What's peoples problem with the swear filter.

wimpygimpet

Despite the recent ban of Cmckay, I've been wondering, Why do people continue to try and avoid the swear filter? I mean why is it so important to let everyone know on the forum that you can curse by changing letters around or using an "@" in stead of an "a". It really makes no sense to me.

Answer this someone and I'll be happy.

Despite the recent ban of Cmckay' date=' I've been wondering, Why do people continue to try and avoid the swear filter? I mean why is it so important to let everyone know on the forum that you can curse by changing letters around or using an "@" in stead of an "a". It really makes no sense to me.

Answer this someone and I'll be happy.[/quote']

In most cases i would say it's because they think it makes them look cool.

Despite the recent ban of Cmckay' date=' I've been wondering, Why do people continue to try and avoid the swear filter? I mean why is it so important to let everyone know on the forum that you can curse by changing letters around or using an "@" in stead of an "a". It really makes no sense to me.

Answer this someone and I'll be happy.[/quote']

for me it is because of joke/story flow.

if the reader sees ***** they can interpret this as being a curse word starting with a B or an F or an S, and if they interpret it WRONG then they will realize after reading the sentence, and have to go back and reread it with the assumed correct word.

it makes reading choppy sometimes, and bad flow destroys a potentially good joke or tall tale.

that being said, I was banned for using my own asterix's so I just curse a little less now, or make sure that it is an obvious one like pile of ****. or mother ****er.

atleast the suffix's are untouched.

that helps.

I PM'ed the mods about an idea where if you use asterix's then it should not be bannable, or if it is not used to insult other members then it should not be bannable.

but a blanket rule is easier to enforce so I dont blame them for rejecting my ****ing genius.

for me it is because of joke/story flow.

if the reader sees ***** they can interpret this as being a curse word starting with a B or an F or an S' date=' and if they interpret it WRONG then they will realize after reading the sentence, and have to go back and reread it with the assumed correct word.

it makes reading choppy sometimes, and bad flow destroys a potentially good joke or tall tale.

that being said, I was banned for using my own asterix's so I just curse a little less now, or make sure that it is an obvious one like pile of ****. or mother ****er.

atleast the suffix's are untouched.

that helps.

I PM'ed the mods about an idea where if you use asterix's then it should not be bannable, or if it is not used to insult other members then it should not be bannable.

but a blanket rule is easier to enforce so I dont blame them for rejecting my ****ing genius.[/quote']

There are tons of other words to use instead of having to curse anyways. I just don't think letting people know you can curse is worth getting banned.

There are tons of other words to use instead of having to curse anyways. I just don't think letting people know you can curse is worth getting banned.

you know as well as anyone else that a curse word can be used to amp up a joke.

I agree that a literate, well worded joke is YEARS ahead of a feces joke, but when you combine the 2 it can be a thing of beauty.

either way, its just a matter of molding the delivery to fit the medium.

I personally think that insulting other posters (eg. you ****ing retard, go drink bleach, etc.) should be enforced MORE than swearing. but it is less objective and more subjective thus you will get more complaining.

for example. posting "randy fans are all retards" would not be a problem because you are not specifically attacking a poster.

but saying "XXXXXXXXX is a ****ing retard" WOULD be bannable because you ARE attacking a specific poster.

thats just my view.

which is worth about as much as the paper it is printed on.

you know as well as anyone else that a curse word can be used to amp up a joke.

I agree that a literate' date=' well worded joke is YEARS ahead of a feces joke, but when you combine the 2 it can be a thing of beauty.[/b']

either way, its just a matter of molding the delivery to fit the medium.

I agree here. Lol.

I posted a picture that had a swear in it.

And apparently... That counts as avoiding the swear filter.

Nice of the mods to tell us that' date=' huh?[/quote']

I recall getting told once to not post pictures with cursing anyways, and with that being said that should be a given anyways.

Sometimes I feel the swear filter is a tad gung ** but its pretyt reasonable.

For instance I was talking about internet filtering which I could not do without using the word ****. I understand why they don't want that word on this site but if viewed in contect it would be fine, not incontext however is an issue.

Didn't know you could get banned for typing "s" followed by 3 *'s etc. I do that sometimes to make the word I was trying to use clear.

So yes it annoys me but its nly because I use swear words to fill gaps in my lexicon therefore a swearing filter will make me my language more complete in other setting where swearing is not acceptable.

So in short its not worth complaing about.

lol

that was actually really funny

If we had a grammer filter here thats what my post would look like.^^

Archived