Sign in to follow this  
brewster

Frankie Edgar vs. Baby Jay Penn

Na he doesn't need to retire. He had a bad gameplan like you said. BJ will come back and will probably climb back up the totem poll in the LW ranks.

no no i dont think he NEEDS to retire, i just said he might. i know hes still a great fighter, he just looked frustrated tonight, and tired and out of shape again. maybe hes losing his love for the whole thing...he even said after he really has to think about things. thats all i was saying, he is for sure still one of the top guys

Na he doesn't need to retire. He had a bad gameplan like you said. BJ will come back and will probably climb back up the totem poll in the LW ranks.

no no i dont think he NEEDS to retire, i just said he might. i know hes still a great fighter, he just looked frustrated tonight, and tired and out of shape again. maybe hes losing his love for the whole thing...he even said after he really has to think about things. thats all i was saying, he is for sure still one of the top guys

bj just couldn't figure frankie out once again. bj probably had a good gameplan but frankie made him fight his fight. bj was staying flat footed most of the time and couldn't string together combos at all. frankie was to fast for him. he seems to get beat mentally before he gets beat physically and it shows. his corner didn't really help much at all. call the other guy what you want but that isn't going to help your fighter. bj needs to refocus and train his mental game as well as physical game. frankie came out showed great hands great movement good wrestling and good bjj defense. bj came out ready to fight but frankie was the better man.

agree hopefully maynard takes the belt away from frankie' date='lol[/quote']

Bitter?

Frankie defently deserves his place in P4P rankings.

He beat the best 155 lb. fighter EVER!!! he isn't in the p4p rankings yet....

maynard got this

Nope.

Got to hand it to Edgar. Penn had a horrible game plan in this fight.

thats funny............ it was the same fight as 112........

Frankie.....may he reign as the top 155er.....for at least a little while.

The end of the Hilo Kid... He stayed one dimensional with stand up waiting to counter or more like waiting.. Whats up with his trainer saying F his speed just go in...Yeah bad advice.. He should have.. Well done something else..

I hate champs that can't finish fights...yup lately GSP is a point champ and so is Edgar, look at his record ( 8 of his 13 wins was by decision) GJ at just being fast and scoring points....PROPS to real champs who finish fights like Shogun, Silva, **** and even Brock finishes fights...

I hate champs that can't finish fights...yup lately GSP is a point champ and so is Edgar' date=' look at his record ( 8 of his 13 wins was by decision) GJ at just being fast and scoring points....PROPS to real champs who finish fights like Shogun, Silva, **** and even Brock finishes fights...[/quote']

Silva doesn't always finish his fights. Not every fight will have a spectacular ending. If you have ever performed in a combat sport you would relize that it's not always easy to finish someone. The biggest failure of this post is that it takes 2 fighters to not end fights. Frankie didn't end the fight and neither did Penn. They both like to play it safe a bit. That's ok though. It just shows that they are both at an elite level where you have to be patience and careful to win the fight. You can't always be too aggressive and do something stupid.

I do understand that GSP fights are a little too cautious, lately anyway. There is a little more excitement needed in GSP's fights. For the most part through, I'm ok with a good tatical battle, it doesn't always have to be the most exciting fight. As long as fighter don't let it become too boring like GSP's fights. I would love to finally see GSP have an exciting fight, like he used too.

I'm pretty surprised Edgar won again! congrats to him. Him vs Gray should be a pretty good fight. I think I'll stick with the champ though and not question him again....

BJ Penn let his fans down last night. He said he was going to do everything differently this time around, but he did the opposite of that -- He tried the exact same thing again. Which for the second time worked out perfectly for Frankie Edgar. But what worked before for Edgar worked even better this time around, because Edgar had more time to work on it and perfect it.

Apparently, BJ failed to figure out what went wrong in the first fight. Standing up, Edgar is just too quick and elusive for him. He feints too much and too well. Keeping your distance and trying to pick your shots was exactly the wrong game plan, and BJ tried it twice.

BJ needed to go Randy Couture on him. He needed to get inside and try to bully Frankie Edgar, maybe grab him and push him to the fence...do a little dirty boxing.

That may not have worked, but it would have had a chance of working. What BJ did had no chance, really, at all of working.

BJ got his **** kicked, but he fought the worst possible fight too. His "game plan" (if you could call it a game plan) was to do exactly what Frankie wanted him to do. It's hard to win a fight that way.

BJ Penn let his fans down last night. He said he was going to do everything differently this time around' date=' but he did the opposite of that -- He tried the exact same thing again. Which for the second time worked out perfectly for Frankie Edgar. But what worked before for Edgar worked even better this time around, because Edgar had more time to work on it and perfect it.

Apparently, BJ failed to figure out what went wrong in the first fight. Standing up, Edgar is just too quick and elusive for him. He feints too much and too well. Keeping your distance and trying to pick your shots was exactly the wrong game plan, and BJ tried it twice.

BJ needed to go Randy Couture on him. He needed to get inside and try to bully Frankie Edgar, maybe grab him and push him to the fence...do a little dirty boxing.

That may not have worked, but it would have had a chance of working. What BJ did had no chance, really, at all of working.

BJ got his **** kicked, but he fought the worst possible fight too. His "game plan" (if you could call it a game plan) was to do exactly what Frankie wanted him to do. It's hard to win a fight that way.[/quote']

Well said.....

BJ really disappointed last night... arguably the most talented fighter in the world dosen't train to be the best fighter in the world.

Gray totally bullied him in their last fight.

Hope Frankie has improved a lot or he will be a 1 defense champ.

That fight was over two years ago, so they have probably both improved since then.

well' date=' they didnt even give him any advice

they were calling edgar **** sucker, and every 2nd was was F this and F that

only advice they gave him, was to chuck a leg kick, which BJ done

maybe if they acted mature and properly, BJ might of had a descent chance

BJ needs new cornermen and camp[/quote']

LOL the advice was awful, but I can promise you BJ Penn will not change his camp or get rid of his brothers as cornermen. I think BJ should have turned it into a wrestling/clinch match, even if Edgar outwrestled him if it would have been on the ground for a majority of the fight then BJ would have eventually got something. Especially with the way Edgars arms were just laying on the mat.

It was dissapointing to see BJ lose, but come on people. Give respect where respect is due. Frankie, I'm sure trained harder than he has ever trained for a fight, maybe he trained harder then BJ, maybe BJ trained as hard as he could. Stop saying BJ didn't try, or BJ sucks. Frankie Edgar is a great fighter, he deserves to be the champion after beating BJ twice.

Ok I gotta say I doubted Edgar could repeat his performance. I thought BJ was going to win.

I was wrong. Edgar proved me wrong with his dominant 50-45 UD over Penn. I give the Champ all the respect he deserves, and I'm sorry I didn't offer that respect fully after the first fight. Edgar is the man at 155.

He is the true UFC LW champ. He is BJ's kryptonite.

I must admit that I was stunned that BJ Penn failed to adapt a NEW strategy for the fight. I honestly felt like he would make the adjustments necessary to negate Edgar's stick and move game. BJ failed to entertain a new game plan until about the fourth round when he got a take down. Why on earth didn't Penn attempt a grappling game early in the fight? I don't know why he just ALLOWED Edgar to stick in move, stick and shoot, and use his AMAZING speed and footwork to literally keep BJ off balance the whole fight.

I'm amazed that Penn's camp didn't attempt a new strategy. While Penn did get a take down late in the fight, and had a back mount triangle, and almost switched it to a full mount which could have lead to the win for Penn, his inability to adapt his strategy was the flaw in his armor. His 1 dimensional approach, (stalk and bang + stuff take downs) failed miserably twice now. Edgar's (High energy, speedy footwork, stick and move, random take down) strategy was WAY more dynamic than Penn's approach. And for it Penn loses his chance to regain the belt for several fights and possibly forever.

I'd love to see Penn get a feisty corner man. A real MMA coach who can challenge him.

Ahem. Great job Frankie. Good luck stopping the Maynard train. Mr. Gray 'Patience' Maynard will be a real tough test. Maynard has a very very different style than Penn. It will be a tactical war for sure.

As many of you know Frankie "The Answer" Edgar won against BJ Penn. With that said what do you think will Penn do: Keep fighting, retire, or sum else. Also do you think edgar has/will follow in Penn's footsteps.

OK' date=' how much do you regret saying this lol:p[/quote']

It's from the same moron who thinks Aldo will be KO'ing Lesnar in a few years.

Stupid **** kids around here.

totally agree with prior posters - bj has incredible talent but terrible strategy - its like he made no adjustments since abu dhabi. he could in on the ground yet only ONE takedown attempt????? Dam bj - forget your buddies and get the training and coaching you need.