gets triangled by an injured Anderson Silva. Chael's lay n pray is as boring as it gets. I'd rather watch paint dry than hear Chael talk all the smack and sit in Silva's guard for 25 minutes praying that he doesn't get submitted or cut open.

Sonnen had 23 minutes to finish Silva and the best he could do is bleed on him and box his ears. Pathetic. Anderson did more damage from the bottom than Sonnen did from the top. I'd actually respect Sonnen if he had some EFFECTIVE ground and pound but all he has is semi-effective lay n pray.

I'd rather see Vitor Belfort get a shot, frankly. But whatever if UFC wants to try the Sonnen v. Silva 2 fight, all I can see is submission or KO Silva. Chael aint got a chance. He never did. :)[/b]

** I read the article again. It implies the rematch will happen immediately. What I quoted Dana saying, from the article was actually a quote taken directly after the rematch. Apparently Dana does want to do the rematch next. But I'd like to see a quote of his that confirms it. The article says that he confirmed it but doesn't show the relevant quote.

This. who can actually say they'd rather see chael try and sit on silva for 5 rounds than see the stand-up war of Silva vs Belfort. It shocks me it really does

This. who can actually say they'd rather see chael try and sit on silva for 5 rounds than see the stand-up war of Silva vs Belfort. It shocks me it really does

Its all the kids whove been brainwashed by the Sonnen hype train...he didnt earn anything except a gag-ball and a trip to the back of the MW contender line.

Belfort v Silva= fair and much better than sonnen v silva 2

Its all the kids whove been brainwashed by the Sonnen hype train...he didnt earn anything except a gag-ball and a trip to the back of the MW contender line.

Belfort v Silva= fair and much better than sonnen v silva 2

this.

he said "It's definitely a rematch I think people are going to want to see' date='" White said after the event "Looking at Twitter, everybody is saying, 'Rematch. Rematch.' We'll see what happens. Vitor is waiting to fight right now, too. We could do the rematch with Chael, but we'll see what happens. We'll see how it goes."

[b']Sure rematch is being spit around the forums a lot, but Dana didn't say it IS for sure.[/b]

Me I think a rematch is unwarranted. Chael had a great first round, nobody is saying he didn't own that first round. He did. But he layed and prayed for 17 minutes from round 2-5 at the 3 minute mark he finally gets triangled by an injured Anderson Silva. Chael's lay n pray is as boring as it gets. I'd rather watch paint dry than hear Chael talk all the smack and sit in Silva's guard for 25 minutes praying that he doesn't get submitted or cut open.

I'd rather see Vitor Belfort get a shot, frankly. But whatever if UFC wants to try the Sonnen v. Silva 2 fight, all I can see is submission or KO Silva. Chael aint got a chance. He never did. :)

Yes he has. http://www.790theticket.com/lebatard.aspx Scroll down a little ways and click "Dana White - UFC President".

Sonnen should fight Belfort for the title shot if Belfort has recovered.

I wonder what Sonnen will say before this fight. Maybe he will admit he has pillow hands or he will admit his submission D is atrocious. I understand why people wanna see a rematch but i do not know why he should be granted one. It wasn't a sketchy decision or a decision at all for that matter. Sonnen got finished he should drop in the rankings and have to fight Vitor or another top MW.

I hope it doesn't happen again. Lol crossing fingers. **[/quote']

smartest thing i have heard im happy he will get a rematch just so we can see anderson destroy chael and has any1 thought about what stuiped things Chael will say this time. and im also happy for this rematch so Vitor can get a tune up fight before fighting anderson for the title, he will most likely fight Chris Leben

a rematch doesnt make sense, ya chael had a good performance but he got sub'd, theres no controversy.. he should have to work his way back up

the way i see it, Okami should fight Belfort for #1 contender and Sonnen should get matched up with Leben

Chael is deserving of a rematch just because noone has ever taken a fight to Anderson like that before.... I was over-joyed to finally see someone go toe-to-toe with the Spider, and he ever dropped hijm a couple times. I think that was one of the most exciting fights that both Chael and Anderson have been in. The fight had everything, exciting stand up exchanges, both fighters were dropped, good ground work and even a submission. I am looking forward to this rematch.

PS mangoKush, I got that juicy fruit.

I like this fight and I want Chael to win.

On the other hand why do people keep saying Belfort should get the shot first anyway? Yes he fought and tko'ed Franklin at 195*, but he's only had 1 fight since being back in the UFC. That AND he's riding hype from damn near 10 years ago. Yes he does have great jits and striking, but c'mon on folks. He should fight a few more guys and if he dominates a top fighter at 185 (Marquardt, or hell even Okami) Then depending on how he wins he should be given a shot.

Chael did lose that fight fair and square but, he was 2 minutes ago from taking it, and he got caught I mean it wasn't like Silva was like "Okay i've had enough let's finish this.......Ohhhhhhhhh that was easy."

No, he tried that entire fight to 1) Control Sonnen. and 2) Submit him. The closest thing that comes to my mind was a kimura attempt in like round 2-3? And Sonnen was clearly defending it like your supposed to. Chael I think showed he had pretty good BBJ Defence in that fight even thought he got caught Silva worked that entire fight, throwing up the body triangle and trying to keep his posture under control which he was clearly not doing, other than when Chael was slapping his ears around.

Either way I'm happy for the rematch and I'm glad Sonnen gets to get back in there and show everyone up...again.

I like this fight and I want Chael to win.

On the other hand why do people keep saying Belfort should get the shot first anyway? Yes he fought and tko'ed Franklin at 195*' date=' but he's only had 1 fight since being back in the UFC. That AND he's riding hype from damn near 10 years ago. Yes he does have great jits and striking, but c'mon on folks. He should fight a few more guys and if he dominates a top fighter at 185 (Marquardt, or hell even Okami) Then depending on how he wins he should be given a shot.

Chael did lose that fight fair and square but, he was 2 minutes ago from taking it, and he got caught I mean it wasn't like Silva was like "Okay i've had enough let's finish this.......Ohhhhhhhhh that was easy."

No, he tried that entire fight to 1) Control Sonnen. and 2) Submit him. The closest thing that comes to my mind was a kimura attempt in like round 2-3? And Sonnen was clearly defending it like your supposed to. Chael I think showed he had pretty good BBJ Defence in that fight even thought he got [u']caught[/u] Silva worked that entire fight, throwing up the body triangle and trying to keep his posture under control which he was clearly not doing, other than when Chael was slapping his ears around.

Either way I'm happy for the rematch and I'm glad Sonnen gets to get back in there and show everyone up...again.

Sonnen is undeserving. He QUIT in the 5th round. He should be in the back of the line. Silva should be fighting Belfort next so that he clears out the MW division. He could then move up in weight and embarass some of the LHW fighters before his retirement.

Again why is Belfort getting a title shot in a Division he hasn't fought in? Because he fought Franklin? Franklin got tooled by Silva in both their fights and lost a decision to Hendo. And whose he beat since? Matt Hamill? Chuck Liddell?

Again why is Belfort getting a title shot in a Division he hasn't fought in? Because he fought Franklin? Franklin got tooled by Silva in both their fights and lost a decision to Hendo. And whose he beat since? Matt Hamill? Chuck Liddell?

I agree buddy, the MW division is pretty dead now. Belfort is the only contender coming out of a win. Okami also won, but he needs one or two more fights.

And Belfort is overrated IMO, he'll get tooled if he stands with Silva and submitted if he goes to the ground.

Silva has already beat everybody in MW that is relavent decisively. Why have him do it more to the same people over and over again?

I mean I'm not hating on Belfort, but I don't think he should get the shot yet. He is undeserving if ou ask me. But, hey alls well that ends well the UFC always puts on great fights unless Fitch is fighting haha so they keep putting them together and i'll keep watching them.