boxing gloves vs. mma gloves

tha_dude

i put this thread here because UFC is quickly becoming synonomous with MMA.

it didn't start with the james toney experiment, but it did become more prevalent, and now bader is saying the same thing: people think that they hit harder with MMA gloves on. it's totally false and i'm gonna tell you why.

force = mass x velocity

physics kids, physics.

boxing gloves typically weigh 16 oz. while MMA gloves weigh 4 oz. thus, boxing gloves have a greater mass. wearing boxing gloves is like having a 1 pound weapon in your hand. i remember dana saying something similar a few years ago when he was making a comment about MMA being safer than boxing. you can argue with dana all you want, but you can't argue against the science behind what he said.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it didn't start with the james toney experiment' date=' but it did become more prevalent, and now bader is saying the same thing: people think that they hit harder with MMA gloves on. it's totally false and i'm gonna tell you why.

force = mass x velocity

physics kids, physics.

boxing gloves typically weigh 16 oz. while MMA gloves weigh 4 oz. thus, boxing gloves have a greater mass. wearing boxing gloves is like having a 1 pound weapon in your hand. i remember dana saying something similar a few years ago when he was making a comment about MMA being safer than boxing. you can argue with dana all you want, but you can't argue against the science behind what he said.[/quote']

you're right but they have more cushion than mma gloves

DONT BE ****ING DUMB KID

MMA gloves are lighter. Lighter = more speed. more speed = more power.

Also more mass of the glove such as a boxing glove spreads out the force of the hit.

So if i were to punch you with my bare knuckle, your nose would break very easily.

If i put a glove on, the force spreads and it wont do as much damage. I mean are you ****ing dumb kid?

Boxers get hit with 1 punch hard shots and they dont get cut at all and dont even get rocked. But when an mma fighter hits you with 1 punch with a small glove it hurts more, u get rocked more, and you get damaged more. LOL

it didn't start with the james toney experiment' date=' but it did become more prevalent, and now bader is saying the same thing: people think that they hit harder with MMA gloves on. it's totally false and i'm gonna tell you why.

force = mass x velocity

physics kids, physics.

boxing gloves typically weigh 16 oz. while MMA gloves weigh 4 oz. thus, boxing gloves have a greater mass. wearing boxing gloves is like having a 1 pound weapon in your hand. i remember dana saying something similar a few years ago when he was making a comment about MMA being safer than boxing. you can argue with dana all you want, but you can't argue against the science behind what he said.[/quote']

You have to consider to the force per unit area (i.e. the pressure) applied to your target.

A boxing glove will diperse pressure over a wider area whereas an MMA glove will apply the force to a smaller area (therefore greature pressure).

Given that you only need to hit a small area of the chin for a KO (the so-called button) I think its reasonable to assume that people can KO people easier with MMA gloves

You have to consider to the force per unit area (i.e. the pressure) applied to your target.

A boxing glove will diperse pressure over a wider area whereas an MMA glove will apply the force to a smaller area (therefore greature pressure).

Given that you only need to hit a small area of the chin for a KO (the so-called button) I think its reasonable to assume that people can KO people easier with MMA gloves

exactly what i was saying above.

DONT BE ****ING DUMB KID

Also more mass of the glove such as a boxing glove spreads out the force of the hit.

So if i were to punch you with my bare knuckle' date=' your nose would break very easily.

If i put a glove on, the force spreads and it wont do as much damage. I mean are you ****ing dumb kid?

Boxers get hit with 1 punch hard shots and they dont get cut at all and dont even get rocked. But when an mma fighter hits you with 1 punch with a small glove it hurts more, u get rocked more, and you get damaged more. LOL[/quote']

nice!! :D

DONT BE ****ING DUMB KID

So if i were to punch you with my bare knuckle' date=' your nose would break very easily.

Boxers get hit with 1 punch hard shots and they dont get cut at all and dont even get rocked. But when an mma fighter hits you with 1 punch with a small glove it hurts more, u get rocked more, and you get damaged more. LOL[/quote']

if you're going to be insulting, than so am i you moron. you know nothing of physics. you are implying that if i wrap a thin layer of padding around a baseball bat and whack you upside the head, it isn't going to hurt because it's padded? as for more speed, really? it's not like boxing gloves weigh 20 pounds so as to slow down the punch. there is more force behind a punch thrown with boxing gloves on than one thrown with MMA gloves or no gloves at all because it makes your fist weigh more. any other opinion is just plain stupid and uninformed. you telling me that science is wrong is like you telling me that 2+2=5. ****.

that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that a boxing gloved punch carries more force than an MMA gloved punch. i'm not talking about being lucky enough to land on "the button". your typical punch to the head. do you want to get hit with 800 pounds of force or 900? all you little forum rats think you know something. i say again: YOU CANNOT ARGUE WITH THE SCIENCE BEHIND WHAT I SAID.

think of it this way: which one would you rather get run over by:

a train moving at 10 MPH or a bicycle moving at 10 MPH?

now why do you suppose that is?

maybe we should put a pillow on the front of the train, that way it won't hurt.

you're right but they have more cushion than mma gloves

cushion just means you won't feel my knuckles and it reduces the chance of a cut when i smash your face in. do people bother to even TRY to comprehend other peoples posts before they open their trap or are you genetically programmed to disagree with proven science?

Your stupid man. Do you even know a little bit about boxing or mma training? I currently train right now, why do you think when training in mma we use boxing gloves? WE DONT WANT TO GET KNOCKED OUT IN SPARRING! Boxing gloves spread the force of the punch out much more, thus you dont get knocked out or rocked as easily. I understand you are trying to break it down into a science. However you comparing 16 oz gloves and 4 oz gloves to a train and bicycle are a little extreme. In fact it is crazy to even compare the two. Also your science is a little flawed, when you take into consideration the great increase in velocity in which you can throw your punches with 4 oz gloves. If you do not think that matters you are crazy, you should try punching a bag with 16 oz gloves then put on 4 oz gloves and see what happens. You can ask any trainer, fighter, etc. taking a bare knuckle punch is by far the worst. Why do you think they do not allow it anymore, and force fighters to wear gloves? The force is pinpoint and not spread out, plust you can throw a bare knuckle hand so much faster, which increases the force. Why do you think dana was grinning in ear to ear when he thought of james toney wearing 4 oz gloves? With mma gloves you can do soo much more damage. Please explain to me why there are many more flash KO's in mma than boxing?

The only reason that boxing is more dangerous than mma is because you take so many shots to the head which cause brain damage, swelling, etc. In mma you get knocked out if you get hit with any type of force in the right spot. In boxing you can be ok after taking multiple heavy shots. They also do not stop fights as quickly in boxing, that is the only reason it is more dangerous. Not because the gloves are heavier.

Depends on what you mean by hitting harder. Personally I find being hit by an MMA glove more painful than being hit by a boxing glove. Being hit by a boxing glove is more like a dull thud.

Granted the gloves are more heavy so physics says it it would have greater force, but I think the difference would be minimal, its more to do with how good the fighter is at punching.

I believe boxing is more dangerous than MMA because 70/80% of the fight is being clubbed in the head. And then when you get dropped you get a standing 8 count, and your allowed to be dropped 3 times in a round! When you get dropped that means you've had enough not, get up and take some more punishment 3 more times or more.

Your stupid man. Do you even know a little bit about boxing or mma training? I currently train right now' date=' why do you think when training in mma we use boxing gloves? WE DONT WANT TO GET KNOCKED OUT IN SPARRING! Boxing gloves spread the force of the punch out much more, thus you dont get knocked out or rocked as easily. I understand you are trying to break it down into a science. However you comparing 16 oz gloves and 4 oz gloves to a train and bicycle are a little extreme. In fact it is crazy to even compare the two. Also your science is a little flawed, when you take into consideration the great increase in velocity in which you can throw your punches with 4 oz gloves. If you do not think that matters you are crazy, you should try punching a bag with 16 oz gloves then put on 4 oz gloves and see what happens. You can ask any trainer, fighter, etc. taking a bare knuckle punch is by far the worst. Why do you think they do not allow it anymore, and force fighters to wear gloves? The force is pinpoint and not spread out, plust you can throw a bare knuckle hand so much faster, which increases the force. Why do you think dana was grinning in ear to ear when he thought of james toney wearing 4 oz gloves? With mma gloves you can do soo much more damage. Please explain to me why there are many more flash KO's in mma than boxing?

The only reason that boxing is more dangerous than mma is because you take so many shots to the head which cause brain damage, swelling, etc. In mma you get knocked out if you get hit with any type of force in the right spot. In boxing you can be ok after taking multiple heavy shots. They also do not stop fights as quickly in boxing, that is the only reason it is more dangerous. Not because the gloves are heavier.[/quote']

i see that you are another one of those idiots that is incapable of comprehending what i was saying. boxing glove = more force. pure and simple. i made no statements about dispersion of force yet you made assumptions and then insulted me. MMA gloves may bust your head up more easily, but boxing gloves scramble your brains due to a greater force. however, go ahead and feel free to argue with proven science. let me take a guess: 9th grade education?

news flash: the world is not flat. turns out it's round. care to argue about that one too?

"quickly"? becoming synonomous? the ufc has been for the past 9 years....

Physics kids physics? what makes you think we're kids and what do you actually know about physics...

It has to do with the power of the puncher not the gloves....

i see you're under-educated too. believe it or not, the sport is actually called "MMA" and not "UFC". i made that statement about being synonomous because i posted this in the "UFC" part of the forum. it was just a simple explanation. jacka$$.

as for what i know about physics, i 'll say it again: force = mass x velocity. that's all i need to know about physics as it pertains to this topic.

as for the power of the puncher, i see that you too failed to comprehend my post and that you know NOTHING about physics (odd, since you questioned my knowledge). name a fighter, any fighter, and that fighter will generate more force wearing boxing gloves than he will wearing MMA gloves.

anymore of you uneducated, disagreeable soley for the purpose of disagreeing, little forum prix want to show me how stupid you are? winning a battle of wits against a pack of morons leaves me feeling empty.

"The only reason that boxing is more dangerous than mma is because you take so many shots to the head which cause brain damage, swelling, etc"

In fact it has more to do with who is throwing the punch.

In boxing you have punches being thrown by men who are the best punch throwes money can buy.

In MMA you have punches being thrown by men who are not the best punch throwers money can buy.

See the difference?

i see that you are another one of those idiots that is incapable of comprehending what i was saying. boxing glove = more force. pure and simple. i made no statements about dispersion of force yet you made assumptions and then insulted me. MMA gloves may bust your head up more easily' date=' but boxing gloves scramble your brains due to a greater force. however, go ahead and feel free to argue with proven science. let me take a guess: 9th grade education?

news flash: the world is not flat. turns out it's round. care to argue about that one too?[/quote']

man.. you are the most stubborn troll today, or a moron...

Go freaking ask someone that actually has used a pair of mma or boxing gloves before you make more of a fool out of yourself...

djezes...

do not argue physics if you do not understand it.. its just moronic.

Depends on what you mean by hitting harder. Personally I find being hit by an MMA glove more painful than being hit by a boxing glove. Being hit by a boxing glove is more like a dull thud.

Granted the gloves are more heavy so physics says it it would have greater force' date=' but I think the difference would be minimal, its more to do with how good the fighter is at punching.

I believe boxing is more dangerous than MMA because 70/80% of the fight is being clubbed in the head. And then when you get dropped you get a standing 8 count, and your allowed to be dropped 3 times in a round! When you get dropped that means you've had enough not, get up and take some more punishment 3 more times or more.[/quote']

finally! someone who understands what i am talking about. you, sir, are a gentleman.

"The only reason that boxing is more dangerous than mma is because you take so many shots to the head which cause brain damage' date=' swelling, etc"

In fact it has more to do with who is throwing the punch.

In boxing you have punches being thrown by men who are the best punch throwes money can buy.

In MMA you have punches being thrown by men who are not the best punch throwers money can buy.

See the difference?[/quote']

Yes, it is true that boxers can throw better punches with more technique, however there are many mma fighters that were/are pro boxers. However, still the fact remains that boxing is more dangerous because of the number of power punches you can take to the head with out being knocked out. Think about how much punishment your head takes in a 12 round fight. This is how people become punch drunk, have brain damage, and brain swelling. Although I do agree that boxers usually can throw better punches, that is not the whole reason behind why boxing is more dangerous.

man.. you are the most stubborn troll today' date=' or a moron...

Go freaking ask someone that actually has used a pair of mma or boxing gloves before you make more of a fool out of yourself...

djezes...

do not argue physics if you do not understand it.. its just moronic.[/quote']

i'm not a troll. i made a factual statement that people are trying to disagree with. i would think that a college educated man such as yourself would know the basics of physics. it looks like i'm wrong. boxing gloves generate more force. it is a fact, not an opinion. just because you don't feel the bare knuckles doesn't mean it isn't bruising your brain. perhaps you have taken 1 to many shots to the head by someone wearing a 1 pound club on the end of their hand. ask ali, holyfield or toney what getting hit in the head over and over with a nice soft boxing glove can do to your brain.

Are you James Toney? GTFO

you make a great point! oh wait, you made no point at all.

i don't care what it "feels" like to get hit by an MMA glove vs. a boxing glove, because that's not the point i'm trying to make. the fact is, the boxing glove has more force.

tha_dude: bringing education and intelligence to the forum, but meeting resistance the entire way.

force = mass x velocity

physics kids' date=' physics.

[/quote']

Not really

Force = Mass x Acceleration

Energy = 1/2 x Mass x Velocity^2

If you cant even get the basics right dont talk about physics

Force unit Newton=kgm/s^2

Velocity m/s Aceleration m/s^2

By looking at the units and basic algebra even your units show your complete failure in physics.

Besides fight physics arent that simple, there are multiple variables that vary a lot, but i would say the movement energy that you can apply to your opponents head is more relevant than the force you need to use to move a glove. That being said ~ bigger the velocity = bigger energy so smaller gloves are easier to accelerate into high speed thus giving you more movement energy, however this is too simplified to be valid in real life conditions. Too many variables.

you are all wrong. Well not all. MMA gloves hurt more. Do not spread as much force therefore more damage and more KO's. Thats why you get caught in MMA more so than Boxing.

Also when you wear 4ox. gloves instead of 8-10oz gloves you have more speed.

And you know what that means. more speed = more power.

If i run into a 200pound man and you are 200lbs, the faster person will be the one who tackles the other one.

ITs so simple. GTFO tha_boy. or whatever your gay **** name is.

force = mass x velocity

physics kids, physics.

Unfortunately your elementary level understanding of science leaves out a very simple fact.

Boxing gloves are more padded, which means the impact has GIVE. So the energy does not transfer totally. When the padding GIVES it absorbs a large amount of the force. Like Kevlar.

The small gloves has LESS give, and so translate MORE energy. Like the difference between a nerf bat and a real bat.

So there ya go. I know that you had only a 5th grade understanding of physics. Now I just graduated you up to 7th grade. A few more threads and you might get into highschool.

"Boxing gloves are more padded' date=' which means the impact has GIVE"

Its not quite that simple.

Boxers hands are also taped.[/quote']

totally irrelevant. The tape does little and the glove has already had the effect of give before it gets to the tape.

force = mass x velocity

physics kids, physics.

OP have wet brain syndrome? I think so!

OP pass the 9th grade? I think not!

Not really

Force = Mass x Acceleration

Energy = 1/2 x Mass x Velocity^2

If you cant even get the basics right dont talk about physics

Force unit Newton=kgm/s^2

Velocity m/s Aceleration m/s^2

By looking at the units and basic algebra even your units show your complete failure in physics.

Besides fight physics arent that simple' date=' there are multiple variables that vary a lot, but i would say the movement energy that you can apply to your opponents head is more relevant than the force you need to use to move a glove. That being said ~ bigger the velocity = bigger energy so smaller gloves are easier to accelerate into high speed thus giving you more movement energy, however this is too simplified to be valid in real life conditions. Too many variables.[/quote']

except that science have proved me to be correct.

and i'm sorry, but force does indeed = mass x velocity. along with newton's laws, it's one of the basic principles of physics.

velocity = speed

acceleration = change in speed and/or direction. in physics, slowing down is a form of acceleration.

and to think, you were thisclose to being correct. you're thinking of the elementary school definition of acceleration. i'm using big boy words.

thanks for playing.

force = mass x velocity

physics kids, physics.

Would you rather get hit with one pound of cotton or one pound of bricks.

i started this thread as a simple way to explain that boxing gloves deliver more force per blow. i wasn't rude in any way. then you keyboard geniuses thought "i don't understand what he's saying, and if i don't understand it then it can't be true." pure and simple. it seems that most of you ****es can't comprehend a very simple concept and those who had a chance at understanding it want to add in variables that have nothing to do with the point that i was making. MMA gloves may feel like a harder punch when they strike your face, but boxing gloves are what rattle your brain. it amazes me how many of you attempt to argue FACTS.

by the way, the earth is round and 2+2=4.

anyone care to argue those facts too? oh wait, let me correct myself. the earth is slightly oblong due to the gravitational pull exerted by the moon. this slight "stretching" of the earth is what causes the high and low tides that are present on large bodies of water and the "point" follows the moon on its course around the planet.

i wasn't looking for a fight but peoples lack of comprehension and need to become angry when they are confused shows the true first line of defense for the uneducated- anger. why are so many MMA fans retarded?

a more relevant question would be would you rather get hit by 4oz. of bricks or 16oz. of bricks?

why is this such a difficult concept for people to understand?

16oz of bricks. Because when you throw it, it will go slower than the 4oz which will have a less chance of KO'ing you for me to attack your sorry **** and break your arm.

YOU MY FRIEND R A ****ING IdIOT

force = mass x velocity

physics kids, physics.

An equal force applied to a smaller area. If you don't get it try taking a tack and poking yourself with the blunt end. Doesn't do a whole lot. Now turn it around and use the pointed end. Equal force applied to smaller area = if you cann't understand it you are a ratard.

People always mention throwing punches faster, which equals harder with smaller gloves. With that scenario someone would have to punch 4 times faster to overcome the mass difference in the physics equation. Ive read some where on sherdog in the past there is not really that big of a speed difference between the two. Exactly how much of a difference in surface area is there since everyone here is an expert? Really think about it too, how much of the boxing glove actually hits the face in comparison to how much of the MMA glove hits. 2-3 times the surface area? I would like to see actual measurements. Mythbusters also talked about surface area as far as total force application. They tried seeing how much weight could be lifted through blowing into a straw versus blowing into a small inner tube that had the same surface area of the weights. The larger surface area immensely changed the outcome of total pressure. Bigger gloves would change things both ways.

i see that you are another one of those idiots that is incapable of comprehending what i was saying. boxing glove = more force. pure and simple. i made no statements about dispersion of force yet you made assumptions and then insulted me. MMA gloves may bust your head up more easily' date=' but boxing gloves scramble your brains due to a greater force. however, go ahead and feel free to argue with proven science. let me take a guess: 9th grade education?

news flash: the world is not flat. turns out it's round. care to argue about that one too?[/quote']

When everyone is telling you you're wrong (which you are) then maybe you should listen to what they are saying, and quit being a ****.

All these comparisons are way over exaggerrated someone saying a pound of cotton or a pound of bricks. Comparisons are nice as long as they accurately reflect a scenario. 90 mph fastball or 90 mph bb to the head. (problem being the bb isnt 1/4 the size) So if someone swung a fat wooden bat and hit you in the head it wouldnt be as bad as someone taking the skinny softball bats and hitting you in the head? Its more complicated than everyone thinks.

Unfortunately your elementary level understanding of science leaves out a very simple fact.

Boxing gloves are more padded' date=' which means the impact has GIVE. So the energy does not transfer totally. When the padding GIVES it absorbs a large amount of the force. Like Kevlar.

The small gloves has LESS give, and so translate MORE energy. Like the difference between a nerf bat and a real bat.

So there ya go. I know that you had only a 5th grade understanding of physics. Now I just graduated you up to 7th grade. A few more threads and you might get into highschool.[/quote']

Exactly. Only a fraction of the force is transfered.

Take for example crumple zones in vehicles. The idea behind them is that they give way rather easy and subtract from the force that enters your body in the case of an impact.

The same thing occurs with padding in boxing gloves. The material absorbs the impact to protect the fighter from the amount of force that enters their body.

You're so hung up on the force = mass x speed. Wrap a 16 oz pillow around a bat, hit your self in the head. Try it with out the pillow, accelerate to the same speed and hit yourself in the head. You tell me which one cracks you skull, despite the pillow-bat weighing 16 oz more. Is the force transfered into your body higher... try it and find out.

Archived