What did you want in life?

LukeLayzieFlerin

What did you ever want in life, or what do you want? like a dream or something? I'm only 17, which some may consider young but i can't help but think about my future, and i dont know what i want in life, at first i thought It would be cool to be a fighter, something i like, but doesnt that seem average? to be honest i dont want to do what most people do. Settle down have kids and live life, Nah, not me, that's sooo boring, average, i want an adventure. I want something bigger.

Something i can think back on and be proud of, ever looked at the stars and wondered whats out there? wanted a piece of that big space, some adventure to be remembered by, instead of being some average joe paying off his debts.

Well unfortunately for me we don't have the technology to venture into other star systems, atleast not in this lifetime so im forced to settle and be some average joe with a dream that shall never be satisfied. :(

what about you guys?

theres only a few things i want in life.

to see my daughter again' date=' to not make the mistakes of my father and his father before him, to be remembered by those i loved, and leave this world knowing i left it with all i could.[/quote']

Nice, i dunno what it is but i wanna big adventure into space. Or change the world. :P

Nice' date=' i dunno what it is but i wanna big adventure into space. Or change the world. :P[/quote']

you want to see the unimaginable, you want to reach into the unknown and get a glimpse of glory and wonder. Fancies of Grandeur and whimsy, i use to want things like this but i decided i didnt need them, as long as i was happy and loved. but to each there own my friend

you want to see the unimaginable' date=' you want to reach into the unknown and get a glimpse of glory and wonder. Fancies of Grandeur and whimsy, i use to want things like this but i decided i didnt need them, as long as i was happy and loved. but to each there own my friend[/quote']

Snap, you said what i wanted, only i couldn't word it. :D

And yeah to each their own.

Me too' date=' seems so distant and impossible, yet i can't help but want it :/[/quote']

hey keep your chin up, if you want something in life you have to live for it, fight for it, sacrifice for it, and even die for it. You have dreams follow them, its better to have tried for them and found them to be impossible or not to your liking than to spend the rest of your unfulfilled life wondering what could of been. Become the bull and go for the gusto, you want it, you take it my friend.

humble and wholesome' date=' [b']these are great things to seek in life that many take for granted[/b].

Yes sir, I agree

Why is that may i ask? dont you dream of bigger things? did you settle for smaller things? or are you just happy with life ?

Im not sure these are things that mean alot to me,

Am I happy with life? not not really but the good thing is im only 18 and have time to change it.

I'm depressed by the fact theres no way for me to experience the unknown out there' date=' technologically atleast theres no way for me to. This truly saddens and depresses me.[/quote']

yes unfortunately you cant travel faster than the speed of light (its impossible) and thus space travel on large scales is also impossible.. this saddens me a little. but yes i am depressed i grew up so quick, never got to be a little kid. Had to mature fast hell i never even had a bike as a child, never been on one. You grow up fast and hard when you grow up poor and abused... but i will leave for now on this note as in 4 hours i am suppose to be waking up so i should sleep.

yes unfortunately you cant travel faster than the speed of light (its impossible) and thus space travel on large scales is also impossible.. this saddens me a little. but yes i am depressed i grew up so quick' date=' never got to be a little kid. Had to mature fast hell i never even had a bike as a child, never been on one. You grow up fast and hard when you grow up poor and abused... but i will leave for now on this note as in 4 hours i am suppose to be waking up so i should sleep.[/quote']

True...the theory is that the "cosmic speed limit" is "C" or light speed.

BUT....

As once approaches the speed of light...time itself SLOWS...

Meaning that vast tracts of space CAN infact be traversed in a single human lifetime..ASSUMING we can reach anything approaching "C" even 75% would..cumulatively speaking...drastically slow down time relative to "stationary" objects..ie..earth and your destination.

...just a bit of physics input there..

Cheers sir!

-DR

BUT....

Meaning that vast tracts of space CAN infact be traversed in a single human lifetime..ASSUMING we can reach anything approaching "C" even 75% would..cumulatively speaking...drastically slow down time relative to "stationary" objects..ie..earth and your destination.

Cheers sir!

-DR

Thanks for the reply DR!, but here's my question, would it be possible to find life in space in this current lifetime? I read there is going to be a telescope into space, in the year 2014/2015 to look at Alpha Centauri star system, should they find life or a habitable planet can we get there in this lifetime?

Or is it impossible since it would take so long? and if it's possible how long would it take? i have next to no knowledge on the subject, only what i have read online through curiosity.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply DR!' date=' but here's my question, would it be possible to find life in space in this current lifetime? I read there is going to be a telescope into space, in the year 2014/2015 to look at Alpha Centauri star system, should they find life or a habitable planet can we get there in this lifetime?

Or is it impossible since it would take so long? and if it's possible how long would it take? i have next to no knowledge on the subject, only what i have read online through curiosity.

Thanks.[/quote']

the closest potentially life sustaining planet (liquid water) to earth I BELIEVE is near 20 light years (dont quote me.... check the NASA web site)

so anything we see happened 20 years ago.

if they were looking at us they would think we were ****ing awesome because they would be seeing the 90's

BUT....

Cheers sir!

-DR

essentially the ratio of time passed on earth to time passed in the fast ship is equivalent to 1/ root 1-(%)^2

so traveling at 75%c time dilation would be equivalent to 1/ (1-.75^2) = 1/ (1-.5625) = 2.28ish.

for any really drastic time dilation you literally have to be going 99.999999% the speed of light.

then you start to get near 4 degrees of magnitude difference.

(at 99.00% c TD = 7.1 ....... ie for every year the space traveler travels earth will age 7.1years)

at 99.9%c, TD=22 ish

at 99.99%c TD=71 ish

at 99.999%c TD=224 ish

at 99.9999%c TD=707 ish

at 99.99999%c TD=2236 ish

at 99.999999%c TD=7071 ish

so basically, traveling at 99.9% speed of light you would age 1/22 times what you should.

so you could travel for 220 earth years at 99.9% the speed of light and only age 10 years.

that means that IF you were traveling at 99.9% the speed of light you could travel 219.78light years away and only age 10 years.

but earth would age 220 years.

so for DR.

IMO we need to approach atleast 90% c inorder to expect to reach the closest stars in our galaxy.

(assuming we are searching for life sustaining planets)

and I am absolutely ELATED to see a post on special relativity.

what is REALLY ****ed up about SR is the question about 2 space ships flying past each other.

both have a different reference point. both ships are the same length when stationary. ship A sees ship B as being short (length contraction) when they are traveling past each other, ship B sees ship A as being shorter when they are traveling past each other.

ship A shoots a cannon mounted on its tail at a 90degree angle towards ship B immediately when ship A senses that their nose is in line with ship B's tail.

ship A say "no its okay, you are contracted so we will not hit you." ship B says "no way ****er! YOU are contracted, so when OUR tail is in line with your nose, your tail will be dead center on our ship and you will ****ing destroy us!.....stop ****ing around up in here!"

SR will make you see things in a whole new way.

Archived