Edgar vs Penn 2 determines 1 & 2 lightweights in the world.

wingzero8717

People may say that Frankie Edgar got lucky and and cant be 1 or 2 lightweight in the world but i disagree heres why.

Frankie Edgar- He may be a small light weight but he has good wrestling. Paired with his solid boxing, great head and foot movement. And his jiu jitsu is coming along. I think Edgar could put up a good fight against any lightweight in the world. I think he could beat Florian or Maynard. Since his loss to Maynard hes improved drastically.

BJ Penn- Then theres BJ Penn has had dominant wins over top notch lightweight competition. He has great boxing skills. Paired with world class jiu jitsu and takedown defense. I still believe Penn to be #1 in the world but i don't think he will just destroy Frankie in the rematch but i do see him winning.

In conclusion i think the only lightweight capable of beating Edgar or Penn at this time is one another. So the winner of this fight will be the #1 lightweight and loser #2 thats how i see it.

I'd fancy Kenny Florian to give Frankie a real run for his money. Although Edgar is no joke' date=' I agree. I'd also like to see how Gilbert Melendez would fair against some of the UFC LWs. It's getting pretty boring just watching him destroy everyone in Strikeforce.[/quote']

Agreed Melendez would be a good addition to the UFC's LW division.

Frankie Edgar can beat anyone in the LW division in my opinion. He would beat KenFlo but lose to Maynard. This is just my opinion by the way.

Edgar has improved vastly since the loss to Maynard the only person i can see beating Edgar at Lightweight is BJ Penn. Both BJ and Edgar would work Maynard. I mean Maynard barely out struck Nate Diaz.

That win that Frankie wasn't really a dominant win so I don't put him as #1. Florian and maynard are the only fighters that can really test bj. Penn will get his belt back this Saturday than go on to fight maynard IMO.

I agree but the question for Maynard vs Penn will be can Maynard take BJ down if Penn is well conditioned the answer is no. Then once Maynard gets him down he will have to worry about BJ's jiu jitsu. And Maynard has been submitted from the top position buy Nate Diaz.

That win that Frankie wasn't really a dominant win so I don't put him as #1. Florian and maynard are the only fighters that can really test bj. Penn will get his belt back this Saturday than go on to fight maynard IMO.

But he still beat the #1 LW in the world.

Although I agree that Penn will get his belt back this Saturday, Edgar is still the #1 LW for the next 3 days.

I agree but the question for Maynard vs Penn will be can Maynard take BJ down if Penn is well conditioned the answer is no. Then once Maynard gets him down he will have to worry about BJ's jiu jitsu. And Maynard has been submitted from the top position buy Nate Diaz.

Maynard will beat florian I'm sure of this. Maynard can take bj down, it won't be easy but he can do it. Maynard is very strong and big for the lw division. He has great cardio, footwork, and solid boxing. I really don't see Maynard getting finished by penn. If either of one wins it will be a decision IMO.

Maynard will beat florian I'm sure of this. Maynard can take bj down' date=' it won't be easy but he can do it. Maynard is very strong and big for the lw division. He has great cardio, footwork, and solid boxing. I really don't see Maynard getting finished by penn. If either of one wins it will be a decision IMO.[/quote']

BJ has the ability to finish Maynard by submission

maynard wont beat florian no chance, florian has way superior standup than maynard hes gonig to dominate him on the feet, i think maynard will be scared of taking florian to the ground, florians gnp and bjj are very good he has a very high chance of submitting maynard on the ground. I think it will either be tko win due to cut by florian or a decision win to florian.

i also think florian could beat edgar to, Florian has a great jab and is quick on his feet, what let down penn in his fight was his jab and short reach combined with his slow footwork, i think florian would have a good chance agiasnt edgar.

maynard wont beat florian no chance' date=' florian has way superior standup than maynard hes gonig to dominate him on the feet, i think maynard will be scared of taking florian to the ground, florians gnp and bjj are very good he has a very high chance of submitting maynard on the ground. I think it will either be tko win due to cut by florian or a decision win to florian.

i also think florian could beat edgar to, Florian has a great jab and is quick on his feet, what let down penn in his fight was his jab and short reach combined with his slow footwork, i think florian would have a good chance agiasnt edgar.[/quote']

Maynard has great footwork and good enough boxing. He's got great cardio, awesome wrestleling, and good sub defence. This fight is gonna look allot like sonnen vs silva with Maynard as sonnen of course. The last time florian faced a strong dominant wrestleler it didn't go so well. Maynard by UD.

Maynard has great footwork and good enough boxing. He's got great cardio' date=' awesome wrestleling, and good sub defence. This fight is gonna look allot like sonnen vs silva with Maynard as sonnen of course. The last time florian faced a strong dominant wrestleler it didn't go so well. Maynard by UD.[/quote']

I agree we will be seeing Penn vs Maynard but i think BJ will beat Maynard by submission.

People may say that Frankie Edgar got lucky and and cant be 1 or 2 lightweight in the world but i disagree heres why.

Frankie Edgar- He may be a small light weight but he has good wrestling. Paired with his solid boxing' date=' great head and foot movement. And his jiu jitsu is coming along. I think Edgar could put up a good fight against any lightweight in the world. I think he could beat Florian or Maynard. Since his loss to Maynard hes improved drastically.

[b']BJ Penn-[/b] Then theres BJ Penn has had dominant wins over top notch lightweight competition. He has great boxing skills. Paired with world class jiu jitsu and takedown defense. I still believe Penn to be #1 in the world but i don't think he will just destroy Frankie in the rematch but i do see him winning.

In conclusion i think the only lightweight capable of beating Edgar or Penn at this time is one another. So the winner of this fight will be the #1 lightweight and loser #2 thats how i see it.

IMO Gilbert Melendez would probably beat Edgar easily hes the best LW in the sport next to BJ Penn

Archived